Apocalypse Dawn
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Apocalypse Dawn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Apocalypse Dawn

Hey guys,

Currently I am working on a university project. It's about Destruction. We were asked to create some sort of a post card, with one side showing a poem about destruction, and the other side showing an image that is related to that poem.

My chosen poem, is not really a poem but some sort of a prologue from a song called Dead Flag Blues by God Speed You Black Emperor (great prog band if your intrested in 20 minute experimental musical magic). The "poem" is about the end of the world basicly, and being a bir fan(?!) of post apocalyptic imagery, I decided to use this oppurtunity to manifest my own feelings about it.

Anyways, too much talking. Here is my piece. Its not finished yet, I am still working on it. There are some things is see, but cannot tell, wrong about this image. So far, the shadow of the figure, the empty sky and the ground figure standing on is bugging me (plus his shoes!), but I am not sure how to approach to these problems.

Here it is:

Let me know what you think, I am open to any suggestion.

Thanks a lot for your interest.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    please tell me you didn't use a lense flare for the mushroom cloud. Its far more admirable to not rely on lighting filters when trying to create lighting effects. The reason I say this is because I notice a very perfect ring around your explosion there rather than the supernova-esque eliptical blast of light something like that would normally have.

Anyways, your perspective on the guy is off. I'm going to leave the specifics of that to someone with more knowledge on perspective than myself but it would help to use perspective guidelines so all your points go towards one vanishing point. Right now it looks just like his legs get bigger at the bottom rather than the viewer feeling they are looking at him from the ground up. Also your mushroom cloud appears to be a bit too cookie cutter with perfect edges. There are quite a few variations of color within a mushroom cloud, not all of it glows. There is debris outside that block the light from within. Here's a sample of one I found off of google

http://media.urbandictionary.com/ima...loud-37024.jpg

My Sketchbook
    Contact e-mail: necronomicouch@gmail.com

"Every bullet left in my gun at the end of the day is a waste of the taxpayer's money" - Deputy T. Junior (Reno 911)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are right. His legs seems like the major problem of the whole composition. I am thinkin about rising the ground a little bit, or i may just make this lets slimmer. Plus I NEED to change his shoes he looks like travolta.

I understand what you mean about the perfect glowiness of the mushroom cloud, you are actually the second person who mentioned that. I have done a bit of research on how nuclear blasts look like and you are right about saying how there should be a variety inside the cloud. I don't know I just like the cartoonish way the whole thing looks. I was originaly going to make a neat line art of the whole thing, but my tutor told me I was not "allowed" to use Illustrator, since this lesson is about learning photoshop!!

By the way, no lens flare, although only gradient, I do like the "hurts your eye" effect its giving me.

[I have lost my tablet pen, bloody thing is somewhere behind my computer desk where things get sucked into abyss by giant electrical cables...so no update till i find it ]

Last edited by Bora; November 28th, 2005 at 04:52 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.