Thread: Need help...

Thanks

Exclamation Need help...

Well im 15 years old and i been drawing since i watched pokemon O_o thats how i got into anime i started to copy drawing ask and others etc, i then stopped around 13 and in my early 14 i started again most inspirations from Naruto now and then i started to see concept art for games such as Red faction 2 and FFX so i tried at it and its proving quite a challenge if anyone can just help me point out my weakness and how i can improve.

Didnt pick art GCSE because the amount of coursework i seen my mates from the higher years have to cope with and i dont like coursework and im pretty happy i made that decision - i see my mates working on their works untill the early hours of the morning.

Can you help me?

heres a picture took me about a hour or 2 to draw alittle rushed.
    - having problems uploading anyone tell me how to make the picture size smaller? the file size by the way.
    Last edited by amagawd; November 4th, 2005 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Link for image

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    you dont wanna pull all nighters for your art, you might as well quit now....

Thanks
    As in Coursework like writing and stuff typing up evaluations or drawing pictures of still life which i find really boring -.- But for the art yeah ill probobly do all nighters if i manage to not awaken my parents.

here is the image:
    Need help...
    Dont be too harsh ^^

Thanks
    I hope this isn't too harsh, but you've posted twice and I'm showing that your post count... it's like, zero.

That's just weird.

Thanks
    I think his right hand is too small, and his right foot is at an unnatural angle for the pose. It should be pointing a bit more towards the viewer, and sloping downwards a little. Otherwise it looks pretty good.
    Sketchbook support group #7
    Andorz
    Koshime
    Number_6
    Slash
    Mike Frank
    Haldor
    BDFoster
    Gloominati

Thanks

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    I hope this isn't too harsh, but you've posted twice and I'm showing that your post count... it's like, zero.

That's just weird.
    It may be just me, but I've noticed today that some threads aren't being "bumped" to the top when they get posts in them, could be related?

Anyway, on topic, still lives, although you may find them boring, are pretty much a staple of any art course you'll take. The best way to learn the basics is to draw from life - I understand you're probably only interested in drawing characters and stuff, but you have to learn the rules before you can break them. ; ) Unfortunately, the "boring" stuff is really the best way to learn, and doing it will improve the stuff that you really want to do a hundredfold in the long run.
    My Sketchbook
    It's when you can't hear the bats, that's when the bats are coming.

Thanks
    You like the cartoons, just like most people your age, not art, dont wante your time and study instead, this is not for you .

How do i know that for sure?

-You find art boring, you said it yourself, you will have to learn about the "boring" stuff eventually, so if you dont like it is not for you, it doesnt get any simpler than that.

-You like how cartoons make you feel, you like to be part of their world and you like to imagine different situations with those characters, as well as different characters for those situations. That doesnt mean you have to draw them, you just feel compeled to, like anybody else who really like to "watch" cartoons.

-You jusnt dont buy a hot dog and trow away the bread because you dont like it, better buy something you really like.

This might be harsh, but is as real as it gets.

Thanks
    Give the kid a break, I'm sure more artists start out that way. There's nothing wrong with just once in a while drawing for your own pleasure, in time he could get as passionate as most on this site are about drawing ... or not,which is fine as well (except it's not fun to give advice to someone who counters everything with 'yeah well, but ...' ).

My point ... lifedrawing and still life are not all that interesting to draw (speaking for myself now) ... until you realise that those forms are the same forms as what you really want to draw, just slightly altered ...that there is a certain beauty in those every-day-forms, which make them inspiring to draw ... you just have to learn to see it. And you learn by drawing, and spending time with other artists (like here), and draw, and read books by inspiring authors like Hale and Speed and Nicolaides and Loomis (and so on, there's a whole thread with inspiring books somewhere around). And draw and think about drawing and draw.

Amagawd, do a search on similar topics, this question pops up every week ... check out the sketchbook section, see how others practice and what advice they get ... start your own sketchbook ... draw ... and have fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NightVision
    Give the kid a break, I'm sure more artists start out that way.

Probably starting a fight here, dont mean to, but maybe they shoudn´t start that way, we are overflowing with people that want everything the easy way, we are overflowing with people that think that because they like playing games--> they have to make them.

Is not about drawing for your own pleasure or not, is about curiosity, is about love to take a pencil and draw something, what ever that might be.

Every kid that watch cartoon wants to draw them, and wants to learn an easy way to do so, how can you differ people with real vocation, who probably WILL also draw their favorite cartoon characters aswell?

How to spot a good newbie:

They make to many lines, they start with shape, you can see their copy books full of random patterns and quick sketches, they draw and make drawing their priority, even more important that studying sometimes, or more important than going out.

They also attempt to make a number of catastrofic experiments regarding shape, light and even perspective, they look like crap but you can see how they try.

In the entertainment world, all jobs look cool. Music bands, acting, dancing, drawing, painting, modeling, etc...therefore is something everyone wants to be, but only becuase it seems cool. Thats a problem, and is getting bigger.

A person with real vocation is easy to spot, the fact that he find everything else regarding art as boring is a clear clue that he just like toons, if he grows up to be an artist, he will become a slacker, he will study less than the average artist, he will attempt to go into the bussines and get fired, it has happended before and it will continue to happen.

As i said before, if you buy a hot dog and trow away the bread, you probably need to buy something that suits your taste, becuase you wont be able to add any spices to that hot dog, you will never know the taste of it, and a sausage is just not enough to satisfy your hunger.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    You're dead on, Shamagim, but you are shouting into the wind.

The vast majority of newer members (thankfully NOT all) can't even complete most of the sketches they upload, far less render completed works with efforts at correct Anatomy, Value, Background, etc...And they always have some good reason behind their lack of skills, and dismiss most suggestions for improvement.

But for the truly serious (of which there thankfully are), figure studies, still lifes and actual drawing practice, boring or not, are simply part of the journey, and you never see any reasoning or excuses, just drawing efforts.

amagawd, if you can only draw anime characters after all this time (pokemon? 5 years, now?), you definitely are not on the right track, but hey, feel free to prove us all wrong, get and KEEP a job in the gaming industry for a couple of years, and feel free to rub our noses in your success, okay? Just don't be surprised if some of Shamagim's predictions prove true...

~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    I'm studying Model Design and Special effects. Cool eh? If all goes to plan I'll be sanding other people's castings for at least the next five years, and the most glamourous bit will be telling people down the pub what I do all day (and night). Cool eh?

Thanks
    Well I am a 17 years old german dude and so I read your post about 3 times and I still cannot believe it....
    You want to improve without working, that's weird. Thinking that some stuff is boring to draw, like for example the still lifes, you have mentioned, is totally okay but to simply refuse to draw them is WRONG! Maybe it's even the wrongest thing you can ever do.
    If you really wanna learn how to create art then you have to realize that you need to LEARN to do that, it's like learning to write or to read, learning to draw is nothing special, it's all about learning, learning, learning. And as you surely know, learning can't be always fun, there are always some things that you might find boring but if you want to learn how to draw and if you want to get a job in the industry you MUST apreciate everything, even the things that are hard to do or 'boring'. But if you keep that attitude and keep drawing that 'fun stuff' only then you wont neither get to know what creating art really means nor get a job in the industry, that's the truth and honestly, I don't believe in a possibility to become a good artist, like madster has mentioned, if you keep going this way.
    Learn to apreciate art in all it's facets and you are on the right way, since every little spark of improvement starts inside your brain.

Good luck
    -----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Erm... i dont plan to do this for a living. More off a enjoyment thing but i feel better about it if i can get more help from people who do do it for a living i never really implied im going to make a career of this, art is not a talent of mine i just simply want to be better at it im in a band as a drummer but me and the others just play for fun and i want to draw for fun and your negative comments are really not helping and it seems that your making this community negative about are like you must study and think of art as a career and not follow what you see on tv aint you supposed to be promoting art? so what guy like me see's some anime cartoons likes it and has a go at it and likes it comes on here and your making them feel like they should have never even thought about it in the first place.

Thanks to the people who actully read the title and gave me some pointers and i am thankful that the community here is not THAT bad i will do some research on anatomy and practice proportioning my characters.

And erm Dune your doing 3d design? That like CAD? ive been reccomended to do 3d product design because im considered one of the best in my class for 3d product design on Pro Desktop 8 ^^ but 1 more thing... Why did you post that?? seems like it has nothing to do with the topic ^^

madster, Erm... ive never really actully tried drawing anything else except when i was in secondary school and my art teacher was an alchaholic and was pretty much drunk all day and then i changed school and even though it was a art & design based school KS2 classes only got 1-2 lessons a week and they were like okay practice drawing still life untill you have to pick your GCSE subjects blah blah and my year really didnt care about school standards and when we were year 10 the years 7's and 8's complained to the school year 9's soon followed that their art lessons were crap and they got to do better stuff like modelling abstract art etc and i was alittle annoyed my mates from the higher years just convinced me thats its alot of coursework and i put it as my second choice if i didnt get into drama or music ( you cant do drama, music AND art for some reason here). and im not the mocking kind of guy if i somehow get stinking rich id probobly wouldnt shove it in your faces and say "HAH look at me you said i couldnt but i did!" id just let you find out yourselves but the chances of that happening is like 5%.

Thanks
    Last edited by amagawd; November 15th, 2005 at 03:59 PM. Reason: adding some stuff :P

Thanks
    well, that sounds like a fair ambition to me. Yes, this forum can help you. All you need to do is practice like everyone else. whether you want to draw professionally or as a hobby, the process of improvment is the same. Take your time to browse through the forums and look at other peoples work, read the comments others have given, learn how they improved. With enough practice you will be able to teach yourself all the things you need to know.

Don't take any post above as negative. they're all valid points, so don't brush them off so quickly.
    We'll ride the spiral to the end, we may just go where no one's been

Thanks
    At your age, you should just have fun and not think so much about this stuff.

If you are an artist at heart, we don't need to convince you to do anything to better your ability. At 13 I was doing life drawing at the local university because i really wanted to learn, there was no question. I was not romanced by pop culture like you are, i loved to draw.

At least half my friends who have no artistic ability now used to draw at your age, and used to draw the same kind of things you do (only relevent to the times).

Don't try to be something you are not, just do what you want to do. Tomorrow you may forget about this drawing mess and be fascinated by something else.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amagawd
    Erm... i dont plan to do this for a living.
    Well, when you mention that you were considering art school, what else is everyone to think? Why go to art school if you don't want to be an artist? Unless you have a lot of money. That would be nice.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by luxun
    you dont wanna pull all nighters for your art, you might as well quit now....
    Nuff said.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I think (though I'm not sure) that Dune's point is that you have to eat shit for a good long while before you get to the good stuff. Whether or not that's why he posted that, I think it's a good point he's making. But, though you may or may not feel like it right now, you're quite young and have plenty of time to figure all this out. Like, your whole life.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Well put dave. No need to stress over this at 15. Just do whats fun.

We stay up all night drawing because its fun, as much as we may hate it sometimes, it still brings us joy.
    My work: [link]

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.