Sketchbook: Squareyard - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Squareyard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finaly, this second page got me waiting for quite a while. Now people will hopefully be able to view most recent updates without having to upload the imageheavy first page

madplanet-thats a fun game I see us playing. Like tossing a ball back and forth between one another. ( leave a crit at your sb, and you at mine) Thus one can concentrate on latest updates (already knowing of the rest the other person's done) and comment on these. (Instead of leaving "good job" crits)
    Thus one can receive aid on things that occupy that person at the very moment.
    That Hugarth book you're mentioning, is exactly the one, I did these studies from. Thought I'd have to work on hands some more, so I decided to copy as much from it as time and motivation allows.
    That is actualy the first rather succesful scetch of my mom. Of all the persons I know, her features are the hardest to catch. hmm...making a painting of't? Perhaps (I owe her two paintings). quircks

fooxoo- thanks a lot, I will, cheers

Some more jazz (8 people are sooo hard to catch in one scetch)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some students from scool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well hello

nice work here blacky, i like the way (now this is gonna be haaaard to explain ) you manage to trace just the basic, necessary lines, and you show shapes and light with a few strokes (hope you got the message^^).Very expressive drawings anyway, with a very godd anatomy base, and solid studies...keep i t up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGnoll
    well hello

nice work here blacky, i like the way (now this is gonna be haaaard to explain ) you manage to trace just the basic, necessary lines, and you show shapes and light with a few strokes (hope you got the message^^).Very expressive drawings anyway, with a very godd anatomy base, and solid studies...keep i t up
    The term you're looking for is line economy. And yes, he has it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    beauty.. loving the rough scribbly lines that make up an impression... keep going you are making a nice progress, would love to see what you do soon. cheers,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man. The whole bouncing back and forth is what it's all about. Bouncing images and ideas back and forth and hopefully something somewhere will stick. I know for myself, I don't see things that others will, so it's nice when someone can tell me what they have noticed good or bad. Plus, it's something to look forward too. Those jazz sketches are nice in that they capture the energy of the group. I miss doing sketches like that. I haven't gone to the coffee shop near my house in awhile; they usually have a guitar player or two that are fun to draw. I'll have to get back there soon. The student sketches are good; they all seem to capture a personality of some kind. I obviously couldn't know just what their personalities are like, but they do seem to capture A personality, some character. The third one down is my favorite.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for the replies

The Gnoll-thanks for droping by, I see you're starting to have a walk through other peoples sb . Thanks for the kind words, line economy safes time, that's why I try pushing it.

glister- I do? ....well, ....thanks

bumskee- The Lone Whinger's back! Thanks for having a stop at my humble sb, am honoured and pleased. Salutos.

madplanet- True word you're talking about. You definately should go to that cofeshop near you. I personaly enjoy it very much to watch life performance, listen to some good music, and try capture the atmospere on some paper.
    I did most of these student scetches out of boredom, (have finished all assignments already), but I like em too. It's not necessaryly so, that these kids would have any sort of extraordinairy character, but I just caught em of guard, when they were occupied by s.th. quirks

Here I have some experimental stuff, that I'll improve, by painting it over some time
    (scetch for the concept)

ideas for space in between persons

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more handstudies after Burne Hoghart

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow man... i've really missed a lot of good stuff you've posted

These two in particular are really special:
    http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...urashka/h4.jpg
    http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c1...bert/jazz1.jpg LOVE where this series is going.... great relative sense of scale ... difficult subject too!

Keep up the great wurk dood ... I really like even the abstract ones You mean to tell me you don't have a 5 METER wide scanner anywhere around???? haha.... my bad! somehow i assumed it was maybe smaller somehow. hard to judge the scale for me.

the hand studies are looking stellar, though it seems like the knuckles area is a little too wide.

I am also glad that your cheapo-figure-sessions conoisseur ass got the leaky photobucket issue resolved. yay! no more bad linkS!
    -joel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, let's just say that you gave those students some personality. You can show them and say, "see, this what it's like!" That will show them.

