Sketchbook: Squareyard - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Squareyard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    glikster-thanks, I'll have to adjust leftupper corner still on't, but I like it a lot too

sve-Can't thank you enough for your input here and am sure I am by far not the only one endebted to you. You are awesome, I know you said the very same thing about me some time, but no, it is you of the two of us that deserves a Thank-you the most.
    I will be working on my rendering and my lines, will sure tacke some time though to loosen up old habbits. My teacher liked the portrait too and even "allowed" me to put it into my future portfolio for application at artscool in November. Thus making it to the second picture I had ever done, that my future portfolio contains so far. Such a potfolio is supposed to have about 30 pictures . I could post the other one he "approved" if you wish, but it's real old. Like from 3-4 years ago. Besides, there are also two pictures he liked too, but he said they need to be redone in order to become viewable. You guys don't know em eather but I'll post em as soon as they'll get redone .

Joel-ha, ha....I actualy was listening to the soundtrack of Requiem For A Dream while making it. Love Requiems, have Mozart's on repeat quite often. Strangely they don't make me sad but give me energy and inspiration instead.
    The picture was an assignment and since my teacher diged the drawing itself but disaproved of how I arranged things, specialy concerning colour and intention/ idea, I'll have to redo it. So should you have liked this one, wait for the new, improved version .

All my final exams at scool are over!!!
    YAY!!
    Will still have to go to scool for a couple of month and get grades, but.....
    YAY!!

Yesterday was last one of em. Fortunately it was my artclass and I won't have to worry about bad grades on that one.
    Since they keep the pictures done at the exam for the next 5 years, I took a hasty shot of it. But flashlight distorted it real bad, specialy whitish area on top of center woodhead. The assignment was View Out Of The Window. 3h. Acrylics.

Now...I don't know why I'm posting this cuz I had been drinking and it turned out real bad, but here are some scetches of how me and my buddies went partying to a club yesterday.

Some Jazz I forgot about.and a sub d.

Last edited by blacky; February 17th, 2006 at 01:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Blacky, read about your teacher, sitting here with an open mouth. Two out of all?! OMG! . I don't know what to say. I'm not qualified to say it's a total rubbish, he is, but still it's strange to the most for me. I'm telling you honestly. I was so excited when I suddenly found your book back then. I wanna tell you what my absolute favorites are, which gave that great feeling to me what people obtain, well, applying some other stimulators. I took it from your art. And no, I'm not returning you a favour, nice words, I btw, don't believe them anyway.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...tino/doggy.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...Terrarium3.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...Terrarium2.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...terrarium1.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...atino/akt8.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...atino/a2ba.jpg
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...atino/17f0.jpg
    http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...atino/15c9.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...t/jazzband.jpg

Most of your musicians, your mom's portrait, man in sub, many of your nudes.
    I would include all of this in your portfolio. The first four are the must, in my opinion

Of course, please show me everything that you have. Now hearing about your teacher personality I want to see what he allowed. Damn.

In your new update my favorites are the last two drawings, they look ready to be colored. But they are beautiful anyway. May I ask how long did it take to draw them? Lovely, I can hear the light bit from the drummer (well, he is holding the drum sticks lightly and not to high) and I can hear the energetic trombone. I have to say, please, don't lose your fast lines in searching for the best. I love it in you.

I like the first panting. It's has a feeling, lyrical and I like the illusion of slowly moving cars behind the glass. And the colors are very truthful, I do believe that the road will be this shade of grey in the cold day like this.

I might add that I think it would be better if the sculptures on the foreground had sharper borders than the rest, well, you know to help the eyes to understand the distance. And I don't get what are they made from. Textures are not very definite. But i like the colors and composition very much. And it has a nice, a bit sad mood.

And btw I like the fast sketches from the party too, they carry the information how you start your drawing and from where you start. Heads.

See you, blacky .
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; February 20th, 2006 at 12:17 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blacky, at first I didn't know what to think of that painting of the window, but after looking at it awhile I realized that you provided a sense of depth very well. Those cars almost moved on me! Very successful image. The last two sketches are very nice also, very alive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool linework, a couple of comments about it though.. it seems like you're too shakey and timid with it, putting a lot of wavy curves where a straighter line would be more apropriate.. theres no reason to try to record every lump, as a matter of fact the less you have to leave in the better... its part of what people talk about when they talk about "editing"...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey blacky, what up? The jazz sketches are wicked man. I think its a good point drawing people playing instruments from life, cause usually people draw usual things, someone walking in the park or street, or in a pub.

