E.O.W Round 5: Fungal Tunnel - THE BIG VOTE!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite Fungal Tunnel

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • homeworld

3 4.00%
  • llothcat

0 0%
  • koshime

8 10.67%
  • Mr.Blonde

4 5.33%
  • sketchling

19 25.33%
  • bRØk3n_sPiRiT

0 0%
  • Sinix

12 16.00%
  • PHATandy

0 0%
  • yADAM

3 4.00%
  • rushtoy

2 2.67%
  • hurricane

5 6.67%
  • Farvus

0 0%
  • Hideyoshi

9 12.00%
  • bengonzalez

0 0%
  • Kenny Fuller

0 0%
  • young paddy1

0 0%
  • max1975

1 1.33%
  • JakkaS

9 12.00%
  • Zeitwolf

0 0%
  • cartoonfox

0 0%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

E.O.W Round 5: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC:
    Fungal Tunnel

Deadline For Voting: Sunday 27th November

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

Posting Thread
    some awesome entries guys ^__^

-----------------------------------------------------------------

homeworld
    This old, abandoned, mushroom-infested mine shaft has seen better days.

llothcat
    I was thinking of a slime mold that grew down a tunnel, tossed in some shrooms for color, and tadaaaa! Instant fungus tunnel.

koshime
    "Beyond the arid sea, lies the remains of once ancient creatures...and a vast unherald forest filled with fantastical plants, sporelike in nature"

Mr.Blonde
    As the wanderer approaches his destination, he finds a page from the early chapters of his life standing in his path. The fungi of the infamous Tunnel of Fungi is renowned for it's life saving attributes, as well as it's addictive nature.

sketchling
    "And so, despite the terrible dangers of long-term spore infection, a foolhardy few would return to the surface every year to see the mjongha fungus in full display; though most went to experience a mindless rush and euphoria as the ripe, sun-damaged spores burst inside them."

bRØk3n_sPiRiT
    Fungal Tunnel
    Game setting:
    The Fungal Tunnel is a gateway-dungeon that connects the two main northeastern regions between the mountains. Besides being a conecting point, it is also a mini-dungeon by itself, with hostile monsters, treasures, and quest oportunities. There are also several entrances, some hidden, some not, to other underground areas, and to more extensive dungeons beneath the mountains.
    Location description:
    The Tunnel is abandoned. Several species of mushrooms of all sizes from enourmous to diminute can be found growing on the floor. On the walls, species of lichen crawl the Tunnel's upper surroundings.
    Possible monsters: Kobolds, Trolls, Sentient Fungi
    Other information: some mushrooms and fungi can be picked up. What you can do with them varies, they can be used in potion preparation, sold, cooked, or eaten raw (Flora Knowledge would be advisable, or be equiped with the Fungal Tome).

Sinix
    What's that smell? The recent discovery of a tunnel located deep in the congo has brought about a wave of new fungal discoveries.

PHATandy
    In the harsh jungles of the Feronus island colonies, the creatures known as the 'Fungal hunter' reside within the Dense and thick jungle vegetation. Hiding in the darkness of the 'Fungal tunnels' they wait for prey to hunt and kill to feed their children and protect the eggs. Local tribesman, knights and explorers come from all over the world to prove their worth by bringing home the 4 glowing eyes of the 'Fungal Hunters'.

yADAM
    As the three men stand inside the entrance to the fungal tunnel their thoughts dwell on the advice of their lost guide. His knowledge alone would have seen them through to the end, but the battle against the tunnel guardian was too great for even him. His dying words were hard to distinguish, although they heard enough to question if they should even take another step inside.

The tunnel, wound beneath the roots of the oldest trees, was carved by the guardian itself, a maze of passages, that if placed one after the other would stretch twice around the planet. Certain paths would lead to dead ends after days of travel, others, deeper underground, could be filled with poisonous spores released from mysterious growths.

