Sketchbook: Squareyard - Page 12
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Squareyard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something to wind the year up
    (first one is a Rembrandt study in Painter)

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Last edited by blacky; January 21st, 2008 at 09:30 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    always a pleasure to stop in here blacky, and to finally see yer mug

luvly waercolors and life drawings as usual (especially enjoyed the experimental ones)

keep sharing, i'm still watchin'

ciao

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your stuff but study more on the anatomy and never loose that sylization you got going on. Very cool work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheGnoll- he, he,....yeah, ..my mug is the highlight of this thread, it's the fire of Prometheus compared to my litle humble graphite-scratches on papper thx for stopping by

Lege1- that's a good point, actually I was trying to borrow some books on anatomy today from the library, but most books have ugly pictures in them. Despite all their anatomical correctness. Still, I won't be able to avoid another round of anatomy in near future, since I keep forgeting about proportions, numbr of limbs and so on

Well, a little update to hone myself. Not that I would be cocky or arrogant. But I'm in a good mood right now ( it's 7 o'clock in the morning, have been drinking and dancing)So I beg your mercy :p

honing my soviet roots:

me becoming old:

Last edited by blacky; May 2nd, 2008 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6594/turning22fp8.jpg

Damn it man. this is emblematic of how I feel. The composition and execution are just there. love it with hate.

Your drunk speech on my SB was a great way to start 2008 hehe cheers for that.

The girl in boots series is incredibly sexy.

cheers man

Mario

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Andrej! Here I am, it took me less than three months to keep my promise and don't let the conversation stop... Please don't take it in some self belittling way... take it that you need to open more with me and give me more information to think and talk about... I'm a greedy person .
    Thanks for giving me links to your snobbish comrades, Slavin's brothers.
    Their judgmental dad ( ehehe, runs in family apparently) is worth your money. both brothers have something attractive about their art. The Matvej's link is not working anymore... but I remember impression from his work... it was positive.

Mark has a lovely sense of color and a special mood in his paintings I think. The mood of passive passers-by, you know, reflecting, not participating... he speaks by colors most of all and a bit by shapes... but they are not so expressive and composition in his images ... well in my opinion only of course is not developed still. there are some empty spots, some not desirable stops in rhythm of the picture... I might be wrong though. I think he understands and appreciates beauty and pretty accomplished in capturing it... but a bit cold by nature, distanced. Color is deep though and rich in his paintings and nuances are many in his charcoals... But there is some strange tendency not to stir things up in his art but smoothly flow with currents.

Ha! You are his opposite... You are wrong that your own photo is the only thing able to ignite fire... As I said some time ago... your drawings are a constantly changing reality or imagination, always trembling and changing contours. They are restless and very alive,
    If only you could add some self control to this .

Thank you for letting me know I earned some trust from your mom by my taste in literature. Always great to have a family on my side . Although I suspect the approval has a local interest so to speak. Don't get it as offense though... it is a natural human feature. But I hope you accept me as who I am though... and that will be cosmopolitan .
    So glad you were in India, it is really, really the best thing in the world... traveling.. I even got some breeze, some taste of the country from your paintings: heat, a lot of places to worship in comfort, grandiosity and space .
    I'm especially fond of this one:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1194993167

Lovely mood in this image: calm and grand and transparent in the same time... I love it although I might wish for a little stricter approach and more air, a little more air.
    I would remove too many details, make the blue color even lighter. But nevertheless you transfered me to this place and I felt standing down there and looking up, feeling small and silly comparing to it.
    On the other hand maybe I'm prejudiced by earlier similar work:
    http://media.collegepublisher.com/me...9c90d-21-1.jpg

I like the strange drawing of noisy company of people carrying a guy in front of the old palaces... I felt the jolly mood and absurdity of it. I like it.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1194993188 I like this one so very much... it has more than the story and good composition... the diversity and richness of nuances and pencils strokes are very attractive in this one as well. IMO. There are many things for eyes to feast here: short and long, roundish and edgy, smooth and prickly, strong and transparent... Very enjoyable... And you keep a pretty good control here, not too wild or overwhelming.

I remember seeing some Renoir's pencil drawings... he controlled the viewer's attention so skillfully with those. I remember he drew a dame coated in luscious firs and the loveliness of the drawing was in this flow and texture made from many different pencils strokes. Kept me staring again and again at the simple sketch. I don't have this art card with me now, but the picture and tornado of the lines is still in front of my eyes and I still feel its seduction.

I'm telling you this because you have the same wonderful quality... it is in the first images of your sketch book already: your crocodiles and spiders and dog on the tiles and many more.

What is absent in your art it's right values, I think. Which could give order and weight.
    I might be wrong of course...
    But...
    This little Rembrandt study you did like a good plan before starting an adventure put everything on their places. Your own studies don't have this calm, solid base. They are light air balloons comparing to this little study.
    The muscles have weight though in your images, and age, but it is always some other force together with gravity which effects their posture and outlines . I'm afraid I'm being too harsh on you though.

There are many images in those updates which I like so very much:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1194993613 Wonderful and strange, wonderfully strange and thank God you decided not to put the muddy BG there. I love clearness of those lines and their spasmodic motion.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1195675515
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1195675521
    I like the starling gesture in the first and the big, voluptuary gums in the second... They both are very good, but those little characteristics, very personal hooked me right away and decided everything for me. That's a good story telling and charisma . Ha,,, I'm waiting for you to start to resent my flattery... it was not that though...
    Love your photo! Smile and gesture especially. you are right... fire...

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/5084/thorstenrg2.jpg
    http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/5673/thabstrbl8.jpg
    Very, very interesting. I'm looking forward to see more of those bold experiments, interesting.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1198233713 I like this one and two images that go after this one... Mainly textures and strange prickliness, quirkiness attracted me and bold, clear colors...

Oh... So many words... how you tolerate me...
    See you buddy and if you need anything I'm always here, don't think twice.
    I'm proud you are my friend, you are an unusual and good natured guy, great combination. I mostly encountered only one of each.

Last edited by sve; January 21st, 2008 at 11:02 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can really see u got a creative brain in that head of yours
    Loving especially the coloring, its very loose but still very strong.. Keep it coming plz.

Thanks for dropping by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mario- Oh well, it sucks to get older. There's no way back, but time's supposedly merely an illusion anyway so it helps think it doesn't matter . You know the saying ?; with age comes wisdom, but most often age comes by oneself. I just hope not to loose the curiosity that makes one be in awe before the little things of one's everyday life.

sve- yeah, the Matvej's..... by now I don't like them any that much as I used to. One, the elder sold 5 paintigs for between 800 and 2000 Dollars. He's 20 and I don't think the succes made him become any more critical with his own works. Too bad. Now he discovers new things to lood down upon by the day.
    anyways, decided to start posting occasionally again. I'm very thankfull to you that you tacke your time to observe (not only my work) in such detail and are able to put it in words that describe your feelings and the painting's effects so accurate. The dogs in India where awesome. Specially one we met in the mountains. He was more of a Yoga than the Yogamasters we met up the mountain. Refused cookies, brownies, anything merely wanted his rest. Later he trotted his way. Many Yogas where fake. They wanted to make you buy them stuff. Shoes, cloth, rice.... . If the money you gave them was too little, the'd swear at yoo.
    Values is quite a big thing, still for me to be tacken care of. Will tacke lots of time, but thanks for pointing out. Wouldn't have realised that clearly. The fire from my photo merely comes from my medical emergency assistant-Jacket. So people wouldn't drive me over when I'm out at work :p . Oh, dear, it's late and I'll definatelly have to get back to talk to you some time soon. It's been a while.

DeJakhalz- actually I took 3 classes in theory this term at scool and none i painting coz I felt like my creativity was stagnant and opening up for too much cheesy kitsch. But glad to hear such nice words. Will try my best.

A small update for now. Will try to assemble some more tomorrow.
    (When's been the last time?, like ...3 month ago?)
    anyway,
    lifedrawings:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    various other stuff, scetches, illustrations for scool:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A SP , a sceleton and a Vermeer study in acrylics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the greyhound's sketch is pretty cool...hope to see more of that style

Sketchbooks, Wacom, and Art Forum - Thread 104785">Moftah's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks, it as fun doing that scetch, but by now it looks a bit too cute/ picturesque to me. But I hope to do more in that direktion sometime

while I've been to St. Petersbourg, I was allowed to scetch from behind the scenes during an Swanlake ballet. t was quite a highlite of the trip

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A skythian and an egypt mummy I saw at the Eremitage in St. Petersbourg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was also very much impressed by the interior of a curch called "Saint Blood",
    just had to capture it somehow. Too bad I wasn't allwed to use collours though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, my friend. You decided to post again and I decided to comment again, it noticeably makes me feel better. I observe with an interest how you travel to new places and despite that it is what I want for myself I don't feel any jealousy, just pleasure, very peaceful feeling. To say it I made it my goal to destroy any seed of envy or jealousy in the very beginning when it shows its ugly self. It is a very destructive, low feeling. And I speak of course only for myself.

I wish you said more about your visit to Russia and the last your meeting with German artists interests me a lot. But it is up to you, if you have time and energy to say something. Saw you on photos and recognized you immediately. you always have something stand-offish about yourself, different form the rest people in the room and something, delightfully energetic, greedy for life. I saw it in the Egypt photos as well. You are open and still you have your own space in the room.

I can't see you drawn of energy just yet.

I bought a new piano btw and enjoy it very much.

Your new updates are wonderful. I came to comment and thought the ballet dancers will be the light of the all drawings, but then I saw you posted this interesting sketch of inside of the church and I love it. The most interesting about it is the fact that air is present in this picture and it is trembling and moving. And I see and recognize the light as I remember it from plenty of gold and candles in there.
    I look at the picture and imagine sounds and steps and good acoustics and echo of voices and hotness of all those warm colors from icons and chandeliers.
    So, this sketch is very much successful, done with a feeling and a lot of talent. Magically contagious with life.

As always, the most wonderful and charming quality of yours is that life is happening in your pictures, you didn't catch and nail it like a dead butterfly with a pin, it is still happening, moving, coughing, breathing loudly, disturbing silence, fighting back, making waves... . Maybe not always pretty, but sure full of healthy force life has as its main feature.
    I looked again, Really love hoe you sent my eyes to the lightest spot on the ceiling, good control of the composition, consciously or not.

The next I would chose to mention the sketches of the ballet dancers. Well what can I say, Andrej? I can only repeat again how much I like that truthfulness of yours, that honesty in depicted those people. I would say they almost look like blue color workers instead of entertainers. Those overdeveloped muscles of legs, big feet, short, careless mentioning of face features. They are machines for grandiose jumps. Well, my impression of course. But I do see them as ugly, overworked people, meticulously counting the minutes when they should jump and join the show. Professional jumpers.
    You can see from what ugly, prosaic things this magic is born,

Reminds me how Degas painted his ballerinas. with strong, meaty, short legs, not very attractive athletes actually instead of fairies. . Yours are long stemmed, but still there is something rough and everyday like in them ... and I enjoy that. In whatever fantasy forest I were wandering I always return to my beloved realism.
    I see alive people there rather than abstract generalizations. It is good, Andrej. Maybe it is will your specialty: presence of reality, truthfulness.

I like the Vermeer's copy as will, she is different, but still I can believe it is the same woman, but painted by a person with a different temperament, much less flattering .

Yours self portrait is lacking physical similarity in the most, maybe there is some in general, but there is something from your positive look at things IMO: colors are bold and optimistic, brushstrokes as well. I didn't like the portrait much though. It lacks something which would make me want to return to look at it one more time... some spice. I'm adding this because you always complain about too rosy comments, so here... out of respect to you: I didn't like it much .

Absolutely love the bony dog, as design smartly placed on page (across) and as a full of life drawing as well. It is elegant. You probably caught what this breed was all about: whimsical, light lines of the graceful body, weightless, aristocratic in some way. So I like it a lot.

The sketches of the figure and the head in the same post are both good, but they are colder and more conventional, expected, I would say. I would write much more kindly about them, but you last update overshined them and put them in shame with presence of so much life. They're good, but more like effective, then soulful IMO.

I like the first life drawing in the post above, the woman leaning to wall... for extreme boldness and again the nice feeling of design, symbol, you know? it happens when a drawing, outline hast this finished feeling and doesn't require any details and BG anymore. Good emblem, you know.

Well enough for today. Hope you and yours are doing great.
    yours truly
    Sveta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey sve,
    concerning Russia there's really a lot to talk about. Don't even know where to start. .... I stayed for the first week at a hostel quite in the center of the city. 200m from the Eremitage. Last 2 weeks I stayed at the flat of Wladir Snatenkov (the traveler) I told you about. I had the flat all for myself and it was located 20 (bus, subway) min from Nevskij Pr. First week my Internship included 4 "Sabori" the Spas na Krowi (I made the frwaing of, abofe), Smolnij, Simsonskij and Isaakowskij. At each I was able to attend guide tours and scetch freely. At Isaakovskij, I had chats with the tourguides in their citchen downstairs, in the cellar, where I also was schown Manuscripts, drafts, from the architekt and Illustrations of how the Church was build. I became friends with Sveta , a tourguide. We visited concerts at the Smolnij and at the Theatre of the Eremitage. The people there where very caring. At the Spas na Krowi, I was blown away by the Mosaiks. Interiour and exteriour. Artists like Nesterow, Iwanow and Wasnetzow where represented there. During that week I also went to the Marinskij Theatre to see Firebird and Princess Sherezade, after musik by Kramskoj. During my stay I also saw "Pikowaja Dama" , "The Dutchman", and "Faust" as an Oper. Also some choir concerts, one classic musik with Haydn (I think), and for 3 times Swanlake. Once in Michaelowskij and twice at the Eremitage Theatre. Where I also saw a concert of young solo singers. Second week was entirely spent on the Eremitage. At least I can say that I've walked through all of the rooms that where accesable at that time. Was also schown the studio of the fine art restauratorators. (That was really something) . Was given a pass, so I could go anywhere, like the Cafeteria, also to the "treasure chests", where I especially liked the Scythian goldcollection. Unfortunately I barely had time to scetch there. Just way too much to see and read (and walk ) there. That week wasn't enough. Last one was spent on Russian Museum (they had a great exhibition of Archip Kuindshi, and of Private collections of R. art from abroad. where I saw a verry stunning piece by Maljawin "Princess fighting a Lobster", I'm doing a comic and some paints based on the impressions from that picture now) when I saw works by Filonow I was stoked, such ginius. Saw many other paints by artists I hadn't even heard of bevore, that I liked. Also went to the Academy of fine arts. Hoped to find out about exchange programms. Won't work. Was kinda dissapointed though. They try to preserve their values from the 18th and 19thcentury. A stay of 6 month would be awesome there, but to actually get a diplome there seems pathetic to me. Why would one want to copy , copies of copies for years and do little else? Anyway, later on I heard I should have visited Muchinskij Institute, too bad. Visited friends of a friend of mine, they are both artist. Have troubles surviving and in retrospective found me cuite naive, I left a good impression though I think. They hadn't heard of Storyboard, not to speak of conceptart. Liked their works. Also was introduced to a Photographer, who's making hundreds of 360-views of St. Petersbourg right now and other ambitious projekts. He's bursting of sheer energy. Sleeps 4-5 hours. Completely selftaught. (studied 15h a day, 7 days a week for month to learn programming, chemistry, colourtheorie and so on...) It was really interesting. Also Visited the Man whom I owe this all. Former vice Prsident of the Eremitage, and direktor of the E. Theatre. Was cuite pleasant, they liked my scetches. Specially the more accademic ones. Which is funny because those where the ones I was the least proud of. The're no match to any Acadamy student's works. The Cultureclash between Old and new, between East and West was funny and a pitty to observe too. The City is georgous, although I had little time to wander through it, but lacks a single modern art institute or museum. Anything shortly before WW2 is considert "modern". Have seen barely anything from the time after. The only streetartists are tourists and Gasprom is going to build a 300m+ building on "The Sands", destroing the entire citycite. In total the trip was a blast and although I might say that I spend the time quite productive, 3 weeks were way too short.
    I liked the german scetchmeet too, great location and people. Very good for morale and motivation. Will try to attend the next one in Hellmont.
    I'm getting tired since it is already late, so I will reply to the rest of your post upon next update. Congrats on the piano though. Great to hear you have one always in your reach and can cast tunes out of it I never could. (not is me who needs to fight my envy. and it is way harder than one might think. I'd give up years of drawingexpirience for just some hunmble understanding in playing and listening to music)

