Prismacolor Marker Bleeding

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prismacolor Marker Bleeding

I'm using prismacolor markers on Strathmore Bristol board 300 Series Vellum and I'm getting a lot of bleeding. I'm also getting a lot of what I call highlights. I make a stroke and in the center of the mark it is much lighter like a highlight. Are these a product of the kind of paper I'm using? If so, what paper do you recommend and what techniques can you recommend to limit this?

The other question I have is how to blend with prismacolors. I'm having major trouble with this.

Thanks very much.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd recommend the smooth, hot pressed or plate surface rather than vellum, which is cold-pressed and I think is specifically designed for dry media. The Strathmore 400 Smooth or 500 Plate Bristol may work better for you. Thicker weight is handy if you use a lot of ink.

Prismacolors are alcohol based, so using alcohol or acetone should work for you. In place of a blend marker, a dried out pale grey marker, or even q-tip swabs work. Dip in acetone and blend away. Some prismacolor markers are wetter than others brand new, so if they dry out some they bleed less. You can get your best blends right from the markers by layering them from the start: back to front, light to dark, wet into wet, and you shouldn't need to add that much more extra blending.

Hope that was helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use a plate paper caled Silverblade its great for prismacolor markers and Ink. You could also try a thin sort of cardboard paper used in architecture models most of them got a plate surface thats great with markers. The cardboard is great for gallery art. Sort of what most popartist use for small printings.
    Good luck!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.