MICA vs. SCAD vs. RISD vs. Cooper Union ---- I got Accepted to MICA and RISD!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

MICA vs. SCAD vs. RISD vs. Cooper Union ---- I got Accepted to MICA and RISD!

Hey CA good to see you

I am a senior in highschool and am planning on going to an art college. I take art very seriously and have given this decision very much thought. There are many colleges to which I am applying but i dont have a solid idea of which school i would like to actually attend.

WHat i'm looking for in an art college is a program that has a very strong traditional basis where i can learn a great deal about technique and traditional art in general (color theory, anatomy, environments, life drawing.... .etc). At the same time i want a school that is able to take this and apply it to a modern sense and bring into a new realm that utilizes design and technology.

The schools to which I am applying are:

1. Maryland Institute College of Art
    2. Savannah College of Art and Design
    3. Rhode Island School of Design
    4. Cooper Union

Could I get some recommendations and advice. Also, any schools that fit my description that I havent listed??

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111

hey just an update i got accepted to both mica and risd!! havent heard back from teh others

Last edited by m00ftak; February 3rd, 2006 at 07:54 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So...what do you want to major in?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cooper Union is a fine arts college. They probably won't be able to teach you anything about classical drawing methods and techniques. If they do, it'll be pretty thin. They're more into exploration and stuff.

I'm also kind of confused...what kind of program are you looking into? Are you planning on being an illustrator or something? Give us some idea of what you're planning on doing and then we can help you.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you wanna do traditional stuff with a degree in classical foundation then id go to MICA. i have visited that school and it seems like my jaw hit the floor every 2 minutes that day. they have very good classical drawing and painting classes. but the issue really is what you wanna get a degree in. most colleges teach u traditionial art media if you take illustration. because you have to anyway.

"Is Japan in the future?" Rob ( Co-worker)
    "Wait.. What?" Me
    " They are almost done tommorow and I haven't even started tommorow" Rob
    " They are called timezones Rob.."
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

- SSGXXXVI - The Dirty Thirty Six -
    Unknown Epiphany EKU_11 Jska Frumious_Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Visiting a school also helps you out. I first wanted to go to MICA and University of the Arts but after seeing SCAD's illustration program and campus I felt more at home there. Weird but true. You need to feel like you fit in at a school to properly enjoy it and take alot out of it.

"Is Japan in the future?" Rob ( Co-worker)
    "Wait.. What?" Me
    " They are almost done tommorow and I haven't even started tommorow" Rob
    " They are called timezones Rob.."
    " Oh Yeah" Rob

- SSGXXXVI - The Dirty Thirty Six -
    Unknown Epiphany EKU_11 Jska Frumious_Me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the help

Ive visited MICA and it's been my number 1 since then. I haven't visited any of the other schools so im still curious

and sry i forgot to mention that i planning on majoring in general fine art. but id like to take some design classses, stuff like that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with the others. Go where you feel like you fit in. Which school have you chosen, by the way? I attended Rhode Island School of Design for illustration. It was a very traditional school. I feel like I walked away with a heap of knowledge and direction. The environment there was intense. I could sum up my experience with a life schedule of working, eating, and sleeping. If you planned on focusing on anything else you would flunk out. Gave me quite the working ethic. Real life after school was easy in comparison. I wouldn't trade my education for another looking back. I'm a concept artist and 3D modeller for the game industry. So I guess it worked out. Good luck with your choices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As everyone has said, find the place thats the best fit for you. Visit as many of them as possible. I go to SCAD and will graduate in 6 months. Majoring in Illustration with a minor is Drawing. From the drawing minor I've gotten a pretty solid figure drawing foundation and loads of different media experience from illustration. There are open houses at SCAD every month so come down and check one out if you're interested. There are also two tours of the campus a day, everyday so you dont need to come to one of the SCAD Days. The best thing you can really do is visit places. I've been really successful at SCAD and enjoyed my time here immensely but that doesnt mean that the same will apply to you. Good luck.

Ars Longa, Vita Brevis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i've been in mica my freshman year, so i can give you some insights.
    if you're interested in traditional than you should be fine there, although it depends on the teacher. some of them prefer contemparary fine arts, but some love strictly traditional, old masters and such. you get to do tons of life drawing either way, plus if you're really motivated outside of class life drawing sessions are available. the only downsides to mica are cost and location.
    pm me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went to SCAD, which I would reccommend, but more strongly for some areas than others. Let me know if you'd like more info. Finding a school in a city you like is important, you've got to visit them to get an idea. I liked Savannah, but after 4 years I was ready to move. I have thought about going back someday to teach though.

From what I remember about Cooper Union, it's freaking impossible to get in, but once you do, isn't it free? It used to be that way, not sure if things have changed. If you got in, and it is indeed free, I'd go there in a heartbeat. You could always get a more specific masters degree after that and you'd be in the same place financially.

--------------------------------
    Chris Smallfield
    Head of 3d
    Shape Minds and Moving Images GmbH
    Berlin, Germany

http://www.chrissmallfield.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Harlequin01
    I attended Rhode Island School of Design for illustration. It was a very traditional school. I feel like I walked away with a heap of knowledge and direction. The environment there was intense. I could sum up my experience with a life schedule of working, eating, and sleeping. If you planned on focusing on anything else you would flunk out. Gave me quite the working ethic. Real life after school was easy in comparison. I wouldn't trade my education for another looking back.
    I'm also a RISD alumni and I couldn't have said it better myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everybody thanks for the replies

I got accepted today to MICA!!!! which is my number one at the moment.

i havent heard back from RISD or SCAD or Cooper so I havent made any decision yet. ALso, since MICA costs 38 000, im going to need to get some serious scholarship action

im still pretty excited!!!!!1

Members who have read this thread: 5