Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my thumbnails.

Creature Design process 101

peace

d-C

Last edited by dCepT; December 5th, 2005 at 09:49 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dcept@- you made it really hard to choose one
    I was torn between 3 and 8
    I think I'd like to see number 3 developed more though since the leg designs with the fins and feet looked really interesting. He would also be quicker at running than number 8
    I would say when you move on to step 2, to try out something in between 3 and 8 and develop the design of number 3 by trying different more exotic horns and perhaps bigger more exaggerated forward facing ears. I think the tail on number 3 is cool too, maybe you could exaggerate it a bit more, make it longer and curled more into a ball like a chameleon lizard.
    Move on to step 2

Last edited by Mike Corriero; May 27th, 2007 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Red_Rook
    Gloominati
    Floris Didden
    Evil_Sloth
    Interceptor
    ngnorden <--- I have not yet heard from you on whether or not you know this has started.
    Craig D

You guys have approx 3-4 days left, I would prefer that they be handed in within 3 days

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MIKECORRIERO
    Red_Rook
    Gloominati
    Floris Didden
    Evil_Sloth
    Interceptor
    ngnorden <--- I have not yet heard from you on whether or not you know this has started.
    Craig D

You guys have approx 3-4 days left, I would prefer that they be handed in within 3 days

yeah man, have just finished my thunderdome piece, that I have to hand in on monday, now I have got MUUUUUCH time for this activity!!

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can i participate or is it to late or is there a registration process im not aware of

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy cow, I hope that mine aren't too rough and funny-looking. Good work everyone!!

-----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it too late to participate in this? I'd really love some practise and feel I can still meet the deadlines.
    EDIT: Otherwise, I'd be happy to go on the list for a future topic.

Cheers

Last edited by 4thAngle; December 3rd, 2005 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK so here are my 3. Im gonna colour them in a bit.

Ill post em here if im happy with em, or if i need to make changes, just let me know mike, ill draw over my originals.

im not to sure though about these - if ive strayed to far from the original selected design by adding alot - or if this much variation is good at this stage.

Let me know what you think.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lee@- Please refer to this thread http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56818
    , and you will find the answers to your questions. The activity for this round is closed and I'm not sure if there will be a round 2 or 3.

4thangel@- Please refer to this thread http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56818
    , and you will find the answers to your questions. The activity for this round is closed and I'm not sure if there will be a round 2 or 3.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gloominati@- I'm going to have you move ahead with number 7. I wanted to point some things out though. First off is when you present thumbnails, make sure their clearly presented, which means if they need to be defined, copy the layer and then choose multiply to bring out all the details and give them more contrast. Second, evenly space and label them with type face letters so I can easily read the letters, it took me a second to realize which letters were which and that you even numbered them
    The thumbnails that have a section circled are not defined enough. They do not indicate enough form or detail for me to even understand the concept and are too plain to warrant anything "exotic". So keep that in mind for next time. The thumbnails that have an X next to them just wouldn't even be accepted because they were way beyond rough, and it was hard for me to even understand the design,form or concept. If their not clear enough, then I can't assume what you have in mind so next time make them a little more defined and clearer, but move on to round 2 for now. btw- number 1 & 4 were too similar in their pose and design that I would have only considered them to be 1 idea.
    Now what I'd like to see you do with number 7 is wean yourself away from the duck billed platypus face. You can keep the beak but make it less identifiable as a platypus, show me something reminiscent in the design that would lead me to understand this has an antelopes genes. When you show me the next 3 variations, give me a better view of this guy, rather than a top down view. I'd like to see either a 3/4 view head on, or a side view for at least one of the variations in step 2.
    Number 7 is approved. Move to step 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mike- Okay I am not happy with the results that turned out with this thumbnails. I know that I wouldn't get a seccond chance in a real job but since there are 3 days left to the deadline, let me do this part of the activity again, please. would that be okay??

-----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PHATandy@- Here are some ideas, and mark-ups on your designs with the original approved thumbnail next to them.
    On your number 1 design, I drew over a quick rough skeleton just so you guys keep in mind that this thing DOES have a skeleton even though it's going to be fictional.
    The reason for the skeleton is because in both your number 1 and number 3 designs, the tail was bent to an extreme awkward position, so you can see in the skeleton how I just gave the tail a smoother curve, so that it looks and feels more natural.
    In your number 2 design, I did a draw over to show you that you could exaggerate the side fin more, to make it stand out and to give it more of an interesting look. The tail wasn't grooving too well with the "exotic" feel so I made it more intricate. I also adjusted the fins and face a bit, and changed up the horns. It's not sooo different from what you presented but I think it has more appeal and interest to it now. So you don't have to draw what I just posted but keep in mind the crits and mark-ups/paint overs.
    I think overall all 3 were a little too similar, so remember that as long as it has the same feel as the approved design, you can push the ideas a little further in the variation stage so that I have more options to choose from.

