The Coral Dress / Illustration project [C&C welcome]
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Coral Dress / Illustration project [C&C welcome]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Coral Dress / Illustration project [C&C welcome]

Hi everyone! I'm on my last project in my illustration-1 class, last time you were very helpfull in the evolution of my bestiary so i'll do this again from the start. Right now i'm more about sketching thumbnails and finding different concept to presents. I have 2 illustrations to push final. They will accompany a literature article in a magazine. The theme is a bit complex and I'm voluntarily not explaining it since my illustration need to speak by themselves.

Thanks a lot in advances for your advices!

I have only this sketch for now, but this will evolve during the next weeks.
    As the Coral dress is finished, the metamorphosis occurs and her spirit goes free.

Last edited by [jbfilion]; December 4th, 2005 at 12:48 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice pic, for a start ! Hi, JB ! I'm glad to see new pics from ya ! Well, I think that you can made a better transition beetween the body and her "spirit-go-away" thing. Make it disapear, but show a bit more the body. If it's call "Coral Dress", d'ya count made it in that pattern ? Not only texture, but also shapes. It's just a question. Also, be carefull with the glow area, made it stronger (et moins étendu !). My english sucks, today ! So that's all for now, but be sure I'll come back later !
    Cheers, dude !

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Julien! I was hoping for you to coach me on this project, and 15min. after I post you're there to reply haha! Thanks a lot for those first crits. I'll consider everything. The idea of transition is good and it will force myself to push anatomy. The Coral Dress is only for the color (Orange/Pink), so no marine design for this one If push this final, the render and lights will be of course more accurate / with your help during rendering (but I note your comment)
    THANKS ET A++

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 231 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think the metamorphosis of the woman would be more apparent if there was still some left of her.
    maybe a leg.
    that way it would look as if there WAS a woman,
    and she is in the process of dissappearing, top to bottom.

otherwise, it just looks like a magical dress.

the composition and colors are looking good.

- Dan Dos Santos
    www.dandossantos.com

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Coral in an orangey pink, not a magenta.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the dress.

Her head (or where it would be) kind of reminds me of an exploding pinata. One that's full of spring-snakes, streamers and confetti. I would try for a less explosive look. It vaguely disturbs me right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow many comments!

DSillustration Thanks! This is a good idea, I'm wondering if I can suggest the body only by adding a falling high hell shoe. Not that i'm lazy but I want the piece to be more subtle and intriging than storytelling. (Don't want to spoil or weaken the text). Anyway I'll find something Thank you
    Elwell Hehe you're right, it will be corrected Thanks for helping
    IgG Now that i'm looking at it I see the pinata thing! I'll do something more light and spiritual.

Everything is very helpfull to me. Keep commenting and thank you all!
    I've started rendering the belt. Vectors!! Always loved it (and it's the only medium I really control for now) I must be carefull cause I don't want it to look like disney or such, but I want to keep it simple (in someway like gezfry style).

Last edited by [jbfilion]; November 20th, 2005 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the knitting pins' placement a lot better in your newer one. Keep the sketches coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Advanced sketching / Rendering. I really like the feeling and subject but I feel something is really wrong with the colors. Any idea why and what could help? Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The blue looks good. You might want to pump up the intensity of the coral color just a bit.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Elwell. I changed the colors angain, since the title is the coral dress I tryed to put more importance to it in the color scheme. I must stop changing colors and start rendering more Anyway here's the new work :

Some steps futhers :

A new concept :

Started rendering a bit :

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the concept is great, and the update is hot! wish i could make out what your notes are saying, but its wonderful nonetheless

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice concept.
    Building up to be real cool!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent ! I love the way you progress here ! As always, you're not afraid to re-do stuff again and again ! What's the next step, dude ?

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you guys!

I'm currently trying to finish this one, once again must work on colors :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man ! Good progress with the background, but be carefull with the shape of the right tree, it's quite confusing. The grass need some work, too ! Ray lights looks fine... for now. But I'm sure you'll surprise me (in a good way) with your next step-as always !

