More stuff, need help to make a decent portfolio :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: More stuff, need help to make a decent portfolio :)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More stuff, need help to make a decent portfolio :)

Hello

Heres some new stuff, continuing my studys on procedures plus magical creatures among other stuff to assemble a nice portfolio.

Troll:

Hags:

Gnomes:

Guille dhu/ Brown men/ etc ( is almost the same concept for every forest protector that is not a dryad....long arms, dressed with the foliage, thin, etc)

Thats all for now, hope you like it, still working on some errors and studying about color,etc. Thanks for looking

Last edited by Shamagim; November 22nd, 2005 at 08:06 PM. Reason: title
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the Gnomes. Although the purple lighting around him is a little strange. Judging from the dim purple on the wall, it shouldn't be that strong around the gnome.

I like the hag designs too. The third image doesn't seem to work with a cold blue background.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You really to improve your skills at rendering feet. Every one of these chumps out with vague, blurry, somewhat toed lumps, except for the guy with shoes. Round toed shoes, you do pretty well...

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, the purple light is way off, ill try to do something with that, and ill see what i can do with the backround.

Aslo, i made the feets that way in that particual pieces because i wanted to center the attention in the upper seccions of the characters, where the spot light is aiming, and for the one in the bottom to make the hand to come out more, that doesnt mean i canīt render feet.

I though the trick was to place details were you want people to look; Somehow i might not have acomplished that because of my unexperience, but if theres any flaw in your comments Master is that you forgot to wander about the purpouse of the artist making the piece, sometimes mystakes are un porpuose, and sometimes they arent.

Either way, assumptions are not nice .

Last edited by Shamagim; November 4th, 2005 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamagim
    Aslo, i made the feets that way in that particual pieces because i wanted to center the attention in the upper seccions of the characters, where the spot light is aiming, and for the one in the bottom to make the hand to come out more, that doesnt mean i canīt render feet.

I though the trick was to place details were you want people to look; Somehow i might not have acomplished that because of my unexperience, but if theres any flaw in your comments Master is that you forgot to wander about the purpouse of the artist making the piece, sometimes mystakes are un porpuose, and sometimes they arent.

Either way, assumptions are not nice .
    Ah, but Shamagim, are you not making assumptions about your audience in presenting a work with this level of rendering.

Are you not assuming that the viewer will credit you with the ability to render decent looking feet, even though not 1 of the 8 images displays such skill?

Are you not assuming that although you willingly admit your inexperience, the viewer will then credit you for skills you are not displaying?

As for any interest or curiosity regarding the purpose behind these pieces, you again assume that the viewer will look past the poor rendering skills enough to wonder about the purpose behind the images...With only a single background or environment to place any of these characters, there is really nothing to spur interest about the "backstory" for the rest, as you would have presented it, or an explanatory paragraph when you posted them. Since the entire collection displays no decently rendered feet, as a viewer, I made the rational assumption that your technical skills must be lacking for something as basic as feet, and anything else regarding this collection either was not designed (such as backgrounds), or was never intended for serious completion (a common occurance of 90% of the works posted in SWIPs).

You are quite right, assumptions are NOT nice, particularly when it is the artist making assumptions about the viewer's ability to clearly discern what it is YOU are trying to convey...It's YOUR "responsibility" to communicate clearly enough through your technical rendering skills, not the viewer's to innately understand what you were intending, and the quality you are capable of, even though you don't display it. That type of recognition comes only after many years of paying your dues, such as when Matisse, in his later, was reduced to cutting large abstract shapes out of colored paper...

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, sorry, my ego is growing and i have been kinda grumpy latelly, didnt mean to upset you, but i ended up taking it out on ya without realizing.

Anyways, again sorry, ill try to get everything fixed by today, to compensate for my impertinence.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Part of being a successful artist is a big Ego.
    Part of being a successful person is overcoming it...

No harm, no foul.
    Go paint me some feet...

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The world needs more titty monsters ... keep having fun, man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Round 2

Here are some updates, fixing not only the problems that came out before, also fixing some general problems, like my always costume to make characters in a flat backround, or my lack of story telling hability.

Not there yet, but ill try, though im very satisfyed with the troll now.

The purple light is fixed, hopefuly:

And hag updated, not done yet, but i think is better (Thanks BK )

Didnt have time for the rest, despite i said i would have them by today, i can still work, but the day passed to the next already in my country Xd.

