Gate

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gate

I currently honing my enviroments, and I am kind of stuck. This is the latest tryout, inspired by the Cthulhu-work by Simon. And I simply don't know where to go with it.

Gate
    It's mixed media, I started out with water colours, then went over it digitally.

Also, if someone know they have a GOOD monitor, they're free to mention if the piece is simply to dark/light/whatever. I fear mine is quite poor when it comes to accurate displaying.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello,

I think this is looking pretty good so far. I especially like the steps.

One thing you might want to consider is what is behind that gate.
    Because of the perspective you have chosen we should be seeing something more behind there--some dirt, some grass, or the start of a path, and (further off in the distance) the horizon.

It all seems to stop so abruptly right now.
    You can make everything fade off into the mist if you want, but I think things should at least be hinted at.

Your piece looks ok on my monitor, but I noticed rasada made this helpful thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55012

I haven't tried it myself yet, but it might be useful to you.

best,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think it looks good so far, tho you may enhance the feel of the piece by darkening it a bit more and adding some fog and stuff (considering it is ctulhu inspired).

you may also want to check the perspective of the columns and the place where the walls meet the ground.

anyway, nice work so far

Last edited by endercoskun; November 18th, 2005 at 08:24 AM.
    ender coşkun
    my old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    emily and ender: Cheers! You pointed out things that completely eluded me. When I stare myself blind on something, I stare myself blind to the bone. This new version tackles the absence of enviroment behind the bars and some perspective issues. I also took on the mist again, something I threw out in the first piece. Also, some color touchups and detail rendering.

Gate
    I am rather pleased with it now, but I also have ceased to see anything at all. Blind again.

Looks nice but there seems to be someting missing maybe if you offset the gate so it is'nt right in the centre it might help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Mitze is spot-on. I love the lost edges in the lower corners and the crickety trees in the upper corners, but the fact that the general effect is lateral symmetry (the same thing is happening on both sides), it removes a lot of the interest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mitze n dogfood; Cheers! I think I'll just crop away the left side up to the brighter spot in the wall. It's that part that does not contribute in anyway.

Thanks for the input, people!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not goot with environments...in fact I suck at them. But, I'll share what I think of yours.

The steps are a little crooked but I like them that way. It gives your art a feeling of weirdness...like if I were there in reality I would think twice about going up those stares. I love the detail on them.

The gate...I agree that they would look sweeter if they were crooked and maybe dented in a couple of the bars a little to make it look like someone or something used heavy force to bust them open. I love the gate's shadows in the fog. Maybe a shadow of something unidentifiable lurking behind that wall somewhere...just the shadow so that you don't give out too much about the secrets behind those gates.

I love the fog in the front and the little hints of life before reaching the steps. It's like the rest of the world knows better then to go anywhere past those steps. However, shadows coming from the wall would be sweet...maybe in the same angle as the shadows the gate is casting.

In the distance, maybe some faint hints of more dead trees as they fade off the farther you look. Oh, and maybe a couple of dead leaves hanging off some of the branches...but only a couple.

More details on the walls such as cracks, chunks missing, dead vines that once grew green and lively.

Okay...that's all I got. Your art has inspired me to practice on my environments. Thanks.

www.npagan.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your execution is really nice, and I think all of the crits so far have been spot on. The problem this piece has is mainly with composition. The viewer's eye moves straight to the gate, through it and stops (which is why, I think, Emily had you add more going on, in the distance) Anything that will slow down the viewer's eye and lead it more slowly through the composition, will help. Moving the gate farther to the left or right (rather than so centered), adding a winding path and close trees in the foreground, or even more going on in the distance (something the viewer's eye can linger over and explore) all could help. If you haven't seen it already (I found it through CA.ORG's WIKI) Wet Canvas has a really great article on composition, that might help you understand this issue better: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/index.php

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.