Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Left Handed Artist?

How many left handed artist do we have here?
    Do you find your work to be better than that of your peers, because you supposedly use the right, more creative, side of your brain?

Right handers youre allowed to get on this too, if you so please.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    people who are left handed always look really uncomfortable to me when they write or draw.
    solo de errores se aprende
    y hoy se que es tuyo mi corazon
    mejor te guardas todo eso

Thanks
    I am. People are surprised when they find out I'm left-handed, what's so intriguing about it anyway???

Thanks
    more people are right handed than left, it's just an interesting little difference.
    i think there are also some stories and urban legends etc about being a south paw.
    solo de errores se aprende
    y hoy se que es tuyo mi corazon
    mejor te guardas todo eso

Thanks
    one of my friend is a lefty and he's way better than me, he likes to draw somewhat realistic drawing and his imagination just comes out freely, anywhere anytime even in the middle of the jungle while we are all covered in mud after army training.

i tried drawing with my left hand as they say the left side of your brain is where is more 'free" and not really into "logic".

was kind off trippy, i kinda drew anything i imagined off but yeah it turn out shitty but it was trippy. like no "blockage"

Thanks
    Patdzon:
    Well, in history left handed people have been persecuted, shunted by aunts/ parents. Forced to become right handers, basically because being left handed is seen as a bad thing. In several languages left is the "bad side" usually in old tarot cards satan is seen using his left hand. The angel that fell from the left side of god, S.. something.. that was replaced by Gabriel fell from the left side. Its connotation is usually bad.

Maybe people find it intriguing because about 1/10th of the population are left handed in writing.
    BTW
    Just because one is left handed when writing doesnt mean that, person is necessarilary left handed handed.
    Some quips about being left handed is that it will give you advantage in sports because your style will be different from what right handers practice to, giving you the upperhand.

Sour:
    They probably look uncomfortable because youre not used to it yourself, im left handed but I write my right hand also. I believe the other hand should be just as well trained as your "dominant" writing hand. I have conversations between my right and left hand, and I can write backwards with my right hand so that if you look into the mirror itll read out perfectly. BTW Im left handed and I feel totally comfortable, although when I write with my right hand I feel a bit uncomfortable, mainly becuase im not used to it.

Thanks
    I'm a lefty. I know way more creative people who are plain old right handed than lefty. I think i read somewhere that the whole theory about right side / left side of the brain isn't really true anymore...i think the article stated that its sort of a misconception and that they're finding new things that go against that orginal notion.

Although, I could be very wrong about this. For all i know, it may have been a dream i had about me reading an article about the brain.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArlandoBattle
    Patdzon:
    Well, in history left handed people have been persecuted, shunted by aunts/ parents. Forced to become right handers, basically because being left handed is seen as a bad thing. In several languages left is the "bad side" usually in old tarot cards satan is seen using his left hand. The angel that fell from the left side of god, S.. something.. that was replaced by Gabriel fell from the left side. Its connotation is usually bad.

Maybe people find it intriguing because about 1/10th of the population are left handed in writing.
    BTW
    Just because one is left handed when writing doesnt mean that, person is necessarilary left handed handed.
    Some quips about being left handed is that it will give you advantage in sports because your style will be different from what right handers practice to, giving you the upperhand.

Sour:
    They probably look uncomfortable because youre not used to it yourself, im left handed but I write my right hand also. I believe the other hand should be just as well trained as your "dominant" writing hand. I have conversations between my right and left hand, and I can write backwards with my right hand so that if you look into the mirror itll read out perfectly. BTW Im left handed and I feel totally comfortable, although when I write with my right hand I feel a bit uncomfortable, mainly becuase im not used to it.

oh cool! I also heard it means "sinister" hehe.

Although I consider myself 100 percent lefty, I use my right hand for more private purposes ahem.

Thanks
    Im left handed. My work isnt great, but im the only persone in my entire high school (2000 students) that draws...

