Sketchbook: http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Absolutely loving the latest enviro man, but I gotta say there's a recurring thing you've got going on where your enviros look kinda 'closed in'.. I think you've got decent depth, but most of the elements in your pics are just generally *big*.. they take up a lot of canvas space. Not sure how much sense that makes cos I don't know shit about composition hehe.. perhaps try some enviros where there're more open areas?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff as always mate .. awesome stuff
    that last pink tree.. the grass colour bothers me .. but hey who cares as long as you like it .. ..
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tensai: Thanks! I mean, ありがとう ね! I've got one in this next batch for for you and the others prodding me into different situations other than blinding sunlight Thanks for dropping by mate!
    @Purb36: Hey! How you mate? Yeah, bit of a funky mix... hard to tell what material it is, pretty sure I wasn't thinking about that... I should work on that. Hehe, subconscious sakura for sure! Hey, why don't you show me your school etc with google earth?! I saw one of my Japanese tutors house the other day, was really cool!
    @Orozc0: Hehe! Thanks
    @Tenelaus: Thank you ! Hmm, I know what you mean, I'll try and stir things up a bit... I tried today but... haha it ended up kind of close again.
    @DieOxin: Hey dude! Grass? 'Doh, it's supposed to be sand... I'll have to work on that. Thanks for always dropping by
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ahh, vacation feels good . Nothing to worry about, nothing to do... yeaaaah... Anyways, tried to push a few things in this first one. Then I discovered, or re-discovered, the watercolors in Painter and created/switched to another style I think I'll explore this more, it's really quick and will let me explore some ideas quicker. Woo to page 3 btw, thanks!

Eww, a picture without blinding sunlight?!
    Thanks for pushing me in new directions guys.
    Ok, granted it's not that different but its a start right?!

O yeah! A really fun new style.
    A quick, really quick, like 3 minute sketch and big bad watercolor brushes.
    Refined later with smaller watercolor and a detail (oilish) brush on top. Really fun!

Same idea, quicky sketch big brushes...
    this one gave me some trouble though.
    Like how it turned out for the most part though. Woo !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeeeeah, that first one is improving on exactly what I was trying to say I love how you get such fluid strokes.. the grass there is just beautiful!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Tenelaus: Yeah? Sweet! I'll keep pushing myself mate, thanks, and thanks for being the only reply haha... would suck to have to post right after myself.
    - - - - - - - - - - - -

Where did everyone go? haha... come on ! I need your crits and advice!

Still messing around a bit with the watercolor brushes, having some fun

Dunno what to say, just messing around with some brushes; kind of a storybook feel to it I think.

More watercolor, no sketch this time; wanted to see pure blending with the watercolors.

Haven't done a creature in awhile huh? Well, heres a quick creature doodle.

This... was... great! Lots of fun and lots of new techniques, split between Painter and PS, some clone brush in there actually...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so much...happy...

::explodes with love for your work::

...sorry i got your sketchbook gooey...

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Absence and booze.

There are no small sketchpads, just small artists.

The make-perfect button must come from within.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful paintings lately, glad you're branching out into different moods. thanks for the brushes haven't had time to ue them yet. great to see the creature too, i was going to say earlier that i'd love to see some figure/character stuff from you besides colorings. lovely stuff tho. late.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm saying what I always say .. pure eye candy
    And the last one ... wow .. somthing I have been trying to do for a long time ..
    Question .. do you paint right over your sketch or do you build another layer below it and paint ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i definitely would love to see a figure from you dude. heck, i'd love to see another post from you right about now...

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

IdiotApathy,

Hiya, thanks for dropping by my blog! You've got some awesome stuff here, CA never ceases to amaze me!

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Korpus School of Art + Gallery
    1300 Factory Place, Unit 308
    Los Angeles, CA 90013
    www.korpus-la.com
    Blog
    Facebook Page

Twitter
    korpus.info@gmail.com
    Phone: 213-228-2014

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That last watercolor piece seems to have great texture. I like the new direction a bunch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know it's not your thing really, but I think it'd be a shame if you didn't work at least a few sketches a week on figures... Even if they ain't your cup of tea, it couldn't hurt, right?

Keep truckin... Love these colors, saved quite a few to my Inspiration folder.

Seeya!

EDIT: Ack! I forgot I already posted a reply in here! Sorry =\

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why have I never replied here? I don't know.. Your stuff is amazingly inspiring. I just can't look in here without grinning like a maniac because the colors are so perfect. I've learned alot from reading this and the peer project, but I still have so many technical questions. Do you have pre-saved that you start off of or do you pull all your colors out of your head? How big is your custom brush library? Which do you use the most? Actually, those aren't very important. Man this really makes me want go do a Peer Project exercise. Looking forward to more.

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Bad_Brownie: It's ok, you can get it gooey if it makes you happy . Makes me happy to make people happy.
    @Pennington: Thanks mate! Exploring in baby steps you know? Man, lots of hints for figures/characters lately... can't resist for too much longer but I'm don't want you all to see how much of a novice I am... haha.
    @DieOxin: Hey dude For sketch, on the watercolors; they seem to always be on a differently layer than normal brushes so I can just paint white over my sketch if I need to. Lately when I start with a sketch I've been doing colors at first on a multiply layer to keep the sketches feel going and then switching the layer over to normal once I've got things blocked in. The trees in this last one happened that way.
    @Purb36: Eek! Figures, still working on it you know? I think.. maybe I'll start posting my results from life drawing in another thread to get some help. Thanks for always cheering me on mate!
    @RebeccaK: Hi ! I was glad to see your blog being updated a little more regularly by the way. Your drawing tutorials, threads and what not have really been great for me, thanks a lot!
    @PixelDragoon: Wow, I went into an inspiration folder ! Woo! Thanks for encouragement mate! Figures, another figures comment; I can't hold out much longer can I? I see if I can get some things scanned...
    @Cup of Joe: Thanks! Man, makes me feel good when my stuff makes others feel good Your questions; 1. The colors come out of my head, no palletes or anything. I think that would be too confusing for me haha... I don't know exactly how to describe how I pick colors... all I know is I got here by trying to understand light. Custom brush library right now is around.. maybe 10 brushes? I usually go through phases and only use 2 or 3 total at times but leave the others around. Usually my needs for brushes change and I'll sometimes need to try new ideas and brushes out for new ideas (imagine that...) and often end up creating brand new ones. A few posts back are a download link to several of the brushes I've been using... as well as some I haven't haha. Nice to see you in the Peer Project again by the way, cheers dude!.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Ok, wow; time to go to bed I think.

I've been on a little bit of a "sabbatical" lately and haven't painted that much. I've been enjoying the slow approach of spring (snowed yesterday here...) and have made some really good observations and discoveries. Been painting in my mind sometimes too haha... Lots of new ideas and new directions to head into, here are a few doodles I did the other night to nail a few of them down:

Working on some ideas about shrubbery, foliage and what not; bit of a new color palette too.

Thinking about some more subtle ideas in colors, learned some good stuff on this one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I MISSEEEEDDDDD YOUUUUUU >_<

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...gmountians.jpg

This one, is hot!

Also this one http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...finalsmall.jpg

Haha awesome work as usual.
    You definetely should give some serious thought into developing characters and such, its long overdue. 8)
    If you sweep it under the rug it's not going to go away.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I guess you finally nailed vegetation! You should probably change your sig, the latest stuff is really nice - no eye-burning in sight.

[Always remember that if a topic seems uninteresting, then it's just because you are picturing a solution that lacks vigor.] - William b. Hand

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omigod a pink field!! I love it! I want to live there. ::packs up stuff, slams suitcases on top of your sketchbook:: Um...I don't think I'll fit.

So glad to see updates, I always look forward to them. Like evildisco, I also "MISSEEEEDDDDD YOUUUUUU >_<" hehe.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. Absence and booze.

There are no small sketchpads, just small artists.

The make-perfect button must come from within.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be lookin' forward to em man, count on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the hint of cloudy atmosphere here.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...drainyewww.jpg
    but i think in the foreground it lacks that. it looks like its lit again by bright sunlight. to be clear though, i like those bright sunlight pieces a lot. what i was getting at is that if you have a whole range of climates/lights that you can portray you are that much stronger right?
    (i feel the same way about my own stuff - thinking i should start doing some traditional vilages instead of only metropolitan environmemnts)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...finalsmall.jpg
    very nice as well. its got that hard over soft brush mix that you do so well.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yarrrr! Been a little busy I have.

@evildisco: Heya mate! How you? I've missed you too; there was a time we were both updating at least daily huh? You know, can't say I've ever really felt the desire to go too far into characters, but I think at least part of that is not knowing how to haha. I'm having lots of fun this semester in life drawing and am starting to get the hang of it, after all I've never really tackled the human form before. When I do start banging out the figures I want you there to help me out yeah?

@Kitsu: I'm not sure I'll ever nail vegitation, just beginning; so glad it's spring now by the way woo ! Going to go draw some trees I think. Haha, I like the signature ... :|

@Bad_Brownie: I think I've said this before but a lot of the time when I'm trying to brainstorm I picture myself in the area I'm painting, actually helps.

@Pixel_Dragoon: eek !

@Tensai: Yeah, good thoughts. I cheated on that one, really altered it from a bright sunny day into a rainy day after working on it for a little while, should have thought more about the foreground. Man, that pink field just came together, I doubt I spent more than 45 minutes on it.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry I don't have much in the way of "finalized" paints today, just a collection of quick thumbnails (like from 15-30mins, crazy!) I've been doing to blow of steam and relax with. However I did learn some really good things while doing them. I was trying more and more to stretch and think less conventionally and with less "rules" than I usually do; very refreshing. Been bringing back a little more of the randomness back to the process too, been refreshing after actually planning some of these out...

Pretty quick, just to warm up and get the blood flowing, not much new.

Messing around with temperature.

Some new thoughts on textures, little bit on temperature.

Little bit of a new process and philosophy, not really caring about "realism" too much here

Another warm-up, scribbling. Not to happy with the colors actually.

Some focal point ideas, working more on a new process. I think you could equate it somewhat with glazing perhaps?

More of the above, trying to pin down what I was chasing.

Ooo, getting closer I think. Had some fun here.

Yeah, really like the mix of colors here. Pretty greens, actual greens instead of the usual yellow/yellow-green.

Decided to just go nuts here, started with abstract blobs of color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yaow! nice! real nice! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...areyounuts.jpg this one remindes me of a chinese brush painting. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...thoutflame.jpg i've been seeing flowers and wanting to do some paintings like this too recently.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Will do buddy, just start posting em, I'm curious.

Nice updates btw.

Last edited by skullsquid; April 10th, 2006 at 07:59 PM.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    beautiful updates... very vibrant colors. love em!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh man, awesome color works! great style!
    keep kickin it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

awusum!

Doood so cool thread you have here,
    i love your approach!! you have privileged
    mind dude i mean you can think of
    your overall palette, appply strokes
    thinking about your colors and complementaries
    tertiaries saturation and make the sing pretty well
    is really cool stuff , keep up rocking dude
    hope you doing good at school keep updating
    but take some rest too so you wont loose interest

cheers and the best of lucks, this is very
    educational and inspiring 8)

ROBOGABO SKETCHES in members section

Information____is not Knowledge
    Knowledge_____is not Wisdom
    Wisdom________is not Truth
    Truth__________is not Beauty
    Beauty________is not Love
    Love__________is not Music
    Music_________is------------------->THE BEST!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweet! An update! Nice stuff, I really like #4. Also, I think I just fell in love with #2. There aren't many sketchbooks whwer i can learn something just by looking through your stuff. Thanks, and keep it up!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work, colors are excellent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude ! You're enviros are cool ! So graphic, poetic and refreshing ! Thanks for share it, pleasure for my eyes.
    Sayonara, Baka-san !
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty dam heck impresive eviroments man, gotta do more my self,
    thanks for the inspirational kick on the nuts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa man, I'm in awe of how much fun these enviros look. I so need to start doing things like this, you just learn so much. Awesome stuff man, very inspiring.

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 46