Sketchbook: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10* - Page 98
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 98 of 109 FirstFirst ... 48 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 3255
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm digging on your last batch! Love your doodles!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope all is well Ryan! We need an update! But I guess your bussy killing deep sea zombie monsters with a fork and dental floss. But if you find the time, please post some amazing drawings.

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, so much new stuff!
    you know how to kick everyones butt!
    love your comic work but I really shouldn't start and try to pick favourites.
    It's good to see your work work as well though. looking forward to your new stuff already!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @PieMonster :thanks man!

@Hive_minD: sorry for the uber late update! thanks for your support man your SPs are looking great!

@Tom van der Linden: ha ha yeah, hope this one doesn't stink too much either!

@Moai: thanks man, i was wondering if the layouts could be of any interest.I'll try and post more in the future- thanks for the great crits on the witchdoctor-beign a really skinny dude myself thought, i beg to differ.Covering myself with big, powerful looking garmets helps looking a little less skinny to others i am absolutely guilty on the bits recicling thought.I definately need to tackle different types of characters and design, to avoif looking too repetitive and cliche'.Thanks man!

@William b. Hand : thanks Will! loving your recents updates!

@TASmith: thank you very much!

@Carnifex: hey man! i might need a new avatar (the current one was made by Patri Balanovski ages ago) but i'm really getting sentimental with this one i don't think the storyboard was used outside of italy really, but its a really boring looking one anyway thanks for the visit!

@yoitisi: thanks you man! i'll try and post more layouts.Regarding the inking, your its a good suggestion i'm already trying to follow.I'm still exploring different possibilities with ink that balance time/effort/look, and i'm guessing i can only guide my style throught practice for now.

@smuli: thanks man! i enjoyed approacing a subject matter for once, kickstarts all kinds of interesting research.

@faxmaster: thanks man, glad you notice the progression! argh, that damn blur.Lets move on and never think of that again

@ICH: grazie mille ICH!

@Kan Muftić: thanks Kan! see you in Berlin!

@anjin: grazie! faccio ancora la scuola di comics (sono alla fine del 2o anno) ma quando posso faccio qualche lavoretto per agenzie di pubblicita' locali e cose simili.

@AustenFM:thanks man, glad you liked the planes! about the digital painting, i'm hoping my focusing on contrast in traditional media will have effect the way in wich i tackle values digitally as well!

@JellevdVegt: thanks man! i envy the bloody rock-solid construction/drafting skills people with a background in ID, like you and Yoitisi, have.I definately need to find a way to handle that aspect faster and more efficiently.

@mike butkus: thanks sir, your visit is much appreciated here!

@krel: haha, thanks!

@Miau: thanks man for stopping by after all this time, and glad to hear you liked what you saw.I'm trying to put everything i can in this "thing" but sometimes life, new xbox games or streaming tv serials episode get in the way!

@Call0ps: thanks man! there's some problems regarding my visit to the UK this summer, but i hope i can make it! but hey-no wrist breaking please

@B-Man: thank you man! don't worry, as soon as there's something decent of mine in stores i will make sure everybody around here knows

@Jakers: thank you dude! you're probably right about posting too much stuff at the same time.I still don't know what works for me.Anyway, for this time, i'm splitting a huge update in a couple of smaller one

@purb36: he he thanks man, i'll try and keep it up, as usual

@Quike Garcia: thanks man! i love Gimenez! see you in Berlin!

@Flaskpost: thank you man! your recent updates are really, really impressive too! color.Man, that word is a taboo in this thread.Apart from i know, i dunno what else to reply...i'm shit scared of color :/

@Ivan Turcin: thanks man! what you say about storyboards its too.I refrain from posting them cause the don't exactly "look good yet" but hey, i hope they interest someone

@ThomasM: thanks man, your word are really flattering, and now i feel like a massive dick for not updating for so long.More sketches reeeeal soon though!

@soros: thanks man.That was a quite involuntary process shot really, just me beign lazy but yeah, helps me remember what works and what doesnt too!

@kingkostas: thanks you man!

@starjari83: thank you!

@Tizzy:

@Mischeviouslittleelf : haha man, your comments in here are always NSFW!

@Belindi: thank you very much! looking forward to seeing you and all the other folks at MADE!

@sone_one: thanks you man! looking forward too meeting you too and see you sketch to grab some tricks of yours!

@PHATandy: i'm really sorry this took so long.

@shyamshriram: thank you! you should try! its just a question of mixing bits and pieces, shapes and textures really to me.

@Jakers: aaargh sorry.Thanks for pointing that out man, will change it.

@Zebz: thanks you man, great to see you stop by! show 'em to your boss, get me a job in Las Vegas too!

@ThomasM: thanks again man, very much appreciated

@Parsakoira: thank you very much! hope to see you pop by again!