Thanks
    I'm right handed, though handedness is only one consideration when you're determining the dominant brain-side (which is a thing I'm a bit skeptical of anyway.. I'd need to look into it more). You also have a dominant eye and a dominant leg, both of which for me are my left. I use a left-handed bow for archery because my left eye is dominant. Haven't found any practical thing surrounding dominant leggedness, but then I'm not very sportive as a rule so if there were something, I probably wouldn't know about it.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    I do most of the things with my left hand (drawing included) but I just can't do with it, like cutting my nails or armwrestling...
    I also know a lot right handers who are way more creative than me..
    '...men must be free from
    boundaries, patterns and
    consistencies in order to be free
    to think, feel and create in new ways'
    [Sketchbook]

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I try to use my left hand as much as possible. Also for drawing. But i am right-handed.

Its amazing to see how my dexterity and control of my left arm increases with training. Its still an ongoing experiment, but i think that after a year of doing this i might be able to use my left hand just as good as my right. (atleast close to it..)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tully
    I'm right handed, though handedness is only one consideration when you're determining the dominant brain-side (which is a thing I'm a bit skeptical of anyway.. I'd need to look into it more). You also have a dominant eye and a dominant leg, both of which for me are my left. I use a left-handed bow for archery because my left eye is dominant. Haven't found any practical thing surrounding dominant leggedness, but then I'm not very sportive as a rule so if there were something, I probably wouldn't know about it.
    Hey do you know you also have a dominant ear, its just harder to determine I believe.
    In sports all these come into play, help determine your balance, how well do you on the track team stuff like that. I just think its really interesting.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 755 Posts
    I'm left handed. It might be true but personally I don't find my work better because of right side of brain.

Thanks
    I knew a dude he was left handed
    when he was writing from right to left with a fountain pen,
    He was smudging all his words up you have to hold your pen in the air
    or hold your pen like a crab with your elbow over the paper

Thanks
    I'm a lefty. My Wacom is on the left of my key board and my mouse is on the right. I can actually use both at the same time... well, not exactly the same time, my computer hates that.

I'm more ambidextrous then a particular handedness I guess. I typically explain it to people as: "I do intelligent things with my left and brute things with my right".

Most things I can do with either hand if I practice a bit with the non-common hand for the task. However there are a few things that the left just wont do. I throw like a prissy little girl with my left but I'll throw a baseball through your face with my right. I eat and write and draw with my left, use basic hand tools with either (except a hammer where my right is superior). I swing a bat and a golf club with my right. Shoot a rifle right handed. Shoot pistols with either hand if I have two, right if I have one. My right punch is about 10% harder than my left but I can fight entirely left handed, switch at any time.

When I write I turn the paper 90 degrees so my hand is below my writing.

Only my right hand ever gets Rosey.
    Peace, Love and Harmony... I could never get them all into bed at the same time!

Thanks
    Personally, i was forced to become right handed.

But the myth is kinda weird, creativity is in no way related to movility, the brain just sends info about how to move your hand, creativity comes from how you proccess the information you resieve trough your life experience........think about it, it would also mean that really good artist cant walk straing, or if you lose your right eye you will beceom more creative, same if you are deaf of one ear.

I think is a bs myth...when it comes to brain power, i think is much more complicated that right side/left side...as well as creativity is more complex than how good is your art.....becuase when we talk about art you have to consider that is not all about having imagination, it also requires a high level of undestanding of color, geometry and logic in general. So the truth is, your brain does determine how your work will come out, but is not all in one side or seccion, is the entire thing.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Personally, i was forced to become right handed.

But the myth is kinda weird, creativity is in no way related to movility, the brain just sends info about how to move your hand, creativity comes from how you proccess the information you resieve trough your life experience........think about it, it would also mean that really good artist cant walk straing, or if you lose your right eye you will beceom more creative, same if you are deaf of one ear.

I think is a bs myth...when it comes to brain power, i think is much more complicated that right side/left side...as well as creativity is more complex than how good is your art.....becuase when we talk about art you have to consider that is not all about having imagination, it also requires a high level of undestanding of color, geometry and logic in general. So the truth is, your brain does determine how your work will come out, but is not all in one side or seccion, is the entire thing.
    Yes I agree with you totally.
    Thats a shame how you were forced to become a right hander. Have you ever seen a psychologist? Or is it not that big of problem to you?

