E.O.W Round 6: Interplanetary Animal Market - THE BIG VOTE!
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite interplanetary market.

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Homeworld

5 6.49%
  • PKneeshaw

0 0%
  • Standing

53 68.83%
  • auden100

0 0%
  • Red_Rook

19 24.68%

Thread: E.O.W Round 6: Interplanetary Animal Market - THE BIG VOTE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 6: Interplanetary Animal Market - THE BIG VOTE!

E.O.W Round 6: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC:
    Interplanetary Animal Market

Deadline For Voting: Sunday 4th December

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

[URL=http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56562[/URL]
    sorry about apparently being too complex with this topic, ill make the next one simpler.

I want to give Zeitwolf and honourable mention, because his or her piece really deserves to be up here, but thanks to the gimpy forums and the messed up forum tech it wasnt submitted, not his fault at all and if he gives me the link ill post it up here anyway even if you catn vote on it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

homeworld

A number of digs funded by the African government uncovered a massive structure of unknown origins somewhere in the eastern Sahara desert. Archaeologists believe that they've discovered what was once a major trading hub, but unfortunately, the architecture and symbols that were found in the dig are unidentifiable, and the DNA tests have yet to produce satisfactory results.

PKneeshaw

Dave brought his Tree Squid to the Interplanetary Animal Market but it didn’t get much attention.

Standing

A bustling hub for traders of all kinds, the space port of Massus IV is particularly notable for it's animal market. Breeds, species and beings of all kinds are on constantly rotating display, for the punters to view and buy.

auden100

This starship is part of a small armada of interplanetary animal vendors. They mostly target newly terraformed planets and provide some products to the less respectable rare animal zoos. They carry few real animals aboard, but instead carry the largest commercial supply of raw biological material in the galaxy. One can view an online catalogue, or visit their database room (shown) containing the wriitten description and genetic information of almost every animal in existence. Also on display in this room is a large container of the bio-material.

Red_Rook

sry two rejections because of incompletes, one was just a sketch and both entirely laced descriptions, sorry guys, but its the rules.

Last edited by Red_Rook; November 28th, 2005 at 05:09 PM.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... only five entries. This is what I meant with the waiting until the first week that had 10 entries, there is little variety to choose. Round 4 had the same problem.

Though on the other hand its good that round 6 is over and people can focus on round 7.

But, I really think waiting for at least 10 entries, even if it means keeping the activity open for more days, is a better solution than having few entries and closing the deadline on time. The Creature of the Week activity sometimes extends beyond the stated deadline and works just fine, so I don't think it would be a major drawback.

I voted for Standing, the voting hasn't been made public this round : S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bRØk3n_sPiRiT
    yes, 10 entries would result in a better competition.

I even tried to submit mine... but I overlooked the evily wrong server times...

I'm still thinking, whether I will give a vote at all...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitwolf
    I'm still thinking, whether I will give a vote at all...
    If you came into the thread then you may as well vote. Boycotting won't help spread the popularity of an already unpopular topic.

Anyway, I voted for Red_Rook, I like the very informative cutaway of the environment he designed. Very cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, Fozzybar sometimes promotes COW rounds in the lounge for example. Perhaps for EOW rounds with few entries there could be some promotion as well.

Rook, you there?

EDIT: Here is the link to what I was talking about. Quoated from there:

Quote Originally Posted by davi
    There are only 8 entries so far, and instead of letting all the good topics go to just a few people i have added the rule that new topics wont be added until 10 entries are hit on a sunday.

so 7 more days are being added to the list of this topic, i suggest going back to your entries if you were waitting for a new topic and uberizing them.

Last edited by brokk; November 27th, 2005 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Standing gets my vote. Even though it was a tough topic, he pulled off a great piece through good perspective, palette, imagination, and rendering.

Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" – The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mutchitsujo: I don't want to boycott ^^;

I'm just a little pissed...

But Redrook is my favourite, too. I like these code orange, code blue system...

Why isn't the vote public this time?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My vote goes to Red_Rook - it's a good idea and nicely painted - I'm sure that anyone modelling an environment for a game would be happy to see his entry - I love examples of concept art that would have an immediate application in the industry - gives me something to learn from.

Homeworld - love the pallette and it's an interesting take making it historical rather than futuristic.

PKneeshaw - It's a wee bit hard to tell what's going on in the foreground - I think that a more cinematic format might have helped you there, but the line about dave had me chuckling. I hope he manages to flog his tree squid eventually.

Auden100 - I think that your description is probably the best - it's a good idea - the space just feels a bit empty though. I know that you wouldn't have tons of creatures in there because it says so in your description, but I'd love to see what representatives from 'less repectable rare animal zoos' look like!

Red_Rook - Pure Class. I love the fact that you packed in creature environment and vehicle design. Not only that, it's a way more original twist on the brief than my deeply predictable entry and, as I said before, it looks like it came right out of a 'real' game's design - top.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

www.jonathanstanding.com

See the sights!
    Check out environment of the week - it's top!
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i dun think the ten votes thing is too great an idea because its meant to be a weekly activity, its the eoW after all, and it was just a bad topic, i hope people are more open the new one i picked. :/ im gunna start a thread soon where i narrow down the list of possibilities and people can pick topics that way by popularity.

anyway

Homeworld: nice pallete, kinda sparthy, and i like but its a lil emnpty and could really use some elements that break it up a little.

