Art: Glass Eyes

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Glass Eyes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Glass Eyes

This might be a stupid question, but can I put glass taxidermy eyes in the oven when I bake my super sculpey model? I'm worried about discolouration. Has anyone tried that before?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome! Thanks Smelly Bug.

And thanks for the tutorials. they're the first things that i read when i found this site and they've been very helpful and inspirational.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would double check the label to make sure that they are glass eyes before buying. There are acrylic eyes out there that look like glass and while they are very pretty they are plastic and I wouldn't trust them not to melt in the oven.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noadi,
    I'm positive mine are glass. I bought them from Tohickan Glass Eyes. They look awesome. But thats a good point for future sets that I might come across. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, glass eyes work quite well baked in a sculpy head. I have a post this month with three 1/6 scale figures, all of which have 4mm glass eyes (though the photos don't do them justice). I'm told by my optometrist that all human eyes are nearly uniform in size at around 24mm, despite differences in head sizes. You can work at the scale you need from that. In the scale I like to work there are few suppilers of hi quality eyes. If you are working with larger scales you'll find an extraordinary selection out there. I prefer G. Schoepfer, Inc. (203-250-7794 in Cheshire, Connecticut) as a supplier. They have a pretty good 4mm eye. Trouble is, you have to insist that the order packer hand select a matched pair - some are better at that than others.

I find that a solid glass eye or even a steel ball bearing permits one to work with the eye lids and muscles without distorting the orb. Many of the glass eyes will be oval, or "paperweight" shaped, which is done for doll artists in larger scales to more accurately duplicate the shape of a real human eye. Schoepfer has some really wonderful eyes, with threaded iris's, that are hard to tell from the real thing. You may be doing animal sculpture, and Schoepfer has a whole line of animal eyes as well.

The one problem I have had is getting the pupils oriented to focus on the same distant point, within a mass of clay, without distorting the surrounding clay eye tissue. I don't know any tricks there except to push, pull, re-sculpt, etc., etc., till it looks right.

Hope this is of some help,

Bing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    David O'Keefe uses acrylic eyes (www.davidokeefe.com) and he has told me of a great method of baking with plastic - you can put the eyes in and bake with a wet (cold water) cottonball on each eye, nearly "sealing" it in (cover the entire exposed area of the eye) and it will not melt. This is a great alternative to sclupting with the eye, gauging it out, then sculpting it back in with a heatgun or hairdryer. It's cheaper than glass, too.

I'm on the verge of trying this stuff... just scared, I guess.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.