Art: Small Bestiary Project - 3 Illustrations

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Small Bestiary Project - 3 Illustrations

Hi there! I usually don't post in this section because my skills are way back from the norm, but I just finished this small bestiary project and I think I made progress with it! Critics or things to keep in mind for my next pieces are welcome! Illustrations are traditional Acrylics Ink on Canson paper with some photoshop secrets addons Thank you!

Those 3 are my contribution to a bestiary team work in basic illustration classes. Our concept is pretty simple, we established 2 clans, the bad and the goods (how original) and defined logo's for them. From that on, I chosed the ground forces (others had air forces and underwater) and went with my imagination and made all them mountable. This was a lot of fun! I'll try to catch other ones work to post it next.

If you want to check the WIP : http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54276

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you got some nice elements going on here. The compesitions are nice. The second peice is my favorite. I just wished you pushed the animal concepts further, they are too much like regular animals, especialy if that was the focus of the assignment? With the elephant peice, the flags need to be blowing in the other direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your first two peices are awesome. I do have a problem with the last one, though. Aside from what smitherines just said, is that a baby elephant or a giant is riding him. No normal human can ride a full-sized elephant like that.

There's nothing better than dinner and CSI.
    Latest Showcase
    Noi's Sketched Up Creations
    3thumbsup

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think it's safe to say that they are no giant spiders either noiion, hehe. prob a giant

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
    - Henry Louis Mencken

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally awesome stuff man! I like the red on yellow!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first one is decent. the last two are very lacking. it's the lack of a 3rd dimension being portrayed (too much profile) and the obvious lack of serious animal anatomy study and good ref. the giraffe's neck is too high up imo to be running and the drapery and tail/hair is very distracting from the very light values in the rest of the piece. the elephant one looks like a kid's clay model as far as anatomy goes. the rendering in it'self is not repulsive...but color over a bad drawing is still a bad drawing. the dust clouds and overall sense of 'not enough time' on that last one are very detrimental.

-apollo

Those who make religion their god will not have God for their religion.

Thomas Erskine

Crit for a Crit: My Online Sketchbook of Super Power Fun

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Smitherines : Thanks for the reply and the crits. I'll keep in mind to push more imagination on my next beasts (Those were my first real attempt with animals, maybe i did'nt studied them enough to push more). About the flag direction i'm not sure, I wanted to illustrate a stong wind blowing in the back of to slowish elephant, maybe I did something wrong in the piece and my imagination just don't come right. Anway thank you.

noiion and audioslavekane Let's just say it's a giant orc riding his baby-trained elephant I knew I did it big but did'nt realise how bad it was. Thanks

renaissancekid : Thanks for your words!

ApolloNuevo : I bit hard but thanks for beeing fair. I know those are not what this sections expect but i'm always in the WIP and I thought those were good enough for a first step in the final section. Studying the anatomy is my next goal believe me Your right about the last one : I spend less time, actually painted it with a toothbrush...(I'm 90% traditional art / 10% PS) but I went for atmopshere instead of the animal itself. Anyway thanks for checking.

Members who have read this thread: 1