Sketchbook: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10* - Page 6

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Shamagim: yup, strong marko influence here be sure i will keep it up
    @n0fish:i'm gonna start some of those soon, i need more time and a break from this damn school
    @anjin:grazie! yeah maybe i should use the mutiply mode, but i'm trying out new methods.I'm glad u like these last sketches
    @AvatarJimmy:yeah, i will, as soon as I have time .Improvement is just what i'm looking for

okay, i was just doodling with PS today trying out something new, and just did this little thing, just to practice rendering, values n stuff.Don't know if i'm gonna do more on this, I already hate it

Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*

ciao!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your loose sketching and admire the strong 3d feel of the horse studies. I've just drawn balls and contours but I should try to remember to use construction lines as well. Nice character on the figure drawings too. Keep them coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wowa man! I just went through your sb, and damn! great improvments! I like all the small gestures and monster concepts, etc.. Your zombie-cowboy was real funny and good too. allso glad you're in to the anatomy studying!

Keep us updated, and thanks for stopping by my sb!
    tiger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bella Iena...the last piece seems to have potential, I like the texture of the skin, the gesture and the shading as well. The eye area is cool. Are these your first approaches to painting? I'd try some traditional techniques too, in addiction to digital work, something like markers or pastels. That's because I love traditional materials, but also because I think you could have a lot of fun and maybe more improvements...it's just a friendly suggestion, digital things are ok for me. See u soon, keep working.....I'll be watching!

ps: ci siamo risposti praticamente in contemporanea. Eccezionale.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heheh
    i guess i prefer digital media because of one litle useful thinghy called..."undo".It just sooo much easier to just do it digitally, instead f wasting 20 minutes to find a damn brush,20 trying to get something decent down, and 30 minutes yelling at my cat 'cause he spilled the water or the floor.I hope i'll do more of these this summer, today i'm gonna check the 2DArtist magazine, it has some great tutorials and inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡ BoneDaddyBoogie ‡‡‡‡

Nicely done pages <> I need to draw horses <> keep putting it off <> they are such regal animals one needs to give them a little time to understand form and movement better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those digitals look great, but beware so that they dont get
    too smooth. That last guy's eye is amazing, really well
    done Keep up the updates and il b back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @mentler: thank you bone doctor, always a pleasure to see you here.Yeah i've noticd thyr anatomy is really so graceful you just have to make a small mistake to ruin it all.Same thing happens when drawing women...thy are so damn hard to draw
    I'll keep practicing.
    @WolfBane:thanks .Yuo, i tried not to make it look too smooth like my first digi attempts, so i just used for the first time textured brushes, grain and crap, i think this is finished enought for a sketch maybe I'll add some kind of BG or maybe i'll never touch it again ...oh, i just LOVE drawing, rendering, sketching, and colouring eyes.

hope to post some sketches tonite
    ciao

Last edited by TheGnoll; May 9th, 2006 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice character design. I also like the way you made the skin so "dynamic". Those wrinkles and veins and all add a lot to the rendering. It still seems a bit blurry at places though. I just use a solid brush with 50% opacity when I want to go for a painting-like look.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey.
    Where is the light source? The thing that bothers me the most, is how you assume the shapes of the muscles and then outline the shapes with black shadow. Focus on the big shapes first, and render them accordingly. No need to add fancy detailing to a bad foundation.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool design, I like the details, but gonna have agree with n0fish on this one, feels like it needs a solid light source to better define the form. On the bright side, you did a pretty decent job of not making it feel too "digital airbrush"-y, so I think you're on the right path with that. Lets see some more of these.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the first page of inks from april 30th, there is such a difference between the main two drawings, the big axe guy gets lost in all the little details while the guy at the bottom really catches your eye because of the contrast of light creature and black drippy halo thing.

going to do more horse sketches? the first ones are looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a nice texture you have for that monster, Can&#180;t wait to see it finished .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    wonderfull stuff !!
    i got nothing to add, great sence of "life" in your art, i like it alot !

cheerrs and good luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool creatures and whatnot. keep them balls bouncin man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A R G H
    just finished writing long replies, the PC crashed.Guess i'll write 'em again

