Sketchbook: Squareyard - Page 11
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Squareyard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    TheGnoll-thanks man, trying to be as diversatile as possible, can't concentrate on one thing though fo too long.

afklamer-Danke, man sieht sich, bin gespannt was von dir bei Jahresausstellumg zu sehen sein wird.

Stormcrow135 - Thanks, nice to hear that.

Here are some scattered thingies.
    First is a WIP, want to repaint it partially.
    Some experimental lifedrawings and an Illustration.

Last is a paint I really like. (I'm probably the only one who knows what it is about though, hope you can find sth. for yourself in it too.)

Attached Images Attached Images              
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those two where done by my girlfriend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some pieces for Illustration class.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great variety of styles you have here, keep it up!!

Cx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chermilla - Thanks, can't get myself an own picturelanguage yet though. We'll see what will come of all that .

A tiny update

davi is offline Administrator & Community Manager. Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,194 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice updates! Great livedrawings, as always.
    My favorite on this page is that one though:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1181567218

I just read the comment on top of this thread... see you at the next artjam

Quote Originally Posted by blacky View Post
    can't get myself an own picturelanguage yet though.
    not entirely true... On this last page I can spot a certain individual line economy that repeats over and over again. And I like it.
    What pen are you using btw?

▄▀▄▀▄▀■ - GORILLA ARTFARE - ■▀▄▀▄▀▄

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    davi-thanks man, glad to have you stop by

Zak-thanks for the crit&c. , yeah lineeconomy is sth. I'm working on and that's been paying off lately (partially laziness too ) The pen I use is a cheap one, it's black, has a (kappe) in the colour you like on top and it says edding on the side. The clue is, that the tip is shaped like a rectangle, so you may have small or wide lines depending on how you hold it while drawing. I'd love to go to next Artjam for sure. Perhaps I could convince some more people from scool to go there too.

Last two are supposed to be Don Quichote and Sancho Pancho. Windmills are yet to come

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alter, du rockst!

Sehr geil, sehr deutsch, sehr künstlerisch.

The "Fish"-portrait in post 305 is looking really good, my fav absolutely. Keep rocking, I'll be checking back.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jabo- Danke mann. So einen überschwenglichen applaus bin ich ja gar nicht gewohnt, vor allem nicht von Leuten die selbst voll gut sind. Aber, ...Deutsch?
    Was meinste denn damit. Wuste gar nicht das meine Ukrainisch/ Jüdischen Wurzeln für n bischen gotisch/ teutonische Sauerkrautatmosphäre gut sind

Here is some recent stuff.

Last edited by blacky; November 13th, 2007 at 05:14 PM.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello, my friend...hehe, did i make you doubt if you were too harsh in your last visit to my book?... well, you weren't. You were vague. You messed up my head and retreated... You should have stayed longer and give clear message of where the good taste stops and bad taste begins... I btw agree with you that my colors are joke, but you kind of surprised me that you let it go in Soul collector... where colors are as simple as they could be... Thank you btw for telling me that you liked this entry, you the third one who did... I liked it myself more than anything I did, probably becasue it is not my kind of theme. although I'm planning to comb brush strokes and colors a little bit there. But I wondered if I find someone who will see something good in it...

I don't know the recipe to make colors sophisticated just yet... I think the key probably in right values under it and in right consistent temperature in the whole image...When I was doing a copy Francois Boucher "Madame de Pompadour"" I noticed how many hues, tones of colors he used with the same value, to feed eyes, not letting them to be bored... He saw so many tones and tints of color... on the distance we ignore this diversity... so maybe it's not that important. In the contemporary art it is very often about first impression and becasue I grew up looking at subtlety of old masters it is a bit heavy for me to see...More of it I often hear advice to simplify and complains about values to be messy...And I understand it... but see so many examples of this not being an issue in artist work.

OK,,, you can see I don't have a clear vision about colors... if I understood how they work I would have been able to say it in clear form. I wish you told me wish examples of what is forgiven for you and what is too much taking my images for example or someone else's.
    What did you discuss with your friend? I wish I could hear your arguing...

About physiognomy... when you start to see people as types, life is getting extremely boring. And you can use those guesses... but don't lay too carelessly on them... I see human mind as a black box,,, you never know what's gonna peek out of it,,, something beautiful or ugly.

don't take it as a preaching or last word... I'm a student myself, you know...walking in fog.