This is somewhat of a parody on a student I scetched at the museum of the Academy of fine arts in St. Petersbourg. He, being about 30 copied a copy of a study, done by a 17 year old in the 18th century. During my 4h stay at the museum nothing seemed to have changed on his still quite earlystaged paint.Which I thought being pretty funny
    Last is a drawing that is supposed to depict Cortez's men fighting with the azteks. Am not very happy with it but decided to post it anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 Pictures from a fairytale-projekt from scool and a pseudo surreal scetch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some recent scetches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shaman
    (or so)

Last edited by blacky; May 18th, 2008 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello, Andrej. So sorry for writing a bit too late, I was stuck with some image and actually I was badly obsessed with changes. As always when the image is more or less defined I'm starting to endlessly change it. Do you do this? You once wrote in my sketch book, that one drawing of my daughter would be good if someone would have stopped her on time. Makes me think you killed some of yours.
    But I saw all your updates and thought about them. Something is changing with your images and I don't know what is going on. Maybe you are trying to meet requirements in your class, or maybe you are becoming someone else. Or maybe I'm imagining things. It is just you are starting to draw densely and your drawing has some pauses now, rest areas for eyes and mind so to speak. Before your images were like your hand was chasing your thought with crazy speed and now there is more pondering in your images... in this light coming from gaps, in calmer manner of filling your drawing with darks. Like you breath now between every pencil stroke, you know.
    I actually like it.
    One more thing, you images are getting a bit on scary side for me. Before they were sweet drawings and were reminding me my children books a lot... Now when I look at them I have some fear crawling into my heart. Would you believe me? it's true.
    For example this man with guitar riding a crazy cripple. It feels spooky for me. To say the truth, nothing is obviously scary about the image, but he sits in this awkward pose, and his figure and face carry something dementing about them. You know like some dimwit person, everyone is mocking him, laughing at him, despises him, kick him, but everyone knows, that they force, they will regret it.
    So... that what I feel looking at your drawing... allegory if you will. Slow working brains sitting above crazy, potentially destroying force, some primitive instincts. Expectation of disaster.

I like all your illustrations of fairy tales. I didn't guess right what fairy tale you chose, but it looks very scary as well. And mostly because of this feeling of madness. Light is falling silently, everything is grand and soundless. Unkempt. And then this strange creature is laying on the top of the long, narrow table... so unexpected. Feels like creepy nightmare as well, expectation of disaster.
    Ha! I wonder if my homeland gave you those curious feelings. I felt something of this sort during and after my trip there.
    No critique for you now, buddy, I'm looking froward to see more of those. they look different.
    And thank you for detailed report about your traveling. Despite that you were a tourist there, it felt a bit bitter sweet. Yep, that's a taste of Russia.
    You saw a lot, and I'm happy for you. Several Swan lakes... hehe. well anyways... it is some adventure. I read with interest your take and I'm glad you look at it with your own eyes. have your own thoughts.

You got me all curious about who is this 17years old master of the 18th century... hmm... Give me a hint. I like guessing games.

I never noticed the absent of modern art in my home country, but I guess you are right. And I start better understand myself after you pointed it to me.

Still, it is a bit strange to me that understanding of beauty can become old fashioned and need some catching up with time. Franky I don't want to believe in this. Could it be like a story with Picasso? young prodigy, he was doing wonderful figure drawings and was an accomplished draftsman in a very young age and then spent his life exploring drawings of children and trying to catch their mad energy... forgetting commonly accepted beauty.

Thank you again, buddy,
    hope to see more of your images soon.
    be well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sve- I'm sorry I'l reply as soon as possible, your post is very vast and helpfull and I need time to do it some justice by a proper reply.

So far, I've been working on a scool projekt. A comic called Long Live The King, in which the king inevitably dies. (he'l get eaten by the lady creature ). So far the first chapter and a Wip (underpainting), where I'm trying to tacke the subjekt matter into paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also some recent lifedrawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just came back from the Helmouth scetchmeet which was a blast.
    Finished Page 7 and did Pages 8 and 11 of the comic there.
    Besides the Thunderdome, we also had some lifedrawing going on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, you have a very nice sketchbook. i didn't actually check it until now but very nice works.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 408 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It was good meeting you again! You have some cool stuff in here! Lovely linework on the gun girl.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Members who have read this thread: 5