C.O.W. - #028: Swamp Beast - VOTING!!! - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your fav! Regarding the topic!

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • MIKECORRIERO

0 0%
  • Saise

0 0%
  • goran

2 2.11%
  • possessed

2 2.11%
  • scumgrinder

7 7.37%
  • silentkitty

9 9.47%
  • DarkArtist

0 0%
  • Cique

0 0%
  • misledtomisery

2 2.11%
  • Althael

0 0%
  • bdfoster

1 1.05%
  • nightfend

3 3.16%
  • br0ken_spirit

0 0%
  • khan

0 0%
  • xgabo

3 3.16%
  • gorillagrin

10 10.53%
  • JakkaS

25 26.32%
  • bumskee

8 8.42%
  • penguinbox

1 1.05%
  • Digisaur

1 1.05%
  • ViolX

0 0%
  • VegasMike

5 5.26%
  • redehlert

1 1.05%
  • llothcat

0 0%
  • romance

10 10.53%
  • Nefarious

1 1.05%
  • RES

3 3.16%
  • rasdasa

1 1.05%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the props, Gorillagrin!
    Cheers,
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,429 Times in 152 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think I am going to flip a coin between gorillagrin and silent kitty.. I just can't decide!! arghhh!!

other awsome entries, Mike C, always constantly pumping things out. Scumgrinder, nice style dude. Jakkas, nice as always, I would have voted for you bang straight if only it didn't resemble "massive black" entry so much.. romance, eeeek awsome stuff as always everyone, let's keep it rolling and thanks to those who mentioned me, greatly honoured.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work all around! I voted for gorillagrin because I like the overall design...it has a personality.

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VegasMike VOTE!
    Though the concept is not as wild or creative like some others your creature design is the one which comes close to what i expect when hearing "Swamp Beast"...also the rendering is fantastic...You got my vote man!

Other favs:

romance
    I want two votes to give, right here right now...absolutely brilliant concept, writing-style and rendering....i am very happy you entered, it's a fabulous enrichment...i want to hug this "beast"

JakkaS
    what can i say no one mentioned yet? Your story is super creative and fun to read...congrats on the idea...Keep it up...

silentkitty
    hehe, this is a cool idea and i like the artwork, it's all working very well together...

gorillagrin
    Very cool entry! Love the tired expression of the creature, which fits perfectly to its life style and your concept...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gorillagrin this time, just love it!
    Great stuff: Mike C, silentkitty, JakkaS, bumskee and romance!

--(-)|dE--

portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'd vote for silentkitty, JakkaS, scumgrinder and a few more (all had interesting concepts (pic/txt)), but there's only one vote, so it goes to... uh...*hidden GM roll* ~oooh interesting. Ggagagh, don't peak!

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gorillagrin has my vote. Great character and story. It is definitely the most interesting of all the swamp beasts posted, only because it stands apart from the rest. Although the quality of the drawing itself was not the best of everything posted, the quality of the concept is by far my favorite.

My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for JakkaS for overall design and rendering, despite having a similar creature for the Massive Black COW.

I thought Possessed had the best description and Mike Corriero the best color and composition.

Runners up: Scumgrinder, Gorillagrin, SilentKitty, Redehlert, Bumskee

Thanks for the votes and nods everybody, Swamp Hippo appreciates it.

I really had fun doing the COW, I look forward to doing more. I thought everybody who entered did a fantastic job; there is definitely some stiff competition here. Also, Kudos to Fozzybar for running it so well.

-Rob

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the vote Fozzybar! This was my first COW...I've done the DSG for a while so I enjoyed having the extra time on this. I hope to participate every week unless I have too much work. Comments/crits always welcome...

Possessed...When I wrote "Lion of the Swamps" I meant the apex predator of the swamps...Thanks to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tough call. i was torn between gorillagrin and res.

but in the end i voted for gorillagrin. love the creature's expression.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    VegasMike
    Ok, you asked for crits and you are right, i forgot to write something down...
    Actually there is only one crit to your entry...i don't know if you did it but it really looks like you went overboard with the contrast or layer effect of overlay on the creature...less would have been more in this case...

As i mentioned work on a more original/creative concept next time...

The webs with their translucent look are the best part and perfectly rendered, you know i am a sucker for transparent elements

On other minor crit, which is totally personal is that the face looks too much like a human face...something more unique and i would have voted for you....