Keep it up yo!

Each one, teach one. P e a c e

VS

Check out My Sketchbook

Latin & Spanish Group

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies ya all.

sve-I know what you mean. When I first showed him most of my works in November and he'd tell me that the only pic so far suitable for a portfolio was one, I had done 4 years ago.....I was realy shocked too. But by now I realized that the thing is, that he and I perfactly know that I most likely will get accepted at that artscool. He simply wanted my portfolio become the best I could do and thus eventualy one of the best among any other contastants. I realy think he can teach me a lot.Here's a portrait by one of his twin sons (he's 18 ) it got sold for 500$.
    Here is the picture he approved of being implemented into my portfolio to be: Bazar
    And here are two pictures he wanted me to redo, so I could use em too:
    Red Handkerchiev done 5 years ago
    Primadona half a year ago.
    Furthermore he said that putting some of my jazzscetches in there would be a good idea too. The other stuff he wants me yet to do is a mass of quick inkwash or colour scetches of people out in the streets (scenes), scetches at the zoo, of architecture, landscapes, couple of portraits and perhaps what ever interesting I might come with in future.
    He's from St. Petersburg and his twinsons got accepted at the artscool I want to attend, receiving best grades of all contastents (about 700). Having (expansive) private classes with him gives me furthermore the chance to hang out with his sons some time too. I've known em before, and they're hell interesting people. (Recite Puschkin to each other all the time or old latin sayings n such).
    Concerning picture I did for exam, the camera distorted it a lot, it's way easier to read in real life I think. But, yeah, the wooden totem thingies in the foreground came out rather weird and undefined cuz I made em real quick and wanted to make the picture more interesting to look at (contrast to greyish reality behind window n such...)
    Thanks a lot for your comments. I value them a lot.

madplanet-Thanks a lot. I was trying to achieve that sort of depth in the painting as it was part of what I felt was being asked for at the Exams. Makes me glad to hear it shows to you. Thus I can look forward to a good grade more easily now. There's a funny story to the last scetch. I sat down at the sub and started scetching this realy interesting looking guy. Then there was an anouncement that I had to tacke an other sub for some reason. So I ran out and catched the other sub. I was real pissed cuz I hadn't been able to finish scetching this guy. Suddenly a man jumped into the wagon right before the doors closed and walked right past me. I turned around and realized it was the same guy and he was standing there in the exact same possition as in the previous sub. So I could continue right from where I had stopped. (people around me where wondering how I got him down on paper so fast )

Main Loop- Hey man, great crit. Thanks a lot. Will have to watch out for my line economy and quality some more in future. I realy tend to get real shacky at times, out of control and reason so to speak. As if I was in some kind of trance n such.

jtheanswer- I have yet to draw some people in the pub. But hey, reriously I also thinks that those Jazzscetches do me a lot of good. Very glad to hear you like em. Besides....you live in La Palmas, right? You ought have a lot of "models" around too. Think of all the people at the beach for example or those crazy Tourists at the nightclubs. (which I enjoyed a lot whenever staying there.)

All right, 've been sort of lazy recently about anything I've been doing so....
    here's some stuff

studies from book (Bammes)

lunch at scool

dog at my work

subwayscetches

a sp

came up with this for some reason

grippers and hammer, second version (have background yet to do)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweeet updates, Missed alot, Cool sp,lovin it.
    THose fast gestures of the jazz players are looking good. and also most of ur fast gestures are gettin more shape. U just gotta learn specific lines which would set up the basic lines,, the bsci form.

grippers and hammer, YEY. cant wait til the background is done

AMi

¤Sketch FACTORY¤

THe Cookie Factory StuDio
    Ryn
    --
    Project SOle.ca
    ¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blacky, that's a great story and how lucky were you? That's funny how he took the same pose. The guy reading the paper is really good; that's a good sketch. The self-portrait is really cool, it reminds me of something that is found in the beginning of a book. Very dramatic use of color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

‡‡‡‡‡ BoneHeadNation ‡‡‡‡‡

Blacky <> Like your recent works SP especially <> one thing to remember about any instructor is that "even the dullest star sheds some light" and you may quote me on that.

