Sketchbook: at the VERY BEGINNING of a long road

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

at the VERY BEGINNING of a long road

thought it was about time to start a sb. Really from the bottom up.

mostly in order of when they were done.

sorry for the lack of finished/ rendered pieces. With the city, skatepark and wooden workshop i took so long with perspective and rulers that i lost interest and missed out on the fun parts. I will go back over them i think. I know the skatepark is complete poo btw. also i learnt that if a circle is horizontal then the elipse must have a vertical minor axis. so i have learnt why the cup and other drawings are wrong now! there are some scanning issues also, sorry. there are lots of doodles and stuff ive missed out but i think you get the picture. thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Walk the way man... "talent is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration" Thomas Edison

So long....

Thanks
    Perspective is an important thing to learn, and it seems you've got it down pretty good so far.
    I actually like how the skatepark turned out.
    Some of the other sketches are indeed a bit of with the perspective as you mentioned.
    But they are good practice, and you've been able to pin down the problem so that's great.

Keep on sketching mate !

ps:
    Don't worry about posting finished renders.
    This is a "sketch"book forum, afterall. :-)

cheers

The forest fight for sunlight, that takes root in every tree.
    -genesis

Thanks
    thanks guys, yeah should take the words sketch book more literally

only a couple, just practicing form, the first two are 2min doodles really

thats all ive managed to do since i started
    im not studying any artistic subjects, except going over some coursework to re-submit, and alot of my free time is taken up by other things atm. but im trying my best to do something everyday

i think its about time to dabble in some over mediums, and maybe even......
    ... colour! - not because im any good with a pencil/grayscale just because i need something to refresh me

cheers

Thanks
    whoops forgot this one

sorry for such an appalling sb. i promise to bring it to life somehow

Thanks
    only a teeny update

these were really fun!

Thanks
    Great start with the perspective focus, I've heard in said many times that the key to this who concepting and drawing malaki lies with good perspective.

And I can see your "having fun with a pencil" loomis style. Make sure you double read all his Introducing talks/ending talks in all his books

You shading is very nice and soft, and you lines very controlled, keep up the organised approach

Thanks
    thanks hazamataz, yeah his chats are great, full of wisdom and knowledge, ill try and read them

finding hard to get enough sketches done because it takes quite alot of mental power right now and dont have any spare atm, well thats my diagnosis

kerfuffle

cheers

Thanks
    Not a bad stgart for just jumping into things. You really have some good subjects so far, I really like the coffee mug study, along with some of the persepctive sketches.

You seem to be a bit overwhelemed with the white space though. Don't be afraid to really get in and use a lot of pencil. In fact, why not try filling a page in a soft graphite and using an eraser to get the details of an object?

Try out some new tools too, ball point pen (One of my favorites for sketching), ink washes, crayons. Just keep at it, and keep experimenting.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    wow, thanks man. never thought about that, great crit, thats definatly something thats missing from mine compared to other peoples stuff. i will try that out (filling the page then erasing) soon. any ideas on how to make sketching less of an effort? some things i really enjoy but im finding it hard to be creative and let loose right now, dont know why. i feel canned, restricted. really really need to let loose!

Thanks
    just a tiny update - was lacking a subject and thought i would have a go at some of the environments in a thread on here, hope peops dont mind

really didnt think the verticals were that bad ah well

got some felt tips and some watercolour pencils for christmas and trying to experiment with them but ive got no time at the minute because ive got exams and am finding it difficult to dedicate any time to my drawing, which is tres annoying

ill be back soon!

Thanks
    thought i should get back to some more observation drawings

and this ones a wip

on the first one i changed the brightness/contrast in photoshop to make it more clear, looks a little scruffier now tho - honest

thanks for your time

Thanks
    my last exam is tomorrow and so will have so time to draw from then on, this is the pitiful amount that ive managed since last post

no ref for this one

ref

life

ref

im starting to question each line i make more because i seem to rub out so many that are wrong. but i sort of need the to show general form which i cant get right first time so i do a bad line then see how it really is, then correct and rub out initial line. im guessing this is sort a training my eye and line quality. with the figures i definately have an associated image in my brain of a body which i would draw if it was 2d and straight on, but when i tilt and turn the body im not sure of the form as much. i know what would happen to cube or sphere just not human body, guess thats the whole point of studies
    thanks

Thanks
    i got 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' from the library and is really refreshing my approach to drawing

first exercise was a sp with current skills, which i started to rush and couldnt shade to save my life, strange. contrast has been altered loads by scanner and ps.

then we had to copy upside down pictures which is was very revealing and although these pics where upside down, it shows what can be done, even if theyre a tad off here and there

this knight was most pleasing because i used pen straight off and so no erasing possible

im going to continue through this book like a mad man, well sort of

i hope to return soon

Thanks
    long time no see,
    didnt go thru the book like a madman cos had to take it back to library, but since then i think ive taken onboard a few more things
    i was kinda tinkin that shuld let this post die, (and not post until i was much better), after several browsings on the boards, but then i thought what if mcm or everyone did that. so im sorry for being lame right now but i need help to improve
    cheers

ohh learnt how to scan stuff much better now too! yay

these are mostly wips but the portrait was only a quickie

Thanks
    Looking like you have a great start. Be sure to keep it going!

Thanks
    That shell is really nice, i think you could push the values more, wack out that 8B.
    When shading a piece, remember the background is as important as the foreground, use the side of your pencil to fill it in quickly. This will help bring out your highlights.
    Hope that helps, kinda.
    Also have a go with some pens. They force you to be more confident. Continuous line is a good way to start.
    Sweet dedication man. I've never done the basic form studies :'( So you are ahead of me.
    -B-

Thanks
    your latest entries are getting a lot better. you're pushing the values more, which i think shows more confidence.

Thanks
    You have indeed gotten alot better. but you still need to work on that line quality. practice by filling multiple pages a day with hatching, elipses, and just trying to dominate your pencil. Never make a line with many little lines, it is a very bad practice, it just takes to much time and does not let your stroke develop. But yea good improvements so far.

Thanks
    thanks for the comments,

@ Badger, i just bought a 9b the other day and before i was using a 6b for the darkest values, i now realise how much more you can gain from even softer pencils, thanks, see pics

@ Orozc0, i definately need to work on my line quality, i haven't tried any exercises to improve it though, i will start too now, thank you

the first 3 pages are mostly just experimenting with a 9b stick and a smudge stick, the power of contrast values has suddenly dawned on me

this last one is just trying out color pencil, and having a break for grayscale

i should have some of life drawing pics up next time, theyre too big for scanner (and some are charcoal) so im going to borrow a digi cam and try my best

i have also recently bought a very cheap tablet, and am starting to experimenting digitally!! although it is a wee bit complex right now

Thanks
    im back, again

ran out of time on top two (~1 hour) 3rd ~ 6 hours - i apologise for poor scans

I miss browsing these forums, going to try and devote more time to my drawing n browsing

tell me what you think

Thanks
    oh SNAP!that last one is like...well....oh SNAP!

HUGE leap from the start of the page to here, and i love the fact your finding the patience to realy focus on the basics,

it would be really cool if you kept this bad boy regularly updated, the journey you are on looks promising just so long as u dont give up.

Thanks
    You have natural talent i love it! i cant wait to see more < subcribes to thread ^_^

SHINEY ITS SHINEY!

Thanks
    WOW! thank you guys

Heres a few doodles I did before the pics in the last post but thought id put up. Ill be back soon

Thanks
    hi there, I have to say that you've made a very bold start with your SB. I certainly didnt go anywhere near shading like you've done when I was starting out (not like I do it now either ). the objects that you've shaded in your second post seem like a huge leap from your first set of posts, love the shell and the 'sci-fi like' blaster. Was really blown away by the workshop that you've now shaded, its added so much more to it, wow. All I can say is spend time on your drawings (the pen sketch of the knight I'm guessing you spent a long time on since you can't erase anything and it's come out nice), if you're stumped, head for a reference to figure out where exactly you need to change or add something. Just remember to have fun cause as long as you are, you're bound to keep getting better.
    ps- join a sketchbook support group, may push you to post more and give you more advice.

the sole intention is learning to fly

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
oh yeah, shit, theres already a bunch of improvement, although I have no idea of long time its in between these drawings, however, im sure you'll be a great artist , especially with the serious attitude and motivation you have no!
Plus the fact that you doing the very right thing, wich is to study from life!
Keep it up!

~Dile

Thanks
    Haha nice, I started my self to learn drawing 6 week ago. I'm also saving my work to make a post like this one but I just don't feel ready yet. I gotta say, you gotta a pretty nice start,those look very nice.

Keep it going=)

Thanks
    Excellent perspective drawings, the wine glass is perhaps the best one of these so far, very well drawn in that it gives the illusion of transparency, perhaps it is the attention to the cast shadow. If I was to say anything that would help out with perspective is to give a few landscape drawings to yourself, nothing major just a few thumbscapes. But you can take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

Keep on drawing-
    Shawn

Thanks
    Great start! That glass is a huge leap forward. Mainly, just draw as often as you can, everyday if possible. Draw as much as you can without crossing the line from fun to work.
    Keep up the great work!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Cheers central, I do need to spend more time on my drawings. I need to slow down my movements and control my line more, im working on it!!

dile, i dont know what to say, thank you! studying from life is such a test and it pushes you so much, i totally agree

clo3ed, start a sb!! Have you seen mcms sb? Look where at the first and last pages, nothing else needs to be said

thanks crazy dude, I have been meaning to get out and try some landscapes, I will set aside some time for it, hopefully

thanks for dropping in Cup of Joe, learning to have fun is what in the long run will keep you at it i suppose.

Ok so inspired alot by crazy dudes sb and badger n others comments Im giving the pen a go. I didnt enjoy the first one or the second too much, they were warmups, but the last two were good fun

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.