....hmmm wait....i DID vote for you....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can I get a critique of my entry? Granted it has problems, I did the whole thing in a day. I felt it worked as a concept at least, but maybe it stinks. I don't know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digisaur, I thought it was a pretty cool entry but one thing that brings it down a little is the combination of a very static and symetric head shot with a very dynamic body motion. Basically the background with the tail suggest a very dynamic eruption from the water whilst the foreground with torse and all looks more like it's resting on it's branch. my 2c.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Digisaur
    ok my thoughts on your entry...basically there is nothing wrong or bad with your entry...only a few things to improve to get to a really kick-ass entry:

- pose is nice, rendering is good

- creature design is kinda boring, looks like a classic reptile

- some interesting areas on the creature like a flashy red throat which is used for mating would make the design more interesting and give the concept more depth...there are some red/purple areas but it looks like a shy try of giving the coloring more diversity...go for the extreme, punch the viewer in the face!

- canvas is cropped to much, give the little fella some air to breath

- i don't know if he hits the water with his tail or jumped up on a branch out of the water or if a wave of the ocean splashes beneath him, in any case the creatures surface could use some shininess and water drops running down the body

- the part of the concept where you say the creature has an intolerance to sunlight, but also sleeps at night confused me...i would have expected it being nocturnal...no biological problem being not nocturnal but it would make your creature more interesting...

these are the firsts thoughts which came to my mind and they are only my opinion so other people will see it different...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What fozzy stated I totally agree with, also what sort of throws me off is that the light on it is warm and so it seems to be out in daylight, but if it hates day taim\e, then what the FU&( You're lying to us! It isn't rendered all that badly though, but the extremely strong outlines around the fingers don't work, it flattens them and doesn't help make the figure feel planted. I like the belly, that's done well enough. Teeth are sort of weired too, they seem to be coming directly from the lips.

ras

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow great feedback, thank you!

Yeah, I don't know why I didn't take the sunlight thing out. It didn't sound right to me either. I had a feeling it would hurt me.
    As far as the visual feedback, I'll definitely fix the image for the portfolio. That is after I finish The Tentacle. I have a new idea I hope to have up tomorrow to get feedback earlier.

Thanks again.

[edit - D'OH! Nightfend had the same idea I did.]

Last edited by Digisaur; November 15th, 2005 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted for Jakkas largely in part due to the clever story that accompanied it. Obviously the artwork stands well enough on its own, but the combination of the story and the well rendered creature was enough to gain my vote.

Live each day as if its your last, because it might be!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jakkas - a thought just occurred to me. Since a lot of peeps don't read the text (although yours was sweet, much like Helzon's is), how about if you put in a small measurement bar to give a sense of scale. For instance a 1 inch bar = 1 mm.
    Food for thought.
    Cheers!
    D

There is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "i" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team...~Shaun "Shaun of the Dead"
    http://www.cognitionstudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by possessed
    BDfoster, I really like the design of your creature but I would have liked a slightly more rendered background.
    Thanks Possessed! I knew that was going to kill me-- in fact, that's my own biggest crit of the piece. I'm still spending too long learning the digital painting and not enough time actually painting, so I really just had to call it quits where I did on this one. I'm working on a little more finish to my work, and hope to come back strong in a few...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jakkas - a thought just occurred to me. Since a lot of peeps don't read the text (although yours was sweet, much like Helzon's is), how about if you put in a small measurement bar to give a sense of scale. For instance a 1 inch bar = 1 mm.
    Redehlert, I will think about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    had to go with VegasMike's beasty (tho' 'twas a real shootout with scumgrinder's) mainly for it's decidely predatory poise. scumgrinder's gutsy (for this subject) ice-cream-parlor-pastel rendering is super, but its teeth look too unfinished to me, so it made close (very close) second. kudos to Digisaur and gorillagrin, good renders, interesting concepts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, Fozzy Why U closed the pole so fast?! I had problems with my browser and didn't vote.
    This time I wanted vote for silentkitty – I like your idea of this creature.
    Other favorites: scumgrinder: xgabo: romance (only thing I don’t like is the idea of predator eating plants, water lilies – but its great painted).

BTW, thanks for any comments and votes. Didn’t expected U will like it so much!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, JakkaS, i didn't close the poll earlier than usual...every time i start the poll-thread there is an option for when the poll should be closed automatically...i always make it 7 days...so it's the same time span as always...

congrats btw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know Fozzy. But I hate to be late.

Thx btw

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1