OK, back to earth...
    How's life is treating you? hope everything is good and everyone is happy and healthy in your family and surrounding.
    I do like you life drawing a lot... sometimes I look suspiciously at them, they are on borders to be guilty of bad anatomy... but maybe it is chase for artistic expressions...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1181567076 here for example... count the heads in his figure... he lost one I think somewhere in the torso and legs. And he is slightly falling... but you know what.... you are starting to be very skillful with distracting you viewer with other features... it is your crazy. free lines... They flow like small and big springs, speed is huge and there is this self-forgetfulness in your drawings... all combines wonderfully with impression of foaming, curvy streams of water...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1181567114 this one is a very good example of how disorder becomes organized... your lines look so unpredictable, wild and uncontrollable...but in the end the form is truthful and figure is appearing from nothing. And I see the age, truthful physique and state of mind of depicted... I can even see her white skin and soft female fat under it. So those are wonderful... but I always feel tense waiting that you are about to fall into chaos in your drawings.

My most favorite will be this romantic hero:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1183921650
    Tevye the Milkman from Sholom Aleichem or someone else form his unlucky characters? I can hear this playful melody in my ears when looking at his skeptical face:"if I were a rich man, la-lalalala-lala-la..."
    I like this dialoque very much
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1181569663 although I again feel like I'm standing on shaky ground looking at those... it seems so ephemeral, like reflection on the water, easy to go wrong...I'm constantly having this feeling that you balancing on a very thin line here between harmony and disorder...
    Expressions are gold though, shy or indefinite in making a decision... very light and fine.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1181567218 I like this one too for strange feeling of drowned body,,, will less, soft , submissive... a bit eerie image. Weird how he descends to the bottom without resistance and losing watch, his belongings, and his life slowly...

I liked acrobats drawn in circle very much... all your art is like looking out of the box,,, fighting with banality and frozen mindset.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1183409229 Broccoli, no? That's probably what you were talking about... complimentary colors blue and orange looking more tasteful with swampy colors... I wish you would put more lacy lines to create round the clock motion and interest... not enough information to keep my eyes stay longer, i think.

Really like your girlfriend's paintings,,,that's a conversation with a viewer though soft colors and soulful faces... Very cozy and vulnerable.

About the composition made form the swirly parts.... well I like the simple one the most:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1185042449
    the rest is overloaded I think...

Don Quixote series... witty, i think, but it contradicts my own impressions of those two characters... They are lyrical, romantic personalities... altruists and space-cadets...everything mechanical looking and aggressive looking makes me reject it.

I stop here... hope you are good and all yours too.
    Bye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blacky View Post
    Jabo- Danke mann. So einen überschwenglichen applaus bin ich ja gar nicht gewohnt, vor allem nicht von Leuten die selbst voll gut sind. Aber, ...Deutsch?
    Was meinste denn damit. Wuste gar nicht das meine Ukrainisch/ Jüdischen Wurzeln für n bischen gotisch/ teutonische Sauerkrautatmosphäre gut sind
    Naja, deine Aquarelle und vorallem deine wabernden Linien erinnern mich so stark an Horst Janssen's Arbeiten. Für mich einfach der deutsche Künstler. Vielleicht auch weil er der einzige ist, dessen Stil mir zusagt.

Deins

Janssens

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sve- Here are 3 examples for good colour shemes, as far as I could tell. First is Bogomotov and others are by Morandi http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...tir/bogom4.jpg http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z.../431_1997S.jpg http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...r/morandi2.jpg . The colours are pleasing and don't bother or hurt the eye. I'm a fan of the later, just discovered him recently and am stunned how exciting boredom can be. Sorry I don't remember what me and Matvej, the guy I told you about where talking about. But I came to learn he's a bit narrow minded and arrogant. Perhaps that's why I forgot. He's real stubburn too, it's hard to even convince him he possibly might be wrong. So it's been really exhausting arguing with him. Basically he was learning about colours from the masters, like Matisse, Kokoschka, DaKooning, Turner and Rembrandt. Physiognomy, - you're right but I still consider it being very usefull though. It's also often used in advantage of the artist to let the people get a certain impression of the character. Thanks for the good wishes, my fam. is fine my brother is in Florida for 6 weeks now and my parents work a lot to pay off the house they are building till next year. I've been on vacation with friends. Lots of partying, boredom and drinking at a very small place coulple hours down south. Visited Dresden though. Beatiful city. Great collection of old masters. Vermeer impressed me most and Madonna by Raffael was swell too. Need to work ore though. Need lots of money till November so I hopefully could go for 2 weeks to india.
    Sometimes I simply am too lazy too get proportions and the like right, partially because I don't consider them to be important. Am trying to create sth, not merely copy it. Does not work all too often though. Have to admit that long-term works and perspective as well as proportions at times are great weaknesses of mine. Don't know Tevye the Milkman,sry, was merely doodling out of my head with inks. Had some 16th century Jew or sth. in mind. "Fighting with banality" might make it sound too favourable for me, actually i was going to do sth. very naive and trivial for the class I did those fighting circles for. But the teachers wouldn't let me . The fighters where still too comic-like and boring for them, probably because most are childbookillustrators. The Broccoli picture does not depict Broccoli, in fact its a picture I like a lot although I'm aware I'm the only one who can appreciate it to it's fullest, had an indepthful moment near a waterlens covered tarn. Felt like it was alive, though a stick at it and it looked like a wound, closing, not healing to the fullest. You are absolutely amazing at characterizing people by their pictures. Cozy and Vulnerable matches perfectly to my girlfriend. (took me a while to find out, took you only 2 pictures...) damn it. I have never actually read Don quichote heard a play one, ages ago. So I wasn't intending to depict the characters thruthfully. Had some ideas for some chreatures and decided they resembled DQ and SP. Yeah, bad excuse I know. Thank you a lot for your reply, till later.

