View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite Tavern In The Trees!

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • hurricane

13 13.98%
  • Oregano

0 0%
  • koshime

6 6.45%
  • AndrewLey

36 38.71%
  • Miau

2 2.15%
  • goran

8 8.60%
  • Badger

0 0%
  • Jokisalo

0 0%
  • Odds

0 0%
  • bRØk3n_sPiRiT

1 1.08%
  • rushtoy

23 24.73%
  • yAdam

0 0%
  • Pootle

0 0%
  • Calle_

0 0%
  • bengonzalez

0 0%
  • Hazamataz

0 0%
  • bumskee

4 4.30%
    Thanks

E.O.W Round 3: The Tavern In The Trees - THE BIG VOTE!

E.O.W Round 3: VOTING THREAD

TOPIC:
    The Tavern In The Trees

Deadline For Voting: Saturday 12th November

Please vote for your personal favourite artwork from this round. Please remember that your vote should reflect an equal weight of aesthetic impact, adherance to the brief, and idea development.

Your votes will be public.
    Please help strengthen the activity by leaving criticism for the artist you vote for, and for any other artworks you can manage!

posting thread: closed

-----------------------------------------------------------------

hurricane

Gator Vardshus - Where all your fantasies come true (now with a "private" outdoor corner)

oregano

koshime

I call this tavern - Deadwood, as its built from the carcassses of nearby shipwrecks and driftwood/marsh trees, which represents a way point/trading house/entertaintment for the two cities - Valyan (situated high in the mountains, producing rare crystals, glow orbs, precious stones and gems) and Nustar (the thriving merchant town adjacent to the swamp land)

AndrewLey

Miau

goran

Badger

Jokisalo

Odds

bRØk3n_sPiRiT

Set high above the trees, the tavern between the two swamps is a place of relief and replenishment for tired travellers

rushtoy

yAdam

Pootle

The tavern in the trees is renowned for its acrobatic aerial ‘floor’ show, which leads even those who do not have business in the city to the swamp. Rumour has it that some of the girls are in fact mischievous wood nymphs, happy to lead over-eager punters a merry dance through the maze of aerial walkways, losing many of them for days.

The heart of the tavern is ‘the tree’. Grown strong over many generations of the proprietor’s family on the enrichment to the poor swamp soil provided by the slops from the bar (and other bio matter deposits!) Now as it begins to hollow it forms a grand cellar that may one day become a magnificent dance hall.

Many believe that the tree moves around the swamp, the proprietor encourages this rumour, and is developing it as part of his marketing strategy (pushing over the sign showing the way to the distant cities of Eraat and Follin was his latest initiative). This initiative has been highly successful as all passing travelers are obliged to call in to find their way, but of course he could only assist his patrons.

Calle_

"deep down in the jungle stands a little cottage. this little house has everything a man could ever want, bitches and rum. but since not many people do long journeys along this path it usually ends up with long nights for the hoes and bartenders, this ofcourse has been going on for generations so the results of this long going inbreeding, you can guess the rest."

bengonzalez

On the planet Terra II the overseeing world government has a restriction on flight. this has force the many state to find ways to traverse their ecology to transport supplies across very harsh environments. One such example are the swamps of the state Vacelios.

The swamps of Vacelios cover much of it's central region and to get things across a network of highway suspension bridges have been created. One enterprising man built a rest stop area along the line. The stop is widely known for it's policy of catering to the many and varied tasted of the people coming through. From drugs and sex trade to just a place for families crash for the night on their long travels, "The Tavern In The Trees" tries to acomodate them all. Now after a decade of being the only stop along the route others have started to be built along the way. To compete with the new establishments the owner has begun an expansion from the original building on the tree trunk of a massive ancient Cypress to it's branches. Two areas have been completed and work has started on the third such expansion. These renovations add an openness that the original fortress like building does not enjoy.

Hazamataz

In druidale forest, nature feared for its own exsitence.
    It saw that with number of merchants and travellers passing through each day, it wouldn't be long before a road would cut through its heart. So in answer it grew THE TAVERN IN THE TREES. This tree learned how to create the finest ale's from the bog water it soaked up from the swamp. It also learned how it could make a fair bit of money from it as well, finding it could splash out on luxuries like the tastiest compost, and root warmers.

But now the flame of greed has been lit, its literally tearing down all the competion with its mighty roots, saprolings have been known to resort to petty pickpocketing of the patrons, and theres word of these mysterious taverntrees beggining to shoot up all over the kingdom.

bumskee

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Round 4 is on here

Thanks
    i voted for andrewley - the characterisation, the narrative told by the figures and the chairs stacked on the tables, really portrays the narrative of the topic - the competition between these two taverns. A beautifully executed painting also.

