Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PC-configuration suited for painter/photoshop?

Thanks

PC-configuration suited for painter/photoshop?

I want to buy a new pc or mac. I would like to know what it should have to be merely used for digital painting with Painter and PS. I am also having doubts between choosing a mac or a pc.

PC: Currently i have a Celeron 2.66GHz; 2x512mb ddr400; 256mb radeon9600 AGP8x and a 17inch LCD. I know 1gb ddr-ram memory is a minimum for drawing, but what about processors and videocards? Do they have to be top-notch or can i buy a pc with a celeron/sempron and no videocard? I also like to spend as little as possible on a new pc. A flat crt monitor is obviously cheaper then LCD/TFT, but they are getting rare. I dont mind that it's big, but is there a difference when using a LCD or CRT for digital drawing?

Mac: I just saw some information on the Mini-Mac and it seems to be a lot less powerfull then what my PC has now. I heard though that the mini-mac IS enough for digital painting. Offcourse i have to upgrade it's ddr to 1gb or more, but do i have to also include the Superdrive? Or should i buy a i-Mac G5 instead? I would like to spend as little money on a Mac as possible.

So can anyone tell me what i should buy??? Keep in mind that i want to spend as little as possible on a new pc/mac.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    If you want to get into 3D Game company, you want a PC.......game nerds vomit on Macs, usually because they're not compatible with current games and 3D Software.

If you are strictly illustration and you deal with print shops a lot, you want to buy a Mac. Print shops use Macs a great deal. Supposedly, 1 ghz of Mac is like 2 ghz of an Intel PC, supposedly....Mac users despise PC's because they got more viruses then a dog has fleas.

There are people out there, who know a hell a lot more about computers then you or I, who feel Macs are more elegant and user friendly:
    http://www.paulgraham.com/mac.html

Personally, I think all computers become junk in a couple of years...look at Silicon Graphics...during the late 90's those computers were touted as the best and you paid a premium price for less then 500mhz of power. People eventually figured out you could get a retail computer at a store with the same amount of power for 1/3 the price. People felt suckered and no longer were they the next hyped up computer.

Basically, I'm just saying a computer is a tool, and a less expensive one nowadays. Just get what works. You can use Photoshop and Painter on a PC or Mac, and at this point I doubt it matters....unless you got skills of a Craig Mullins?

WHat you should really worry about is getting a Wacom.

I have a PowerMac 7600 in my closet, and I built a dual CPU AMD 2GHZ computer....my 4th PC built computer. It's cheaper to build then buy, usually.
    Last edited by NoSeRider; November 29th, 2005 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Have you tried running the demos of Painter and PS on your existing setup?

You might not even need a new pc.

WHat you should really worry about is getting a Wacom.
    Agreed, no point getting that shiny new box then trying to draw with a mouse. Wacom and/or a scanner should be a priority.

Thanks
    Thx for your advice NoseRider!!! I forgot to tell though that i already have a wacom graphire 4. The reason i want a new pc/mac is because i want to have one in my own room so i dont have to wait for my turn (living with 2 younger brothers is a hell). The PC i currently use PainterIX trial on is of my parents and it sits in our livingroom.

Thanks
    if u want a fancy, stable machine get a mac but be prepared to pay more. Good thing is that mac's resell alot better since there is always some advertising company buyin em.

Pc sure is a bit more difficult to "use" but cheaper and u also have alot more freedom if u wanna ad or upgrade parts and prgramms. U just get more performance for ur money if u do it right,though in order to acces this performance u need to keep fighting with the OS ^^'.

Then again mac is converting to amd chips wich pretty much opened the road to a mac OS version for pc.

Thanks
    i currently have a mac mini right now.... im running painter9 and photoshopCS and it works just fine in most respects. of course loads are slower but once you get the program up... all is well. i upgraded to a gig of ram of course. for what its worth, the mini fits my needs. i will def. be upgrading to a G5 soon however.... the mini won't last much longer im afraid.

good luck.
    "Cause now we say goodnight
    from our own separate sides
    like brothers on a hotel bed"
    ~Benjamin Gibbard

WWW.ARTOFCOLE.COM

Sketchbook

Keep a rockin conceptart

Thanks
    Ok i think i know now what im going to buy, but what about the display? Is a cheap CRT good enough if i dont mind the space it uses or is a more expensive LCD better?

Thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardjet2174
    Is a cheap CRT good enough if i dont mind the space it uses or is a more expensive LCD better?
    Personally I think you get a better value with CRT displays. If you end up getting a Mac you can buy a 2nd smaller CRT to keep many of the larger tool palettes so you can have an unobstructed view of your work and save time having to constantly show/hide the palettes. Since the Mac Mini is a very stripped-down version of a standard Mac, I don't know if it is capable of dual monitors. Check before you buy a 2nd monitor.
    Mark Hannon
    Art Direction & Design
    Online Portfolio

Thanks
    NoSeRider:
    Thanks for the link http://www.paulgraham.com/mac.html

that really helped me deciding. By the way, I ll get a MAC.
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my'sketchbox

Thanks
    I'm sticking with my Toshiba Laptop. =P
    I get better support for linux under an x86 platform than powerpc could offer at this stage, but with the PS3 i have definitely considered taking a test drive.

Now on topic, My laptop has a 2.2ghz Pentium 4-M, 512mb mb of RAM, 60gig HD [200gig external USB2], and a 32mb Geforce 4 460 Go.

So far it's been able to handle what i've thrown at it beautifully, although with no space to brag.
    I am running Debian (Linux), with the applications GIMP, Inkscape, Blender and Moho.
    GIMP being the most intensive since there is no work arounds for getting more detail without increasing the resource usage past where my system can handle it smoothly.
    I usually work in GIMP at 1600x1200, 6 layers and 30 step undo history.

Debian in my opinion completely kicks MacOS's ass in convenience and efficiency, but there is the huge learning curve and non-standard software to put into consideration. (No Painter)
    But since i couldn't afford that kind of software anyway, i'm happy working with free opensource tools which get the job done and let me drool for new features every month.
    But since we are talking painter and photoshop, chances are those applications have been optimised for Macintosh.
    And also there's the whole Mac to Intel move going on...
    With so much going on i can't say what's better cause it could soon change. =|

Your primary concern is with memory, 512mb is the bare minimum.
    Most recent CPU's will do fine, and Storage/3D is up to you.
    Also remember to factor in prices for all the necessary peripherals, Monitors etc.
    You'll have to do some research aswell, while a CRT may get you more bang for your buck, that bang does hurt your eyes.
    Always keep ergonomics in mind.

Good luck on your bargain hunting.
    Last edited by sciboy; November 30th, 2005 at 11:36 AM.

Thanks
    question one : Will you be buying PS and Painter to install on a mac?
    Keep aware that,... software is still not as wide distributed for that platform.

Question 2 : What will be the primary use of the computer? What do you need it for?
    If it's mainly graphic programs as Ps and painter you just need enough ram. A fast and big HD. and that's basically it. Check out the platforms some of the pro's are running. You'll see that they're not on the fastest, most expensive computers. Invest in enough ram and you'll be safe for painting a couple years.

Personally, I still like CRT monitors. Just because of the light they produce. I would set up 2 monitors if I can choose. One big crt (22inch ) for work. and a smaller lcd for other things ( desktop view, internet,.. )
    www.tomvandewouwer.com

"There is no such thing as 'accurate drawing'. There is beautiful
    drawing, and ugly, and nothing else." JAD Ingres, Ecrits sur l'art
    (1780-1865)"

Thanks
    i´d buy a mac

if i had 5 state of the art pcs already

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast