Sketchbook: http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes - Page 7

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehehe ! So you decide to use PS, he ? I'm glad to see the result, it's so good. Push it man, it's gorgeous.
    J.

Julien ALDAY
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great new updates man. youre adding an additional layer of depth to the landscapes with these new brushes. i mean, the way things appear to be in extreme focus and out of focus etc. cool stuff.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    woah.. hmm, are we really using the same brushes? This really does prove that brushes don't make a painting. Superb colours and experiments. I really like the last one, that seems to communicate the best for me, and it's got a hawk! But what I love the most is the technique, well colours really. It's like you painted over a photo, I think it's great to mix up the brushes strokes, between sharp and the dull, soft and hard.. the contrast and all. I can really see the textures working well, especially on the tree. Quick and very efficient. HEHE, I am like getting heaps of ideas and stuff off these as I see them. Trying to picture how I could make a better use of each strokes.

keep pushing it mate and if you find anything knew! share it! hehehe, cheers Tom

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The textures you are getting are insane .. do me a favour .. paint a brick wall .. dont ask .. just do ..
    And about the patience comment .. i hate blank canvases man .. I tried painting some environments on a blank page .. I suck beyond suck and it takes forever just to get some of the larger blending going .. so i give you mad respect when you even think of doing another environment just for kicks/practice ..
    I have an ocean scape that is 4 hours in the making and it blows .. i will post it in my sketchbook ... and those are really fantastic brushes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bah! These are wonderfully nuts - after I figure out how you managed such stuff with PS I may have to take another crack at my copy of Painter classic! =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice update I'm loving that second last tree, theres just some really great stuff going on in there, and its got a really great sense of depth to it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, nice thread you have here. Might be a little too saturated for my taste, but enjoyable non the less. It's fun to see all the different aproaches you take.

May i request some figures?

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kian3001: Thanks dude! Yeah, I have lots of fun ! But it makes it even better that others enjoy them too
    @Apricotmuffins: Thank you! Not my brushes to give, I'll talk to the man in charge however. If anyone else is reading this please don't go asking my buddy for brushes - I'll find out if he wants to make them "public" or not, bugging him would only make me sad.
    @Alday.J: Julien, you've been holding out on me again! You could have told me PS was so great!! Jerk ... Hehe, kidding - thanks for the encouragement.
    @tensai: Thank you! I've been specifically messing with some depth of field (that the right term I wonder...?) for some time now - having fun.
    @Bumskee: Dude it has a Hawk !! A creature in an enviroment?! What will I think of next? Been feeding off your vibe mate, glad to be able to repay the favor. Talk soon!
    @DieOxin: Brick... wall... hrm.. can't picture it - . . . sounds annoying too. If your truly serious let me know, I'll try it. Haha, fear of blank canvas? Fill it in dude! Try scribbling with line until you see something, try random shapes until you see something, go abstract and make sure it's interesting then try and see something! I don't usually have a plan on these - I just see somethings. I'll drop by your sketchbook soon mate!
    @rsnurkle: Hehehe, thanks! Bah! Get to work!
    @Ham-e: Thanks dude! Depth is another thing I'm chasing.
    @n0fish: Much respect man! Thank you for dropping in! Figures... I'm working on that! I'll have to go through your thread and pick some ideas up
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Still having lots and lots of fun in Photoshop, starting to get better adjusted too. Adapting to the color wheel and starting to understand the brushes better. Man, I love the time between semesters...

http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes
    It's a fence! This was from last night actually.
    Did I mention I'm usually starting out in black and white lately?
    Using lots of layer methods for different ideas too... shhh!

Don't particularly like the overall feel to this one - seems really... I dunno
    Formulatic or.. really just something you'd see in a craft store .
    Good learning though.

Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Help! I've fallen and can't get up. Fun one.

I like this one for the most part... Don't like the top of the hill really.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, GREAT last cluster of enviro's there, I love the colour choices and texture and they all have such life. The last one really stands out, great atmosphere.
    Juss keep doin whatcha doin man, look foward to seeing more,

Cheers

Eri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    @Alday.J: Julien, you've been holding out on me again! You could have told me PS was so great!! Jerk ...

LOL ! Tom, my friend: photoshop is great, textures are fun and your stuff is gorgeous !
    From France with love.
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit man this stuff is amazing. All i can think is ...

TUTORIAL TUTORIAL TUTORIAL TUTORIAL TUTORIAL

But seriously great work, i think the last and 2nd one are my favourites.

tutorial ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First I am totally serious about the brick wall ... you should do it .. i think it will be wonderfull ..
    And Second .. that last pic with the grey backround coming to sandy is your best ... just a little mist and it could straight well be out of treasure island ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love this thread...especially love this one too http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1.../pathfinal.jpg except maybe the top of the hill couldve been slightly faded to take it away from us or watever but i love your painting style
    you mentioned semsters where do you study?
    keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yowzers! those are hot! last one looks like where i used to go hiking all the time. thanks for all the help with painting!

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff that last one is really nice I especially like the foreground stuff in it. When you say you start in B&W, multiply layers, and add color with curves, can you explain how to do that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Eriboss: Thanks ! I'm feeling the life a lot more now that I've switched to Photoshop - good stuff. PS really used to confuse me before though...

@Alday.J: Julien, what no chicks today?! , talk to you later. With love from America - Tom.

@Asgardian: Eep! Tut... tutorial? Really, you like the second one? I think I hate it - just so ... I dunno formulatic? Learned some goodies from it though. Hey, I put together a .PSD for a friend of the a pic a did today (the third one down) from just about start to finish, mainly to show use of layer methods etc. Give me a shout and I'll send it your way too. Might be of interest and could keep you satisfied until I think I'm tutorial worthy.

@DieOxin: Hrm, attempted a brick wall today - just like, basically a texture. It was horrible. I'll have to try again later - in a more natural setting. Detailing isn't exactly my strongpoint - neither is focus haha. Yarr! Treasure island matey!

@Rodrigo:
    Yeah, top of the hill gave me some trouble, thanks for the advice - that would have worked much better. Now, you love this thread?! I love your thread! Much respect man. Where do I study? Well, mainly CA.org - But offically I take a few art classes just about every semester at a local community college. Oil painting this summer actually, I'm pretty excited. Where do you study?

@Pennington:
    My pleasure dude, anytime you know!

@evildisco: HA ! Hey, when do I get to see more colors out of you?

@Ham-e:
    I didn't say anything about curves - don't understand curves at all haha. Lately I've been starting with a black and white abstract blob/scribble. Working that into a decent comp - half abstract and half "something". Work that a little more in black and white to get the basic values down - then hit it with a multiply layer full of color. Usually this color multiply layer is a bit darker and less intense, no it is darker and less intense that I want to go. This leaves me plenty of room for higher values and saturations. If you read above, I mentioned I saved every step (every layer) from one of the paintings below into a resized .psd - if it will help just give me a holler and I'll send you a link to it too.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Here is something I thought might be cool if more people did in their sketchbooks; I'm going to start posting a cool link or two I've run across that you guys might also find interesting/informative/inspiring. Always art related of course -

Drawn! Really cool Illustration blog - all sorts of good stuff and constantly updated. I check it every couple days and find lots of great material and inspiration.
    http://www.drawn.ca/

Akida's Blog: Wish I knew more... I think I got this link off of Prometheus|ANJ's website. Some really good stuff, just a warning however - not exactly kid-friendly if you know what I mean.
    http://akida.freedomclan.net/
    - - - - - - - - - -

Still having lots of fun in PS - fleshing things out program wise. Finally got my tablet set up how I like it, alt as one of the buttons on the stylus so I can eye-drop quicker. Starting to get a better feel for the brushes and using them specifically.

Blah - don't really like this,
    was trying to figure out how to do some of the more drawing style things I used to do in painter.
    Moderate sucess - ugly picture.

This was kind of fun!
    Not too fond of the composition - like the colors though.
    Dull blue things in the back were supposed to be ... ruins - like Angkor Wat or something - failure.
    Made me do the last piece I'm going to post however - a building !

Working on what I don't like about these lately -
    I think it was just overly textured - no rest area or something like that.
    Got some good cloud ideas from this one. Ugly comp ...

This one was done for a blob idea I cooked up in the doo... thread (check the Sketch and WIP section).
    Kind of fun ! Better sort of drawing technique that I was talking about above.
    Here is an animated .GIF to show the blob and final:
    This is actually pretty close to how I start most things.

Decided I needed to do a building - checked out some references on Angkor Wat before I started this one.
    If you don't know what that is, do yourself a favor and google it.
    Started with a b&w sketch and worked my way up.
    Pretty happy with it, as I haven't done much in buildings, might pick it back up tomorrow.

Cheers !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, the last one blew me away!!! Fukin love it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Inspiring textures man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last'n is gorgeouso!!! very sunsetty feeling, though the water is still a bit textured fo' my tastes. =)

Keep it up dood!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    tee hee, nice set of colours again, but!! you should have worked more on that building picture.. I want to see some fine renderings.. you know what I mean right? I really like the gold looking decorations though, very nicely done... No idea how you do it so easy... damn... anyways... keep going with it.. chat on msn! cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet set! Thanks for stopping by my SB! I think the second is actually my favorite.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great update man, i love the buildings but to me personally i wasnt sure about such shiny highlights because it looks cloudy out there, so yeah, i still really liked the way you had the swamp in the foreground- keep up the great work!
    oh, and im studying at a local art school here in sydney.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo, sweet building! i was gonna suggest you do some buildings before i just forgot. heh. rest of the paints are cool too. nice idea bout the sites too.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one is very pretty .. a few things bother me though ..
    First the perspective on the water is a bit off .. it seems to be rising on the page as opposed to being flat in perspective .. I dont know if thats a good explaination ..
    Secondly .. the water has tooo much texture especially at its edges .. i think the further back you go the edge line between shrubbery and water should be more defined ...
    Finally .. the building standing where the main doors are .. on the left side of its structure has no detail .. i thought at first, it was the lighting but the building on it's left has full detail .. it sort of distracts the focus between the two buildings ..
    Other than that .. i love it .. going to try out the same thing in painter .. And I still have NO idea how you go from grey blob to colour rendering .. OH and LINKS UP THE BRUSHES !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should have always used Photoshop...everything on page 4 of this thread is amazing...I really like the one where "you" are lying on the ground..seeing a tree rising far into the sky. What makes those photoshop paintings so great is your combination of brushes that provide texture and those areas that are more flat. Thus you create contrast in various ways...by light and dark, by blurred and sharp, by textured and flat, be saturated and low intensity areas.

amazing.

well keep going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow
    Fantastic SB
    Love your texture,and colors
    Good Job man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kian3001: Thanks dude! I've got to do more buildings, still thinking about working on this one some more too.l

@GrooverMcNab: Thanks dude! Been enjoying your sketchbook lately by the way.

@PixelDragoon: Yup, you're right - didn't think it would matter, should have softened up the water.

@Bumskee: Cheers mate! I still need to render out that building and start some more. Thanks as always for the push! "No idea how you do it so easy..." I wish it were easy! And I have no idea how you do it so easy!!

@Cup_of_Joe:
    Thanks! Second one? I still really like the colors but overall it has something that bugs me - same as a lot of these, still trying to put my finger on it.

@Rodrigo!: Mm, good thinking on the shiny highlights - I'll have to keep that in mind. You go to Ashtons I bet huh? Lucky bum... Would be cool to hang out with all you guys there. Cheers!

@Pennington: hehe, don't forget next time! I hope the sites idea catches on, be cool to see what others have found. Seems maybe a little too bloggy though. Talk to you later dude.

@DieOxin: Thanks dude, good catches - the whole thing is poorly constructed , horizon is still probably crooked too haha. Definetly should have looked twice at the water texture and edges, thanks! Brushes? They aren't mine, they are my good friend bumskees - I asked him and he said within a couple of days he will have a brush pack up on his sketchbook; so be sure to check that out. (PS brushes).

@Litkey: Haha, as much as I am enjoying PS - Painter still has it's uses. I actually started out long ago in PS and was so very very confused. I've learned many many valuable things in Painter and I'm not sure I would/could have, at least as easily in PS. This is your 1st post? Crazy! Oh and, contrasts - very very interesting stuff and I think a key element in a good painting. Check out the king of this sort of thing: Richard Schimd.

@Elnady: Thanks! Keep stopping in
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To those of you who asked - Bumskee has been nice enough to release a brush pack for PS. Check his sketchbook in a few days or so. Now quit PMing him about it

LINKS:
    hirooka masaki 廣岡政樹
    http://www.backfire.biz/
    Lots and lots of great stuff - check links near the top for illustrations.

alien1452
    http://blog.naver.com/alien1452.do
    Alien1452's Blog, NSFW! Not for kids! Great colorist though...

Value studies! Lots of value studies today - haven't had the time or energy for too much personal paints lately, but I'm really glad I took the time to do some really quick value studies. Found a really good brush and technique for them after awhile I think - expect more later on! (Cheers to my muse!)

Some more time than others - usually like 10-20, at least one or two at 30 maybe more?

Edit: Not loading properly for me - there should be 14 ... dunno

http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes-http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes-http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes

http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes-http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes-http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes

http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes-http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes
    A present for a friend .

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; May 13th, 2006 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You giant bastard...

Those "value studies" as you call them, they PWN my face...

Tsk tsk tsk...

bastard...

:p

As for colors from me, erm errr uhmmmmm, I really don't know, got too much stuff to do for school.

Last edited by skullsquid; May 13th, 2006 at 10:57 PM.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh those a very sweet...what can I say...Good work, the ones with lots of contrast are my favourites...the soild black is just sooo juicy

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 21