Sketchbook: http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes

Psssst, this stuff is old! Go to the later pages!
    Right, seeking a compendium of my scribbles and what not here I am. Not sure how much I blend in here amongst such amazing talent but what the hell, should inspire me to get better quicker.

I'll start by posting some things I've done recently.

Let me know what you think, whatever comes to mind really. Thanks for taking the time, this has been such a great community.

Just finished this one:

"Our hero the RobotKing escapes the Volcano" A blob doodle as well, fun with colors!

Gave up on this puppy, got bored I guess. Pose is weak too.
    Here is the thread for some processes:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=56257

"Swamp Monster" Another random blob into a creature doodle. Was really fun!

"Eeek!" Blob doodle as well.

Some
    New Media Coloring Book Collaborations:

Lines by Uncle Enzo:

Lines by Dave the Original:

Fun little chicken!

Lines by SaneJack7:

This one was an experiment with a pretty limited value range, focusing on hue changes for depth.

Lines by evildisco:

Color scheme was fun on this one.

Lines by evildisco:

Yarr! Pirates are cool!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Idiot Apathy; May 25th, 2010 at 11:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are some pretty cool characters/creatures. you could smooth out a bit of your colors, making them blend a bit more with shadows/lightsource, but on the ball, none the less.

cheers,

Woodruff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude! Good to see you've started a sketchbook. Love some of the new pieces....in particular the 'blob'. I think that it's (as yet) the best drawing and colour job i've seen you do. I love his little arms

Looks like all that work on colour theory is starting to pay off big time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YES .. Idiot Apathy has a sketchbook ...
    One thing though .. i am confused as to the origin of the light source on the girl facing the sony box .. her highlights seem to be from every angle .. maybe its just me ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Azeira: Thanks, I don't quite follow what you mean by smoothing out the colors though. Could you give me a specific example? Thanks again!
    @mull77: Thanks for the encouragement man! Your talking about the Meowing Blob right? It was pretty fun, arms were the last touch actually.
    @DieOxin: Thanks man! Bout time I started a sketchbook huh? Hope to learn a lot from the people in here. Your right on the Sony Girl, I had it planned with stronger lights coming from the recessed box she is in, didn't really flesh that out, thanks for bringing it up!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Updated the robot a little bit with some input from the IRC guys. Missing the old batwings,
    I think they were better for the composition. I liked the old blue part of the volcano better too...

Did this "overpaint" on a whim, hehe... cheeeeeese.

Did this last night, hour or two. Really fun. Added a heavier shine to some key parts
    and the grass after some prompting by Grooveholmes.

This is a bit of an experiment on the last one after Lightkirtar said the symmetry was
    hurting it a bit, I think it got too busy and I didn't feel like finishing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work, youre really developing an interesting style with your paints. Some great experimantation going on but id like to see some anatomy studies or something from reference. Gonna definatly check back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Idiot Apathy
    @Azeira: Thanks, I don't quite follow what you mean by smoothing out the colors though. Could you give me a specific example? Thanks again!
    No problem. Basically, what i meant was that there is a contrast in your peices here between light and dark colors. a very distinct, rough paintwork that could be smoothed out to make a more natural affect to the image. A good example here would be the fellow in armor. the lighter, reflective portions of the armor could have more more gradual, and once again, natural, affect to show the luster of the armor. though the work of the light on the bust works well with its glow, the other portions tend to fall away from this. This usually occures when the painter takes less time to complete the peice, common among quickies/thumbnails. Not many take the care to pay attention to those little details, but i feel that they would benefit you here in creating that brighter, more believable luster that was used for the bust.

Another example is the arachnid/crab like creature. The color distinctions on his lower half are quite strong, and smoothing the edges of those patches, perhaps even bringing in a bit more detail along with them, would make a very impressive effect for the life-like appeal of the creature.

these are just things i noticed. you know what your doing, so dont take any of this personally. simply proposed considarations.

cheers,

Woodruff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing stuff, i love the chick with the tatt on her face!

Dom

SKETCHBOOK UNDER CONSTRUCTION (need a scanner, roar )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LightKirtar: Thanks for dropping by dood! I can't say I've ever done an anatomy study... I'm such an amateur especially when it comes to drawing. Definetly something I'm going to be studying intently very soon here. Keep kicking me in the ass alright .
    @Azeira: No offense taken of course! Always glad to hear different viewpoints. Thanks for the great thoughts and ideas; I'm definetly going to explore them further. Stick around, I'm glad to have ya!
    @D0M: Thank you! I just want to re-iterate that that one was a collaboration from the New Media Coloring Book, the lines were Uncle-Enzo's.
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    A slime from last night:

A few touch-ups today; going to see what else I can do between homework. I think I burnt my eyes working on a bright background...

Edit: Tonight's efforts -

Weeee, should probably spend more time on this one but, I'm bored. Spaceship is kinda weak too huh?

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; November 29th, 2005 at 12:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From late last night:

Fun with some simple colors; a speedy. Trying out some new brushes.

Messing around with some texture on this puppy, not quite there but a good experiment.

New Media Coloring Book Collaboration:
    Lines by Vigostar:

Still too hard to paint over lines with so much prior shading, I guess not hard just too time consuming and not fun enough. Couldn't take it as far as I wanted or exactly what I wanted. Had some fun making it look a little like "traditional" media though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice paintings! nice use of colours, sweet. good job on vigo's character too. look forward to seeeeeeing more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya Bumskee, been stalking you in your sketchbook for awhile now . Thanks for dropping by!
    - - - - - - - - - - -
    Been doing homework with my free time all day, messed around a bit with some paintings only came up with one worth showing. Kind of an nod to last nights as well.

Gunna be busy for a few days here; finals and what not. Ugh... and at such a high inspiration point, at least the last few days have been fulfilling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Huh? I swore I edited this last night, what's going on? Anyways, couldn't sleep last night, edited the pic a bit:

Finished up some of my homework early and scribbled this out; good fun!

Old One: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...7/35db8620.jpg
    Not a fan of the really soft spot... ugh. Had to call it quits though.

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; December 5th, 2005 at 04:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did this tree the other night before bed, about 30 minutes. Had the plan mostly in my head this time (a first!).

Did this to cool off tonight; just under 2 hours.

New Media Coloring Book Collaboration:
    Lines by evildisco

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; December 14th, 2005 at 06:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh, the semester is over for me; took my last final tonight. BOOYAH!

New Media Coloring Book Collaborations:

Lines By evildisco:

Got really bogged down by the details, gave up here; not even close to done. O'well, learned from it. Check out the horrible fog I used to cover some unfinished parts...

Lines by DavetheOriginal:

Real quick experiment, 30 minutes. Muddy colors...

Lines by buZu:

Another quick experiment, 40 minutes. Trying to streamline some things... Don't like the harsh black lines that show through.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Idiot Apathy. I enjoyed your work a lot, really nice landscapes and wonderful feel of colors and textures of different fabrics. And I'm impressed how careful you were with originals. That tells a lot about you. All images are great!
    Thank you
    Sveta Dudetta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I am really developing a taste for your coloured work, thouhg I must say you need to kick some contrast into it. especially on the last tree one, that's beautiful but lacks that contrast it need. I am thinking so much more about colour since I found your thread, some great info beaing passed around, so cheers dude.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're landscapes look fantastic. Really fresh and original style on them. Are you using Painter?

The other stuff is really great too. Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the late replies, promised myself that I wouldn't bump my sketchbook without actual images.

@sve: Thanks so much! I really have fun on these landscapes, something I've only just started doing, in fact pretty much everyone I've done is in here. They are quick and really enjoyable.

@bumskee: Hey man, high praise indeed! I see what you mean by contrast, usually on things like that I start out with just two colors I think will look good together and roll from there with random spots until I see something. I've think I've taken your advice into consideration on this next batch of enviroments below. Thanks for pimping out the Peer Project thread man, it's great to see you in there.

@venomai : Thanks! I'm a painter kind of guy; can't figure out how to do things in PS like sparth and mullins. Glad to see you in the Peer Project thread now as well .
    - - - - - - - - - -

Start 'er off with some of the things I've been doing in the Peer Project Thread:

Exercise #2: Simple lighting on Blocks

I've done this one a few times now, damn shadows are hard...

Exercise#6: Color Matching to a Photograph

Took a good amount of time on this one. Don't do much from references even though I know I should . Didn't really enjoy doing the details so I just slapped them on, not really part of the exercise. Reference

Exercise#6: Again!

A lot less time spent on this one; wanted to give the guys a better example of how much/how little time and effort they should put in and focus on learning. Reference

Now some quicky landscapes:
    These were all around 30 min - 45 minutes each; messed around with some texture overlays afterwards. I think it made for a neat effect? Tried to get some more contrast in here after bumskee's advice.

I think I miss fall... damn cold winter.

This was a lot of fun! Look at the bits of orange grounding showing through, this was where the whole canvas started.

Started with purple on this one, wanted to do something cold. The ice was fun too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy,

I have done photo ref paintings for the same reason you are doing them now, but I tackled a much larger scale like a landscape or a portrait, I think it wasn't very wise. I am amazed at your studies, the colours are spot on because they damn look like a paint over! really good job. the christmas thing is brilliant.

I see you have added much more contrast, looks sweeet. some really wacky colour combinations, nice textures. I hope you keep pushing urself, keep at it dude.!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy .. I am done school too .. BOOYA !! .. loving the sketchbook .. colours are brilliant .. and that 11 pool ball .. man how do you do it .. I too shall start colouring .. 3 weeks of LOAFTING shall begin ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @bumskee: I hear ya on the photo ref thing, perhaps you should try smaller portions so you can focus? Maybe I should try that too... Thanks for saying they look like paint-overs, that means they work! Wacky color combinations? Hmm, now that you mention it... Thanks for the encouragement man, your a pretty good muse.

@DieOxin: Woot to school break! However, I kind of wish I still had an art class or two to go to, just hate the stress of grades and what not. You'd better get to work now, you've been gone far too long . Check out the Peer Project Thread in my signature, we could use you in there.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chonological Order for today:
    New Media Coloring Book Collaboration-
    Lines by Mull77
    Had to test some ideas out, actually Bumskee's colors where a bit of an inspiration here; hard to tell I know...

Some Quick and Dirty Landscapes/Oddities...

Probably it for tonight; need some R&R.

Last edited by Idiot Apathy; December 20th, 2005 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like your colour sense! very vibrant and attractive colours, hope to see more : )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idiot Apathy, do u have msn or something like that? I keep forgetting to ask. hehe and thanks for the encouragements and showing me the path to colour!. I have just started but you been the most helpful. so thanks dude.

I really like that egg looking this.. damn your colours are sweeet.. trying to analysis how your colours are all working..I am so envious of your colours... cheers dude and keep it going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely.

I like the style alot, very intence colours.
    keep it up!

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very inspiring, will draw myself... Thanks!

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, man.. cool SB you have going on here... your enviro are really nice... i like your trees... nice job on the coloring of my character as well.... Keep up the good work...

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thanks for dropping in guys. This sketchbook is really getting me motivated, the free time doesn't hurt either; stick around I'm just getting started.

@Yina: Hey thanks! I'm very much in love with colors right now, like orange... does that... sound wierd? Rhetorical Question...

@Bumskee: As always dude, my pleasure; quit feeding my ego so much though lol...

@Tigermilk: Thanks! Nice sketchbook by the way.

@Asoir: Me? inspiring? Sweet! Now use that and update your sketchbook ya bum!

@vigostar: Thanks, I had a lot of fun on those trees. I wish I was more in the zone on your character, maybe next time!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quicky after work and before bed tonight; really quick (20?), liked the colors as they were and couldn't bring myself to alter it, at least nothing was working...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work - you should really think about pursuing a comic colorist position, great feel for colors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love that little square shaped brush that you use dude ..

Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 46