Your painting is a bit different and I don't know just what to say about it right now, I'll need to see more. The one thing that I do find interesting is the man's green shirt; it's almost like liquid. The hogarth hand studies look good, especiallly the top one. The palm on the second one looks to be too wide, though. I always thought that Hogarth drew his finger tips kind of strange.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks
    guggen-Quote: I am also glad that your cheapo-figure-sessions conoisseur ass got the leaky photobucket issue resolved
    Yeah, I'm realy happy about that too (duh..). This one is actually middle part of two other ones I've done (which look too bad right now though) http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c7...ashka/brw1.jpg put together these are little more than 4 metres wide, so....well...'ve got to get me one of those 5m scanners . You'r right, those knuckles are too big (exagerated.)
    Appreciate your crit. Salutos!

madplanet-thx. Hmm yes, I probably should not have posted those paintings yet as they're not finished. Just wanted to show you guys what I've been up to and what direction these are tacking me. Agreed, the palm's too wide and the way H. drew his hands seems odd, but I think that this exageration, teaches more than "custom" hands drawn by some other artists. Have a good one.

Here's some stuff from scool:

old (Study on Caravagio)

recent

new

brandnew!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that it's good that you are putting up unfinished 'quirks', they show us all in glorious color just what you are doing! Besides, it's interesting seeing the stuff that is a bit different than what you are usually doing. The Carravaggio looks like a good lighting study (an area where I need to work on!), so is that fun to do or was it a chore? Seems like fun. Are those two women fearful of what the artist is painting? Now you have to show us what scandalous image he is shocking them with!

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, blacky . How are you? You are drawing a lot, but I wanted to tell you, maybe you should try some other ways to draw, with short, slow brushstrokes ( or pencils) and careful rendering and look what will happen. You have a lot movement and expressions in your fast sketches, but reality is getting a bit distorted sometimes, to the degree that my eyes don't' recognise it as possible. I might be wrong though, but I wish you were more careful with form sometimes. Still life is all about forms and shapes, in my opinion, not about dynamics. Slow down a bit and try to depict life in some other manner, just to find new ways to express yourself
    Jazz musicians are great sketches, the composition could be better, but it's probably just very fast drawings, so they have very nice mood and volume.
    Hands studies are wonderful, very similar to Hogarth.
    I really like the study of Caravaggio. Lighting, expression and lace are very enjoyable to watch.
    I like people sitting around the table a lot, has a nice feeling of everyday life about it.
    Sveta
    I hope you will take imy comments easy. Keep drawing alot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey hey blacky!
    (This is the second time i've written this because of some silly firefox forward / back button stupidity i did. Guess i will have to make this post even better!)

Here are some thoughts about scale- the scale of those abstract paintings really makes a huge difference... next time you are photographing them you might want to put some small object off frame so that your fans (like me! ) can get some idea of what the scale is. I did a lot of thinking about this a while back and came to the conclusion that a pair of scissors was probably the best thing to use because it's pretty much universal unless someone is from a tribe deep in the rainforest or something.

a ruler, a coin, or anything else really is quite difficult to translate the size of for people who've never seen an American Dollar, or don't use inches. this is an example of a place in my sketchbook where i did this to demonstrate the scale. because everyone has hands and uses scissors, it's hard to imagine that someone wouldn't be able to guess the scale. Scale is so important that it certainly affects the crits and suggestions of people who see your work here.

this 'un is looking pretty awesome. when i first saw it, i thought that the blonde guy at the right side of the table was some waify-kurt-cobain-type snorting cocaine off the table... on second glance i realized that in actuality, he was furiously drawing really intensely in his sketchbook--a much more rewarding and valid pursuit! Is this a scene from one of your drawing classes?

I agree with what sve's analysis regarding your style of drawing ... I totally love the intensity and the way that you are using the stroke economy concept to enhance your work and save time, but feel that sometimes you are working too fast. For instance, in this one i don't think it is helpful for you for me to say that the painter is kind of problematic anatomically. You know this. The speed with which you are painting is preventing the figures from a proper development. That said, i DO really like the very varied color palette which you employ and that crazy looking woman behind the painter totally TRIPS ME OUT! it seems like your work has some of the stylization that was so gorgeous about francisco goya's work; have you ever tried to copy any of his stuff just to learn? him or the really nice portraits and sketches by Daumier. I know you are from germany, but i'm seeing some similarities there. I'd like to see the faces that you draw get better with anatomy and expression... your painting technique applied to a knowing anatomical rendering of a face would be quite awesome

you should post some ofyour stuff on the toned paper that you mentioned in my SB--
    PURPLE PAPER POSSE FOREVER! I will be back soon friend! Keep the BURNING Blacky METEOR BLAZING!

-joel

Last edited by guggemmaneuver; January 21st, 2006 at 04:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I see my fanclub's been busy

madplanet- thx, the Cravagio was a chore, and lots of fun too. Was my first time trying to controll acrylics some more (before that, all that would come out, would be nonintentional quircks ) I added the two girls because this guy from my artclass has got a napoleon-complex. He's a macho too (in a very funny way). The shocking masterpiece he was working on, was a picture of myself......it realy turned out horrible (we were painting each other, painting ). Guess mine turned out like some sort of carricature. Cheers.

sve- (hugs n kisses) thx, I'm fine. I wish I could draw more as scool, sports and work's depriving me of most sparetime. I do try to scwitch mediums and try new things, but you are totaly right, I should get back on solid fround again. ('ve been flying around experimenting for quite a while now, time to get a new load of basics and reality shoved up my forehead )
    Yup, I totally rushed myself on those Jazz scetches, (have a faible for quantity instead of for quality). I am planing on making some paintings about jazz (in about a month or so). So I'll try being more carefull with those.
    Thanks for your crits, very much appreciated. Am not at all upset when people point out my weaknesses. These are like medicine, bitter, but very healthy

joe!-sorry to hear you had to post twice, you're an awesome fan. (Am one of you too, though )
    I get what you're talking about concerning importance of scale (me idiot, was thinking, people could tell, by the widh of brushstokes.... )
    Can't wait to get back to my artclass at scool, to tell this girl, bout the curt-cobain point of view. She's gona laugh her &%# off. (I did). She's quite talanted, would in fact be a decant artist, had she the motivation to draw more. She's giving much thought on shading, details and clarity. You and sve are right, should concentrate on such things too. Glad you liked my "stylazation" and the colours. In fact, Goya is one of my favourite artists. A study on one of his works is yet to come, as I was hoping the exhebition of his works in Berlin, would be relocated to Hamburg some time. So I could study those beaties "life"
    Haven't done refed face studies for ever. Will have to start some on the scull model I have. Thanks a lot for your input here, greatly appreciated.
    Here we go with that purple/ white combo I was talking about (reason why I hadn't posted em earlier, is cuz they were giving me so much trouble to be captured adequately by camera):

Lifedrwings, 10min, ink and pastel

5min.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jazz, sub scetch and non refed headstudy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Blacky,
    Just took a stroll through your thread here. You have a very interesting array of stuff. Very nice anatomical studies. Interesting interesting line work on a number of them. There is a very dreamlike quality to you paintings. Kudos my friend.

Whatever you do, don't look at my Sketchbook and Painting Thread!

"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hylandr2 -thanks, am working on actualy making it all interesting, so appreciate you noticed. Yup, linework's something I needed working on bout a year ago, I guess it paid off at times . And concerning dreamlike quality....probably because I daydream all the time, ha, ha .
    Kudos back n so long...

here are some hughart-hands, for the sacke of posting

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should start printing up those membership cards...

I like the third figure down from the first post; he has an interesting look to him, however I don't think that that background works too well, it's kind of distracting and takes away from his quirkiness. See, how I worked that one in there? The pencil sketches look good and they look like you spent some more time on them. And I like how you do the Hogarth hand studies; they are Hogarth all the way, but you definitely add something to them. They almost look creepy in a way. Cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, blacky . Always wanted to ask you how life is in Europe from your point of view? Let me see it though your eyes, if it's not too much trouble . Here, where I live life is slow and kind of the same. I always want to travel, see the world. Would you like to do that?

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...laner/akt1.jpg I like this painting very much, very cool. Especially i like hoe you drew hands and legs of this man. Ah, the whole figure is great. It is alive breathing person, I saved him, very interesting technique too.
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...laner/akt6.jpg I like this figure too

Heads are sometimes are a bit too small in your drawings comparing to bodies.

