Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Creature Design process 101

Thanks
    Holy cow, I hope that mine aren't too rough and funny-looking. Good work everyone!!

Creature Design process 101
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Is it too late to participate in this? I'd really love some practise and feel I can still meet the deadlines.
    EDIT: Otherwise, I'd be happy to go on the list for a future topic.

Cheers
    Last edited by 4thAngle; December 3rd, 2005 at 02:00 PM.

Thanks
    OK so here are my 3. Im gonna colour them in a bit.

Ill post em here if im happy with em, or if i need to make changes, just let me know mike, ill draw over my originals.

im not to sure though about these - if ive strayed to far from the original selected design by adding alot - or if this much variation is good at this stage.

Let me know what you think.

Creature Design process 101
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Lee@- Please refer to this thread http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56818
    , and you will find the answers to your questions. The activity for this round is closed and I'm not sure if there will be a round 2 or 3.

4thangel@- Please refer to this thread http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56818
    , and you will find the answers to your questions. The activity for this round is closed and I'm not sure if there will be a round 2 or 3.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gloominati@- I'm going to have you move ahead with number 7. I wanted to point some things out though. First off is when you present thumbnails, make sure their clearly presented, which means if they need to be defined, copy the layer and then choose multiply to bring out all the details and give them more contrast. Second, evenly space and label them with type face letters so I can easily read the letters, it took me a second to realize which letters were which and that you even numbered them
    The thumbnails that have a section circled are not defined enough. They do not indicate enough form or detail for me to even understand the concept and are too plain to warrant anything "exotic". So keep that in mind for next time. The thumbnails that have an X next to them just wouldn't even be accepted because they were way beyond rough, and it was hard for me to even understand the design,form or concept. If their not clear enough, then I can't assume what you have in mind so next time make them a little more defined and clearer, but move on to round 2 for now. btw- number 1 & 4 were too similar in their pose and design that I would have only considered them to be 1 idea.
    Now what I'd like to see you do with number 7 is wean yourself away from the duck billed platypus face. You can keep the beak but make it less identifiable as a platypus, show me something reminiscent in the design that would lead me to understand this has an antelopes genes. When you show me the next 3 variations, give me a better view of this guy, rather than a top down view. I'd like to see either a 3/4 view head on, or a side view for at least one of the variations in step 2.
    Number 7 is approved. Move to step 2
    Last edited by Mike Corriero; May 27th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Mike- Okay I am not happy with the results that turned out with this thumbnails. I know that I wouldn't get a seccond chance in a real job but since there are 3 days left to the deadline, let me do this part of the activity again, please. would that be okay??
    -----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    PHATandy@- Here are some ideas, and mark-ups on your designs with the original approved thumbnail next to them.
    On your number 1 design, I drew over a quick rough skeleton just so you guys keep in mind that this thing DOES have a skeleton even though it's going to be fictional.
    The reason for the skeleton is because in both your number 1 and number 3 designs, the tail was bent to an extreme awkward position, so you can see in the skeleton how I just gave the tail a smoother curve, so that it looks and feels more natural.
    In your number 2 design, I did a draw over to show you that you could exaggerate the side fin more, to make it stand out and to give it more of an interesting look. The tail wasn't grooving too well with the "exotic" feel so I made it more intricate. I also adjusted the fins and face a bit, and changed up the horns. It's not sooo different from what you presented but I think it has more appeal and interest to it now. So you don't have to draw what I just posted but keep in mind the crits and mark-ups/paint overs.
    I think overall all 3 were a little too similar, so remember that as long as it has the same feel as the approved design, you can push the ideas a little further in the variation stage so that I have more options to choose from.

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by Mike Corriero; May 27th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Gloominati- If your up to it, by all means go ahead, you still have time left before the deadline.
    In an actual job I probably wouldn't do that only because you have to make sure your first impression impresses the client don't feel too bad, it's a learning process. So if your up to redesign some of the thumbs or "all" of them, I would really respect that. If you don't have the time though, just move on with number 7.
    I will crit your next round of thumbs if you decide to post a new set.

Thanks
    The deadline specific date for step 1 will be on Dec. 6th 5PM USA, NYC time
    If you live in a different country or different coast of USA, just go back to page one and check the time zone definitions link I posted next to the schedule.
    Last edited by Mike Corriero; December 4th, 2005 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks
    Do you want me to redraw these 3 out then and work on them more? (is ok with me i guess) or shall i just work on one of these of your choice.

Thanks alot for the draw over though, I would have never though about the skeleton. really makes me realise the misttakes in it. Ill work on them some tomorrow if need be then.

Thanks mike.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    If you have the time and the means, please try to fix them up with some of the suggestions I posted. If nothing major, just fix the minor issues like the bad bends in the tails and if possible maybe adjust little things here or there.

If you seriously do not have the time, then go ahead with coloring them and then I will comment on the specifics of step 2 and critique each. You have until the 9th though just so you know

Thanks
    hehe, time is relative, there is enough time left to do hundrets of thumbnails. Well it is later over here in Germany( right now it'S 10.30 PM) than in NYC, so I needn't be afraid that I show my results too late by mistake.
    Okay cool, I will go right back drawing to show some acceptable thumbnails. I just wanna be happy with the stuff I do
    -----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook