Sketchbook: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10* - Page 99

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 99 of 109 FirstFirst ... 49 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 3255
    Thanks
    Wow! Awesome work Gnoll!! You surely are productive! Excellent work on the dieselpunk / scifi stuff, would love to see that developed further.

Keep up the great work!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You are hurtling towards greatness, man. I'm serious. Another pair of fantastic updates!
    Your ink studies are particularly inspiring, since I've recently gotten into sketching with pen and ink. That and the bunch of linework illustrations I recently did for my freelance job have gotten me very interested in the creative potential of that medium. Your own page at the end is nearly right up there with them in terms of quality.
    I am completely digging those floating cars! Those some shnazzy designs and nice shapes, and the drawing itself is very clean and well done. I like those hexagonal doohickeys you put in place of wheels on both vehicles; it gives a nice sense of shared technology.
    Again, man, great stuff you're doing. No critiques at the moment. I'm likin' the more regular updates, too!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    You are hurtling towards greatness, man.
    indeed!! great ink studies. you've grown so much!

frank

Thanks
    Ryan, awesome studies! Vehicoles looks stunning and the fantasy sketches made my day. So inspiring dwarves.

Thanks
    nice steampunk concepts!

Thanks
    Great stuff going on here. Love the vehicles on #2931.

Keep going, and share more pencils if you can, please.

Sketchbooks

Thanks
    ANOTHER compliment goes into the pot. Any of the above will do

HEY - specific question for you regarding the comic pages, which are awesome. How do you decide on the specific panel sizes in the workflow. Do you imagine the shots required to tell the sequence and THEN draw the panel boarders, or do you make the panels THEN just make a composition in those. I assume they are educated guesses like my first option there.

Thanks
    @monotony: thank you man! those pages should be done soon, hopefully-

@ghost1944: thank you!

@surus: will do, thanks for stopping by!

@knut-: thanks! the truck was actually done this way to actually feel like it was a vehicle with wheels, that had been tinkered with to update it to the flying era, so i was hoping it would feel different and less "designed" than the other car.But i understand this kinda things should be readable in the drawing even without me writing them, so... my bad

@Carnifex: thanks!

@Tizzy: gh!

@revenebo: he he grazie Giacomo! ci vediamo presto!

@Creusa: grazie! sono al secondo anno del corso di fumetto della Scuola internazionale di comics di Reggio Emilia, e prima di quello ho frequentato un anno di accademia a Bologna.

@krel: thank you man, always great to hear that!

@MacTire: he he the latest updates were done over a month or so, so i'm not THAT productive :/ the vehicles are to be used in some pages i'm working on, but not the characters :/

@Moai: thanks a lot Cory, great to hear that coming from you! I realized the potential of ink myself only recently,and it does open up a lot of cool stuff to study on linework, contrast etc.Great to hear you liked tha cars, it was my first try at actually designing vehicles, and it has been real fun, so i might do it again soon thanks for stopping by man, as usual!

@Frank Gressie: thanks a lot for the nice words man!

@ICH: thanks! fantasy sketches are really, really really a lot of fun to do, glad you noticed the dwarfs, i was happy with them too!

@VanDog: Thanks, gla you liked them! (althought the geek in me wants to say "its dieselpunk, not steampunk!" )

@Vritra: thank you! more pencils soon sure!

@Jakers: he he thanks man! about panels composition the first step is deciding how many i want in a page depending on what type of page i wanna draw (american style-3 rows, french style-4 rows etc).After i know that, i usually just doodle random panels, just to loosen up and to put down ideas that might pop up.Then i print out some thumbnail sized blank pages and plan the whole page composition.The shape of the panels depends on its importance (big-small) on the pacing and feel or the scene (tall and thin is faster to read, good for action, widescreen is good to slow down and give some atmosphere, good for establishing shots).It also depends on the storytelling, if i want a scene with a guy falling from a skyscraper, i'll make it vertical, so that the "vertical" sense of whats going on it enhanced.On what goes in the panels, i usually start dividing the panel in thirds or fifths to place my focal "hotspots" and the just develop it keeping in mind shapes (circular-soft n cuddly, triangles-danger etc). Once i've got a decent layout (i mights draw more than one) i put it together in photoshop, blow it up at pages size, print it, and use it as base on a light table to work on the actual pencils (after i've done all the ref research i can)

thanks a lot for all the replies!
    I've been away for away for a while and was lucky enought to meet a lot of friends and personal heroes in Berlin at the MADE workshop, and its been an amazing experience.Finally beign able to show my work to some of my favourite artists out there, meeting people that were just avatars on an internet board and are actually realy people, beign surrounded by artist doing what the know best- its been really amazing.Can't wait for the next one, and i hope i'm able to digest all the info in the next couple of months

Here are some pages i did for an Global Warming italian comic anthology coming out in 2 weeks.
    These were done a couple of weeks ago.It was the first time i was challenged with a really really short deadline (little more than a week) and it was the first time working on someone else's script.It was also the first time i worked on a smaller format and inked the whole thing with a brush, so heh, it really was a learning experience.I have err...mixed feelings about these pages, so i'm looking forward to hearing what you people think.

here's the layout, (the original is thumbnail size)

Name:  GWlayout.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  165.0 KB

here are the finished pages

Name:  TAV1.jpg
Views: 2409
Size:  190.0 KB Name:  TAV2b.jpg
Views: 2399
Size:  200.6 KB
    Name:  TAV3.jpg
Views: 2351
Size:  232.0 KB Name:  TAV4.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  213.0 KB
    Name:  TAV5.jpg
Views: 2306
Size:  222.7 KB Name:  TAV6.jpg
Views: 2286
Size:  205.5 KB
    Name:  TAV7.jpg
Views: 2298
Size:  184.8 KB Name:  TAV8.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  217.3 KB

Sorry for the text-filled update, will make sure there's more drawings that words in the next one!
    Can't wait to finish school to get down on some serious studying, i feel like i really need to get back to the basics for a bit :/

ciao!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Really nice pages! great "Moebius style" !

Thanks
    It's been a real pleasure to meet you man, truly. and thanks a lot for the resources

I have no real critique in these pages, the only thing I would suggest is that some panels that are drawn "horizontal" could have been drawn in a more "diagonal" way to enhance a bit the action happening and separate more both lifestyles, but it is not really needed.

Keep it up!! or I'll start to nag you

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Molto belle queste tavole (anche molto toccanti)..

Thanks
    I only wish i hadn't seen these pages before, now i'll have to wait again for new stuff
    I still owe you a KFC chicken burger btw, so we need to meet again! Buy you a few rounds and all.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Beautiful work - I love the zooming out to the globe, and thanks for the Italian practice! It's been so long! Post more Italian comics!

Thanks
    Cant believe you went to made.. Damn that makes me jealous.

Stuff looks good, I was just thinking though, your working a lot within the usual square panels formula, its very bande-dessin. You ever think about really pushing what you can do with panels and how they affect the reading. Or are you stuck down by constraints from the publisher/commissioner etc.

Heres an example I just read to today from Brandon Grahams blog (a must read if you dont know it). The panels really speed up the reading in the action part top left, its a nice effect.

Keep up the good work dude.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow Mr Gnoll your digital works have improved so much since I last visited you and the comics, the comics are AMAZING. :o

I'm loving it!

C

Thanks
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,962 Posts
    you are awesome!!!everything is so great!!!Cant say anything else.I loved the car designs
    keep sharing!!!

Thanks
    Really nice man. I think the comic pages are successful, but I can only understand about half of the words, so...

Anyway, it was really good to meet you.

Peace

Thanks
    Damn your sexy Ryan! This is the bomb!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Yeahhhhh, i was wondering when you were gonna update again! Slick work on that comic, and kudos for getting through a tight deadline, this is really nice for the short time you had. Its just a shame i can't read it. Did anything ever happen with the Lovecraftian WWI story yet?

Anyway, keep it up, looking forward to seeing what you produce since your MADE adventure.

Thanks
    Those characters are full of life. The line work really makes the faces and hands look solid. I love the second page, the car looks so real and shiny and the guy's hand gestures and facial expressions look very natural. The last page is another real pleasure to look at. The way you lose some detail of the cars when the camera gets further looks just right. And how you brushed the space looks awesome, great variety of effects! Wish I had something more useful to say. Keep up rocking!

Thanks
    Ciao, complimenti...che roba!
    Wow man, great stuff here! Your comics are amazing, really expressive...and your lineworks are very professional!

Thanks
    fantastic stuff, mr.Gnoll!

Thanks
    RYaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnN! hows life bro?! Hope everything is going smoothly for you over in Italia, did you manage to sort something out with the writers for your comic?

P.s I really want to bug you to post some new pics but I guess I have to practice what I preach 1st, eh? hehe

Thanks
    Very inspiring stuff Those comics and character designs look great, I really like your style.

Thanks
    your latest work just fine!)

Thanks
    Hey my friend! Thanks very much for your explanation on a few ideas to approach things. Sometimes I like to ask simple questions as you get really good answers out of people that care to explain (like yourself). I can see this process in your recent work where you captured some great moments in the story. cheers!

You do a good job in overlapping and use of simple pattern to make things easy to read...great foundations.

Thanks
    how you doing mate, hope all is well

Thanks
    Not much to say other than. Moar!

I like that small thumbnail of the batman comic book cover. With the roses and cape. I can guess it would be Poison Ivy vs Batman story going on.

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    you sexy you

honestly, very nice man

Thanks
    You're a freaking machine bro.

"Even a stopped clock, gets the right time twice a day."
    >>My Sketchbook<<
    >>My Homepage<<

Page 99 of 109 FirstFirst ... 49 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23