Their guide hinted at the secrets inside, of explorers who had taken it upon themselves to search for the many rumoured relics. Their inevitable deaths would leave behind a lifeline for future travellers…..

rushtoy
    A deadly contagious disease has broken out and many are left ill. This new strain of disease has left everyone baffled. The only recorded medical information is found in the book of ancient chinese herbal medicine. Having no choice, a team of scientists set out to find this unique fungus.

hurricane
    In the lower areas of a crater on mars, NASA discovered yesterday a tunnel filled with a strange breed of fungus.

Farvus
    This fungal tunnel was created by some eccentric mage for his huge garden. It leads to small glade surrounded by rocks and covered with ivy.

Hideyoshi
    As I walk through this enormous, odorous alien tunnel of fluorescent fungal organisms there is nothing I can do but be attracted by that bright light, that lies ahead of me...

bengonzalez
    Another of the examples of harsh and unusual environment of Terra II are the Fungal tunnels. These have yet to be fully explored due to the poisonous fungus which thrive here. The hazards are too great for a full exploration of the caverns but the medical field believes that here they may find cures to some of the exotic deceases of the planet. here we see the opening to one of the tunnels on the continent state of Verfin.

Kenny Fuller
    A young couple stumbled upon this cave and decided to explore it only to find the weird giant mushrooms?!

young paddy1
    during the late twentieth and early twenty first century the garbage of the world was buried in enormous landfill sites, once capped these sites were albut forgotten about, almost one thousand years later a trio of explorers on a shoestring budget have decided to mount an expedition into the heart of the largest dump on the planet. What they found astonished them...

max1975
    According to legend, the deepest secrets of the universe, and perhaps Paradise, lie hidden within the Great Mushroom Labyrinth of Kr'King. But whether this is true cannot be known, because while many have ventured into the labyrinth, none has ever returned.

JakkaS
    Environment pollution of Planet NewTerra 9 was very high. Cities buildings were almost destroyed because of acid rains and strong heat emission of both suns in this planetary system. Most of metals and plastics used to build any constructers weren’t resistant to new situation. But scientist has found a good material for new buildings - organic material - a kind of “mutated” mushroom. Genetically changed, it could be a raw material for buildings, roads, bridges or tunnels. “Weatherproof, cheap and good to natural environment”.

Zeitwolf
    Near Future. A constant extremely acid rain is falling onto the earth. Mankind live subsurface. Only some tough plants, insekts and fungi manage to grow overground. Fungi - that are the superior life-form now - even grow as high as trees. they filter the acid water with their Mycel. Planting the spores is tunnel like fields is the most usual way of domestication. Also the luminescent lamellae are an atraction to overground tourists at night.

cartoonfox
    A mysterious fungus leads into a dark cave...

Last edited by Red_Rook; November 20th, 2005 at 02:34 PM.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's hard. no piece is sticking out...

I like JakkaS' for he had the same acid rain idea like me... -_-

hurricane's is also nice. Life on Mars. XD

But my vote goes to Hide for the I-form description and panorama pic...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for sketchling, because the view appealed to me the most.
    The pieces of Sinix, JakkaS, hurricane and koshime were also nice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great entries!!
    my favourites are: Koshime, sketchling, mr.Blonde, homeworld, hurricane, youngpaddy1 and JakkaS

my vote goes to JakkaS because i really like the different approach, he sticked to the topic and its really beautiful

koshime, your colors are getting so nice!

- Miau

<<<sketchbook >>>
    <<<gallery >>>>>>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real sorry about this one guys, ive been busy and i dont get to check CA.org much so i never got around to finishing mine. If i do finish it(soon anyways) ill replace it so you can see how it was uspposed to be....

Anyways,m i went with Hideyoshi, i thought i was real absract and stuff, colours are cool to. Hurricans, Sinix's and Sketchlings stood out aswell.

Nice stuff guys.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard choice between JakkaS and sketchling. I went with sketchling in the end, because I really like the composition and the mushrooms. The concept description is excellent, very funny, and makes me want to know more about the story. Very cool.
    Also I thought it was pretty original that the tunnel is vertical instead of horizontal.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hate to just go with the crowd, but I'm gonna have to vote for sketchling. Those are just the prettiest mushrooms, especially in the way the light kind of passes through them.

Also wanna mention JakkaS, for cleverly showing a tunnel from the outside, and Sinix, for painting a place I'd like to visit.