Jabo- Ahh, Ok. Schätze HJ auch. Habe mich bisher aber nicht alzu viel mit ihm bevasst. Seine Farbwahl erschien mir zu antiquiert. Ala DDR-Möbel oder Biedermeierschlaafrock. Unter Deutschen K ist er aber sicher top.

Couple of Things I did. The outdoor ones where partually executed under rainy weather conditions, hence the weird look. The Van Gough -like one is a 7 min speedy after having had a glance at the orriginal. A good excercise from scool.

Last edited by blacky; August 19th, 2007 at 07:28 PM.

sve is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello, Andrej... thank you so much for showing me examples of your range of a good taste in colors, that is always interesting to see. I guess it is not easy for you to surf through sketch books sometimes. Most people here are in the other camp, I think.

I think I understand the attraction of the last two painting you offered me as examples...The loveliness in this rich white which is not white at all... Some blue, or purplish or gray or yellow, or orange are swimming in it, but very light, just to be noticed in some corner of our brains. That's meditation like. I wonder how many people will noticed this subtlety being so occupied with life.

Tevje the milkman is just what you described: A lyrical, naive character, a Moldavian Jew, but from 19th century, not 16th. That's not good you don't know his story, it is a classic, buddy. If you believe in reading people faces you should read some Russian writers, that's their strong side. His story is ironic and sad. Hard working man with wife, five pretty daughters and a cow.
    All daughters are healthy and beautiful and all gave him troubles: one married a Bund's extremist of 19th century and followed his hard fate. Another married a poor guy by love, but he left her a widow with heap of babies, another one married money, and lived half dead since that, the fourth one wanted to marry a Russian guy and wasn't not allowed by Tevje, the last one married a fraud rich who soon went bankrupt. That's a good story telling, in my book .

So ... it is fun how he came to your head and you doodle him... Fascinating really.

Water lens, when looking at little mountain lake (tarn) ... sorry, can't imagine it still. you tried to describe a water swirl, right? Claude Monet tried to catch this effect of rocks and pebbles on the bottom of the slightly moving water... see his water lilies, he put a lot of efforts in those.

Going to India, awesome... you know about their water, right? drink only from not opened before you bottle. There is some sort of bacteria which is not tolerable by tourists, but OK for local population.
    Heh, I read in one of my favorite book... in the 19ty century British gentleman traveled to India and wrote enthusiastically after few weeks that he started to understand the loveliness of this place... after months he reported a progress in accommodation to local life and style... After year he complained about some differences in mindset, and after many years of living there he wrote he doesn't understand this life at all. .

Now about art...
    I like the last three landscapes, and mostly for how you caught the sensation of fresh air, and nice feeling of cool, pleasant water (http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1187565298

and wind, streams of air pulled in certain direction: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1187565292

And shadows from trees in last one and the feeling of relaxed, disorderly life in camp.
    I like this feeling of sun peeking here and there, and silence, and comfort and wind and fresh air in the other two pictures... all this is very truthful...

Crits: values are too even and you have no control in your pictures,,, everything is very scattered and left to live on their own.. it gives an impression of scattered mind as well... I would vote for some sharper contrast and making a decision of what is domineering and what is submissive in your picture in sense of information and priority and depth.

Want to drag this one figure drawing once again,,, it is good:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1183715171

Her hips and legs and feet should be just a tad more massive, IMO, because of the bigger closeness to us... but overall, it is lovely and fast.

