I finally decided to go to art school(AIC)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I finally decided to go to art school(AIC)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I finally decided to go to art school(AIC)

hi ive been contemplating going here ever since ive been out of hs. I finally decided that i need to just go and at least see what it its all about. Im starting in jan, the 9th i believe. If anyone goes here i would appreciate your opinion on the school. My names kevin hope to see ya in january. see ya.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Everlastingboost
    hi ive been contemplating going here ever since ive been out of hs. I finally decided that i need to just go and at least see what it its all about. Im starting in jan, the 9th i believe. If anyone goes here i would appreciate your opinion on the school. My names kevin hope to see ya in january. see ya.
    Hey, worst case scenario is you go and hate it. But the only way to know is to actually experience it. The flip side is that it could really open your eyes, awaken some deep down passion and you end up being a phenom!

There isn't a perfect school for everyone- if there was we all would've attended it. In the mean time, congrats on taking the first brave steps. Alas I have no knowledge of the school you plan on attending but good wishes nevertheless.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well looks like i might not be able to go afterall. My finacial aid isnt enough, even with my student loans. My total costs are like 19k but i only have to pay 8k out of my pocket LOL!!!!!!!!!!! WTF, they want that 8k in 9months time(full school yr). Is there any other art schools located in denver that arent as expensive. If anyone has any help on this matter i would really appreciate it. thanks guys,
    kevin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well looks like i might not be able to go afterall. My finacial aid isnt enough, even with my student loans. My total costs are like 19k but i only have to pay 8k out of my pocket LOL!!!!!!!!!!! WTF, they want that 8k in 9months time(full school yr). Is there any other art schools located in denver that arent as expensive. If anyone has any help on this matter i would really appreciate it. thanks guys,
    kevin.

Check with the local community college in the mean time and see if you can take some of the classes there. Just make sure that they can transfer over when you do re-apply. Work as much as you can now and save, save, save...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i work at best buy lol. Theres no way in hell i can get 8k in 9 months wtf why do they have to be so expensive. Ive looked at community college but i really dont see the point. I mean they have some good classes but nothing geared toward a career in what i want to do. Maybe ill just work at best buy till im 40 and then kill myself YAY(jke).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dave means that you should take courses at a community college (IE math, science, english, basic drawing...) and transfer those to a private art school later once you've gotten enough money. I took two years of courses at a university first and saved myself 40K.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i work at best buy lol. Theres no way in hell i can get 8k in 9 months wtf why do they have to be so expensive. Ive looked at community college but i really dont see the point. I mean they have some good classes but nothing geared toward a career in what i want to do. Maybe ill just work at best buy till im 40 and then kill myself YAY(jke).
    Hmmm, Best Buy huh? I've got two of my better students who work there as well and they're kicking ass in our classes as well. And while they're at Best Buy, they're taking FULL advantage of that employee discount and getting themselves hooked up with electronic widgets.

Your thing is you want to graduate NOW. You want all the money to pay for your education NOW. You want to be in the business NOW.

Calm it down a bit. Like the old saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day". Read what Mirana said in clarifying my suggestion. Solve the problems one step at a time. Have some patience there, grasshopper. Just because you can't go full throttle just yet, it just means you have to be somewhat creative in getting to that destination (who says creativity is just on a canvas?). Go to the school you want to go to and find out what you can take at the CC and bring back.

Like Mirana did, I took a summer's worth of academics as well, saved a boatload of monye there and still had time to make money when I was there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AIC is quite expensive (I live in Denver too), check into RMCAD instead, they're cheaper, and they're not part of the art institute chain ;-) They're on Colfax and Pierce right behind Casa Bonita.

As far as RMCAD and community college goes if you decide to go there, they pretty much only transfer studio art classes and a couple of the humanities classes, english, and I think 4 science credits. Still, it might save you some money if you took a semester or two of the above mentioned classes. Currently I'm at RRCC, and I just talked to RMCAD's rep about this last week. If you do decide to go the community college route and end up at RRCC, take astronomy with Jim Beaber for science (it's easy and really fun), and Laura Zeeman is a really good geography teacher (for humanities). Kleinfield and Urban are decent English teachers. I'm not too familiar with RRCC's art department, all I've taken is one drawing class this semester. Avoid the graphic design department at all costs, they SUCK and nothing really transfers (I wasted a lot of time there, grr). Photography might transfer (I forget what the RMCAD rep said), Fulks for digital photography and Troudt for film are good.

As for me, it's my last semester at RRCC, yay! I'm either going to RMCAD or KCAI in the fall, hurrah (I'm hoping KCAI, cause I need to go away)!

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive been contemplating going to RRCC as well as RMCAD. What is KCAI? Im just really depressed about AIC being so expensive. I guess i should look into schooling at RMCAD. I guess i should investigate some more about RMCAD. Ive heard of them before, anyone on here going there?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kansas City Art Institute (not affliated with the chain colleges) - I'm super excited about going!

Here's a list of RMCAD's drop-in tour dates, I went on one the other week and you do get a good feel of the school.

Wednesday, December 7, 3:00 pm
    Friday, December 16, 11:00 am
    Wednesday, January 4, 3:00 pm
    Friday, January 20, 11:00 am
    Wednesday, February 1, 3:00 pm

And they're having an open house (bring your portfolio!) on February 11th I believe, and a portfolio review on Feb 16th for a bunch of schools in the area.

Oh and before I forget, here's their website: www.rmcad.edu

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks i might have to go and check it out. I dont have a portfolio lol. It was stolen about 2yrs ago. I guess its time to come up with some new pieces eh?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks i might have to go and check it out. I dont have a portfolio lol. It was stolen about 2yrs ago. I guess its time to come up with some new pieces eh?

I've learned it's ALWAYS time to come up with a new portfolio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Icelandic Norm
    I've learned it's ALWAYS time to come up with a new portfolio!
    I agree 110%! In the real world, you never know when a client just might want to see a particular aspect of your portfolio. It's best to always be working on pieces even if they're just for your own portfolio.

(Now if I can only manage some free time of my own)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.