Art: Talent?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Talent?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talent?

How do you know if you have talent or not?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a really good question, and you're going to hear different answers on this.

So here's mine. After drawing, painting, illustrating, airbrushing, singing (karaoke songs), and dancing in a folkloric dance troup in my community college days ( I went there for the girls - really...), I would have to say that "talent" is just identifying something that you're good at. Now, you have to compare your talent with similiar interests, and see where you stand. I, myself, thought I was really "talented" in art until I picked up some art books by some fantasy masters, of whom I could compare my work. That blew me away, and I realized that I was not as "talented" as I had hoped. But nonetheless, I was still better at drawing than other (artists), but others surpassed me in painting. So you could look at this from a relative standpoint, it all depends who or what you want to compare your work to.

"Talent" can be applied to all professions; a nuero-surgeon, a lawyer, an architect, a singer, and so on. So how do you know if you have talent? If you are able to create artwork, then you have talent. If it's not up to par with professional levels, then you simply need to keep doing it more often. With me, I had extreme difficulty drawing a portrait of someone back in high school - I mean I really sucked at drawing people. In college, I tried it again and suddenly I got good. I honestly have no idea how I got good, but something inside me came out and I was able to draw people's faces and expressions. "Talent" suddenly appeared for me, but I relate it to my previous state of artistic ability. Hope this makes sense.

Please read others' opinions also...8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you will know when a skill is sitting inside you as naturally as the nose in your face and you dont even guestionnalise it, this is the first thing that comes to my mind, from there I begin to wonder what you yourself are running after by asking this ?

Are you good at drawing but you are not sure if you are good enough ?

I would rather ask or you should rather ask yourself what do you want from life ?

Then when you know what you want from it you will use all the talents to get where you want.

You cannot stop living just because you feel like there is someone out there who is more talented than you and you have lost the battle before you began it even.

What I mean to say is that whatever talent God has given you, if you have the burning desire and A VISION that you want to do something, you must go for it, thats your life and your declaration of existance in the world, your battlecry and mating potentiality underlined

After all we are our own God's and we make life what we want it to be.

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by solorpower
    how I got good, but something inside me came out and I was able to draw people's faces and expressions. "Talent" suddenly appeared for me, but I relate it to my previous state of artistic ability. Hope this makes sense.

the same thing happened to me too, when I was in primary school I was good at drawing-since 4 years old I was having the intuitive approach to music visual things etc....then I stepped into adulthood life and was not doing my arts again, I had not even touched pencil to do art for about 3 years but when I resume to draw again I had yet "evolved" in my skills emasingly lot, I mean without actually practising at all I think that means that you have talent really, when you develope particular skill within you without making a single effort in getting better, and Im not saying here that one should not make the efforts but it was just one way of noticing naturally inborn talent, then we could talk about success and riches that rather comes to those people that are not talented because they seem to be more down to earth and know how to go after it more persistantly than the daydreamers "borned with talent" whatever the case I find that most important it is to be true to yourself and seek for personal fulfilment and happiness than to worry weather you have got talent because guestionallising it you are already putting a hindrance to your development for that monster of doubt will be there always shadowing the joy of progress and finally its so dark you cant see anywhere anymore (yes I know what Im talking about, I have had my severe self doubt periods, even still have but lets not talk about that one it will take eternity to go there)

look I dont know why I love you I just do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you have the potential, you have talent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IMO, some people are 'naturally' more inclined to things like art and music than others, but I've spoken to some people who say 'talent' = interest + intelligent persistence. I'd say both are true.

Personally, I tend to stay way from the word 'talent', as it's too ambiguous to be pinned down.

Did any of that make any sense?

Mid.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think what you call talent really comes from hardwork, I think it can also be influenced by the person itself in terms of inteligence (or maybe the kind of inteligence), genetics, wathever but to be good at something you have to work a lot.
    I think to be good at arts you always have to work a lot and if you are inteligent you can get there faster but if you have good guidance you can get there even faster. I think that people that are more interested in drawing and painting (or anything else) develop their skills faster because they practice much more, are really interested in what they are doing, want to develop a lot and try to understand whats going on and what they are doing right or wrong.
    I have never read the book "Drawing with the right side of the brain" (or something like that) but it is supposed to address that subject in a very interesting way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never liked the phrase "talent" or "gifted" as it implies that it's some sort of exclusive club. For me, I see a more Platonic view that we all start off at an even level, but excel through our own motivation. If you love creating art, you'll do well. How well depends on how hard you work at it. Success is 99% effort and 1% showing it to people who like it .

-DBC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are at least 5 threads with 20 pages each on this subject in the forum. Using the search button, now THAT is talent. Talent = tight learning curve. See tool ? Use tool. Genius.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good point egerie
    but just for the sake of yakking,
    I would have to agree with dbclemons, technical skill in art is something just about anybody can gain, as long as you've got a pair of eyeballs and hands, its just a matter of time given determination and access to knowledge. the people that get called "talented" or "gifted" have just been at for a while longer than anyone else.

but technical skill in visual arts is just another medium for expression of ideas. the more skilled you are, the better you can express your ideas, but without the ideas there's no point.

there's a guy in my math class who draws and doodles a lot, like me, and he's had no real "instruction" in art, no more understanding of perspective and anatomy and composition than anyone else. but what he draws is so crazy, so wacked-out and original, that I would much rather have his doodles on my wall than some "virtuoso" photorealistic portrait.

look at Marko Djurdjevic, he's been studying anatomy since he was 12, he's got the skills, but more importantly he has great ideas, just look at degenesis. he understands what he's doing and loves doing it.

Dan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Brutillus and dbclemons, just to add some wisecrack:
    "Talent is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" - Thomas Eddison.
    Took this guy quite some trouble to come up whith a lightbulb that would finaly work...
    get the idea?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie
    There are at least 5 threads with 20 pages each on this subject in the forum. Using the search button, now THAT is talent. Talent = tight learning curve. See tool ? Use tool. Genius.

No, that is just common sense.
    But wait, I just searched and found nothing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by solorpower
    That's a really good question, and you're going to hear different answers on this.

So here's mine. After drawing, painting, illustrating, airbrushing, singing (karaoke songs), and dancing in a folkloric dance troup in my community college days ( I went there for the girls - really...), I would have to say that "talent" is just identifying something that you're good at. Now, you have to compare your talent with similiar interests, and see where you stand. I, myself, thought I was really "talented" in art until I picked up some art books by some fantasy masters, of whom I could compare my work. That blew me away, and I realized that I was not as "talented" as I had hoped. But nonetheless, I was still better at drawing than other (artists), but others surpassed me in painting. So you could look at this from a relative standpoint, it all depends who or what you want to compare your work to.

"Talent" can be applied to all professions; a nuero-surgeon, a lawyer, an architect, a singer, and so on. So how do you know if you have talent? If you are able to create artwork, then you have talent. If it's not up to par with professional levels, then you simply need to keep doing it more often. With me, I had extreme difficulty drawing a portrait of someone back in high school - I mean I really sucked at drawing people. In college, I tried it again and suddenly I got good. I honestly have no idea how I got good, but something inside me came out and I was able to draw people's faces and expressions. "Talent" suddenly appeared for me, but I relate it to my previous state of artistic ability. Hope this makes sense.

i`m sorry myfriend but i disagree
    i don`t belive there is such thing as "talent" my theory is
    every person is difrent, some are more organized some have a certain way of looking at something, some have a more open mind, and ofcourse many many other qualitys
    all this qualitys make us see stuff in a difrent way which creates a list of stuff that we like and dislike simply because they do not speak to us. infact when we look at something weather we like it or not we can be good at it or not
    like for example sports if a certain persone is not scared of pain and likes a challenge he will keep going where others fall and he will stribe to be the best and some people will call it a talent

*i hope i explained myself well, english is my 3rd language and i`m still struggling to learn it

Last edited by vadim_k; December 2nd, 2005 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dbclemons
    For me, I see a more Platonic view that we all start off at an even level, but excel through our own motivation. If you love creating art, you'll do well. How well depends on how hard you work at it.
    I don't want to sound like an asshole, but Plato actually thought that every person has in inclination for a particular thing/job/art at birth and that they're "made to do it" as it were. I do agree with you that doing well depends a lot on how hard you work at it.

But I also think some people are able to learn certain things (like painting) faster than others. I guess you can call that talent, but it seems that people have different ideas about what talent means. I'm so confused now...

-I am my imaginary friend.

- omg ftw teh sketchbook -Updated 28-01-2005- w00t pwn3d

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I read that Niel Adams also doesn't believe in the "t" word. I don't know what that has to do with anything, but damn that man can draw.

Anyhow, there are definately people who are naturally inclined to one thing or another. Some kids are better at sports, some kids get straight A's without breaking a sweat. Some people are "natural salesmen" (and you better believe that's something a person can have talent for) and some people have great singing voices. Conversely, some people can't cook to save their lives and others can't tell a lie without blushing crimson. Everybody has strengths and weaknesses. Whether these are born to us (like a basket ball players height) or something that we develope without realising it (as a person might who has a 'tallent' for business), we're all better at certain things with less effort. But even if you do possess a talent for something, it's worthless without the interest to practice your tallent, and that doesn't mean shit without the will and perseverance to develope your tallent.

As they say, tallent will only get you part of the way. I aslo believe there have been many successful artists whos tallent was not in art. Andy Warhol comes to mind...

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I totally didn't address the actual question. How do you know if you have talent...

hmmm...

Well, assuming it's a talent for art your talking about, do you consider yourself above the level of your peers? do you think you'd be good at it, with enough study and hard work? do you find it fun? Do you enjoy the practice (and not just the idea) of doing it? would you do it anyway, even if you couldn't make a living at it? The first two questions are really the only ones regarding tallent in my opinion, but the others are just as equally important.

Supposing that tallent exists (which I suppose it does) and further supposing that I myself possess said tallent for my chosen profession (which I'd like to believe I do), I don't remember ever really being uncertain about it. I have to admit, though I like to be humble and modest at all times, that all through my childhood I felt that my artistic abilities were above those of my friends. I knew they could kick my ass at gym class (or just kick my ass period), but I could draw a portrait better than any of them. But I was also actively practicing drawing and observing for as far back as I can remember, and I never gave a damn about sports.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there is variatons of talent..but what matters is how much you love what you are doing..time will take care of it..well i guess thats the way it happened to me.

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think talent means nothing if you don't use your imagination.

And what DavePalumbo said.....Neal Adams kicks ass!

Last edited by NoSeRider; December 20th, 2005 at 09:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My 2 cents, I don't beleive in talent, I do think that some people are more inclined towards different activities, and I think that has to do with genetics. Just as if you dad was a bodybuilder, you have a genetic prediposition to have a muscular build. I think that not only physical characteristics are passed down, but psycological too, and I don't mean just parents; grand, great grand, so on. But all that means is that the other person has to work a little bit harder. I think technically we all have the same potential, I think it is a lack of self dicipline that makes it where some people "can't draw" and I think that is what separates artists from non artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by mnmcandiez
    How do you know if you have talent or not?
    You will never know

If you work hard and are persistent other people might say you have 'talent'

If you want to be the best at something its only yourself that stops you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anything can be learned....even the masters of their crafts started out as a beginner...some more advanced than others...but if you're concerned about being able to draw and paint you just have to practice. Everyone has to pay their dues in the art world...there's no substitute for the genuine article here. People that try to fake their way through art can be seen from a mile away. practice, study, ask other artists, watch them paint. you'll figure it out...best of luck!!!

My God has a bigger dick than your God.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.