PKneeshaw: a little confusing try haveing a more desaturated pallette might help a little, and really defining your depth and what individual structures are i was confused, good description tho

standing: Nice one dude, i like this alot (got my vote ) very nice i acctually like the creature design alot, although the aliens are a wee bit mos eisly ish still, really nice

Auden100: awesome description and an excellent take on the subject, i really think you have to watch your perspective though its kind of all over the place, and while being loose is ok, you really need to tighten it up in some places to make the looseness look cool.

thanks for the nice comments on my piece, i hope the next one has a bigger turnout.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it was no bad topic at all. it's just ChoW and Cow steal the creative's attention, I think...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I don't think the topic was bad at all. It was broad enough for interpetation and it could be taken in many directions. The thing is, yeah, the other weekly activities are at full steam. Except for Industrial Design of the Week, which I'm worried about : S

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeitwolf
    it was no bad topic at all. it's just ChoW and Cow steal the creative's attention, I think...
    This is completely true, everyone wants to do a character and/or creature design. No one wants to think about an environment because it's just background material...myself included I am sorry to say. Though I've been working on changeing my attitude in that area, because environments are important. I would go so far as to say that they are a character unto themselves, and they can enhance or detract from the characters and creatures that inhabit them.

I would also agree that it was a good topic simply because it's one that forces you to think a little creatively in order to produce.

Anyway, what few entries there were, they were great. Let's keep on going forward and hope that interest in environment design will rise.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad there's not many entries, but this EOW is a tough one.
    This subject isn't something that you can can get away with using atmospheric effects or abstract shape painting.
    The only way for this piece to really SLAM is you gotta make a kick ass alien environment that sells scale AND populate with all sorts of fantastical creature/character design. That's a HUGE task for anybody, pro or otherwise, to do just in their free time. It almost needs 2 pictures.
    but, for what information was illustrated I gotta go with Standing.

Last edited by ReAkshun; November 28th, 2005 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Homeworld is my favourite with Standing as my second choice. Well done everyone!

Paint just jumps out at me, even the digital stuff!?
    www.fullerillustration.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Red Rook. I tend to judge things from a game design perspective, and this environment would be really cool to explore in a game. It's interesting, has multiple levels, a straightforward layout and multiple points of interest. Very cool.

Standing came in a close second though.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Standing > +1 . Some composition & perspective issues here and there but the overall look of the picture is just great.

Regrets, I 've had a few,
    But then again too few to mention

PLAY BOUNTY KILLERS NOW!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Standing as it seemed to cover a lot of the criteria. I liked the layout of the building and the space, although it reminded me more of an auction than a zoo like setting.

I like red hooks idea, very cool thinking, just no animals.

I think this was interesting challenge, very difficult hence the low qty of posts. But Some of these should be hard. Whats point if you can just whip them out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Standing, because his image is closest to the subject, and you can see the two most important thiongs, animals, and traders. Other pictures drifted of from the subject.

You must be able to find order in chaos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for homeworld. I guess I'm just a sucker for big, lonely scenes. I just got the feeling of the potential of the "site" - like envisioning crowds and fights in the ruins of the Coliseum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    voted for standing.

great feel to the piece, like star wars meets animal farm.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for standing. There could have been more value variation in the piece, but it was by far the most immersive and I think the best concept of the theme.

Homeworld: I think this was a verty striking image and an interesting interpretation, but it was a little boring and regular with all the pillars... still it might well have had my vote if it was not for the 'african' government.... coming from south africa myself, I found that rather odd!!! africa sure as hell dont have one government mate. most of the countries up that end have several per country on a bullet by bullet diplomacy basis.

Red Rook- I liked this one... im mainly a fan of cinematic type images, but as a functional how-do-we-build-this concept this piece would, i guess, be better than the rest for a game or the like. Great stuff... lots a thought put into it.

Pity so few entries ion such a cool topic, but im one to talk as I also didnt have time. Good work all who did!

"Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketchling: haha, sorry for the Africa thing, i didn't research it at all i'll do better next time, art-wise and description-wise.

I really like Standing's pic, it sticks to the topic the best and is overally a really cool concept! But i voted for Rook cause i thought the top-view/isometric thing was a very original approach!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I know this thread is dead, but I wanted to chime in briefly on the low entry problem.

My two cents:
    1. - this is a weekly activity, and therefore should be treated as such. If you've got only five entrants, treat it like five hundred. Kudos to the people who DID enter and had the imagination to take something that everybody thought was a lame duck and run with it. The fact that they took the time to enter this shows that the idea was not bad at all. An Interplanetary Animal Market? That totally rocks! What the hell is wrong with you people? Drink some Mountain Dew and KICK SOME ASS. Or, if you don't like soda, put on your Nikies and Just Do It. You get the idea.

2. - Promotion. Promotion. Promotion. If you're into the weekly activities, promote the living hell out of them. Put it in your sigs, make a deal out of it in your sketchbooks. Post a thread in the Lounge. Bug the guys over in the Environment Thread in the Finished section (I think that's where it is) with your concepts and finished pieces. LET PEOPLE KNOW IT'S HERE. Posh has the Chow in his sig. I didn't ask for that, but I'm greatful. Some of you need to do the same. Actively post crits in the EOW threads so that they bubble to the surface when someone is looking at the Forums. Make some noise.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you oregano ^___^ thats exactly right. And i wouldnt be too afraid of reposting your work in the environments thread for instance, i dont think it says you cant and it would get a bunch of exsposure

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We need to these OTW's as much as possible.

Pimp out your signatures everybody!

Oregano and Red Rook - One thing that might help promote these challenges is having a 'trophy', like COW winners have, next to the winners avatar. It might drive more people to compete if they know they'll get a prize.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah ive looked into that, apparently its hella complicated, ima suggest a universal trophy for all otw because apaprently thats way easier to program. I have no idea.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com

Members who have read this thread: 1