Sketchbook: Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10* - Page 11

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool updates, like the crazy hic guys, and the weird squid head guy offering up a smoke... hahahahaha, ur imagination is fuckin cool man... also diggin the big guy with the mohawk... keep em comin!

"KEEEE-YYYAAAAAAHHHHHH B!TCH!!!!" - Ed Wuncler III, The Boondocks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha the faded-in face of the drunk guy made me laugh, not sure why.

don't give up on drawing the ladies, keep working on things you're not used to drawing. you have already got lots of practice doing badass guys/monsters in armour

...page 6 is so empty...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff, and you're actually updating regularly unlike me, so good job. Congrats on the stars too. I think you were starting to get somewhere with the renderings so lets see some more of those. Sorry for not posting for so long, if you still are curious as to what I meant about a sense of weight on that drawing from a while ago, let me know and I'll do a paint over or something. I think thats all I got, keep drawing.

My Sketchbook

-Anthony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @this1: thanks dude lol, my imagination is going as usual, its just that summer makes me go crazy

@octopus interphone:thanks...don't worry, page six will fill up just like the other ones

@Avatar Jimmy:Thanks.You can do a paintover if you want, but that one's finished and approved now I thought i had more time for finished drawings, but actually now i'm too busy with other things

Ok, i started some kind of sketchbook with something i found around the house...the pages are really small, but should be enought to draw.Nothing spectacular tho

Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*
    Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*

ciao!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know if you have but you should give kneadable erasers a go... They never mess up the paper if that's what you're worrying about. But nice monsters again and good to see some hand sketches too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha... ur latest update made me laugh... alot... diggin the drunk page, i hate you too pinneapple... no i lie... i love pinneapple... mmmmm... pinneapple... so anywho... diggin ur funky lookin creatures, the one in green is funny, and the baby eater is too... o and congrats on a new page, cant believe i forgot that before...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @smuli:thanks for the suggestion.I actually DO have a kneadable eraser, just that i never use erasers.Guess i should start

@this1: LOL.That's what alchool n stuff does to your brain, i guess.I did that very late in the morning, too hot to sleep so i just sat in bed drawing and sweating...heheh actually i got nothing against pineapples, i just drew whatever went to my mind oh well

ok, here's another hyper quick concept for TGFX project, took me half an hour.argh.

You'll get the finished piece tomorrow

Gnoll's Stuff *UPDATE 01/10*

ciao

Last edited by TheGnoll; June 22nd, 2006 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Nice concept!
Like you said, abit rough, but sill a nice concept!
The (for us) right arm is very stiff and soo is his over body however
nice, and thanks for looking by

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dile: thanks.Yeah you're right about the arm, but i'll need to do some more poses anyway.

Here's the finished version, an hour.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thought i'd return the favor since you posted a few times in my sb =)
    Those updates look good. I can't crit the pencils since they look great, but that last pic could use some highlights and some darker values. Like in the arm pit, or between the legs ().
    Anyway, i'll come back so keep posting !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NIIICE update dude, I really dig the design of that one, thoug I would love to see a full rendered BADASS finished version of this. Right now the rendering is lacking contrast and looks really, well "flat" (although I think that you did this on purpose). SO keep at ti dude and give us some more of that stuff, looks really sweet

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think these are great designs mate. I'd suggest you focus on pose development. Its a pain in the ass, coz i cant fuckin do it yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea, kian brings up a good point, your creaturs and sketches are very well done, and awesome to look at, but pose work would be like the garnish that doesnt define the work, but accentuates it... i have an idea for your gill hunter, maybe its a dumb one, maybe its too much work, but if you had him either leaning on his hind legs so it would look more like he was attacking or something it would look cool, or maybe im just a dork...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just wanted to replies, since i don't really find anything decent to post, sry

@Recursive End: thanks for the comment.Yep, I guess you're right about that, i was hoping the pencil shadow would show but it doesn't.I'll do something about it

@Gloominati:Thanks ...damn, before your comments i was hoping this WAS a rendered finished version .Ok, then i guess i have to push the highlights n shadows

@Kian:Thanks a lot.LOL i thought i did enought pose exercise in the last page, but it seems its never enought.But you guys are right, i was too much in a hurry to devolop the concept, and i just didn't think about a decent cool looking pose.

@this1:thanks for keeping an eye on this thread mate ok, i see nobody likes the pose
    No problem, it wasnt a stupid comment.I have to work on the other two gill hunters anyway (another male and a female) so i can practice some other poses.Centaur-ish creatures piss me off, i just hate the fact of having two rib cages, dunno why

ok, i'll update with something decent sooner or later

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the energy of the green monster. The cat-man centaur tiger thing really needs a stronger lighsorce and contrast, he looks very grey and washed out. nice design though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
  • hey, thats a nice one Gnoll!
    You refined it a quite bit, and it looks alot better now keep it up!
    cya !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey gnoll...the last piece is really good man. watched your sb you are really progressing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can only humor Olsen. Great growth in this SB. I really like the tiny sketchbook pieces and the niffty self portraits. the f*cking drunk page is hilarious. Those Oni, chinese Fantasy stuff from the beginning really caught my eye ´cause that´s pretty unique theming. Not many people from Europe do this and you pull it off very well. I´d like to see more of that kinda stuff.

