Sketchbook: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10* - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking better! If you feel frustrated, it might be becouse you focus too much on the result, rather than the process it self. It doesn't hurt to slow down etiher...pherhaps you'll be suprised to see how rewarding it is to really spend time laying those values down. The more I study theese days, the more I realize how the efforts i spent in rendering also positively affects my line quality. It works both ways, I guess.

Good work on that mechanic guy. He does seem a little disconnected, but that's something that can be improved.
    Later!

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, your pencil sketches are really good ( unlike your inks.....don´t hit me!)

I do recomend you a really really thin pen for your inks, I bet You will feel a lot more confortable working with a 1.0 ( or even smaller )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @n0fish:thanks a lot. I guess you're damn right.I'll remember this, as soon as I have time

@Shamagim: thx a lot dude.I guess inks aren't my favourite medium.

ok, quicky update today, did these in front of the PC.A hyper quicky (fifteen minutes ) (i gotta slow down argh) and some pencil sketches.

Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*

guess I had to expect the lack of comments for the shitty quality of the updates these days

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, that's not true...I still have to apologize since I haven't crit your last works, but I'm damn busy with uni and work these days.
    You're doing good stuff as usual.
    What I realized about your work is
    1) Your quality is constant: you always get creative ideas and you always find an at least decent way to figure them.
    2) you're a bit lazy.....you should always try something new...
    And for " something new" I mean: try to get a stunning line quality and a professional result in some of your drawings ( I hope you understand what I mean), and when you know that you can do something, go further and add something else.
    SO...you can get really nice pencil drawings, this is obvious if you take a look at your sb...now go rendering your drawings! With pencil, chalk, pastels, digital....no matter what media you're going to use.

About your digi works:the result you get it's too airbrush-like...I'd try to get a more painted-like effect....don't know if I am clear, I mean like gouache illustrations, ok??

Keep up the good work ( at least you're working everyday, and you know that this is the most important thing!)

Ciao

Davide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, those sketches are impressive, the red one is amazing!
    Just a quick observation though, the shadow cast over batman seems to have the light source coming from the top right, but on his face it seems to be coming from the lower left...

"KEEEE-YYYAAAAAAHHHHHH B!TCH!!!!" - Ed Wuncler III, The Boondocks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very very good Gnollone!
    I like the dwarf and the other one, sure it'll be more good if you'll make it with more time! Work more on them!!!
    Hummm I see that you are updating a lot, I am a little busy in these days, but you continue to post!!!

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some lovely sketches you've been doing lately! I especially like this page and the 'high-tech dwarf lord'. Can't think of any fancy advice but I second what Davide said about trying rendering your drawings carefully. It's usually very rewarding to me at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @davidefabrizzi: thanks.You're right, i understand what you're talking about.Thanks for the kind words and...yes, I am too lazy.

@this1: thanks for the comments, I rally didn't notice that stupid mistake, thanks for pointing it out

@anjin:"work more on them"...hehe, i've been hearing this a lot, at school, and here.I guess I'll really have to fight this lazyness...thx for the comments

@smuli: thanks for the kind words.Yeah, i guess looking at a finished rendered drawing must be really rewarding, I'll have to try it someday.

Ok, daily update, tried to do less sketches today and I tried to actually render one.Hope this looks a bit less "unfinished".I'll surely practice some more rendering ASAP, school ends next week

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good updates, sorry its been so long since I've posted here. Looks like you're starting to think more about polishing the work. Your latest update is looking like a good start. The bottom of the robe feels a bit odd to me, can't really tell if its hanging or tight. Also, watch out for tangent lines on the left sleave, it becomes difficult to tell whats in front over there. Can't wait to see what you do when school is over and you've got more time. Keep drawing man.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your work is getting more and more polished, that last one is testament to that.
    Love to see a photoshop version of this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for stopping in again. I would agree with blanquish's comment, your stuff is getting more and more polished.
    You have a kind of rough style, which is completely fine. I think it would benefit you to reign it in a bit though, by focusing on what kind of mark you are using where. You seem to have a variety of marks in most of your stuff, but a lot of the time they don't seem to have any rhyme or reason, it's just a wild mixture.
    For instance, maybe try defining the edges of things with marks that are a little darker and sharper, or by using a gentler touch on things that are in the backround to help further define their location to the viewer.

-John

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AvatarJimmy: thanks man, good of you to point out those things, i'll watch out next time.

@blanquish: thanks.Actually, i tried, but i just layed down the basic colours in multiply wth PS, and now I don't know what i should do to continue

@JohnT: thanks for the comment i'll try to define my line weight too next time

ok.I must admit yesterday evening I had a pretty good time, so today i feel like a damn hammer is bashing my brain.But whatever, i won't post my drunk-gnoll's sketches.
    Here's some stuff for the videogame Chronicles of Dust (www.tgfxcrew.com , check out this stuff ), just sketches and a concept.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool update. I'd work on the wrist and ankle areas, they don't feel properly defined to me, remember there should be a sense of weight on these. Nice design though, and its good to see you doing a littel rendering. Keep it up.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see some more time consuming work... Many quick sketches often teaches you better than few polished drawings allright but after all, more finished work tells people what you know and can do with much of the chance factor eliminated (and makes more sense to critique ).

*looks at his own sketchbook and feels like a hypocrite*
    I'll try to pull myself together as well.

Both clean concepts look great to me overally, I especially love the arms, feet and steady pose of the first one. One thing to pay attention to would be line weight though... On the first one his right arm and on the second one the monster's head and crown for example blend a bit to the things behind them. You seem to press the outlines pretty much but you could try putting more line weight to the nearest things and shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool Gnoll, nice to see the Chronicles of dust stuff coming along. I was supposed to be doing some enviroments for it but moving house scuppered that. Shame really as it looks like it's really coming together.

Really like the comic hero/villan selection you've got up there as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AvatarJimmy: thanks.Could you specify better what you mean by "sene of weight" on the feet and hands area, crits on this one are really appreciated.Glad you like it

@smuli:I see exactly what you mean about the line weight, the head area is quite confused indeed.I'll double check next ime, thanks

@mull77: tgfx still needs enviro artist
    I'm glad you like the stuff

ok, a chara design i did for fun today.Got screwed up with swooshy lines (maybe a bit too swooshy), some mistakes here and there, but i quite had fun with it.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, seems like nobody liked the last one.Whatever, heres the fihished Chronicle of Dust concept.Tell me what you think (i wanted to finish this soon so i didn't correct it much, but if works fine for me)
    Just smacked in some values too.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Im liking the look of this guy, although he looks as if he's leaning over too much. But im sure you know this. I like your ideas alot, again inspirational stuff man.
    Oh, by the way ive started a sketchbook. Check it out, see what you think! not much there yet but im updating soon. 4 stars, tighten your linework up and spend more time on your sketches and you'll be damn good imo.

Last edited by KuNiva; June 6th, 2006 at 11:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡ BoneDaddyDribble ‡‡‡‡

It is all good <> this is a tough thread <> good stuff sometimes falls through the cracks here and falls off the page quick <> of course we are supposed to do new work and post <> like I said it's all good.

Guy is leaning a little lol <....> excellent work btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @KuNiva: thanks a lot for the comments and the stars (woohooo! 4 stars, that made my day ).Thanks, yeah i noticed he was leaning too much as soon as i finished it , i mentioned it in the post too).About your sketchbook, ther still isn't enought stuff, but i'll keep an eye on it

@mentler:thanks a lot.I see you as some kind of CA.org mentor here, so its great to see you pass by once in a while

some random hyper quick sketches, nothing special at all (just trying to regain confidence with my character decem)

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow I missed so many updates, I gotta start trying to be half as productive as you

I like your swooshy guy, he is having some leaning issues but solid design. sketches are nice and dynamic as usual, looking forward to seeing some more rendering and finished-ish stuff when school is over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah! finally i &#180;ll took a visit. u &#180;ve got some greeeat design s man! i these are excactly the design i&#180;ll really recognize, your sketches also looks really dynamic. but on the last guy it seem s u were too lazy to draw the legs in wich with he would look even better, but i also do the same fault keep it up i&#180;l come . whos the warrior who said "put that child down!" loool

i&#180;ll be back

aviable for fulltime and freelance

http://alexpascenko.blogspot.de/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo gnoll...
    just wanted to say that i like your charadesigns A LOT! fantastic stuff...
    thumbs up!

C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really dig the last sketch - solid poses. Cool stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    17 huh? you draw alot better then i did when i was that age. Keep it up, lookin good

~thest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @octopus interphone: thx dude.You bet you should be more productive, update soon

@GOBLINSHARK: thx dude, glad you pooped by the "put that child down" is the main character for a comic idea I had, I'm trying to regain confidence with him (more stuff 'bout him on page 2)

@Kicek:thank a lot man, i wish me speedy enviros were half as good as yours

@Fellah: thanks a lot, i'm happy when big names check my stuff

@Thestjester: thanks a lot.You bet i'll keep updating

ok, i'm doing some stuff for the Chronicles of dust, so you should be able to see some soon.Here's just a quick sketch done while checkin out replies

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, i agree with the rest of the folks in here. The shapes are good and the poses look great. I admire that you are able to capture theese things in so short time. Keep on working and refining and you'll kick (my) ass!

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Wow, you are really dedicated to your art now, summer break or something?
Nice updates, not much to critique, exept that you shoulnt use Softbrushes like
that, as in the post 243, but the latest digitals looks awsome, so just keep
the very good work up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, i like the sketches. Very Marvel! Cool poses as ever in your work...damnit MUST do life drawing. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As others have said, solid construction and dynamic poses on those characters... Keep up the good pace too

• Page 9 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 19