Got rejected by Epilogue 2 times, HELP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Got rejected by Epilogue 2 times, HELP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Got rejected by Epilogue 2 times, HELP

I got this picture that I just finished, but when I upload it on Epilogue.net, they reject it saying "anatomy needs work". So, I rework it and it did contains some anatomical error, but when I upload it again, it got rejected again, this time with "need minor touch ups". I got really confused, since there are alot of detail, and I can't possibly rework them all. I need a suggestion about where to look for that mistakes. Did you see them?

I need some critics and opinion about this picture, so I can rework the mistakes.

The picture itself is about a really shy forest dryad/nymph.

Here's the picture before any rework:

and here's after the anatomy rework:

Thanks,

Banu

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, it's hard for me to guess what they mean, but I think the feet and toes still need some work (even though I can see that you did improve them quite a bit from the first version).

The foot on the right-hand side of the pic looks a little small and squished, and the other one could use a little cleaning up and better definition of the toes.

I think your lighting is very nice, though the face looks a little flat to me. It is almost all the same value. You could use a few lighter values like you have on the chest area.

best,
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The eyes seem a little too far apart, and the right one is too large compared to the left one, regardless of perspective.

Is your monitor properly calibrated ?http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=55012
    The colors, especially the dark seem a little too washed out. Everything is sort of okay but just doesn't seem finalized. There doesn't really seem to be enough saturation in certain part of the figure, sucj as the hand, especially when juxtaposed with that bright yellow ring. Also, compositionally those trees in the background are extremely bring. They are simply just vertical/straight and receeding. You should have twisted them up sort of like you did the one in the foreground, for a more interesting composition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well im new here but i have been a artist figure drawing and all media painting for 20+ years the hardest things to conquer on the human body would be the hands and the feet in fact most artist dread those portions of the body...work on the hands and the feet... and the face is a lil flat or (2D) work on the shadows they make a world of difference when youre trying to achieve 3d paint look.

~phenix

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To me the skin looks a bit smooth. You could give it some texture, that might make her look less flat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some say that a good or bad face can really change the perception of any character ( people is used to look at other peoples face right away, to create a social database)

Her face looks starnge, not only the eye, when i looked at it i noticed something like a void ( weird uh?) it doesnt seem to belong tho the rest . but only from my point of view.

Aslo i really liked the way you made the leaves in the backround,those are maybe to good for the rest of the picture, nearest tree looks a little unfinished, and the dryad´s lap to ( there are some leaf´s shadows that should be a little more hight contrast in there IMO)

Hope it helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my eyes went right to her face. her nose doesnt seem to be in line with her eyes and the lighter bottom lip looks more like her teeth like she's sucking her bottom lip or something. I swear the first person I thought of was Shelly Duvall as Olive Oyl in Popeye. Sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Like a few others have mentioned, the features of the face could do with being worked on. The left eye (her right) does'nt look in poportion with the right one. It looks like its kind of floating off the side of her face. The nose looks slightly to small, things of that nature.

Some areas could be more defined, like the leaves of her dress are blurred into one another. Also the top edge of her top and her skin are both quite pale, and so they blend together. Contrast between the two would help that ease.

The rest of the image is quite perfect though. The backround can't be faulted imo. The little details like the flowers in grass and foreground, the chain of flowers around her neck and her hair are exellent.

Good Luck with the submission !

We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do think that the background and all those nature elements are quite perfect like flatliner point above.

However, a few things jumped at me when I looked at it. Her left hand needs more work, It seems she's grasping a rounded object, rather than the side plane of the stone she's sitting on. It's slightly higher than the stone and it looks weird if she's using it as a support aid. The fingers also look too short?
    The left knee looks weird to me, it seems that you misplaced the anatomy within it, and it looks more like what my teachers used to call bee stings.
    The two feet got better from your rework, I like where the right feet is going, but her left seems a little broken, it should be more curved in the position. It feels that she has a very flatfoot, bring a little light to it to show the curve of the bones in there.
    The face does feel very flat and squarish. That right eye should curve around that face, instead of being straight, and the the nose and the lips should pop out more (maybe you could try bringing a little touch of red in your colors to bring them forward?)

And where the leaves attach to her lower waist, you still have it very fuzzy and blurry, and it contrasts a lot with the amount of details that you currently have in the other parts of that leaves-dress.

Anyway, Keep on working on it, I'm loving the whole feel of it! Great job.

I saw the flowers die
    grand beauty turn to dust
    under wings of cold white death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Done with the Retouch

Ok, done with these things:

Redone the whole face
    Retouch the hands and feet
    Sharpening the definition on feet
    Increase the contrast (yep I forgot to calibrate my monitor, but now it's just fine) thanks rasdasa, that'll save my life someday
    Add some detail to the tree in front
    Editing the ligher part of the background

Do you think I should try to repost it now? What do you guys think?

Last edited by Banu; November 12th, 2005 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add "Do you think I should try to repost it now" sentence

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ye gods that's so much MUCH better *applause* her middle finger could use just a little more definition but I think you've nailed it.

I forgot to mention I love your palette too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the branches and leaves in the upper left are too high of contrast and drawing the eye from the focal point. a simple gradient layer constrained to that group would help pull us back in. ...either desaturate or darken or both...it just sticks out too much at this point...great job on the latest rework!

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done with the minor things jubilee and ApolloNuevo said. Ok, here it goes.... I upload it again on Epilogue. I hope mods there got the same opinion *finger crossed*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one minor thing, the far knee (her right knee) seems to be twisted too far away from us. Her foot is twisted so the heel is away from us, that would tilt the tibia slightly towards us, which would twist the knee slightly towards us too .

I'm trying to mimic the position of her foot and knee, and I'm finding I can only do it if I force it, putting a fair amount of stress on my ankle.

Other than that it's a really great picture, the latest improvements you've done are great!

Don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the knees are in stress, you see, she's trying to escape (i told you it's about a very shy dryad, that explain the expression in the face also)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi,

wonderfull painting!!

the last revision looks good to me.. go for it!

~Carol

check out my art work at: http://www.carolphillipsart.com

My cafepress shop:
    http://www.cafepress.com/carolphillips

Check out my printfection http://www.printfection.com/carolphillips

Check out my zazzle! zazzle.com/imperess*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Fantastic. The face is much improved, her expression comes over a lot more clearly, and gives her character.

great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I did it! Here's the link
    http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database...ew.pl?id=89939

Thanks guys, you are the best!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sweet, glad you stuck to it!

ras

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    congratulations, its good to see all your work paid off. 8)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got onto this thread a little too late to help but I'm glad to hear the re-work did the trick for you. I noticed huge improvement in her feet and hands particularly. Really, I'm just posting now to say I was a little surprised that the original didn't make it in, but since the latest version is much better I guess it all worked out!

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.