@smuli:thanks, just texture and skin forls and random crap was what i was working for in this piece.Didn't even start working on some parts (like the hand) guess that's why its so blurry
    @n0fish:thx for the constructive crits, i appreciate them man actually i guess i was looking for some kind of global illumination here, but it seems i got something wrong in the basics, i'll pay more attention next time
    @AvatarJimmy:thanks! guess i'll hae to wait till the holidays start to do some serious digital exercises, don't have much time these days
    @octopus interphone:thx, glad you like the ink stuff.Here are some horses legs, you'll have to wait for more horse studies 'cause they're getting pretty frustrating to do
    @Shamagim:thanks! well, don't think you'll see it finished, I was hoping it was just a digi study , and i'm not to enthusiast about the design, the only thing I like is the eye
    @hurricane:wow, thanks for stopping by, really glad you like my stuff hurri, hope you'll check it out once in a while
    @Theo:thanks! checked out your gallery, the stuff there is great!

ok, didn't update yesterday 'cause i had some problems with CA.org...here are some horse leg skeleton studies, a portrait of my wonderful cat Poocha, and some random crap where i tried out hurricane rendering style without success

ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice work today, I dig the guy with the axe. I think if you were trying to work in a style like Hurricane, you may have overworked the torso a bit. From what I've seen of his work, he's really good at drawing hatching around the form. I think working on feeling the line move around the character will help get you a look more like what you're after. Still, nice work today. See you tomorrow.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely cat sketch and some nice, dynamic poses on the characters. I also like the shadings of the axe guy though a bit darker shadows could be needed to define the forms more. Great line quality too (I admire the cleanness of the small figure especially).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the new stuff ( except for the cat, the lines looks kinda scrappy ), animals are fun to do .

I really like the little guy in the last one .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AvatarJimmy:thanks, I was all in a rush 'cause i just had to update hurricane's rendering is damn thought if you ask me, kickass style, but not my style.I guess this was just a try
    @smuli:thanks. hehe, the lil' guy was actually the quickest of all, just took me a few minutes, i wanted to try a "different" pose, for a change
    @Shamagim:thx, yeah, guess the cat looks too "scrappy", but i never realized how thought it is too draw from life (i ain't used to it anymore, i used to do it a few years ago in school) and, the cat was too curious too see what I was doing to actually stay still and sleep

ok, some kind of update today, cybernetic samurai for Teen Challenge 7, and something CaptaineDub inspired.C ya tomorrow

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems like I've missed your update yesterday! Ok, two in one...Did you take a break from digi-alien? Well, the cat is lovely....I can't crit the anatomy one because I can't even understand wich animal is ( I just read it's a skeleton horse...good work).
    The guy with the axe is a nice example of a simple drawing that works very well: proportions are ok ( though his shoes are huuuge eh eh), nice gesture, ha una posa molto comunicativa ed &#232; ben caratterizzato dagli elementi che hai volutamente esagerato. ( ps: sai chi ricorda? Majin bu, un personaggio di dragonball)
    The little kind-of-alien guy is wonderful. Is he yelling to a kind-of-alien employer?
    The samurai could be more cybernetic, IMO. And the drawing looks a bit flat, But it's a very nice work, especially for the design of the armor.
    Now let's hope that tomorrow u'll take the last sketch and develop it...I think that could be cool.
    Keep up the good work iena

Ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. scetches are looking good, but i think you can take them further. I agree that the cat drawing is somewhat fuzzy, but i like the reawness to it. I belive that being able to keep it that loose, while constantly refining you skills, will take you far. The axe guy has a nice pose, but his torsoe is quite messy. Look up the interaction between the ribcage and the muscles that connect to it. The sternum and the clavicles is a good vantage point for perspective and foreshortening. The pecs attaches from the humerus, to the sternum and they 'morph' acordingly to the arms movement. Just take off your shirt and see for yourself. In fact, if you just do a dozen of anatomy studies, coupeled with a mirror, you'll learn heaps of stuff - more than you can get from copying.

About that last pic, again, I think you can take it alot further. Laying a solid tone with your pencil doesn't take that much time. I think you'll be suprised how good it feels then you tidy that up and the values actually speaks the shapes. Also, his machine gun put's me a little off..the upside-down 'v' caused by the guns distracts the flow of the composition - not much - but enough.

Here's a challenge for ya. Try drawing the guy repetedly. You don't have to draw him 10 times in a row, but stick to it. Break it into small, seperate steps. Apply perspective in one step, construction in another - think of it as adding clay to a sculpture. For each layer, you add more substance to the figure.

All right, this got lengthy. Gotta stop writing now, before all my drawing time i spent.

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice bones. The axe wielding guy seems to get lost in all the little lines of that style. The samurai is looking good, one little picky thing though is the lower arm thingies are not symmetrical, the right one is longer and has a thinner top band.

I really like the lines of the last one to, bad he got chopped off mid-knee – damn ufos think they can just do anything they want…

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the samurai, I think the design could look more uniform and less busy... There does seem to be some of the same design features in different parts of the armor but I think the problem is that there's so many of those features. Also, the square pauldrons and "hip-guards" seem to conflict a bit with the flowy forms on the arms.

And as others have said, it's pretty hard to discern things from the soldier picture because of the quick shadings and lines. I understand that sometimes you just don't have the patience though. Also, I guess it depends on where you think the horizon to be but he seems to me to be falling backwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoa, cool comments guys, thx everybody

@davidefabrizzi:thx,nope, didn't "take a break" from the alienI just don't think i'll touch it ever again...
    glad you like the sketches.si conosco majin bu (nonostante non abbia mai seguito il cartone)
    @n0fish:thx for the long, useful reply i see what you mean about the torso there, i agree its totally wrong.Actually, i never tried "self studies"...guess ui should try.
    About the last pic, I drew it real wuick, and unfortunately i find laying values soooo damn slow (but i guess i'll have to do it sooner or alter...)
    About your little challenge, i guess i'll try and draw this chara again then (not today tho )
    @octopus interphone:thx, just noticed what you mean in the samurai thing.
    @smuli:yeah, i guess you're right with the design.Actually i don't like it anymore, dunno, it sometimes happens to me.

...ok.Well, if you thought the last one was too loose and hard to understand, well, i just love doing this kind of stuff once in a while, so here's a page full of 'em

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just love the assassin guy in ur last post, his pose is just amazing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your quick sketches here. Theres a lot of vitality to the drawings. Some of them have some minor anatomy problems, but nothing that can't be ironed out during the next stage. When you work on more finished drawings, do you blow up your thumbnails and use a light table? Or just try again from scratch, because some of these have much more vitality than some of your more finished work. I'd like to see more of these, along with some you take to completion. Keep drawing.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again, I love the loose sketching and you got some very dynamic-looking action shots there. The only thing I notice to criticize is the weird-looking foreshortening on the assassin's right arm but that's maybe just because of the roughness. I think you found a nice balance in hatching for the guy on the top right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Wolfbane: thx mate
    @AvatarJimmy:thx.Well, normally i draw these again full size, then erase and refine while i go.Otherwise i just blow up the thumbnail digitally and work from that (actually, that is what i would do, i i actually did finishd drawings...hope i do some this summer )
    @smuli:thx.Yep, these were drawn pretty fast, hope i keep refining my skills till a point where i wont do these anatomy errors anymore (it will take time )

here a little thing, maybe i'll post something more tonight

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi gnoll! Very good stuff in your update yesterday. The sketches are dynamic, expressive, and loose enough. I like the way you draw only the strictly necessary lines of your subjects ( insomma, come riesci a sintetizzare).
    The point is...sometimes you do it ( as u did yesterday), sometimes you don't, as in today drawing. It has got some good design work ( the weapon, for example), but the drawing seems a bit flat, and the pose unnatural...it could be more dynamic, if you understand what I mean.
    Even a static pose can be dynamic or not, you know that ( your drawings of may 7th are an example of this, those are static poses, but u made them look dynamic)
    Try to work in this direction.
    See u tomorrow

Davide

Page 6 of 109 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23