Thanks
    People who are left handed live on average nine years less than right handed people

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aesir
    People who are left handed live on average nine years less than right handed people
    Thats near correct its kind of skewed.. they only say that because studies show that as the population gets older the amount of left handers severely dissapear... its either one of these factors. The people go pure right handed, or yes they die earlier.

Thanks
    wouldn't that be cool if you could draw really well with both hands. You would get a drawing done so much faster and it would be like watching a freak show, lol.
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ArlandoBattle
    Yes I agree with you totally.
    Thats a shame how you were forced to become a right hander. Have you ever seen a psychologist? Or is it not that big of problem to you?

Well, the only problem is that i hold the pen in a strange way, because i need extra support from my pinky......it sorta was because i used to write letters and numbers the other way around, they sent me to a councelor when i was around 5 and i guess part of the problem was that i was left handed, that or it was just a " well, as long as we are here" situation.

As other myths such as longevity, that is shady too, does it consider cause of death? style of life? enviroment?......to generalized to be a solid fact.

But a fact about left handers is that they should be carefull when using dangerous tools designed for right handers, like a chainsaw .

Thanks
    I read on a wall of a toilet once that 9% of people are left handed, and exactly the same is true with monkeys...

Just thought I'd share that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DuneFishUK
    I read on a wall of a toilet once that 9% of people are left handed, and exactly the same is true with monkeys...

Just thought I'd share that.

Uhh I think thats incorrect. How do you think they test monkeys handedness monkeys cannot write.

Thanks
    The toilet never lies... did you know that a banana is not a fruit? It is infact a herb.

(sorry - stay on topic people..)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by poise
    wouldn't that be cool if you could draw really well with both hands. You would get a drawing done so much faster and it would be like watching a freak show, lol.
    Not unless you can concentrate on two things at the same time. I'm sure not even a woman can do that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Left handed people die earlier because of right-hand scissor accidents.

As far as the drawing with two hands issue goes, you cannot focus your eyes on more than one general area. (or, atleast I cant..) But when you draw with both hands, continuing each line with the other hand, and drawing paralell lines, you work much faster! symmetrical shapes (that arent too complex) are also really fast, since you can draw both sides of say.. a lego character, if its not to big. (it cannot come out of focus, if the drawing areas get too far apart, youre forced to focus on just one of them. Guessing with one hand never leads to any good.)

(oh, and why a lego character you say? well, it was the last thing i drew using this method. )

Thanks
    Chalk up another lefty.
    Right eye dominant, though. Which is handy, regarding archery, as near no one has a left handed bow.

Also, funny thing, a few years back in 6th form art, all bar about two were left handed... <Cue X-files music>

Currently, I plan to spend the summer training my right hand to be a ninja assassin. Or at least write real good. And as a result get back into some sort of calligraphynessness...ness.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    It's not a myth.

If you're left handed the right side of your brain is dominant, otherwise it's the left side (generally). Atleast according to this guy. Basically, the right side of the brain is a hippie on LSD (random), whilst the left side is a suit guy who irons and folds his towels and sorts into perfect piles (logical and predictable).

I can see how an artist may benefit from both sides though, since the left side understands patterns and other logical stuff that is needed, but there's some studies that show that art people have a higher chance of being left handed. There's also examples of people getting more creative after suffering from a stroke which made them use the right side more.

However, I guess it depends on what art you're into. There's a lot of artists who paint pretty pictures without being creative (CGtalk *cough*).
    Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Our instincts is to read from left to right and top to bottom, in western culture. My drawing seems to reflect that as well. I seem to draw from left to right and top to bottom.

If you are left handed and you draw from left to right, it would seem your left hand would cover up your drawing on your left side?

So actually, being left handed wouldn't seem to be an advantage to me.

[Edit] I also find it strange I relate drawing to reading.....I think weird.[/Edit]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast