Boycott Sony?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Boycott Sony?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Boycott Sony?

Interesting Article on Wired about Sony's anti-piracy software.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is truly upsetting.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really one to jump onto the boycott bandwagons, but this, along with this http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...ic_id=23921409 and this http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004145.php (<---SCARY) is enough to make me boycott the fuckers.

Course, I don't think I've bought any Sony products retail in the last... ever, but I'll make sure not to in the future.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats nuts. What a crock of shit...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    After reading this I feel like Mr. Furious from Mystery Men clawing at a hood ornament of a bad guys car.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember in the TMNT movie when April asked one of the Ninjas "What? Am I behind on my Sony payments. -Funny Stuff.

GoodTimes GoodTimes..

-JtJ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dfacto
    I'm not really one to jump onto the boycott bandwagons, but this, along with this http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...ic_id=23921409 and this http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004145.php (<---SCARY) is enough to make me boycott the fuckers.
    And now i feel sick.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some good news regarding the PS3. According to this website, Sony has debunked the rumor that games will only be playable on one machine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hard and abussive punch in the guts for the "users".

Tehy went to an extreme that will make them lose money, but you cant forget that you dont do things becuase you feel the need to be evil. Piracy is on its peek, is not a nice bussiness either.

Extremes are bad either way, but those are the way to balance, just lets see what happens, this matter is already seen as "not tolerable" to ussers, so they will be forced to change it to a half point.

Is the way of almost every organization Vs organization event. Not strange at all, or new for that matter.

Now boycott?, it wont help much, with the exeption of causing trouble to sony´s lower employees and artists, the COs can always stay in home, crying becuase they cant buy a new boat this month.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    this matter is already seen as "not tolerable" to ussers, so they will be forced to change it to a half point.
    I think "not tolerable" is an extreme understatement. Would you buy something from a corporation that rewards you for buying legit music by treating you like a criminal? "Not Tolerable" doesn't even start to explain what I'm feeling for the past 2 weeks.

Now boycott?, it wont help much, with the exeption of causing trouble to sony´s lower employees and artists, the COs can always stay in home, crying becuase they cant buy a new boat this month.
    Not that I disagree on that point, but the truth is Sony needs more than boycotting. Consumers are smart enough to know what's going on these days and if they can't change their attitude to follow the direction of how things are being sold, downloaded, exchanged on P2P programs, then they'll always be facing problems of content theft.

To be honest, they just need to fucking wake up and change their perspectives on how to earn MY HARD EARNED MONEY. You cannot go soft on a corporation that does what it wants with consumers and are unrepentant and provided inadequate actions to allow the consumers to remove the software. You cannot forget the consumers are the ones paying for their new boat. If anything consumers should feel more empowered but we're so fucking scared we won't get our PS3 if we screw them over.

Its not just the consumers that are being screwed over. They claim to "protect the IP of their artistes" but once the news got out, Van Zant CDs are among the worst rated in Amazon.com. They're screwing their own artistes over and there's no way they'll admit to it.

I've never downloaded music illegally, I always buy my CDs and I advise my friends to do the same when I hear they download illegally. But after this incident 2 weeks ago, I'm having 2nd thoughts about it. I'll probably cool down in a while but as such, not everyone recovers from a knee jerk action and what Sony did was unforgivable on so many fronts. From breach of trust with consumers....to harming the already sluggish music industry in general.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

This issue sounds pretty funky especially in the instance of the PS3. It really sounds like competeing companies are trying to smash on Sony for the sake of market. I didn't think so until I read the recommended labels in the article which are Columbia and Epic. Just two lables. Why wouldn't they promote other labels?
    The credibility of this article is weak and so is the argument.
    But I find that the real issue here is invasion of privacy. I don't appreciate a program that relays private information from my computer and sends it somewhere to be judged. So until I see these issues myself I can not say whether or not it would effect my decision to buy their product.
    Besides, the issue is geared toward music CDs, mostly, not so much as games. How does this effect my decision in buying game products?
    Well here it is. Coding of games is just a rumor. There is no way Sony could use coding in the way that the "gamespot" article posted. Its too troublesome to make profit; seeing that rentals are so popular. How would that work. There is no way that Sony could use such coding. Just think about it for a sec and relize that most of this info is just a bunch of B.S.

Last edited by britt; November 16th, 2005 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sony will fail miserably in a few years, if they do what is supposedly rumored. It hurts them to an incredibly extent, not only aggravating their consumer base but pushing them to the alternatives.
    If they are minimally smart, the DRM will not be implemented.

DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by britt
    This issue sounds pretty funky especially in the instance of the PS3. It really sounds like competeing companies are trying to smash on Sony for the sake of market. I didn't think so until I read the recommended labels in the article which are Columbia and Epic. Just two lables. Why wouldn't they promote other labels?
    The credibility of these articles are weak and so are the arguments.
    But I find that the real issue here is invasion of privacy. I don't appreciate a program that relays private information from my computer and sends it somewhere to be judged. These articles are not very credible... So until I see these issues myself I can not say whether or not it would effect my decision to buy their product.
    Besides, the issue is geared toward music CDs, mostly, not so much as games. How does this effect my decision in buying game products?
    Well here it is. Coding of games is just a rumor. There is no way Sony could use coding in the way that the "gamespot" article posted. Its too troublesome to make profit; seeing that rentals are so popular. How would that work. There is no way that Sony could use such coding. Just think about it for a sec and relize that most of this info is just a bunch of B.S.
    What the hell are you talking about?

A. The rootkit malware on Sony's cds is real.
    B. It opens security holes on your computer you could drive a continent through.
    C. So does the so called "patch". In fact, people think its worse.
    D. In the "gamespot" article (love the quotes... is it gamespot fictional or something?) you might have noticed it mentioned a patent for the technology.
    E. Technology in patents has to work otherwise it is not patentable.
    F. Gamespot acknowledges that the existence of said patent does not mean implementation.

Where is your beef with what has been said? Weak credibility my ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As I already posted, the PS3 rumor has been debunked by Sony. It is FALSE.

Here's another source:

http://joystiq.com/entry/1234000213068073/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brumfield
    As I already posted, the PS3 rumor has been debunked by Sony. It is FALSE.

Here's another source:

http://joystiq.com/entry/1234000213068073/

Which doesn't mean the Gamespot article was any less credible considering it was before the debunk and it was part of their Rumor mill news feature.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    B. It opens security holes on your computer you could drive a continent through.
    That's right. Sony would screw over their own customers by using the cloaking rootkits - which leave a door open to any virus maker to completely destroy your computer without you even being able to fix it (it is undetectable under administrator user and 90% of virus scanners can't even see it) - to make a buck. GG

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wassermelone
    Which doesn't mean the Gamespot article was any less credible considering it was before the debunk and it was part of their Rumor mill news feature.
    No arguments from me on that point.

Originally Posted by wassermelone
    I think you miss understood my message. I meant the "Wired" article was not entirely credible. Maybe I should have made that more clear. That doesn't mean that I don't believe rootkit malware is real....it just means that I don't believe everything they write.
    And, I said that the rumor of "game spot" introduced was simply a rumor which Brumfield proved to be a false rumor.
    I didn't say that the Gamespot article was less credible for stating that rumor.

No beef here...so chill out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I care is how you get rid of it. "Get it off get it off get it off aaaaah!"

Thanks
    Thanked 11,137 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i dont know much about that stuff but sony has been one of our best clients. they are a great studio to work with if you are an artist.

the stuff in this thread is kinda funky though...yikes...at least they are recalling stuff.

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its not SCE though, but Sony BMG. But as a friend on another forum mentioned....even though they're completely different entities within Sony, it tarnishes the entire company's image and lowers credibility.

Yeah at least they're recalling the CDs, though they still need to put up a list of which CDs are affected and where they're distributed to.

I dunno how hard the lawsuits will hit, but I hope they find other means of encouraging more people to buy legit music and all other copyrighted content rather than enforcing it that way. Will be a while before they try it again.

There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An Software writers spot open source in Sony BMG CDs
    Microsoft's anti-virus team said earlier on Tuesday it would add a detection and removal mechanism to rid a PC of the Sony DRM copy-protection software, because it jeopardized the security of Windows computers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wassermelone
    What the hell are you talking about?

C. So does the so called "patch". In fact, people think its worse.
    D. In the "gamespot" article (love the quotes... is it gamespot fictional or something?) you might have noticed it mentioned a patent for the technology.
    E. Technology in patents has to work otherwise it is not patentable.
    F. Gamespot acknowledges that the existence of said patent does not mean implementation.

Where is your beef with what has been said? Weak credibility my ass.

you forget, it phones home, which sony denies, (and they said potentially if it does they arent keeping the information they collect :o ) and hides ANY file with $sys$ prefix, so directory listings will skip it, not jes sony files, so not only does it blow but its really sloppily written. There was already a worm out within a week that exploited this vulnerability. make a file on your desktop apparently, with that prefix, if it dissapears means the rootkit is installed

btw if im repeating what other people or articles have said in this thread sry

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The masses are being screwed to counter the few abusers. That makes people who abuse copyrights extra nutty pieces of shit. But I've got to put Sony on the shit list for actually making this move and will avoid Sony products of all sorts.

That means DVD, Games, TV's and TV programs, VCR and DVD players... the works. I wouldn't buy the very best shoes for cheap from a salesman who spit on me. Sony is spitting on all their good customers (who vastly outweigh the bad ones). It might be hard to avoid them altogether but I will when I'm aware of it.

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Scott Knight
    The masses are being screwed to counter the few abusers. That makes people who abuse copyrights extra nutty pieces of shit. But I've got to put Sony on the shit list for actually making this move and will avoid Sony products of all sorts.

That means DVD, Games, TV's and TV programs, VCR and DVD players... the works. I wouldn't buy the very best shoes for cheap from a salesman who spit on me. Sony is spitting on all their good customers (who vastly outweigh the bad ones). It might be hard to avoid them altogether but I will when I'm aware of it.
    Was the irony here intentional? You're boycotting the entire company because of a few bad employees mistreating the masses because of a few bad customers.

0kelvin

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 0kelvin
    Was the irony here intentional? You're boycotting the entire company because of a few bad employees mistreating the masses because of a few bad customers.

0kelvin
    Are we supposed to buy Sony's bad products, then?
    Ok, suppose we just boycott the CD's--this is the product that has the problem.

But if the CD's have problems, might other of their products have problems as well?

Sony has shown itself to be untrustworthy--this makes me nervous and makes me not want to buy any of their products.

I know that this will hurt Sony's employees who are not at fault for this, but what are we to do?

emily

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's important that people react. Would sony have 'apologized' if no one had reacted, or would it had become a standard business practice? The latter I fear.

To punish corporations, companies or political organizations is tricky business, because who's responsible? Getting caught doing a crime is merely an econonomical inconvenience for a corporate entity, it doesn't have a sense of moral.

Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
    - Ambrose Bierce (1842 - 1914), The Devil's Dictionary

A criminal is a person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation.
    - Howard Scott (1926 - ), Economist

Edit: Apparently you can just tape over some part of the CD to defeat the copy protection (it's in another 'session' on the CD). I wonder if tape will be an illegal anticircumvention tool now...

Last edited by Prometheus|ANJ; November 21st, 2005 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Tape
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya, boycot th entire company or it's worthless. When Sony acknowledges and FIXES the problem, apologises to us and promises not to screw with us again then the boycot ends.

I'll look back into it in a week or so.

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ps3 rumor debunked. And i dont listen to any bands put out through sony. Soo, i guess they are still good in my book.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Texas is seeking civil penalties of $100,000 per violation of the state's Consumer Protection Against Computer Spyware Act, which was enacted earlier this year.
    Apparently they also used some copyrighted code to make the rootkit, and might be facing charges for that.

We got a saying in sweden that I can't translate any good; "Den som i leken ger sig f&#229;r leken t&#229;la."

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.