Good on ya

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I absolutely love your sketch style... very loose, almost appears effortless. I'll be keeping an eye on you.

Melissa Renae
    Website // Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    octopus interphone: Thanks.Guess you guys are right about the gill hunter.

@Dile; thanks

@OleOlsen: yeah, thanks for checkin my stuff again

@bbwolf:thanks.The oriental stuff was for a Warhammer project, had fun with it.

@steinspinne:Thanks a lot

@Mentler: thanks

not yet decent enought, bu here's the update.Some try at vehicle design, maybe i'll put some colours on these so hat you can understand them better.These are all REALLY quick.The pose of the demon is from a Hogart book.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff as ever man! seems like ages since ive posted anything about your work. Good to see you trying new things to do, instead of doing what comes naturally. Try putting a ground shadow on the vehicle to bring it off the page a little with a grey marker. Might not be essential as its only a sketch, but why not give it a shot. Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hya Gnoll

From those last post this particular caught my eye. I like it but:

The front legs seem way to short and very together. That´s not widde enuff apart. For more kickass posture the legs should be further apart. That´s not a very solid stand even for an four legged character.
    I´d REALLY like t´see that reworked ´cause I like yer lions so much. ´xept they seem a bit bored.
    Maybe check out some more Hogarth poses and work from there?

Your Hourglas man again, huh? Cool. "Eat my short" yeah! EAT my DIRTY SHORTS!!!!

A tutor once said to me: "Let your mind go!" and it didn´t come back.

Wolf@WorK aka Sketchbook

my Heavy Industrie, Military and Steampunk References/Textures (updated Oct 2012)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda crazy stuff as usual
    you should keep your lines tighter, very messy
    id love to see some more coloured stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great, finally you've updated. I love the looseness and great level of detail in the machine drawing, the gadgets look believable too... Even though it's a sketch, you could have made it much more 3d and easier to comprehend with some line weight though (as well as the next sketch... his left arm and front legs seem to blend to the background). I know it's probably not the most important thing but just a tip to still raise the appeal a bit with little effort. The minotaur looks a bit stiff from the hip down, no idea how to fix that though.

Great work all in all, keep it up! (Though as you've said, the subject matters could vary a bit more... How about some more environment-oriented work for a change? )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Kuniva:Thanks a lot as usual.Yeah, i probably will try out putting some value down on some oftyhese sketches.The vehicle is ceratinly difficult to understand.

@bbwolf: thanks.I agree about the pose.Guess yes, it needs reworking.Its kinda hard for me to find a cool stance.Anyref could help.I will practice poses

@blanquish:yeah, i need some cleaning up.Here's some "colour (i tried )

@smuli:thanks for the comments.YEah, i lack variety.I got some nice dvds to train on enviros.

ok, here's my final entry for this week's CHOW.Dunno if it actually suits, but i wanted to try it.Finally i opened PS again

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am watchin your sketchbook cause you are regular but don't have something constructive to tell.You seem to have fun with those sketches which is good.Nice entry for the chow I like those yellows and blues.May be some more work on the edges ?

Cheers
    M.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @heartbeat: thanks for the comments.I don't actually have tim to finish thisu nfortunately, but it deninately need refinement.Aw well

Anyway, sorry to bump this, but wanted to reply and add the character concept too:

Marlinians:

The sport of bull shark fighting is very popular in the aggressive race of the marlinians.They are an acquatic race, a cross of human and sail fish features.Males usually grow an impressive blue crest on their back, too help them swim at terrible speed.The have primitive but efficient culture, and their only natural enemy are the Giant Bull Sharks of Kahli (their native planet).When they manage to capture one, they usually enclose the shark in a coral reef, were young and more experienced males fight agains the shark/s to prove their courage and swimming ability.They usually first attract the sharks attention with their back-sail, swimming back and forth, they when the shark is badly wounded they kill him with arpoons made or carved corals.The number of shark's teeth necklaces is a diplay of power in males of the marlinian race.

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice character design but the lighting could be worked on. I don't think a lighsource coming directly from the viewer is ever good for defining the forms.. You also have highlights in conflicting places I think, like the throat and top of the chest muscles. Don't know if you were going for some kind of ambient lighting but to me, the brightest highlights just suggest otherwise. The fact that you have rays drawn there also makes me wonder why you haven't made the sunlight any more intensive on the character.

But great to see coloured work from you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks smuli for the comments.Guess you're right about the lightning, got a bit carried away and completely screwed it.I tried to refine it a little bit, the finished version is in the ChOW area, but i just read your comments now.well, we've all got much to learn, thank god i've still got time by my side.I'll do better next time, i guess

ciao

• Page 11 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 23