Bye, and be well.

Last edited by sve; September 5th, 2007 at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh my lord, sorry for not coming down more often (used to be asoir)
    your stuff is just so beautiful now, man.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1183921655
    and the picture next to it is just fantastic, your strokes are so solid now. incredible progress, im happy to see it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sve- I don't browse all that much through other peoples SB's any more. For various reasons. You stated one of them. The time to use ration doesn't seem to work that well any longer.
    Gere are links to those twins I remember telling you about. Matvej is the one I go paint outdoors sometimes and their Dad was my teacher for portfolio preparation for art scool.
    http://markslavin.de/
    http://kunst.ag/MatveySlavin/
    its in German though.

My mom was very pleased to hear that you're tacking care of my literature-education and invited you over. So feel free to drop in, next time you're within spitting distance
    I actually just completed on reading Tevje the milkman. I loved it. I especially was found of the authors Name Scholom Alejchum. That's very amusing i thing. I had some difficulties with vocabularies, like 1 or 2 per page. But my mom helped me "translating".
    A friend of ours is getting married. A jewish girl. I decided to send her that Tevje scetch along with some lines.
    The waterlens-pic is one that I painted for myself, without worrying about spectators, not about making a "pretty" picture neither. I liked doing so but am uncertain if that kind of monologue is of any use to anybody but me.

I have bad news, I might not be able to go to India.
    Because I'm planning on going to St. Petersburg in February too, for a month.
    So I'm not sure if I could afford both.
    My dad is a surgeon/ anasthesist, one of his patients is a former in-charge worker at the Eremitage and still has lots of connections to there. He was generous enough to offer me an internship in the Eremitage and the Russian Museum for 1 month. I really want to go, but I could do so only in February and no one knows if that guy won't change his mind till then.

That's an interesting anekdote, you're telling about India. Thx.
    Also it's quite helpfull to read your crits. I guess I need to record those thing on tape and listen to them any time I go paint, because I got told those crits repeatedly and little has changed. I'm trying though.

Hope you're well and am sending greetings from overseas.
    A.H

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ciots- hey man what happened to you? why a namechange? I thought you where proud of your postcount. Anyways I appreciate you stopped by. thanks.

I have been lazy lately, here are some scattered things. First are from an East-German village-eparty, lots of scinneheads running around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really enjoy all the experimentation you are doing and the willingness to mix things up. the watercolors are probably my favorites and your life drawing is loose and refreshing!! looking forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All right, its time to revive this thingy.

Newbs-thank you, I used to be more experimental. I'll be working on it again. Got too comfortable with watercolours and lifedrawings Need some different topics.

This first one, is from Illustration classs. After a shortstory called "Love For 17.5$" where a guy has a fetish for dolls. He buys a display dummy from a jew for 17.5$ to make love to her. His girlfriend fiends out and puts it to a violant end. (all stories we receive deal with boobs and stuff, mostly because our teacher's kinda voluptuary, he, he)
    Besides, I've been to India for (only) 2 Weeks. Way too short, but managed to do some scetches there too.
    The rest is kanda random and selfexplaining
    cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    he, he... +1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IT IS ON! (GRR OR SOMETHING)

and I suppose this is not the customary trash talk, but I like how you use colours in your sketchbook, very loose and bold.

good luck to you too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    octopus interphone -I'm so ready for rumble

some recent stuff,
    and hey,
    It's me!

Last edited by blacky; April 17th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow Blacky!!! Its you!!!

Sooo nice to put a face in an idea. I had in mind someone like your old avatar.. a mozartian face with mad hair.

Your recent work carries the same usual energy but it seems to me more under control?? very visible here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1195675484

and here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1195675521

as always, I love the agression you unleash with your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moin blacky ,

your life drawings are really impressive , your style looks like a mix of schiele and heinrich kley and still is yours.
    hope to see you at the " german workshop" next year , good to see a photo of your here so i know who to bugg on

keep it coming!

btw: my fave
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1195675521

aviable for fulltime and freelance

http://alexpascenko.blogspot.de/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u p d a t e
    some, partially experimental lifedrawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The russians are comming!

Last edited by blacky; April 17th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yesterday was one hell of a night. At our scool there was a Lifedrawing-jam from 20:30-til 3:00 in the morning. Crazy, and so where the models and the whole show.
    This is what came out of it.
    (poses where 10 min at the most, so at times I had to finish from memmory)

First 2 are the real short ones

Last edited by blacky; April 17th, 2008 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey blacky, very fine latest works, the last life drawings in particular have a lot of character
    take care man!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5