I hope that helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloominati- If your up to it, by all means go ahead, you still have time left before the deadline.
    In an actual job I probably wouldn't do that only because you have to make sure your first impression impresses the client don't feel too bad, it's a learning process. So if your up to redesign some of the thumbs or "all" of them, I would really respect that. If you don't have the time though, just move on with number 7.
    I will crit your next round of thumbs if you decide to post a new set.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The deadline specific date for step 1 will be on Dec. 6th 5PM USA, NYC time
    If you live in a different country or different coast of USA, just go back to page one and check the time zone definitions link I posted next to the schedule.

Last edited by Mike Corriero; December 4th, 2005 at 04:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you want me to redraw these 3 out then and work on them more? (is ok with me i guess) or shall i just work on one of these of your choice.

Thanks alot for the draw over though, I would have never though about the skeleton. really makes me realise the misttakes in it. Ill work on them some tomorrow if need be then.

Thanks mike.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have the time and the means, please try to fix them up with some of the suggestions I posted. If nothing major, just fix the minor issues like the bad bends in the tails and if possible maybe adjust little things here or there.

If you seriously do not have the time, then go ahead with coloring them and then I will comment on the specifics of step 2 and critique each. You have until the 9th though just so you know

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe, time is relative, there is enough time left to do hundrets of thumbnails. Well it is later over here in Germany( right now it'S 10.30 PM) than in NYC, so I needn't be afraid that I show my results too late by mistake.
    Okay cool, I will go right back drawing to show some acceptable thumbnails. I just wanna be happy with the stuff I do

-----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, as promised, here are my new thumbnails:

-----------------------

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Evil_Sloth@- I'd like to see you go with number 7
    I think it would make more sense if the legs bent back and then forward similar to the back legs of an antelope. He would have the appearance of something that can run quicker, and I think it would look more natural. I really liked the head on number 3 so maybe try to keep that same characteristic and light-hearted face in the 3 variations for step 2. Some of these were heading away from the direction of exaggerated, exotic and fun, so try to think more about that and the idea of colorful when you move on to step 2.
    Numbers 3, 7, 10 appealed to me the most, and I kinda liked the distinct difference of number 4 with how you gave him a hovercraft-like feeling.
    Number 7 has approval- move to step 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    old user discard this

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gloominati@- The one that resembled the description the closest was number 3 so I'm going to have you move ahead with that one. I think I'd like to see a couple variations on the body though, maybe something similar to number 1's body.
    A couple of these were geared too much toward other animals and didn't have enough features to show it was related to an antelope.
    Number 1: Lizard/frog
    Number 2: Hippo
    Number 4: Turtle
    Number 7: Frog
    Those were some of the ones that resembled other animals more than the one described "antelope". Try breaking the description a client gives you down into sections. You can take specific words and place them on a sheet along with the name of the creature from the description to refer to while your drawing. This way you can keep better track of what the client wants, when they send you a large brief that might seem confusing.
    For example:
    Waterlope:
    Exaggerated
    Antelope
    mammal
    amphibian
    beautiful
    exotic

So take the advice I gave you, move forward with number 3 and have some fun with the 3 variations step. move to step 2

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Mike I just now found the thread by luck. ~1 day left... I'll do what I can

Dec 6th at 0 AM?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dec. 6th 5PM
    USA, NYC time - go to the first page of this thread and check the link provided in the first post. The Link says "time zone definitions". It will give you the direct NYC time so you'll know exactly what time it is where I'm at.

It's now Sunday Dec 4th at 3PM here in NYC so you have more than 1 day left

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks interesting. I'd like to participate if possible. I'll start on it just in case.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Imager777- Your welcome to participate in this on your own time, but the only people this is Open to, for posting and receiving feedback and crits are the ones on the list on the first page, sorry.
    There are already people who applied for a round 2 and 3, which may or may not take place. There is a thread located in the lounge with more info about signing up but I had also posted a request that no more participants pm me until I indicate an open round.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No prob., thanks for the quick response. I usually only check a couple forums around here, periodically; so I miss all this good stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm afraid to post... lol but here they are:

I really got frustrated because I couldn't come up with anything original, that's why some of the thumbnails plainly suck.
    Let me know if they aren't passable.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unless I somehow missed your thumbs, you guys on this list here still owe me 10 thumbs. You have until Dec. 6th 5PM USA,NYC time. check the first post for Time Zone Definitions to find out what time it is where I live.
    Floris Didden
    Interceptor
    ngnorden
    Craig D

One space opened up because someone had to drop out for personal reasons, something that was more important and I agree. However I don't think there's enough time to fill a slot with someone from round 2, because I can't PM people plus there is only approx 26 and a half hours left.

Profil <- I'll crit your thumbs as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MIKECORRIERO .. I just wanted to thank you for doing this .. It is very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have.. the utmost respect for creature artists now. This is the hardest thing I have ever done. I'm almost shamed to post mine in the company of everyone else's.. nevertheless.. I gave it my best, for a first attempt at drawing creatures..

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1