Sketchbook: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10* - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, that page is awsome, shows that you gone wild with
    ideas wich is awsome Good work Gnoll! keep it up! !!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Improvement galore.
    Batman is fantastic, thanks for the crits!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your last updates, dude! Absolutely great characters. Those Lovecraft's pages - my favorites. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blanquish:hehehehe, i'm not sure about the whole get drunk-draw thing either, it ain't workin anymore thanks for the knd words ;

@Dile:thanks mate

@Asoir:thanks

@Ulver:thanks very much

ok."Keep it up" sounds great, but it just ain't THAT easy these days.I'm going to the seaside for a week with some friends and i'm leaving saturday morning, so i just thought i could post the last update.Not much to show, looks like summer isn't my right time to draw.Thats for the nice words anyway

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

cool creatures and imaginary stuff here. I really like that head in the last update. It looks inch perfect. Good work! The liitle cat is funny .
    Keep on going with everything, imginary stuff, ref and important studies. Life studies (important) and anatomy studies. Loomis is key, and so is
    bridgman. But the last body is good. Keep on going!!!

Qxzi

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the two first sheets of your last post, the poses, especially on the upper torsos look stiff to me. Probably because you've drawn both shoulders pretty high (it shows in some of your past sketches too, like the Batman and medieval knight). Some ref peaks reminding how the back muscle descends towards shoulders could help.

I love the last page, especially the rythm and proportions of the woman sketch. You make me bloody jealous. Did you use a lighter pencil under it or did it really go right the first time? I'm only wondering should the ankle between her stomach and left thigh be more smooth but I'm not sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Qxzi: Thanks for the comments.I'm trying to do more anatomy studies lately Unfortunately i fid life drawing incredibly boring, so i avoid doing it

@smuli:yeah, i understand what you mean about those shoulders, and you're right.I'll try improving that
    Thanks for that comment about the woman, i never draw them so i'm slooooooowly trying to practice
    Anyway, no, i didn't use a lighter pencil under it, i only erased some parts in the butt and the boobs.You can see evry thing i do on paper, cause i use my pencil as a bloody scalpel.And i almost never use an eraser 'cause i always lose them.But believe me, all this isn't THAT good, i wish i could do a CLEAN render

Ok, i'm leaving tonite/tomorrow, so i thought i might post something decent.Rough n dirty as usual, most of the lines just woudn't go away
    (i'm using some different rough paper, but it didn't fit in the scanner so you can see that strange colour and gradients).It was inspired by the LOTR design by John Howe n Alan Lee (great stuff )

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Judging from Your first page you have really improved, I like your artwork.

Now , the arm on our left of the foremost orc in you latest drawing looks extremely small, and at that angle cant really be forshortened much. unless you turned it a little closer to the viewer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good to see the pages starting to flow. The cthulu page is great and i also like some of the recent compositions. Work some life stuff in there, it will help your lines and value. Make your darks as dark as you can, your pics will pop out more

Keep up the good work man, try get some more updates happening, ill check back!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, I guess I should try using pencil like a scalpel for once. Nice feel of battle in the latest sketch! I like the frontmost orc's pose, apart from the foreshortenings (his left upperarm seems to me a bit weird too, I think because the ellipse on the shoulder armour isn't round enough. They're always rounder than you'd think ;P)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your sketches like this last one seem to be getting a bit more refined but still keeping the looseness which is great. The sterotype guy is looking a bit stumpy. nice kitty and monsters btw.

hope you're enjoying your trip and not doing anythng too stupid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, here i am, backfrom the seaside holiday with my friends.

@KoH:thanks for he nice words AND the comments.You're right about that arm...guess i need to pay more attention next time

@Spade:hehehe, its hard to get the pages flowing these days, especially decent ones, but thanks a lot for the suggestions

@smuli:hehehehe thanks.Yeah, seems i f*cked up the arms

@octopus_interphone:thanks "not doing anything stupid" heheheh don't worry, i'm bak although i did a LOAD of stupid things, and i bloody enjoyed them all

ok, just got back and i'm trying to get the pencils running again, hand is kinda rusty...

Attached Images Attached Images        

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    cool updates, i like it all! nice "wild" feeling to your sketches! made me really want to sit down and draw more cheeers buddy and sorry that i couln't find anything to critique...just keep at it because you're doing GREAT!

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÍRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,

good updates here dude. Looking good with the imagination stuff. Keep it up, wanna see more!

Qxzi 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @hurricane:thanks hurri for the nice words, LOL you managed to skip the crit part this time too...i'll getcha sooner or later

@Qxzi:thanks, i'll try n update more

ok, nice surprise for me today, finally found D'artiste Concept Art in the postbox today.Very nice book, vry inspiring too, and it was a pleasure too find some famous conceptart.org faces in there.SO finally i did omething i can call finished (for my standards at least.It ain't exactly cthulhu, but it looks like him
    I'l cheat a bit, and since its crit week i'll post this in the critique center too, so help another wannabe artist, will ya?

Actually i prefer the pencil verson to the colour one, some anatomy flaws for sure, but i'm kinda satisfied with this one

(i hope the size isn't a problem, i uploaded it with imageshack, tell me if its a problem and i'll resize it )

ciao

Last edited by TheGnoll; August 21st, 2006 at 04:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey the gnoll !!
    GOod looking sb you got there. Your studies are well done, and they show how well you understand the human body.
    Nothing to crit for the moment.
    Just keep the goodness coming!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome head design on the newest monster but some dynamic perspective (bigger left hand and knee) would've added so much to the believability IMO. I like the colours and mood generally but since the pyramid looks so bright, shouldn't it affect the forms around it more, causing more shadows (especially cast shadows, the thigh below the hand is as bright as anything)?

Nice work with the anatomy sketches too but on the head sideviews, remember it should be about as wide as it's high.

You've got some nice start there after the pause, now keep that pace up! *spank*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should try to vary the values on the coloured peice more. The entre guy is roughly the same tone, if you made the glowy triangle the main light source it would give the piece more contrast and intrest.(the triange, chest, hands, and head etc would be highlighted and the feet and such would fade out into the darkeness) You may also want to bring some warm colours in(possibly in the glowy thing) to make the colours less monotonous. Also the light blue ziz-zag lines on the left are not helping the peice, they're out of place.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very sweet stuff of late, i like your style alot, though id really like to see you find the enjoyment and start churning it out. Seems like your abit too hard on yourself sometimes, you do have talent dude

only thing i would say is try draw as much as you can, dont worry about drawing stuff your not happy with, (besides, your gonna look back on the stuff you think is good now at somestage and think it is crap to what you are doing then )

focus on LEARNING even if its learning how to draw the most badass monsters ever, you aint gonna get better or draw pictures your really happy with by not drawing (or drawing less) cause your worried it will be bad.

enjoyed the cthulu peice alot, hope your happy with it. keep slogging it out bro, ill be back

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice monster! Actually I prefer the colored version. What I wanted to say on that piece has already been covered... how does it look without the linework layer? If it reads well without the linework, then you know you have your rendering right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Recursive End: Seeing your studies, your kind words are worth double, thanks

@smuli: right said about the chtulhu piece smuli, i've been beaten up enought in the crit section hehehe, thanks as usual

@octopus interphone: i see what you mean, same as above.Thanks for the visit

@Spade: thanks for the very kind words mate, i'm trying

@Meatsworthy: thank you very much here you go, dunno if its reads well without the linework...

anyway, heres the no line verion of cthulhu (i didn't touch it, paintovers are appreciated) and some sketches from today, just checking out Burne Hogarts' book again

ciao

Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice man! Thanks for your comments!

On the last pencil sketch, the guy is quite off, or maybe it isnt, but it feels very un natural on someway, cant put my finger on it!
    The arms looks very good thought! Keep it up!

~Dile

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice SB here. some of my favorite things to see in a SB : improvement, variety of concepts and ideas, and devotion. you've got all these things! studying hogarth will pay off bigtime, keep at it. i'd like to see 10 more pages of studies like the one above. one thing i noticed is your line work. its improved however when you're studying hogarth, really try to emmulate his line qualities because he has some wonderful contours.

keep at it!
    -ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol @ my name is in your title.

Well since you obliged, I thought I'd give that paintover a shot. Pretty much along the lines of what you were getting in the crit section... define your forms, warm/cool relationships, and moodier lighting. I think the hands could be fixed up a little too, but I didn't get to it. Some light errors, but maybe it'll give you some ideas.

EDIT: Oh, it did read ok without the lines... just adding shadows immediately made it read better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude, you rock! You are improving yours skills every sketch you post. Well... I think you are also worked on the line, it seems to me more sharp and less shaked.

I saw also you continued your sketbook's posts all this time, I didn't have this opportunity for a while, but I should have possibility to continue it from now! When you can a opinion it'll be welcome like always, and for sure... I hope to meet you in Italy workshop!

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your poses and confidence!
    http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/6056/cthulhufx2.jpg - this guy s very cool. I walso like that war scene!

Good stuff, keep them coming!

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, man. You've improved a ton. Obviously. Love the dynamic poses in here.
    Probably due to your wild n' "barbarric" (couldn't find a better expression) working method. See
    perhaps some more clearness and cleanness would make em more readable.
    So long....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dile:Thanks mate dunno what looks off to you, but could be the legs or the neck region...about the profile dude, well, he's just crap

@Ryan DeMita:those were very nice words, thanks, almost made me proud
    i see what you mean about the line quality, thanks for pointing it out ...and about the ten pages of hogart studies...well, you'll have to wait but hey made come

@Meatsworthy: hehe, you did what i should have...thanks a lot for the paintover, looks really cool...wish i could paint like you argh thanks for the visit

@Anjin:hey! long time no see thanks for the nice word and, yes, see you (hopefully) at the workshop

@fooxoo:thanks! ...i'm less confident than you imagine tho

@blacky:thanks for the visit! yeah, i know, its just soooo damn easier when its wild n barbaric

ok, not much of an update, but its an update.BTW:

1)i've got one of the worst hangover ever.
    2)i've bought one of those wonderful electric pencil sharpener, and my 2B pencil is disappearing into nothing.

ok, cut the chatter, here's the stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanx for the kind words in my book mate!

You got some really good looking pencils - like what's happening to your line. Reminds me that I need to practice mine some more. Good looking designs, faces looks like loomis faces - nice character incorporated into them!

Good work mate - keep it up dude!
    ciao!

- d.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ciao gnollone,
    I like the rhino warrior, it could be a good start for a nice concept illustration! Other things are more or less interesting, not bad also the guy with mace! Still of opinion you should sketch less in quantity and work more on quality, Some ideas of your sketch are very good and you should elaborate them!

Did you like the last update of my SB? if you liked the guy with rope... I think you'll like the last I put online!

Anjin
    della Citta' Eterna
    "un marinaio non prega per il tempo buono... impara a navigare"
    - Anjin Art Website - - Sketchbook - - Anjin Art Blog -

Page 14 of 109 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 52