Nice work all around I thought.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Went with Sketchling.. the color control in that piece can't be denied.

Also loving blonde, koshi, home, hurri, hide, ahh.. alot of good stuff this round actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Hideyoshi, but if not I would have voted for rushtoy. Those are my favorites.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx everyone who gave props to me or voted for my entry!
    some random c&c:

homeworld: I really dig the angle and the composition! Nice colours and textures! One of my faves!

koshime: nice one! Rich and varied colour palette! I would have loved to see the image extended to the left though, in order to balance the pic a lil' more.

Mr. Blonde: you were a bit lazy on designing out and defining the shapes I think.... Colors and mood are conveyed well nontheless!

Sketchling: great translucency, as mentioned already. I dig the composition, but still, I think it became too dark in the foreground.

Sinix: great stuff as usual! But again, widening this image to one side would have led to a better composition imho.

Phatandy: too bad, you couldn't quite finish your image. I like the variation of forms! Good job!

hurricane: looks a bit unfinished, but the lighting is cool! Those fungi could have used a bit more work ;-)

max1975: there barely seems to be a point of interest that would grab the viewer's attention. Composition needs work. I think you concentrated too much on rendering out the fungi.

JakkaS: nice idea! Colors work fine, but the perspective/angle is a bit weak. Depth is working fine, but you could have shown one of the tunnels from a slightly angled view imo.

Zeitwolf: o_Ô Using cyphers on the fungi, huh? I thought you didn't like that in my pics! :-P Nice contrast work! thx for the vote!

Gotta still think about whom I give my vote to...

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really tough one. Lots of good entries, but my decision came down to Koshime, Sketchling, and JakkaS. All three were strong, but in the end I went for Koshime for the interesting composition and strong color choices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hideyoshi
    Zeitwolf: o_Ô Using cyphers on the fungi, huh? I thought you didn't like that in my pics! :-P Nice contrast work! thx for the vote!

Hum, and I thought I never said something about not liking the numbers...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for yADAM. I thought his piece was really beautiful and I loved his idea.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Hideyoshi. Nice colours and texture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for JakkaS, for taking an interesting approach to the concept while still making a very beautiful piece. Would have liked to have seen a wider range of values though, to really make things pop.

Hideyoshi was a close second for me.. really enjoyed the organic design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, great work everyone!
    My favourites are: homeworld, llothcat, koshime, Mr.Blonde, sketchling, rushtoy, hurricane, Hideyoshi, JakkaS, and Zeitwolf. It was a tough decision, but in the end I settled with JakkaS for the kool tunnels, wish I had thought of that...hehe

Paint just jumps out at me, even the digital stuff!?
    www.fullerillustration.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for hurricane cause I really liked the composition and the sence of a story in it. I could imagine myself there.

I also Really liked the entries by :
    koshime (some selective cropping might have made a more focused composition perhaps)

Mr.Blonde (also a little unfocused in composition, but awsome mood )

PHATandy (I really like the mushrooms you made... they are good and have some thought in them. Im not sure about the colours though. In fact desaturate it and I think it works better as an image. The tonal aspect of an image is by far the most important aspect i think so yer well on yer way. )

JakkaS (Classy... Really like yer solution to the problem. Also really like your colour scheme. Simple and very effective... and just the right amount of creepy!!!!)

cartoonfox (Simple, effective...(perhaps a teensie bit lazy) doubt ya had much time to do it though, so you used clever composition (intersecting lines by any chance... ) to do the work for ya doesnt always work, but hey, interesting image!!! . And no tentecles. In fact, I think this is the first environ iv seen ya do!!!! Keep em coming)

"Go on man, FEED THE PAPER!!!" - Bjorn Hurri
    ------------------------------------------------------
    My Blog (actually updated!)
    My Website
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't vote, but this was a tough one. Everyone put out very good stuff, and each had a very cool... feeling to them.

My favorite would be JakkaS, because the concept was quite original, and the submission was wonderfully abstract-looking...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for comments and votes!
    It was my first environment ever! I am not so good in this kind of drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 1