@GHill: thanks man! always a treat to stop by your SB, you gotta update soon too!

@B-Man: haha i'm still alive, yes.Forgot to sharpen my Pencil-sword and getting out of Emo-hell was harder than usual

@monotony: thanks a lot man, glad you like the sequential stuff! loving your latest updates!

booom!
    Thanks so much guys for all your support, and sorry for the uber-late update.Went thru the usual depressed period, and i have been busy with studies, doodles and some work.Summer holidays are getting closer, and i need to get away from school and stuff to get down on some proper studying to rework the basics and hopefully add something new to my work.

I'll split this update so its not too much stuff at once, very much looking forward to hearing your crits, comments and suggestion and -hey- if you're going to the MADE Symposium in Berlin, see you there!

right, i'll start with the stuff i'm not too happy about posting

Shooting boards for a Samsung Wave TV commercial over here.These look ugly, but were the hardest job for me so far, since they all had to be completed in a single day.If anyone's interested in seeing the finalised ad for my previous storyboard, its here.Its not exactly cool, but hey, mum was proud to see it on tv EDIT: i swear the girl has her right eyebrow in the original, must have erased it while editing it

Name:  samsung1.jpg
Views: 3022
Size:  277.9 KB
    Name:  samsung2.jpg
Views: 3079
Size:  254.2 KB

some ink studies.So these are just copies.First one is a single panel(!) from Jean Giraud (Moebius) "Airtight garage".Was useful to get a grasp of what kind of patience and skill rendering crosshatching with a nib is.And almost discouraged me from trying again completely

Name:  EXmoebius.jpg
Views: 3586
Size:  466.3 KB

while these are from Alex Toth's "Torpedo".These were done with a brush, and really made me notice what kind of genius it takes to render so loosely and lively yet managing to convey so much stuff in every simple looking panel.

Name:  EXtoth1.jpg
Views: 2928
Size:  324.4 KB

Name:  EXtoth2.jpg
Views: 2928
Size:  327.7 KB

and this is just me playing around with ink on a some panels from a page a drew some time ago.

Name:  boatsce.jpg
Views: 3465
Size:  439.2 KB

thats it for now.Will post some sketches tomorrow!

Last edited by TheGnoll; June 10th, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how long it took you to replay everyone

you did a great job on storyboards.
    I was never any good at B&W stuff. So I'll spend some time analyzing what you have done here. Looking so good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah man, color scares the hell out of me too. fuck that shit. haha!

you are killing it with these inks though! love the moebius study! KICK ASS, both him as an artist and your study.

keep it up man!

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    weeeeeee love it! what else to say? thanks for the visit,and i remember when you were super happy to have gotten that avatar by chuckmate

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.
    Argh Moebius and Toth stuff is fucking awesome.
    Seems like you could learn a bunch from doing such indepth studies.

Keep it up dude. Awesome work to on getting those storyboard jobs, they seem pretty cool.

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Niice studies, especially the Alex Toth stuff. I'm gonna have get me some of his comics, any suggestions? See you at Made btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, great studies... Luca Torelli... I don't know if I like more the Toth one or the Bernet one.. a bit darker..

See you at made!! Any idea of which classes are you gonna attend?

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your ink lines are awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, awesome update. Those studies you made are great, I just envy the manual skill displayed here. No undo button with these babies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Torpedo!! One of my all time favs.
    Hey, I hope you packed all the albums of Toto Cutugno so we can dance and sing and have fun in Berlin. You'll be Albano and I'll be Romina Power.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SO cool. I love it. great comics =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see you around still, and may I say, doing some really professional looking work. Hope to see more soon, insipiring me to do some 2 tone type things,

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ivan Turcin: he he thanks man! don't waste time analizing me, there's plenty of old master to look up to already!

@Flaskpost: he he yeah! glad to hear that man and yes, moebius is awesome indeed!

@Carnifex: he he so do i! thaks for your visit too!

@PHATandy: phew thanks god man, i thought you'd hate me for not updating for so long I do feel like i've picked up something from that kind of study.Its a very specific kind of studies, and ink studies also need some intensive manual exercise on top of the theorical one.Not that i'm anyway near to actually feeling comfortable with them yet, but at least its starting to be a bit more fun!

@ walnut: thanks man! hell yeah, see you at MADE! 'bout Toth, there's his work on Torpedo (only a few stories, the rest were done by another awesome artist-Jordi Bernet), his Zorro (!) stories and-really- anything you can find.This awesome book is coming out soon, and looks like its going to be a real treat.

@Quike Garcia: yeah its awesome! i personally tend to the Bernet version myself! I still don't have a very precise idea of which classes i'm going to attend, but i figure i'll skip the oil traditional aspect completely to focus mostly on the lectures focused on comics, and probably a couple of concept art related ones.Will start ticking the options in the next few days!

@kidult: thank you, great to hear that!

@Tom van der Linden: thanks man! wondered if they would interest anyone.Hehe, no undo button, but there's still corretion fluid, a least

@Kan Muftić: oh yeah man, i'm getting all giddy just reading that...Felicita'...

@Pamz1e: thanks!

@MonkeYoakum: thanks you man, nice to see you pop by! Hope you're doing well!

right-as promised, just sketches this time.

some small pen doodles done before the spitfire and albatross illos seen in a previous update

Name:  planedoo.jpg
Views: 2686
Size:  186.6 KB

random doodle pages

Name:  turtle.jpg
Views: 2612
Size:  191.6 KB

Name:  doodle1.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  214.4 KB

small gesture sketches

Name:  poses.jpg
Views: 2631
Size:  172.0 KB

ink sketches.

Name:  doodle2.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  190.3 KB

Name:  copink.jpg
Views: 2531
Size:  305.2 KB

Name:  ink1.jpg
Views: 2851
Size:  170.9 KB

again-fantasy themed doodles.

Name:  fantasy.jpg
Views: 2514
Size:  174.1 KB

more interestng looking stuff in the next update, i hope- real soon!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Way too good man, those ink panels are amazing, and those sketch pages are awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing - and yeah, I hope the next update is coming soon as well! ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work as always dude! Looks like you're really mastering working with ink. I'm starting to miss your paintings though. Keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just wanted to pop in here and say WHOoooooooooooooooooooo good job on the Moebius study!! yayeyayeyayyayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyssss!!! :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah Ryan! I've been waiting anxiously for your next updates, and i get to see 2 updates on 1 page, wowwie! Those spitfire thumbs look cool, it would be neat to see you re-visit them sometime. The Sopwith Camel one looks especially enticing with its cloudy environment, very dreamy. Sometime I need to ask you your source for your non-inked comic panels. Not a single thing i can pick at, some goofy things that i really dig are the Pineapple head and the four (8?) eyed vulture cleric.

Good to hear you are out of your slump buddy, i hope you can keep us updated this often in the future

Keep it up man, inspiring as always!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @PieMonster: thanks man, glad you liked that!

@fantasyartist: thank you! he he don't thing i'm even close to mastering anything yet, but thanks he he i miss trying painting too i'll try do some this summer thought.

@MattGamer: hehe thanks!

@AustenFM: make it 3! thanks man.I really prefer the layouts for the planes too :/ The source for the studies are just enlarged photocopies.I lightly trace some rought "pencils",focusing on the big shapes, without stracing the contour of the brushstrokes or any actual areas of crosshatching.Then place the original in front of me and try and stay as close to the artists stroke as i can.This study isn't about structure anyway and that helps me concentrate on the actual inking.I dunno if i'll be able to keep up, but i'l definately try and keep myself busy this summer, and i'm sure the workshop will provide plenty of inspiration

these are some drawings for a short 4 page story i'm working on now.I should be done pretty soon hopefully.The theme was "future thirties".Unfortunately i won't be using my characters in the pencilled pages, i'll have to use the characters one of my classmates drew (hence the diffrent looking characters in the layout) :/
    New pages in the next update.

Name:  buono.jpg
Views: 4123
Size:  227.7 KBName:  cattiva.jpg
Views: 3465
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  robot.jpg
Views: 5379
Size:  220.9 KB

Name:  cattivacar.jpg
Views: 3325
Size:  172.8 KB
    Name:  buonocar.jpg
Views: 3363
Size:  196.6 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2367
Size:  168.9 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2382
Size:  160.7 KB

ciao!

24. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheGnoll For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah you packed so much action in the four page story sketches! can't wait to see it finished. and great inking on the designs. love the truck especially.
    you're rocketing yourself skyhigh in the comic biz. it's amazing to see you develop further and further-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh!Oh!Great! I really like your sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love Giraud/Moebius too! Insane discipline to copy exact Giraud's hatching! Thanks for the new line sketches! I like the monster head studies. Keep on posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice studies, with a lot of variety. The vehicle designs are well executed. Though, i fell like the truck is missing the wheels. I mean, the car seems to me more "right". Maybe it's just me. Keep it up!

Carnifex is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,061 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    insanely stylish designs,bravo!

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Tizzy is offline Slow and steady wins the race Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mannaggia a te! i tuoi studi per l'esame sono fantastici! Invidiaaaaaa!
    Sono sicura che le tue tavole verranno altrettanto belle ma adesso pensa al workshop e al portfolio Uff che periodo intenso!
    Buon lavoro!!

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oddiodiodiodiodioddio. La macchina... Il camion... Cheffigata.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Belle cose che fai... davvero *_* Ma dove studi? Frequenti qualche corso?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo, impressive inkage! Its a cliche, but..very inspiring. Really. Thank you

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Members who have read this thread: 52