Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Creature Design process 101

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D
    deadline extensions are one of my favorite things in life.

Mike, you mentioned you posting some example thumbs to indicate level of detail etc. Are you still thinking of doing this? (please)

Craig
    I will really try yo actually participate in this myself, especially the first round so that people get the idea of what I have in mind. I'll have to see when I can get around to the thumbnails as quick as possible, maybe at least just to post 2 for an example. I'm kind of booked with actual work so I'm trying to fit this activity in with any spare time I have.

Bdfoster- cool OK

Scumgrinder@- yes the quality of details is OK, perhaps suggesting a bit more might help to better illustrate the ideas but this is pretty good for a start. When you guys post the thumbnails, they should probably be half this size, and Numbered, fitting all 10 at once on an 8 x 12 sized file at 72 dpi.

Make sure each has a number next to them.

PHATandy@- Interesting ideas for a start. Like I mentioned to Scumgrinder, post the thumbnails at about half this size, with the numbers next to each all 10 at once on one sheet at approx 8 x 12 at 72 dpi. Don't post descriptions on the sheet with the drawings, but if you have ideas and suggestions or comments about some of your designs, post the comments separate below the image like so:
    #1: I was going for a design with larger horns
    #2: I think this one would look interesting if he had 4 fins instead of feet
    etc.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    ok so here are my thumbnails:

Creature Design process 101

Thanks
    Nice Work Scumgrinder
    I'll post critiques and comments tomorrow/today since it's almost 6 a.m. here and I haven't slept yet
    I was working up my 10 thumbnails so people would get an idea where I was looking to head with the first step.
    I will provide comments for your thumbnails, as well as choose the one that will be taken to step two and give you some suggestions and advice on that specific design chosen, so that you can produce the 3 rough color variations.

Making the thumbnails clean, presentable, labeled individually with numbers and evenly spaced will help to show professionalism when dealing with a client. It just makes it more presentable and easier for them to view the designs.

This really isn't about me; so it's not important but if you guys like, you can feel free to suggest which thumbnail I should continue with. I will only really be doing this to motivate people, and to demonstrate how it should/could be handled in a professional manner.
    Last edited by Mike Corriero; November 30th, 2005 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks
    scumgrinder: I like the shapes of 8 and 7, would love to see more detailed versions.
    PHATandy: I like 1 and 4 ( ? ) with the orca pattern. You could push the contrast a little, add numbers, and use the page format requested.
    MIKECORRIERO: I like 8 and 9, but I would go with 10, because of the more horizontal shape of the creature, and practical saddle. I would change the horns though, use the horns of 8 or 9.

I hope it was allright to post that
    Just my thoughts
    Last edited by brokk; November 30th, 2005 at 10:16 AM. Reason: forgot to include PHATandy

Thanks
    Thanks mike that helps alot with the idea of how to go about the thumbnails...we thought of some of the same ideas...yours look much better though haha...number one all the way...that's my pick at least

Thanks
    Awesome, i like both scumgrinders and mikes, you thumbs are cool.

Ill shrink em up and put them all together though. 1 thing i find hard though is getting them all on a nice white background. When i change contrast and so on, i end up with horrible spots and shit appearing (smudges and all that crap). Ill try going over with a darker pencil line (maybe black fineliner ?) and maybe some small shading.
    Ill work on the presentation a little more. I can see how it needs to be done but often i find it hard to make sketches look presentable etc.

Ill finish up my designs, add some stuff more detail (although there thumbnails i still dont like em )

Ill update soon.
    PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    PHATandy, I adjusted a little the contrast of one of your images, no smudges or major marks showed up... only a few little dots that you can touch up with the brush tool.

Thanks
    Scumgrinder@- I really like the ideas and style of 3,4,7,8 and 9
    I like 7 because I can imagine him with legs similar to a seal, but maybe their a bit more sturdy and allow him to actually Stand on two feet, but when he enters the water, he can use them as flippers and maneuver easily through the water. It would be really cool to see him moving about like a seal rather quickly in the water and as he heads toward the shore he quickly goes from a swim to a run - kind of like a hover craft in some respects.