Thanks for feeding the fat monkey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wondeful variety dude. Some really expressive linework on some of the earlier studies as well. Great stuff dude, keep posting.

TUNAFISH SAMMICHES?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, blacky, I closed my mouth and now as calm as cucumber. It's nothing that could be done, your art teacher and I have too different preferences. He probably knows what he's doing, but I like different sides of you. The guy seems to be fascinated with originality and fast talking colors. I appreciate it a lot, but I do the same with much milder effects too, and form is still very important too me. The paintings you kindly showed to me talk through the colors, they are very dynamic. But when you use the same way to express yourself in art, and actually a bit one level way, it's getting monotone too, even with such a bold vivid colors. It's like the modern architecture, skyscrapers, a lot of windows on the huge buildings, very intimidating, but eye recognises the small given to it information very fast and after that it's boring. But look at some old church or Rome ancient history buildings. There are a lot information for eyes and brains in colors, textures, rhythm, composition, bricks, arcs, steps... I hope I'm making sense, not sure about this, though.

In the paintings you showed me I like the Bazar, although it is done in style of primitivism. But it is sincere, so I like it. You probably know about this direction in art. I like the art of Niko Pirosmani, here the link, if you are willing to look at it.
    http://georgiacult.fromru.com/man01.htm

I like the portrait of the twin too, because of the expression of the face, it's yours, right?

In the "Red Handkerchief" I like the perspective, but I'm not so fond of the composition. Seems like it's about separation, and sadness, and long lonely road ahead, not very pleasant one for the guy in black. Colors are worrisome. but.... I don't know. It doesn't look as the one unified composition to me. But what do I know.

The dancing elephant is actually pretty cool, with a perspective and phantasmagorical mood, a bit crazy one. But again the forms are not defined and you're making your viewer's eyes guess what this form is, and this in every object, in every thing, it's a bit too harsh and distracting, and annoying. But I like this painting, it has a story, and just adding some suggestive lines to define form would make it kinder to my eyes. The border to balance is very near, in my opinion. The mood is awesome though. Sorry beforehead for all this crits, it's intruding in creative process, the ugly thing, I'm sorry.

In your new update I like the SP, The dog (! ), two sleeping beauties, the guy with a newspaper, and the boat.
    The last picture, well, i do like the idea all the same, but this careless form drawing, well, it's very distracting from the essence of the picture. The more simplified the drawing the more careful you should be with making it believable and precise, I think. You're removing an information, the rest should be clear then, recognisable. That's what I think. The tube looks very distorted. I focus on recognising it, and ignore the message you want to carry to me through the picture.

The dog is great, a very nice volume and very sweet mood, I just feel its warm breathing, rising and falling tummy, I feel the strong impulse to go and scratch it. I always do that with all dogs. Wonderful gravity in this piece, Blacky, you are really have a sensative, observing eyes and very smart brains, so great.

Sleeping people are nicely caught too, very natural looking.

I like the drawing with boat for variety of lines. it's tasteful, at least for me.

And your portrait is very dreamy. Like a memory.

So thank you very much
    Sveta

Last edited by sve; March 3rd, 2006 at 12:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for all of your replies.
    I'm posting from my home pc which might crash any instant, so I'll post replies tomorrow from work.

I've been to an Rodin exhibition over the Weekend. Here are some studies I did at museum. (coloured watersolluble graphite washed in. ('t was a bad idea to use ink on firts 2 ones samewell)

part of a Jazzpic. i hope to finish this friday

memmory of ironmining in Ukraine

Bathing in Colour II (will have to fix hand some time)

Stillife (acrylics 4.5h)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    blacky---are you about to drop an update on us? i see that you are online as well... doesn't matter... I can definitely come in and add some critique / praise for the lovely art drop you are planning. This is looking really nice, would certainly love to see more portraits like this, if you don't mind.

OK... I think that this is looking really fantastic, though I think that it needs to have some ink treatment and cleaner more mechanical lines to really drive the idea home. The elipse around which this thing is rotating / driving nails into isn't right; using some template to trace them might have saved you some time and frustration. All of your subway studies are really nice, especially sleepy old guy here and my grandfather look very impressive. keep up the fantastic work... will be back soon!

Actually, Ha ha... i posted my reply and then your new update was here! That's so nice that you are getting to see a Rodin exhibition--> I have actually been trying to figure out what i will draw next wednesday night and I think that i'll go study from the Rodin sculpture outdoors here in Atlanta. Thanks for the idea, chump . the memory of iron mining and the bathing II are really impressive... I'm always caught off guard with your stuff... it's so impressive!

joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Replies:

Heroic- hey man, thanks for dropping by again. Nice crit, I feel at times like I'd have to prescetch things more often to get em right in the end. Will have to make an update extra for all the stuff I'd have to actually finaly finish. I mean, I will finish the G. and Hammer pic, but It'll tacke some time til I post it.

madplanet- When I did the last sp, I was simply keeping in mind the things that my artteacher had been talking about recently. After showing it to him he was quite pleased with it too. Will have to make more stuff of the like I guess. I wont be able to neather update nor check anybodies updates for a while as I'm off to Greece (Yay) for 2 weeks. Always a pleasure to have you drop by though.

Mentler- I'm having trouble understanding your quote.....The way I tacke it is, that you thought I wasn't pleased with my instruckor. But actually I couldn't be more pleased with him. I just sound at times like I felt like he was teaching me bull and wouldn't value my work. Well, he's simply a very serious guy who asspats close to never ever. All I hear from him is, do this or that better and this or that is crap. Do it again. .....That's depressing but samewise the best that he could tell me. I'm paying him 20 bucks per 1.5h after all (have to work for 4h for that (crap job)). So he's the brightest star I've got right now. Thanks a lot for leaving your comment in here. I collect em like rare baseballcards

Sirio_Brozzi- Thanks. It's important to me to keep experimenting. Glad you liked my works.

sve-I totally agree with most things you were saying. Great analysis. I'll try to make a longer reply to it in a couple of weeks (when I'll be back from Greece). Right now I'm real tired and not in the mood of long replies (sorry). It's real great though how you critisized my older stuff. To my defense though; at that time I simply did know too litle about principles of art and these paintings illustrate the best I could do at a certain age. I wouldn't even know what primitivism was (thx for the link, will come back to it later). Actually there's a lot I'd like to tell and discuss with you in more detail but as I said....I'm being lazy (actualy am at work after I ought have shut down this place quite some tome ago and be gone home (awfull english I know).And replieng to your replies is also always so hard (in a good way I mean) I wouldn't dare write something simple or smaltalkish to you. So....wish me luck for my Greecetrip, I'm sure I'll have tons to report about it in about 2.5 weeks.

guggenmaneuver-lol, thats funny. The only reason I was online yesterday was to drop a post, you noticed I were online thinking I was being lazy and not working on any new artworks and wanted me to update not realizing I was doing the later at that moment. I agree with what you're saying on the Hammer and Gripper one. Might actualy do third version in bout half a year or so...me damn perfectionist. It had been first time I encountered some Rodin works. It blew me away. That guy was a genious. I'm a fan now. You definately ought make some studies of him since you seem to have the chance to samewell.In case you haven't heard, which is quiete likely cuz me lazy bum haven't told you yet, I'm gonna spent two weeks in Greece, so It'll be a while till I'll check back on Ca an all. So, you keep drawing some cool stuff during that timespan for me to crit and I on own behalf will be back with some ancient Greek stuff (hopefully). Cheers.

Two inkwash doodles and a badly executed handstudy to go with the replies:

I WILL BE OFF TO GREECE FOR 2 WEEKS. TILL LATER YA ALL.

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last portrait's sweet, clothes rock on it, nice feel overall, enjoy Greece!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    have fun in greece! i really like the last ink wash!

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, blacky. First of all, I wish you safe and wonderful journey! I'm happy for you! That's a greatest thing: traveling, I hope you will have a great fun and see a lot. I would love to hear about it from you.
    The second thing, I ask you very persistently: could you drop this nonsense about thinking what to write to me. What do you mean you wouldn't dare???? Who am I, for you to do such a strange thing. I never enjoy these things.

The fun is to talk openly and laugh.

And you don't have to write to me if you don't feel like it. I don't expect anything from you. I value your opinion, because you see things in a very interesting light, different from mine. You noticed a lot. I value this free exchange of opinions and information.

In the post before I like the Rodin' s Thinker a lot. just very nice depiction of his state of mind, in your own style, very cool. The first image looks a bit flat to me.

In the third image i like how you caught the sensation of cast iron, very believable. And his torso looks nice too.

I like the little drawing of the satyr and nymph, it's beautiful, I like the soft lighting and dynamics in poses. Like the difference in the rough male and mild female bodies (you did the same thing before in the Adam and Eve).

Jazz man is great. Very good volume of the contrabass and I can feel the guy tapping his foot in rhythm. That's great, you are one of not many people on the forum who can show the sounds and motion in your drawings.

Iron mining in Ukraine I like the mood and colors and perspective and the pose, but you know, I think the figure could be done much better, the hand for example.

The acrylic still life is wonderful, I love everything in it, especially volume, colors and cold air. I like the texture on the bucket very much.

I'll continue tomorrow. it's too late at night now.

Edit: In the last two paintings are like this dangerous worrisome red color. The mood is great in both pieces, I think. Especially the first painting makes me uneasy about the events depicted. Something is not good happening.

Last edited by sve; March 3rd, 2006 at 01:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice paintings. and is that a satyr banging a nymph? wtf

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there

That acrylic painting for school (beginning of this page) is nice, I really like how you ve managed to deal with light, perfectly shows sunlight coming from the window. Good job at that!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...lko/subway.jpg - this one is a wonderful gesture, pleasing for the eyes.

Lots of goodies here! Keep drawing and pasting.

Cheers

SKETCHBOOK

Sinister Six Sketch Group
    Since 2003, sorta.
    Cookiedough Fooxoo Hyver Wolfje character

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rodin and now off to Greece! Are you trying to kill me here, or what? I'm hoping to see lots of great sketches from your trip. Wow, Greece. So, where was the Rodin exhibit held? The one here just ended at the beginning of Feb, so I went one last time to get my fix. The sketches that you did from that show are very nice and you do such a great job with the backgrounds that the figures really pop out, so good job!

The iron mining sketch is a good mood piece. It left me with a feeling of loneliness and desolation. Maybe that's just part of the life of a miner, I guess.

Here's hoping for a great trip to Greece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HECK YEAH BLACKY AWESOMENESS!!!!

have a great time in greece! Be sure you do a lot of sketchinng while you are there.... Look at how Madplanet busted out loads of studies at niagra falls yo>>>> MP WAS ON that shit... you gotta be too! I'm counting on it!

Dude, i'm going to do some studies of the Rodin sculpture for ya... His stuff is totally over the top. My figurative sculputure class way back in college was saying that in order to make his sculptures more interesting, he'd actually get really close to the model and then model say a hand or a foot, just to play with scale and give it that signature rodin looky lookiness

cheers and thanks for your dropping loads of sketchbook bombs!

j

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 weeks are up!

WHERE ARE YOU BLACKY??

I miss you

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phuw....am back again.
    Thanks a lot for all of your replies, will return favour as soon as possible.

Asoir- Thanks, I myself was surprised how nice it would come out like, out of my head. I really did enjoy Greece. T'was awesome

Pennington- Yup, fun it was indeed. Wish I had spend some more time on art while being there though. I start feeling real comfortable with inkwashes. Thanks.

sve- I've read your reply like 5 times over and enjoyed it more and more any time I did. Thanks a ton. I'm glad you liked the Rodinstudies so much. That guy became one of my favourite sculpors right now. Alongside with Michael Angelo, Whoever did Lacoon, Bernini and Picasso. You where right on your crits too. I ought have added some more volume on some of em and contours where nonapropriate on some of em too. (My teachers oppinion).
    I like how Jazzguy turned out like too. Actually am afraid too finish it not to mess it up again n such.
    Ironmining scetch was done to try out creating depth with inks. Agree on figure, I rushed him and thus messed him up.
    When doing the stillife, I was being real careful and conservative for a while till I loosened up and droped some colours and action down on it. Interesting experience. I love it too. Hadn't expected it to look so nice in the end. When I started out with it, the task appeared real boring to me.
    Those last two inkwashes where scetches bout the new topic at scool I chose so far, which would be Requiem. Haven't made up a concept or a decent idea yet. First one's too packed with stuff and too unclear though.
    Concerning Greece.........I know you'd like to hear about it, but that's such a long story....I'll have to post some sort of report about it on the weekend or something for everybody who wishes so to read. I might tell you so far though, that it was great and that whe've been to Athen, Corinth, Mycena, Sparta, Sea and Taigheosmountains. I have about a dozen of pictures yet to finish and/or upload, too. My parents are gone to the Canarian Isles (for 2 weeks) and they took our camera with em. So I can't upload those works right now anyway. &#180;N other bad news is, that I lost a scetchbook with about 20-25 scetches on the bus .
    Till later.

OroszO- thanks, he aint banging though, he's just trying to get his hamster out of there

foxoo-heloo, foxoo.....always nice to have you drop by. Hope my teacher's going to be of same high oppinion bout my exampainting as you are. Bought myself a new inkrollpen, has a nice feel to it. (did the sub-guy with it) My other artteacher despites pens though. He says their lines are "dead" n stuff (wtf).

madplanet- Hey Bruce. thanks for the friendly words. The Rodin exhibit was held here in Hamburg. Hamburg has nice exhibits quite often, I merely need to visit em more often. Hey, speaking to you reminds me of my promise to do those membershipcards....damn, time's passing so quick. Somebody kick me in the but to make it move please. I've been a little bit lazy in Greece too. Although I have 12 pictures done (or started) there, yet to display some time and although I lost 20-25 scetches on the bus...., I drew less on that trip than on the one to Italy in Summer . Will have to make a report bout trip itself some time soon though (for those who are interested). T'was great.
    Oh, and concirning mining-pic, some of my grandparents where working at such mines. So, my childhood memories made me paint it. Glad you liked it. Althou sve's right. I ought have done figure better.

guggen- Hey, Joe. You're too late . had you posted your reply before sve and madplanet, I would have told you in full detail bout Greecetrip (so far). But I'm too tired right now. Sorry. Please have a look at my replies concerning Greece to sve and mad.
    Damn, I just realized that I haven't checked your guys' scetchbooks for ages. You wanting to go scetch some Rodin sounds awesome. I rcently heard that he had some sort of photographic memory. He could model, say, a face with one hand while holding a pipe in the other one and giving an interview to some guy, barely having a look at his work.
    Cheers

That fat kid- Shoot me! Cuz I DID NOT draw like a madman. I know I should have. Gave up after first day and especialy after I lost a scetchbook with about 20-25 scetches on bus. Shame on me. Have a bunch of Greecepics yet to post though. Thanks for the kind words and your visits.

SirGreenSock- GreenSock, .... I have bad news for you. I'm on the fatal track of getting myself a girlfriend soon. Thus there will not be any more time for....for....US.
    I'll miss you too brotha.
    (Jk, ....well, concirning second half )

Ok; here's a bunch of "STUFF"

Studies

doodles

sub/ train/scool

Jazz-good ol times

unfinished scetch

Greece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sweetass update! Hope ya had a great time in Greece! I wanna go there again soon, havent been in 10 years
    Really like where youre going with the sketches and studies, especially the first one.
    Digging the jazz work, always have so much energy in em. Went to a jazz club myself the other night, never realized just how difficult it is to capture the life and music with these people. Mad props to you man!
    btw, you posted this one and this one twice. :o Theyre both real nice so I'll forgive you this time

Nikola Odic
    sketchbook
    site
    you got them purty lips, boy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice page! I like the last watercolour. Also the red portrait above is cool.

Keep doing it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back, Blacky and I hope that all went well in Greece, although sorry to hear that you lost all of those sketches. I'd love to hear all about your trip (as I'm sure others would to), so whenever you get the time, let 'er rip.

What a coincidence that you have that hand study, I was just looking through my Hogarth hand study book. You did a good job on that, it really jumps out at ya. I really like the Bernini sketch, too. After Rodin, he is my next favorite sculptor. Walking around Rome, I really got a great chance to view his works up close. He was just incredible. The good ol times jazz guy looks like a young Marlon Brando, a very young Brando, a very thin Brando. That's a good sketch, I like that one.

Great batch of sketches, Blacky. It was worth the wait. You know, maybe you could rework that miner sketch, improve the figure a bit; it's a powerful piece and since you actually have a connection with the story, all the more so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blacky, you're going to go very far with this explosive sense of vision.

Keep up your fine studies ... you're rapidly honing the ability to harness your expression while maintaining your image crafting.

It's really a pleasure to observe your growth.

take care,
    bk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments.
    Here's a little update. Stuff from Greece.
    (I've been real lazy lately)

SirGreenSock-thanks man, you definately schould go to Greece or Europe some time. Lots of ancient sites around n all. Glad you liked the Jazzscetch, why don't you talk Heroic or somebody else you know to go draw Jazz with ja?
    We need more of't on CA

Serpian- Thanks glad you liked em. Although that watercolour didn't come out right I'd say. I like the one I posted today better.

madplanet- Hey, nice talking back to you again. I'd like to tell more bout Greece, but my parents are on vacation for a week still on and they took our digi-camera with them. I had to pay quite some money to make this little update here. I mean, that I still have pics to post and I'm waiting for the receiving of the Photo-CD that was made bout the trip by some folks to help share my Greece experience.
    I'm tottaly a Berninni fan too. In fact, my avatar's a study i did on one of his Busts ("soul of a damned"......lol). Glad you liked the recent update.
    I won't try improve the mining scetch though, since It's an inkwash. I'd have to use covering colours like acrylics to paint on top of't. I might do a bigger version sometime. I've been real lazy recently and have still so many things to do. We'll see what will become of all the projects I had been meking plans on. So long...

bk studio- wow, hadn't expected to have such an honed guest come by. I didn't even know you where posting in the SB section. Thanks a lot for the kind words. That's the sort of motivation that gets me the furthest. Will have to lift my lazy ass and do something not to disapoint people I respect. Because unfortunately I respect myself too little to care, at times.

Greece:

Portraits done as gifts on May 8th (world woman day)

scetch done in plane

Portrait of our Tourleader at end of trip. (He was real exhausted)

by the sea

Last edited by blacky; March 27th, 2006 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, dear friend. Happy to hear from you and see you new posts. I always like to go though your book, return to older work and see it. I'm just not always able to write, Syndrome of heavy hand, you know, probably suffering from it too .

I'm glad you have a great time and even if you didn't do much art. it's great, refreshing, very much needed.
    I'll tell you honestly, hope you don't mind, not all work from the post before I like. Some of the subway sketches and, for example. girl reading near the table are a bit too monotone to me. The lines and values are all the same, and eyes got bored. Although there is a lot of motion in these lines, but strangely enough this information is recognised by eyes as the same, and I'm losing interest to the image very quickly.

It's not the case with these pieces though:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...le/studies.jpg I like the calm, quiet manner in which you drew this woman. Motion is nice in other images, but exactly this manner is good for this drawing, I think. Because it makes me feel cozy and relaxed and the woman look like source of piece, maybe consolation. So I like it.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...lle/train1.jpg I like this airy sketch, very good proportions.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...erberninni.jpg this drawing looks so dramatic, these black shadows and hawk-like profile do the trick, I think. Very intense character. I know it is probably study from the bust, but he looks alive, and he looks like he is suffering.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...halle/Lena.jpg Lena looks very sympathetic and a bit funny, a little exaggerated features, nevertheless it looks realistic and has very nice sensation of happening in front of my eyes.

Love the musician. Although he is less interest than the one who was tapping his foot in the rhythm of music. .

I like the fisherman and the waiter too, but the manner of drawing is a bit monotone for me, the variety of pencils strokes and values would be better, I think.

The last update is wonderful.
    Especially the girls' portraits and especially the second one. The precious face, beautiful and full of thoughts. And self- respect. Lovely. And I like this soft shading a lot combined with fast pencils strokes, this is what I like, varied information for viewer.

The face of a tired tour guide is wonderful, too. Blacky, I love when you catch this fine emotion with your smart eyes. Great, buddy! : Very happy when I see this. One of the major attraction in your art, attention to people and subject.
    His face is so dried up, so indifferent, it almost painful to look at him.

And I love the last landscape. Light, space had lovely calm mood. A bit sad, but it's probably just now. Wonderful, I like it so much, save it.
    See you.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm thought i posted already. wierd. anyways, glad you had fun in greece! looks like it. likin' the studies, they're nice and controlled. all the ink washes are cool too. i noticed on your train sketches (with pencil) that everything looks as if it were the same color. like the chair and the clothes of the people are all the same i mean. really like the architectural study and the jazz good ol times is superb! later.

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5