Art: update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05

well it has been a month and a half since i got to the school. Right now im working on my fourth bargue drawing..
    all i can say is that i love this place..my eye has gotten a lot better.. next week i will post pictures of my three bargues finished and some tonal sketches i did..each drawing teaches a lesson. the bargues took me a while i even I had to redo ariadne (i rushed through the drawing) cause it sucked hehe. Also my own plein air paintings which i do for fun have improved a lot (the views around here are beautiful i think overall is a great town if you really want to focus and learn the classical ways,hehe there are not many distractions around here) my own sketch studies are improving too as well as my figure drawings (which are done once a week with portrait drawings here)...
    I just feel im really learning even though is tough! Mr. Mims art lectures are awesome (i gotten to see artists i never seen before), he teaches anatomy too (he was a student of Beverly Hale) so he knows his stuff, all around the exelency of what is produced here and the respect and professionalism emphasized are what i like. I also get to see the advanced students work which i will do some day. Im learning to be more orderly thats for sure .The good thing is that Jeffrey is there an his critiques are always what i need, he has big plans for the school to get it to the level of the french academy which sounds exiting. He doesnot limit to one method he is always pushing himself and us...well i'll post pics next week so tell me what you guys think ...

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awww, I was hoping for the pics of your work! I'm glad your having a productive time. It seems Mr. Mims' knows a LOT.

Ey, how much is the tuition? I've been interested for a long while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm i think the tuition will go for 1800 for winter next year. go to the site for more info www.mimsstudios.com the administrator Abigail will answer your questions she is very nice. as for Mr. Mims yeah trust me he KNOWS a lot, he studied in europe (england and italy mostly)..he knows the big guys in florence..(the methods of teaching ,etc) i think he even studied with pietro annigonni like all the big guys ,..but im not sure. When i first enter his studio..you just "feel" the otherworldliness of the work..hehe i dont know how to explain it..yeah i will take pics this weekend. hey patzon i see your latest sketches your improving a lot man..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember your thread ages ago about going to the atelier, I'm at one myself, I reckon you learn so much more than you would if you attended normal art school, much faster too

Take a look at greatness
    SSG#10 is your party host
    I'm the standard of greatness and I'm your new hero, baby~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too was lured here expecting pictures. However its great to hear its going soo well for you Mim's atelier lookes fantastic I can not wait to get an even greater look at it through your work there. I will definately try and keep up with this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

well guys here are many pics

these are drawings from the model, and portrait drawings at school, my three bargues (im really proud of those!! took me many many hours , i never done drawings this long before)and some random stuff done on my own
    i selected the best he he:
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05this is the model at the school ,she is too pretty to draw hehe
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05a 20 min pose , the model is very fit, good for anatomy study
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05a quick head study of the same male model
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05a block in in shadow shapes..i try to think of this constantly as i draw, cheking angles and shadow shapes..
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05this is the weymouth studio..where advanced students study natural light and from the model..i just painted in 3 hours to have fun..the pic is kinda of dark
    another plein air..on my own...
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05painted a still life in my apartment hmm i was experimenting with glazing on top of a grisaille...
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05a quick selfportrait
    a plein air ..souther pines has beautiful places to paint..at least my eye is getting better..
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05one of the tonal sketches we do here with gouche..the study of the masters and greek sculptures is central focus here
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05 done from the model about 2 hours ,is with watercolor..2nd time i do a portrait with it and you can tell is not my medium
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05just experimenting with black ink and white pastel..
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05another comp study..this are done sight size and critiqued
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05tree study using three colors..hmm painting outside is fun..but now cold is coming
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 0520 min studies of features
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05my first bargue!
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05long pose , two sessions of two hours each..i might fine tune it on the following week but im happy..these drawings are not formally critiqued..and is not sight size..
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05this is my 3rd bargue..lots of work ..they are done sight size ..no tools or plumblines..you might use the mirror to check..but it is largely critiqued..so this is my best so far ..im proud of it.
    update on my atelier progress at Mims studios..Nov 19, 05this was the second bargue..i rushed through it the first time..so i had to redo it..yuck..but it turned out better
    this is about it..i have more images mostly sketches which if you wanna peek go to my site hehe..right now im working on my 4th bargue..the scale is bigger..i think i got two more left or one im not sure..after that i start the color studies..which i wanna do..apparently there is a system behind it..and then i will start my first cast drawing..but im not sure when hehe..hope you enjoy the show..till next update..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW, you've been productive! you've been there about a month and half! I'm really impressed and inspired, Love the bargue drawings I just finshed my first (check my sketchbook) and your's kicks my but! I also love your plein air oil sketches! they rock, Your life drawings looking nice, Portraits nice your male head looks a little rushed or not as precise. I'm just in my second week at my atelier and you already got me lite a fire under me! Like i said i love the casts especially the second to last! awesome! The only thing I can think of to critique is I wish you'd erase your construction sight sized mesurement lines better I can still see them rather clearly in these photos and they clutter up those beautiful bargue drawings! Well I'll definately be keeping an eye on you!
    cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vctr: thanks the male head was probably done in 10 min..hehe..i just wanted to do it freely so i could not finished it that tight..the bargues well the lines are hard to erase by that stage...hehe trust me lots of corrections.. on my new bargue im seeing those lines on my head..and the paper is a bit nicer too..keep drawing..later..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your watercolor portrait is actually my fav out of all of them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WHAT!??? I can't load all your pics!!!! ARGHHH hehe

Anyway I just went to your site instead. I saw the really cool bargues you did! Good job! But I can't wait for your later efforts cuz you'll improve a lot by then!

As for some advice, just keep on focusing on the contours of your subject. Just like what you did with those Bargues.

Later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i too like the watercolor face you did. That was a happy mistake hehe. your makeing strong improvment. Keep it going !

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.