[French mode on: Bon concernant l'herbe, j'ai l'impression que tu n'utilises qu'une teinte et que tu "crames" le tout avec ta lumière. C'est plutôt correct. Mais l'un des rares trucs que je connais de la peinture "classique" est que plus tu t'éloignes de ton point de fuite, plus les teintes s'éclaircissent. Avec ta source de lumière, c'est plus dur à appliquer, mais essaie de trouver quelque chose avec les teintes ET le rendu de l'herbe. French mode off]

Cheers, man ! See ya soon !
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Julien! Does the right tree still confuse you with some lights (if yes i'll try something else) I pushed the contrast and the textures. Added some wool on the ground/roots. I think you're so right about the grass thing, I don't really know how to correct this So here's the new step

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no post, I think this one is finished, what do you think of it? Thanks for your comments, i'm working the other one right on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea ! It's better now you remove the right tree (I was more disturb by the shape and the way it's interact with the whole composition than the question of light or texture !). Now it's time to include your character to see if it's work. The dark line seems cool in a graphic way, but keep that kind of "little-graphic-extra" for the end... Whole composition first ! (Je ferais bien de garder ce genre de commentaire en tête pour mon travail, hum !).
    Glad to see that you still work hard ! It will pay, for sure !
    Cheers, JB ! See ya soon !
    J.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alday : Thanks Julien for your support & comments! (By the way i'm not seing new stuff your in your sketchbook, everything is all right for you?)

Everyone : I was wondering what would you think about the last illustration as a final piece. The teacher asked me to not include characters and to work only the atmosphere of the night, i'm still confuse about this. What do you think of it?

I'm still working the vectors elements of this other one (rendering in vector is looooong). Someone made me a remark about the fact that the falling effect was not what it should be... In my mind, she's slowly climbing up. How could I make it clearer in the illustration that she's not falling? Thanks a lot, sorry for my bad english

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by [jbfilion]
    Everyone : I was wondering what would you think about the last illustration as a final piece. The teacher asked me to not include characters and to work only the atmosphere of the night, i'm still confuse about this. What do you think of it?
    Hi man ! You'll probably think that I'm crazy but in my opinion, it will be probably good if you work on the two pieces ! Keep the first one (without background) as a big-complete character/clothes studie (concept art, quoi !). And then, the one with the background. You'll probably see that you can't cut and paste ("coller", je suis bon, là ?), cuz the two atmosfear are too distinct. But it will be a good way to work at it as concept. 1-Design pushed really far. 2- The concept in situation. Okay, now, the same in french !

[Je suis pas certain de moi, cela dépend du temps que tu peux y accorder, de ton envie, ect... Donc, sans vouloir jouer au coach, je pense que tu devrais pousser au plus loin l'illustration de la robe, son traitement, les lumières, le design, ect... avec ce ton neutre en arrière plan, tu es déjà trés bien parti ! Puis, travaille ton second projet non pas seulement en tant que finallité (car il faut aussi que tu termine ton design !), mais comme la mise en situation de ton concept. Là, ne te contente pas de copier/coller ton design précédent, car tu verras qu'il jurera avec ton decor, mais garde-le en tête. Il te faudra pobablement changer légèrement ta posture, faire attention aux teintes. Ton illustration donnera plus l'impression d'être faite d'un bloc. Je te dis ça car je sais que tu es un bosseur, je garde toujours en tête ton travail sur le bestiaire. C'est quelque chose que j'ai fait souvent par le passé et j'ai appris plein de truc ! De mon côté ça va, je t'envois un PM tout de suite !]

Cheers, bro ! Keep working !
    Julien.

Julien ALDAY

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Julien.

I'm still working on this one, can't decide about colors. I like the blue one since it's going to be printed as editorial illustration, I think it will throw nice colors in the magazine, but the sepia one is nice too.. The arm still need some work I know Call me lazy or not, I think the bottom part of the dress should not be too detailed since it's not about it, I'm thinking about leaving it simple as this. Crits welcome, be hard! Thanks

Last edited by [jbfilion]; December 4th, 2005 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one is near final I guess... It is RIDICULOUS how many times I changed colors I'm so used to traditionnal media where I must live with my paper and inks colors, now every possibilities are open, and it confuse me to a point where I believe computer arts is not easier then traditional.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow. the last rendering is pro. kudos.

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.