Good round guys!

Thanks
    I just wanna hang out inside andrewley's painting. The only problem I can see is that there's no way some other tavern could compete with that. Hah... great design.

Runner up would be rushtoy, has a fun sort of retro-star wars feel. Also enjoyed hurri's, koshimes, and bumskees. Nice job to everyone.

Thanks
    I voted for andrew, because overall it was beautifully executed...only minor point is i dont recall bamboo like trees grown within any swamp structure, they are normally of the thick aerated vine version, trees with air roots or the mangroove kind. Otherwise, best piece ever!!!!!

Also liked bumskees, yadam and calle's version alot...
    Dr CM Wong
    Director
    Opus Artz - Digital Art For The Entertaintment Industry

Affiliations:
    International Association of Astronomical Artists | Aerospace Medical Association

Guillermo_del_Toro: Viva WETA and the many "toys" they make! And may Cthulhu give me more shelves to put them on...

Thanks
    Great stuff everyone

I voted for Rushtoy because I really like how the viewers eye travels down the path to arrive at the tavern.

Thanks
    voted for andrew, awesome painting =)
    liked rushtoys alot too.
    Self-improvement is masturbation, Self-destruction on the other hand....

Thanks
    andrewley gets my vote
    you really hit the topic, and its beautiful!
    - Miau

<<<sketchbook >>>
    <<<gallery >>>>>>

Thanks
    I vote for Goran's piece. I think he managed to capture the swamp environment and the structure looks like it has had many expansions that where not intended to be on the original structure. I would like to see an explanation for the structure being in a swamp and for all of the different modifications that have gone it to it.

Andrew's is a nice environment but it just doesn't feel like a swamp. It could be set in any heavily wooded area

rushtoy's is also a strong piece but there could have been a little more detail placed inside all of the space beyond the tavern. Not so much as to ruin the atmospheric perspective but just a little to suggest a swamp.

bRØk3n_sPiRiT: I can't seem to load yours properly. It may just be on my end but the image just stops loading and stretches. I tried to open it in a new window and it does the same thing. Then I tried to download it but Preview won't open it.

Thanks
    Tough choice between rushtoy, hurricane and andrew ley. I voted for rushtoy in the end because I love the composition and the perspective. I would have liked to see some more details on the tavern though... more elements to look at for a while.

And yeah, I wanna hang out in Andrew's tavern too.

EDIT: bengonzales, its loading for me, so I don't know what could be wrong. Don't sweat over it though : P

Thanks
    My vote goes to bumskee. Really nice colours, style and atmosphere! Liked hurricane's and andrew's too.
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Everything broken said, rushtoy's JUST made it for me.

Thanks
    i am in love with hurris piece, but andrews is orgasmic.

Thanks
    I voted for Hurricane because it just looks too adorable !
    Lots of other nice ones too! Well done everyone!

Thanks
    I chose Rushtoy because Andrews felt more... Lush, as opposed to Swampy.

Hurricane: Your's appeared to be almost a really wet desert kind of look, because there is only 1 tree! x_X

Koshime: Once again bro, yours is more war like than anything else. You seem to be comfortable with chaotic warm colors, but I think you use them too often when not necessary. This piece (IMO) Looks better when duller, darker, and cooler tones are used, as opposed to warm, rushing oranges and bright highlights. It was a very good picture though, it jsut didn't do it for me.

Thanks
    Rushtoy ftw.
    Great composition and nice amount of detail.

Thanks
    My vote goes to AnrewLey for 2 reasons : the point of view in the picture and the chair on top of the table

My second choice would've been goran.

Thanks
    As much as I loved Rushtoy's piece for many reasons, I voted for Andrew. His piece just nailed it. The composition, narration, and design just speaks louder than words.

Great entries all around.
    Shawn Adomanis
    www.shawnadomanis.com
    Sketchbook

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!" – The Wizard of Oz

Thanks
    haha, is it just me or does rushtoy's remind anyone else of that one forest level in the first Donkey Kong Country?

Thanks
    The more I look at all of these the more I think that mile-high trees, walkways without guard rails and alcohol shouldn't mix. Might serve as a nice form of population control though.

I went with Andrew's because it provided the most complete picture to me, giving a good sense of interior and exterior in one image.

Thanks
    Koshime for me, I really like the sense of atmospheric distance. AndrewLey and Rushtoy were both very close seconds.

ras