Number 7 gets my approval. I'd like to see you try some variations on his design possibly mixing in some of the ideas you have going on with number 3, with multiple horns. Also try working out ideas similar to what I mentioned about the flipper/feet and maybe some variations of the tail being more useful when the creature would be in swim mode. Maybe his body could bend downward a bit more, so his forelimbs touch the ground when he's resting on land.

So now move on to the second step, keeping in mind my suggestions. Start to focus more on refining his characteristics and details, show me some variations but don't stray too far from number 7's overall appearance. Show me 3 variations with some rough color presenting ideas of spots, stripes, designs in coloration of skin etc.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Broken_Spirit@- Yes, it's perfectly fine for you guys to help each other out and post comments about each others work. Just remember though guys that I'll give the approval for each step so don't go forward with a design that someone else picks out but keep in mind their critiques and suggestions. As for my own designs, I agree about 8 and 9, I also liked 1 but I'll have to make them a bit more practical for maneuvering and mount-ability like sketch 10. Thanks for the feedback Broken

MindCandyMan@- No problem, I figured I better post something just so you guys could see the size of the thumbnails, variation of ideas, and how to present them. I also liked number 1 because he was the most "far-out" as far as being different from the rest.

PHATandy@- Just work out your thumbnails on paper or on the computer at a comfortable size, you can work out the sketches all on one sheet or each on individual sheets, whatever is easiest for you. The only thing that counts is when you present the work to the client. Scan each sketch in, in Photoshop you can cut and paste each on its own layer, use the brightness/contrast options to adjust the levels and get rid of any gray lines or smudges lines. You should also go in and erase any excess smudging or gray lines when necessary. Something else you can do to get rid of the grey is by using the "replace color" option and clicking on the grey, then changing the brightness to make it white. When each sketch is on its own layer, you can use the multiply layer option to help get rid of the white so each sketch can be placed closer to the other without the white paper overlapping. I hope that helps.

Thanks
    Here are some sketches, i've finished today. I'd like to know if i am going to a right direction with theese...

too loose?
    needs more exaggeration?

Last edited by Inkfish; November 30th, 2005 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks
    what fun!
    be interesting to see and understand how this will all play out.
    i agree, mike - scum's #7 was my fav too.
    have fun all, can't wait to see em all.
    cheers,
    d
    There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Inkfish@- Yea a "bit" more exaggeration and exotic quality will help. It might be better to "over-step" the exaggeration than under-step it. In my designs I even underplayed the exaggeration but will work it out in step 2. So just continue on with the remaining thumbnails and then I'll give you a crit.
    Number 5 right now I would say is a ways away from the design brief, looking a little too threatening and insect-like, other than that I'll wait for the rest before commenting so I don't interrupt your personal design sense for the initial step.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something to remember guys is to bring your own unique styles and design sense to these concepts. This is something that happens to a lot of people myself included where.. you kind of hold back from being unique and as creative as you can be because you feel like you need to be so confined to the topic that you will put limitations on "yourself". Just try to have fun and don't forget that looking at images of exotic fish, amphibians, other types of antelope will really help to give you ideas.

Thanks
    ***Image Reposted Later in Thread****

Never done anything like this before so I will take all the help and critiques you can offer hehe. Thanks again for doing this Mike this is really really great and it gives us a real handle on what to expect in the future. Thanks! So what are the real timelines that are given?...cause I know you've given us a break haha.
    Last edited by MindCandyMan; December 1st, 2005 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks
    Hey Mindcandyman@- Looking really good, nice variations and ideas - do me a favor and just repost it with numbers next to each so I can easily comment on them and choose the one that will be approved.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    about the deadline - yes I gave you guys a whole shiiiit loooad of time more than you really get for this kind of project. To give you an idea basically right now I'm working on a job doing 3-4 rough sketches for each creature design that are approx 5 x 8 inches big and some in color, and continuing to refine and change things based on the clients suggestions and mark-ups. I then have to create a honed color version as well as black and white ortho views ( front, side, back ) for a total of 13 creatures. To kind of put it in perspective I have to have done all of those pretty much in the same amount of time I'm giving you guys for this 1 creature concept

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast