Sketchbook: http://www.livestream.com/tomscholes - Page 30
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dropping great stuff as always. Glad to see you actually doing a bit of drawing instead of just paints.

You collab color makes me not even want to post my version. haha!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff, inspiring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Killer stuff in here, the environments are all really excellent, how do you get those textures?? I didn't read through the entire thread, are you in school right now or working?

-cheers

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those progress shot slideshows are awesome! thanks for posting them

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    INSANE UPDATES !!! THOSE FIGURES...ENVIRONMENTS..COLOURS..ARGH...well...u know what i mean..

MORE PLEASE !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great!!!!!!Your use of light and shadow is outstanding!!!!And those enviros are simply insane!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, great updates! you never cease to impress love the figure drawings, great texture and line quality in all of em. of course the paintings you've done are amazing as always... thanks much for the step by step and keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love those last few paints and drawings! you are still improving so fast!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everytime I pop in here you have more and more comments. =] Rockin' work as always, keep'm coming. =]

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The nudes are gorgeous. Honestly, why is every little thing you do so inspiring?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    environments look good, so do the figure studies. How about some more 'scratch built' figures?

sketchbook...a kitten dies every time you don't comment

“When forced to work within a strict framework,
    the imagination is taxed to its utmost – and will
    produce its richest ideas. Given total freedom,
    the work is likely to sprawl.”

- TS Eliot

Bloooooooog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love your enviroments man, especially the stylized ones. lots of life and energy shows through in your strokes. keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Solid environments. That's an area I've been wanting to get into. Normally I paint figures and still lifes. I do do environments once and a while, but usually line art or very simple coloration.
    Any tips on how to study for environments?

NIce character work too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whiteeeeeee: Haha, Well - I wasn't up late then, but I usually am up rather late :o. I like to improve, is that so wrong? haha, cheers dood!
    openanewworld: Herman! Glad to see you in here again. Hope you are doing well in Brisbane! Say, are you thinking of going to the new ConceptArt Workshop in Shanghai? Cheers buddy!
    tensai: Thanks man! Those are a lot of fun, coming up are some like it - bit quicker, experimenting elsewhere. I go to school here in Utah, a 2 year college - Salt Lake Community College. Actually has some great teachers, especially for a 2 year! I'm not really after a degree, just taking what interests me these days. Definitely want to meet up in shanghai man! Buy you a beer! Mata ne!
    Cup of Joe: Thanks dood! Mm, I suppose you are right on the model bit for sure. No, didn't intend for that - just playing with different ideas Cheers!
    Zord: JOHNOOOOO! Black magic man, buwahahaaaa! How is life? Chairs!
    paperX: Hahaha, I didn't really finish it - I just got tired of it Yeah man, get some stuff done! Learning is more important than finished stuff though Shanghaiiiiiii!
    Brendan N: Slap POW! Thanks man! Yeah it's a bit of a halftone sort of thing the way the canvas comes out like that. Fun to play with for sure. Cheers buddy!
    koppa: MOO! Hell yeah man! Shanghai? I can't remember if I've asked you...
    Cwn Annwn: Thank ya! What you been up to?
    asoir: Thanks dude. Been real fun to play with pushing things in and out of the canvas so to speak. And with painter to smudge paint around. Cheers!
    Call0ps: Yeah! I knew I was going to be in there and I was still surprised! @_@ Hehe, 3 years isn't much maybe .. but I've been a bit driven Cheers!
    Icon: Karlaaaaaa! How are you! Whatcha playing? Did you finish up Harvest moon? I want to see new work and stuff! Shanghaiiii! Buy you a beer!
    Infinit: Hrm... I usually drink the cheapest vodka I can find I don't really like mixed drinks, something about sweet stuff with booze makes me ill. I like it straight, I get a bit of crown royal every now and then. Whiskey, puts hair on your chest Muahaha, success! Glad I fooled you on the CG or Canvas Let me know if I can help at all mate; cheers!
    lukavi: Johannnn! Have I mentioned how happy I am to see you back in action? I'm glad my stuff looks fun, that's how it feels to me as I do it too! Cheers buddy, hope to see more art from you soon!
    RaistlinTheDark: Haha, cheers man
    Strych9ine: Thanks man! SketchUp... hmm I'm still on the fence. I haven't been using it lately, it feels like when you use it the majority of the creative bits are over before you even start painting. So it gets a little old I think. However I do think it's a brilliant way to aid your thinking and thought process - Blocking things out and exploring and searching for the best vantage point is very liberating. As I learn the program more and more I also feel it holds me back less - but still just a bit Worth using though! Try it out homey!
    zweiDee: I use a little painter these days but the majority is PS. In the next batch I have one or two that is mostly Painter but I usually only use the program for it's blending capabilities. Cheers!
    TheGnoll: Lol ! Haha, Love - Hate, it's all the same Cheers buddy, hope to see some experiments from you soon!
    Sanoma: Thanks thanks thanks! Nice avatar, going to pop into your book!
    FactorZero: Hehe thanks! Come onnnnnn, have you posted your version yet? I'mma go check! Cheers!
    Baum: Thanks! Happy to inspire!
    one2hit: Thank youuuu! Which textures? hehe, maybe the answer is in my demo thread? (link in sig) if not lemme know! I'm in school taking whatever classes interest me and I will soon be working - more on that later I suspect. Cheers!
    Sepulverture: Yup! My pleasure, glad you got something out of them and enjoyed them! Cheers!
    shyamshriram: Hey man, it was just your birthday the other day huh? Happy birthday! Let's grab some indian food and talk art dood! Say, headed to Shanghai for the next workshop? You're not that far away huh?
    Camara: Thanks! I mean, thanks!!!!!
    Onir: Thanks man, and my pleasure! Will keep it up until I die!
    Cakeypigdog: Hahaha, loveeeeee that batman dude! Thanks for the kind words buddy!
    Hyptosis: Hahaha, it just keeps growing huh? Takes sooo long to update! Cheers dood!
    Vishaka: Hahahaha! Every little thing? really? :blush:
    BludHund: Thanks dood! Scratch built.. hrm maybe if the mood fits, dunno. That's hard stuff! I'm going to be hitting environments pretty hard for awhile, we'll see. Cheers!
    Dile_: Thanks buddy!
    RichKid: AAAAAAIEEEEEEEE! Creepypope! Thanks man! Will do! Say, what you doing in San Diego?
    ArtznCraphs: Thanks! Just jump man! Do some environments! Lemme know how they turn out! Oh, tips ... tips. Work in grayscale a lot - do a bunch of thumbs, just play with shapes and values. Experiment! It's all about experimentation and exploration. Cheers!
    ---
    Some linkage:
    Sammy's Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96149
    Usually don't post links to CA but ... this book oh man. *cries*

Robogabo's Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=71911
    Figured I'd post one of my all time favorites while I'm at it Gabo is my hero.

Ok .. Oil, figure and life drawing dumpage! I'll follow this up in a few days with some environment dumpage I think.

Got a few oils from the portrait painting class I'm taking this summer session.
    Not much experience with oils and zero experience painting/drawing faces from life :shock:
    But, despite the failure as finished product - I'm learning a bundle and enjoying it

Using a super limited palette for most of these; Ivory Black, Titanium White, Cad orange, cad yellow and cad red. Some Just Black, white and cad orange and some obviously black and white Oh, played around with some bandaid looking flesh tone crap paint too...

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated There is a lot that is crap, so one or two things would be nice

'scuse the glare, new to this photography thing too...

Each is around 2h to 2h30m .. or something... so many breaks, different periods...

Ok, the one or two I like:

Actually looks like the guy! WOO!

Detail:

This one is a decent likeness I think. 2nd painting?

Ok, the rest of the failures

1st paint Honestly I'd be working in grayscale the whole semester if it was up to just me. So many structural problems in all my paints... nice forehead tom

Really tom, why must you make all the weeemens look manly? and with 5 o clock shadows?

Yikes! Did you hit her with a bat?

Really tom, why must you make them look like zombies with your crappy palette?

Got one or two - "reminds me of francis bacon" :o Liepke nose this, liepke nose that... *cough*

Okkkkayyy; two figure drawing sessions; somewhere in the neighborhood of 2h-2h30m? breaks and such ... no clue.

Not much experience with costumes, fabrics and such. Been fun, and challenging!

Doh, too wide. Made the arms a bit goofy as a result too

Next up is photo reffed stuffs!

Perhaps I'm going overboard on textures, but hey - never hurts to experiment

Done 99% in painter o_o think I will try to use painter for drawing more - works nice.

Just a quickie, messing around

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking really good! The first one is working great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow nice to see some oils, do you start with a sketch or do you just jump straight in? very nice to figure doodles too man although experiment is nice i do have to say some of the textures in the pieces over dominates the figures themselves. lastly thanks a lot for the sb links man, all kinds of crazy pro guys on CA eh?

cant wait for the environment update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey tom!

i really dig this one

it's really fucking great..

i'm loving these last few updates! keep up the good work mate

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    15 pages of pure awesomness... Its a fucking pity that you improve... How are we normal bums supposed to catch up eh ?? Go play WoW or something
    '
    oh yeah, last update rocks aswell!

-Dile

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i love your stuff. great sketches and cool environments 5* for that.

for your oil paintings: oil paint gets muddy if you mix warm and cool together too much. e.g. if you want a purple from blue and red, use alizarin crimson because it is a cool red. when you mix cad red light and blue, you get a dull, muddy brown. try to think about it sorta like how you would draw with charcoal and white on toned paper. use the paper for the midtones--don't mix the black and white together or you'll get smoky blurry crap. right now the only cool color you're using is white. (black can kind of go either way). cad red and black will give you nice dark browns, which might help. cad yellow and black will probably give you some kind of green, so will cad orange and black. black and white will look very blue or cold compared to everything else.

anyway, i'd suggest swapping crimson for cad red light until you're ready to expand your palette. and i'd probably use a duller yellow like yellow ochre. crimson and ochre will give you a really warm orange that's nice for figure work. black adn crimson will go kinda purple. yellow ochre and black will give you green and black and white will be blue. that way you get a full color wheel with a controlled, middle range of saturation. when i learned that palette, i actually mixed batches of those colors at the beginning of class and then adjusted them for the painting.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hiya mr apathy me old fruit.
    really like your black and white oils there: particuarly the womans head in profile- the contrast between the highlight and shadow area is pure pop!
    Great work with your oils- i really miss them myself- been years now since i got to play with them.... really do need to get a studio space sorted out so i can go play with mucky materials more!
    i love the way you tackle such a variety of mediums, sujects and techniques. its always exciting to pop in here and check what you have been up to.
    keep on trucking mister, you really are a consistant inspiration to me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Idiot apathy, (or Tom) I'm not too sure what to call you because you see I don't really know you to well so It might not be right to call you Tom, but I know your name is Tom because everyone sais it in your thread, anyways, Mr, Apathy, I just wanted to thank you for all the helpful information you gave me about the brushes and thanks for sharing the brushes, much appreciated.

Nice stuff with the Oil paintings, I hope you keep doing those.

Joe.

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wooha,that's some awesome stuff you got here. thought i'd check by eventually after that awesome paintover. i'm still asking myself how you get such smooth paints,how do you blend them?
    i'll be watching

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Tom,
    you are a one of a kind artist who makes chicks from life look like dudes while creating chicks from imagination which look like refed from the goddamn playboy

the anatomical/propotional issues you encounter in your oil portraits look like you don't use an initial drawing under your oils which causes messed up angles in your faces
    limited colour work fine imo (like shown in the first portrait which clearly is the best)

your pencil drawings are okish
    while they show the general form of the trappery well they are too simplified imo
    try to capture the feel of the fabric
    hatch in the direction the convex and concave forms bend

btw: you already help me tons in your thread in the tips and tricks section

my sketchbook
    friends Sketchbooks:Dile_, Stine
    my flickr go there if you want to see my photography stuff

<mildly sarcastic remark that seems a little cutting at first read, but contains wisdom and is really rather funny>

Ilaekae: "I'm sick and tired of "purists" who dictate their own anal preoccupations to everybody else as the word of gods."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha this month IFX u appear again its funny to see your works here and few weeks later,u see it again with a great tutorial in the best art magazine those oils are real nice btw specially the first oil. keep up the great work

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oils are looking nice man! The two you picked out are particularly good, but the last one is pretty nice too. I think one of your major problems is having the eyes on a different plane or slant than the rest of the face.
    Everything else loos great, although maybe that last figure has some short arms?
    Keep it coming!

Daily Sketchbook
    All comments welcome!

ProtoSSG: Cup-of-Joe ~ Kitsu ~ White Rose ~ Afgal

Other SBs - ShiroNami - Leadster618

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, your works are amazing, i mean most of it, thx you for being my inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tom, many thanks for inspiration and useful tips and demos. Great, as usual.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey idiot,

its been a long time since i last posted. I really like those figures from ref, i like the way you use white, gives it a nice texture to them. The oils are great, this one has to be my fav.... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ok/tom-017.jpg. But maybe one little crit, i think the ears are a little too big? Just a suggestion

Ill be back this time

Post more

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Qxzi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't even know what to say to you anymore. You make it all the more painful for me to stay at work 7-8 hours a day. AND! my summer session classes were cancelled due to low enrollment!

*killz and eat ur brainz*

Page 30 of 49 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 46