Hundreds of Head Studies - Blue are New
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hundreds of Head Studies - Blue are New

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hundreds of Head Studies - Blue are New

Not happy with how I've been drawing heads, I've decided to challenge myself by drawing 100 head abstractions in a short period of time. This goes along with the 100 Head Studies, 100 Heads and Hairstyles, and upcoming 100 Hand Studies. Anyone who wants to also take the challenge is invited to post their drawings here, also.

There are numerous head abstraction models and methods you can use. Pick whichever one seems appropriate to you. Mine is based on a few different types, but modified for my needs.

I can't tell you how much it has been helping.

I've combined the three threads into one, by request. Things won't be as clean-cut and defined, but oh well. I guess this will be the 300 Heads thread.

Added a few more pages of heads (the blue ones) on 11/18/05.

Last edited by ArtByZak; November 18th, 2005 at 05:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are my head abstractions. I'll keep updating until I've reached 100.

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dude, if you dont like the original thread idea, edit the title and content of that thread. dont start 238923 more. thankyou.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, each thread has DIFFERENT STUFF.

stoph is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    dude, combine it into one "Head Thread" and entitle each post accordingly, instead of clogging up the boards with something that could otherwise be consolidated. sorry, it just makes sense that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An admirable goal, but you're almost half-way done and I don't see any that really look up at the face (the face is always pointing down to level). I've seen it done where the head is turned in 10 degree (or so) increments from profile to profile and at different angles to the horizon. The way you're going about it allows a lot of lee way to remain in your comfort zone.

Just something to think about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good point, Dogfood. Most of these are taken from magazine ads or whatnot, and few have women with their heads looking up, but I will find some that do and draw them next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

100 Basic Heads

By request, I am adding the 100 Head studies thread to this one. Hope this doesn't clog this thread too much.

So here are my heads. I'll be updating frequently, until I've reached 100 heads. Hopefully others will pick up and carry the torch.

Last edited by ArtByZak; November 18th, 2005 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

100 Head and Hairstyles

Also combining the 100 Head and Hairstyles thread.

Here are some heads and hairstyles. I'll keep updating this until I've reached 100.

The goal is for no two characters to look alike in either portrait or profile, and not just because of accessories, but I'd like them to have different eyes, noses, lips, cheeks, head proportions, etc.

These ones are characters from my comic series:

These are the Wildcats. I just heard that Wildstorm is relaunching their core titles, and that Jim Lee will be drawing the Wildcats again, so it inspired me to draw them myself.

More of my own characters:

Not crazy about the hairstyles on most of these drawings (some don't even have hair!). I'll probably end up having to draw a few hundred studies until I start to get happy with hair. Ug.

This one is new:

Last edited by ArtByZak; November 18th, 2005 at 05:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Got more head studies than me right now! Keep doing more - faces are the focal points of a good character. Like to see some more "finished" renditions, perhaps with paint (or digital paint)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still need more angles - also, your females almost invariably looks like the same person over and over. Work on profiles and different face shapes - draw from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Nonie, I was going to say the same thing: even though you have done lots of different heads, specially in the female ones I do not see so much variation, seems almost the same person over and over.
    I don't know if you're using any references with different faces, maybe that would help you to get out of the pattern. Or like Nonie said (even better) work from life, its more difficult but you can learn more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The head abstractions are all from different people, but that's kind of hard to tell since I'm not focusing on the features. And all of them are model-types, which doesn't allow for all that much variation.

I intent to branch out into more varied female faces soon, but don't want to confuse myself learning too many things at one time. Stage 1 is to try to understand a "typical" head and the proportions and locations of the features, and where they lie in relation to each other. Then I will feel more comfortable experimenting.

The "head studies" post has a lot of similar heads, but I tried to mix things up a little bit in the "Heads and Hairstyles" post, though I know it can be pushed farther than that.

Back when I lived in L.A. Top Cow told me they'd hire me, but my women weren't "pretty enough" for Top Cow. I don't like hearing that I can't do something, so I try to improve in those areas. I'm struggling to understand the subtle nuances that take a head from "average" to "pretty" in the entertainment/illustration field. In the process, I hope to gain a stronger understanding of heads in general.

So yeah, I started out pretty basic. But it will get more varied as it becomes more comfortable. I've only drawn about 140 of the 300 heads so far, so there's plenty of time to expand more.

Soon...

Thanks for your insights, though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff. Nice reference too!

You doing well and I look forward to seeing more!

Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For more finished work, I have a thread over in the sketchbook section called "Loads o' concepts - creatures, ladies, and Star Wars" or something like that. Just updated it earlier today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtByZak
    The head abstractions are all from different people, but that's kind of hard to tell since I'm not focusing on the features. And all of them are model-types, which doesn't allow for all that much variation.

I intent to branch out into more varied female faces soon, but don't want to confuse myself learning too many things at one time. Stage 1 is to try to understand a "typical" head and the proportions and locations of the features, and where they lie in relation to each other. Then I will feel more comfortable experimenting.

The "head studies" post has a lot of similar heads, but I tried to mix things up a little bit in the "Heads and Hairstyles" post, though I know it can be pushed farther than that.

Back when I lived in L.A. Top Cow told me they'd hire me, but my women weren't "pretty enough" for Top Cow. I don't like hearing that I can't do something, so I try to improve in those areas. I'm struggling to understand the subtle nuances that take a head from "average" to "pretty" in the entertainment/illustration field. In the process, I hope to gain a stronger understanding of heads in general.

So yeah, I started out pretty basic. But it will get more varied as it becomes more comfortable. I've only drawn about 140 of the 300 heads so far, so there's plenty of time to expand more.
    Sounds like a plan.

If you're aiming for pretty woman, this link might help: http://www.beautycheck.de/english. It sorta gives a general outline of the features that are most likely to be considered beautiful. Otherwise, you can just draw the type of girls you find in Top Cow comics - that way they can't complain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the pointer. I'm not going to work for Top Cow. While I was in Los Angeles, they were the logical choice, and I got to know some of the people there, but now that I'm in New York, Marvel or DC seem more logical. Though, DC doesn't review unsolicited submissions anymore (lame). Top Cow likes their artists to be local.

That website looks like it has good info - I've bookmarked it, but the Daily Show starts in 7 minutes, so I don't have time to go into it in depth just this second.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Added 4 pages to the "Basic Head" entry, and one to the "Heads and Hairstyles" one. They are blue for easy reference.

Re-reading my Loomis books again. Those of you who don't know who Andrew Loomis is should really find out. His books are great, and you can find them for free online with a Google search!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.