Hands studies are wonderful, interesting that you chose this Hogarth hands, I think they are very dynamic, like most of your art.

Jazz musicians are great and if you put them closer they will look even better I think.
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn hot sketchbook! i dig your style, and you have some very strong anatomy skills! the studies on the pink paper rock!! keep posting mate, i'll keep an eye on you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your replies folks.

That fat kid- thanks for your praise on my lines, and concerning more clarity and accuracy: Your wish shalt be my order, sire. Thanks for stopping by.

madplanet- membership cards...hmm..what'r these? Please tell me more about those . Thanks a ton for your crit. You're right on the points you make. Was experimenting and all. Yea, those Hoghart's hands ARE creepy. That's why it is so much fun to do em. (Wish I wasn't that lazy about it though ....)
    quirks

sve-Oh, I am so glad you mentioned this, show me where you live at, thing. As I wish more people at Ca would do so. Yup, means I'm gonna try and do stuff depicting life around me. Not necessarily now (it's real cold outside).
    But I was going to do some cityscapes in acrylics in a couple of month anyway. And I'll be hicking through greece for 2 weeks in May (Hurray). So I'll be coming up with lots of scetches there . Agreed, this all will tacke a while...but stay tuned. I will try putting Jazz musician closer this Friday and you're right those heads tend to come out too small. Something to work on.
    Ciao

Sawa-strong anatomy scills?...I wish. But, hey, I was just more or less copying those figures from a (real great) book. Glad you like my sb. (Am getting to become so proud of it ) Thx for dropping by. You're stuff's quite cool too. More people should post in yours. Anyways...bis dann.

An update I like a lot

first off, a forgotten figure

a sub sc.

faces from scool

a very honest sp

My mom again

Stuffed seagul, and a...a...Hamsta? (in pencil, cameralight distorted colours)

view into my room

my desktop

Salutos

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, membership cards for the Blacky fanclub that you were talking about. Kind of like the CA cards, but just a little more exclusive.Ha, ha.

Your pencil sketches are really freakin' good. The guy with the book, the self-portrait and the one of your ma are the ones that really stand out. Sometimes, I think that your pencil sketches show us a bit more personality than some of the more finished stuff and that's not a bad thing at all. That monkey thing with the boxing gloves looked like a lobster when I first saw it, so I thought that it was going to be a lobster still life...but I guess it's more of a monkey/boxing glove kind of still life. Good stuff, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyooo man, Nice sp u got here. I really like how u put much effor in ur paintings, im no good at painting :/ but i really really liked ur
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...er/realold.jpg
    And also ur life drawin has goten betta from the begginin, uve just got to learn the shapes abit more, THEN u can undrestand why u put some lines for the LEG, TORSO, ARM. learn the basic shapes. then apply it to ur poses. simple lines, 1,2,3,4 lines for the arm, done. quick sketches. free ur hand. Loosen abit more. When u practise in that alot, ull get AWESOME.
    see, uve practised the hands so much, and check this one
    http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...laner/sub2.jpg
    love the hands love the face. ITS QUICK , its GREAT
    u keep up like this, ull be goin crazy with ur painting and life drwaing.
    hope to see more stuff man
    keep em comin
    *CHOP CHOP*

¤Sketch FACTORY¤

THe Cookie Factory StuDio
    Ryn
    --
    Project SOle.ca
    ¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tiny update, replies tomorrow (sorry)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx to comment my sketchbook i don't know your own , i love your sketche from life ..how do you manage whey they want eye contact with you ? You traditionnal stuff is very very interesting , thx for sharing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    N other tiny update

madplanet-thx a lot for dropping by (once again ) Appreciate your input a lot. I realy think I'll have to make those membershipcards some time. hhhhmmmm....how about you coming up with an idea of what you'd like your membership card to look like and I'll draw it for you?
    quirks

Heroic- wow, that reply was so much fun to read. Great combo of critique and encouragement. Thanks a ton. Will do try to improve still on the way you described it.

