Flying WIP

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Flying WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Flying WIP

Hi, for this artwork, I'm trying to portray "flying in harmony with nature." Its a work in progress, and here are some progressions. I'm kinda struggling with this, I would appreciate any critiques.
    Flying WIP
    Flying WIP

I'm probably going to rid of those stripe things and blend them a bit. I'm trying to go for a color thats in alot of Ryan Church's digital paintings, which I think is pretty hard since I'm working with trad. medium. btw, CRITS are very welcome. I would appreciate any that you have, I'm turning this in next WED!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Consistency in rendering the balloons is your biggest issue. You should be using reference photos and a stencil, if need be.

I would leave the stipes at the bottom, they provide an impression of lift and movement through the air.

As for copying Ryan Church's colors, you're not Ryan Church, so it doens't come off well. Too many hues, and not a complementary color scheme. The reds against the greens against oranges is jarring to the eye, and drags is to that spot, instead of letting the view roam around the piece, in spite of the overal flow of this piece.

You still have time to make some corrections.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow! this is pretty cool, I got a critique by mabster, a super Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores. This is my lucky day isn't it.
    Flying WIP
    Ok, i repainted the balloons like you said, I think there were significant problems with its lighting too. And I tried changing the problem with the too many hues. I really took some reference for the colors, I dulled many of the colors down so that composition would be more basic and centralized. Oh, and I dulled the balloons so that they wouldn't be so "jarring." I think its almost finished, but it really lacks something..but I'm not sure.
    the theme is "AIR SPORTS AND NATURE IN HARMONY" -- so should I add more hang gliders/birds or something, to express the theme better? Someone commented it looks like WWII poster or something.

Madster, thank you so much for the critique, you really guided me in a nice direction. I tried to do my best to follow your advice, this assignement is very important to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh dear..the balloons look worse than before huh.. uh oh. * fixing *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Balloons

I just don't care for the composition of this piece, and the colors are dragging it down to mud, quickly.

This is a very rough rework to give you some food for thought. I didn't want to paint too much sky or details, because I only want to show you another approach, not influence you too much.

~M

Attached Images Attached Images  
    I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an interesting piece, or certainly has the ability to be one, but I agree with the comment on composition. There are too many elements at work here that are all vying for attention and space. Try paring down a little, taking unnecessary elements out, building up elements you want to keep, or that are essential to the composition. Consolidate!

You could reference World War-era propaganda paintings where the iconic figure (your eagle) is more an element of the background than it is a solid figure on its own, majestically rising out of the clouds, etc. etc.

Out of curiosity, is the landscape in this image on fire? If it is, you could also try going for more of a sunrise feeling, something a little less... perilous.

It looks good... keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    madster, thank you for the comments again. I took a look at the reference pictures you sent me, and I made some changes of the ballons. I noticed that the ridges get smaller towards the edges ( a careless mistake for overlooking that) and that the top is different too. I changed it as best as a could. As for the muddle colors, I've did a slight repaint and tried to add some warmers colors.
    Regarding the composition, yes, I also felt that it was kind of cluttered, I guess I had a bad start or lacked a better plan. Your paintover is pretty insightful, I can see how much potential the piece it could've had if it had more free space. However, I'm not sure what to do with your comment. *shrug* Unfortunately, the piece is not digital and I can't move things around -- I'm turning in this piece tomarrow.
    Corrick: I've added some elements to make the picture more "cheerful" and sunrisy. Kinda like those disney movies. Regarding the eagle, I've incorported some elements to integrate the eagle better into the background.
    Flying WIP
    Corrick and Madster, thank you so much for taking your time and commenting on my piece. I really appreciate your help and tried to follow your advice to the fullest extent, but due to the deadline I'm leaving some things as is and calling this piece over (in a good way). Thanks.

btw.. do you think I've overdid the white stuff.. cuz i can take it down easily.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good. It is a sign of strength to know when to call a piece "done," and simply move on to the next one.

Best success with the assignment, be sure to let us know the grade you receive, and any comments the instructor gives!

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by madster
    Good. It is a sign of strength to know when to call a piece "done," and simply move on to the next one.

Best success with the assignment, be sure to let us know the grade you receive, and any comments the instructor gives!

~M
    Oh yeah, thanks alot for the help. My instructor told me to change the hot air balloons a little (I really don't think I'm good at drawing those and I submitted it for the John Wayne Airport art contest and I got grand prize! I got an airline ticket, two tickets for a mighty ducks game, a autographed baseball by Bengie Molina, a free 5 week air workshop at Laguna College of art and design, 4 tickets to a Science Discovery Center, and this plein air artwoot (which I already had) ! Wow, they give such random prizes... but I'm still stoked. Thanks again!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.