Art: Comedian Caricature
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Comedian Caricature

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comedian Caricature

This is a recent digital painting - I started it when I FIRST was into digital (few months back) and recently touched it up and finished it, mostly to get it over with. I'll be giving this to the comedian... in case you don't know him, it's Brian Regan... on my birthday. It should be fun.

Anyway, I started with a pen-sketch, scanned, toned then rendered with some basic "brush" brushes on top of the drawing. I wanted a bit of a motion/blur/stageglow effect going on, and I think it's okay.. not amazing, but okay.

I'd love to hear some feedback on it.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude~ That is funny, I was just watching him on TV. Great work. You caught his likeness and facial expressions perfectly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    personally i would tighten up the leading edges of motion and only blur the trailing. then for the stageglow effect make a new layer, paint all the hottest highlights on him, gausian blur it and make it into probably either a screen or overlay. probably want to paint that w/ yellow w/ a white core.

excellent emotion though. this is superb.
    kudos
    -apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ApolloNuevo
    personally i would tighten up the leading edges of motion and only blur the trailing.
    Definitely. The color and drawing aspect are great, but it's obvious you still haven't quite found your legs with the digital painting. Too much fuzz, too much digibrush texture for it's own sake.

So, your giving him a present on your birthday?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Recognized him instantly. Great work on the facial expression.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot.

Apollo, Elwell, you are absolutely right. I don't want to go with the Blur Filter, however - I'm trying to utilize the action of 'painting' and not digital shortcuts - I realize that it's there, and I know how to use it, so for commissions and time-sensetive deals, I'll use it, but for now, this is for me.

I may go back and re-work a bit - if I do, I'll repost. On my monitor the trailing/leading edges and glow areas look far more subtle than others - I've run AdobeGamma and setup my monitor to be "print-friendly" and accurate - I'll take a peek on the lcd display and see - but I think those washed areas are a bit to dry. This, again, is an 'early' digital piece (somewhat old) and I'm still having issues with brushes - I find what I'm comfortable with, but objectively it looks boring to me... that's something I need to play with more. I'll start another digital portrait/caricature today and try some stuff.

Yes, I'm seeing him at the HardRock LIVE on Nov. 19, coincidentally, my Bday and I've emailed his management this image - they are excited and gave my group and I free backstage passes to give it to him (and may work a deal for his website and promotion, with this character!)

Anyway, good observations - be harsh and keep them coming, if you've got them.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You used this one as photo ref ?

Nice job !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No, but that's him. My reference was from his DVD, "I walked on the Moon" - I took a still using a free trial program of the .mpeg on my pc. (still can't figure out a good DVD/Mpeg screengrabbing process!)

It was a VERY low-res image, and I used different shots for the face/torso and his arm, but from the same clip. The background is from the same dvd, but I left out the brick wall - he's a curtain-kinda guy!

I'm noticing that my tendencies on this one were due to the struggle of hard/soft edges - I feel I'm doing guesswork on this aspect of painting (both with oils, acrylic, and digital).

If anyone has some insight or tips on hard/soft edges, I'd love to get a little lesson, or at least some tips.

Last edited by Geuseppe; November 7th, 2005 at 12:46 PM.
    JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think, if you know who he is then he looks like him, but if you dont then you cant really tell the resemblance, I think you should try and acentuate his features more. Its still a good peice, but it only looks like him if you see the refrence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you have the reference? - I don't mean to sound protective, but this looks like him... I don't develop a piece past a sketch if the likeness isn't there. This is one aspect of my art that I am fully aware of, and likenesses are key - this one looks like Brian Regan.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ElvisMcVegas
    I think, if you know who he is then he looks like him, but if you dont then you cant really tell the resemblance,
    ...Huh?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe .. that's what I thought. Well, to put that to rest, I'll just say that I sent this to Brian's manager, Rory Michaels - he's his best friend (for 22 years) and he said that he's seen literally thousands of caricatures of Brian, mostly fan-submitted... some were from very talented artists, yet he claims that mine is the first he's ever seen that "really got him".

So I don't mean to sound arrogant, but the real critiques of value are that of composition, technique, color, rendering, painting method, etc... (much like apollo and elwell's, above - thanks again, guys)

I appreciate the observations, Elvis, but I'm also not sure I understand.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was able to tell who it was immediately. It's an excellent likeness.

"you can eat whatever you want!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not to sound like a fanboy, but Joe's not bragging when he says he knows likenesses. I did caricatures with him at sea world for 3 months, and it's frustrating and creepy how consistently on-point his likenesses are. I've never seen anyone do what he can do.

Paint's still an issue though, of course. Looks like you're trying to create form in the shirt but just never finished it. It's partly the drawing, like how in the shirt you've got some straight lines where more curved lines would communicate form better (like the cuff of his right sleeve. From our perspective it might look like that in real life, but this is a painting. In the painting it looks like a rectangle with a gradient on it). If you look at the ref that Zergaloth posted, you see lots of subtle curves, even in the more angular folds. If you're going to make the folds intentionally angular, you need to be extra careful in showing the form or it'll look unfinished and awkwardly flat. The lighting feels warm on his face, but not on his shirt (again, it might look close to that in real life, but this isn't real life). And, of course, the brushstrokes feel too photoshoppy, but you've learned that since you did this way back when.

Elwell posted a little sticky about edge relationships that's kinda cool. It's worth hunting for. Keep it up Joe!

Andrew Murray
    Concept Artist, Tencent Boston
    www.theincredibleandy.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! AWESOME!!!
    still if you would only define the contour of his body it would be even greater

Bovis est!

Leeroy (n.) - 1: One who does not grasp the concept of caution; 2: One who likes chicken; 3: One whose battle cry consists of their own name.

Sketchbook, click it or you'll hear from me 'till who laid the rails!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Yellow One Is The Sun!

That Rocks! I recognized him right away and laughed my ass off. I'm glad you didn't say who it was in your subject. I didn't know who to expect.
    I don't really have any crits that haven't already been touched on. I don't really see a problem with the picture as it is now.
    Bravo.

Let us know if Brian likes it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha yes!!! i too recognized him straight out! brilliant job, tighten those edges up and youve got a winner!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys - I really need to get a feel for a process with digital painting - I'm jumping around between drawing live caricatures, sketching in pencil, painting with oils, and digital work. They can have such different processes and approaches, that I'm having to take a little extra time to gear up for each. I need to develop a feeling for digital and you all here are so good. Any and all continued crits are always appreciated. I definitely need to get rid of that over-brushing going on in this piece... next time.

JoeBluhm.com
    RejectsTheBook.com
    joebluhm.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahah ! Awesome resemblence, you captured hes attitude perfect.
    I was sytematically going through the threads without reading the titles. And straight away though hey that look like Brian Regan. Blind test for you.
    very cool.

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, outstanding. I couldnt help but laugh when the image loaded...in that case i guess your project succeeded eh? Great job!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.