That fat kid- aint am sure how I might slow down on ink and pastell ones (as Y usualy have only 10min.), but I'm glad you're liking my stuff enough to check on by again and help me out with some crit. So, I'll try to slow down whenever the time for it would be given. Prcision realy seems to be a weakpoint of mine right now. Cheers

Shylone_Breath- Oh, you're very welcome to get to know my sb . Glad you're liking it so far. I used to be shy when it came to scetch people at public places, but after a while you get used to it. I never had a "model" that would be like: "Stop drawing me, I feel uneasy about it!" Even when they do feel uneasy about it, they never tell you. So I aint am afraid someone could physicly harm me for scetching him/ her. In fact, the angrier they get, the more interesting the scetches turn out. Eye contact involves viewer into the drawing. It's like comunication. I am not trying to get on peoples nerves intentionaly though. I want them to come out as natural as possible. As a practice you could ask your friends or relatives to pose for you.

was to jazz on Friday, suddenly they'd stop and start drinking beer and have a political discussion (those lazy bums)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oooh, a customed designed Blacky membership card! Well, obviously it would have to be quirky, but other than that I'd have to think about it.

I like the sleeping dog (that's yours I take it?), but he almost seems to be floating above the floor. The only time I can sketch my dogs is when they are sleeping or from a photo. I like the jazz club sketches too (what's that second guy doing?), so were they discussing politics with the crowd or just among themselves? It's kind of funny hearing it on this end, but I wasn't there, so I don't know how mad I would have been. Bums. That skull was done very nicely, but I would try to make the eye sockets and nose a lot darker. Great updates, keep 'em coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madplanet-well, I'll have some freetime from in 3 weeks on. Anybodys custom-membership card requests will be executed. Am actually realy curious on what requests people might come up with.
    The dog isn't mine. It belongs to a customer at the place I work at. (Mine died a year ago, never dared to draw it. (T's been the most beatiful dog ever))
    Gues I'll have to add some more shadow to this dog so he'd stick to the ground. Whereby the right version of this dog was actualy in midstair http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ner/doodle.jpg
    Glad you liked the Jazz guy, tried to slow down some on these. The second guy's the same as first one, except that he's having a beer . They were having a break and since I was the only guest to their show, they didn't feel like playing on and got cought up in a discussion on Europian imigration policy compared to the one of US (Way too many Mexicans, Latinoes n so on...bla, blah) and Newzealand (those guys barely let anybody in. They also discussed Hamazes victory in Palastine and Iranian nuce plans n so on. T was quite interesting actually. Knew most stuff anyway and would have prefered to watch em play still. I'll do some more of these scull studies, I think. (they're from life )

Having fun with a mirror

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Blacky. Awesome update, you are generous fellow. Love you variety.
    Was reading your comments with great interest too . Funny stuff . Come to hear music and ended up listen complains about emigrations policy. Well, well, talk about emigration, Germany has a funny one too.... hehehe, Relax, blacky, I'll give you a break from politics, I'm in a kind mood today .

Love the portrait of your mom. She looks very sweet, probably, not very chatty woman, calm, in control of herself, not very social and devoted to her family. Has a bit bitter folds near the corners of her accurate little mouth and small wrinkle between her eyebrows. Not very fashion conscious,probably, likes functional clothing more . like you . Nice portrait, has a very sweetmood about it.

I like your SP, all of them, especially the honest one, looks very much alive. Not sure what dollar sign means. You like it or something? hehehe

In the room painting I like colors a lot, especially the color and texture of your wood table, very truthful. Very pleasant painting in whole, your room, so personal and private, and silent. Your castle, love it .

Man sitting and reading in the subway is wonderful, I can tell a lot about him, and about this day. I see this bus (or train) in motion, slightly swinging his body and your hand on the sketch book. It's pretty cold in the wagon. Actually I feel a cold weather in all your recent drawings.

I like the skulls you drew, especially the first and last one, very good volume in it. You know, the drawing from ref looks very good from you, I even think it's probably better then ref. Your last one looks like he is ready to give some words of wisdom.

Love the feeling of the current moment in your art: the girl reading a letter (or note), bums, portraits, dogs, all of it really give me the feeling being near me and being right now. Wonderful and rare quality, blacky.
    So great update, I love all of it.
    Wish you told me more about my underwater study, I feel a lot of wrong, but what could be done to improve? I just like to get this feeling of non gravity work.
    Sveta

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5