One thing i do hat though, is working in such a lame ass screen...saving to get a better one, but not an excuse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont have time for crits, just wanted to say im glad to see your imrpovement with colors and values..
    I like the gnome scene a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The troll looks great.

And I agree, the world DOES need more tittay monsters...lol! (Nice feet, BTW )

Looking damn good, Shamagim!

~M

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again, im sorry i haven replyed this thread sooner, i ussualy dont reply if i dont have a pic to show , so now i do, i dont have as many as before becuase i was working on a commition ( something really really small).

Mike Corriero: Thanks, that means a lot . Please feel free to critisize when you have the time. It always help me to climb one more step in this endless stairs.

Madster: Thank you too, ill try my best in the next ones and ill try to keep it up, im really gladd you mentioned the troll pic first, is my favorite so far .

Here it is, im happy with this pic so far, but i wanted to show it to you before going any further, as you can see is meant to be strange, maybe is not as strange as it could be, or maybe it shoudnt be that weird, also i could use some help in terms of composition, i was having the idea of maybe use place more "bodys" in a non- disturving way( disturving to the main characters), blending in the backround and in the stone, so it seem more hellish.

Well here it is, please tell me what you think:

( It really looks in a lower ress once i change it to the other screen, i tryed a lot of configurations and combinations of screen configurations, but im not even sure wish one is the right one )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    umm nothing yet , well, here is another pic im working on while i wait for imput for the one i made yesterday, im vey happy with the main character of the piece, though im not sure about everything else.
    I was trying to get a succesfull piece wiouth over rendering it, i know is out of my leage right now, but sometimes it feels nice to experiment a little.
    Goblin attack

A previously designed concept to make a Goblin a little different, but still with the same goblin attitude that made it so famous:

I know it looks like slow work, but im really happy with the amount of illustrations and studys i made each day, and most of them i canīt show. But my hope is to get more advices about this things, cause so far im almost guessing about how it should be done.

Anyways, thanks for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the hellish piece, I think it would be better to space out the main characters, mainly moving them away from the center because the smaller character positioned at the top is directly centered and throwing off the composition.
    In the top image you can see I moved the largest character closest to the viewer, and moved it to the right as well as moved the smallest character at the top slightly off to the left. I think it would be a good idea to add a few additional characters further away from the viewer which would help to define the perspective and depth a bit more as well as suggest a sprialing motion which would lead the viewers eyes around the page as shown with the yellow mark-up I provided.

Last edited by Mike Corriero; May 27th, 2007 at 12:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good idea, a swirl will be a much more effective composition, there is one more character hiden in the composition though,in the backround , but the entire enviroment might be a lot more confusing that i intented to, ill try to clear it up too.

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, update:

Here is an update of the hags using the pointers given by Mike corriero, but....after i changed the pic from the screen i use to this one, i noticed some horrible purple stains , ill try to fix it pronto, for now here it is:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey,
    It looks a lot better, the details really help pull it together, and the large bones/hand to the right helps the composition. The purple stains might have been when you flattened layers if you were using an overlay or screen layer, unless you flatten all the layers to the background.
    I think it looks kind of interesting with the brighter glow of the purple, if you were to incorporate it in an atmospheric way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mike, i intented to make plain rocks, but then i though i could just detail the entire pic, i think i tryed to place purple highlights for an atmospheric touch, but my screen didnt showed that much color.

Anyways ill keep trying with other experiments, untill i get it all good to go for my new portfolio.

Thanks for your support, despite by behavior latelly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello hello, i have another illustration here, this time is about brownies, i had two ready to show, but the second just came out wrong ( im still placing it in my sketchbook)

Anyways im going to take a break from CA, ill comment in all the topics i can, and then ill come back in 3 or 4 days, the tension of waiting for comments is to big sometimes, and turn kinda obsesive checking the site every half hour ( not healthy, and not helping me doing more work XD) (EDIT*: Damn, didnt last much without CA.org, back already...i honestly though i was going to last 3 days)

Anyways thanks for watching, ill update with more stuff later and ill check this topic tomorrow night just in case

Uh btw, what about the goblin with the flametrower, is it showing?( in the previous posts)

Last edited by Shamagim; November 12th, 2005 at 10:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to bump this, there is really no other comments in the rest of the pics? i mean the brownie mechanic and the goblin with the flametrower.(is anything here worty of the finished seccion yet?)

Also is important for me to know if they are even loading, or if they are taking to much

Thanks for your patience and time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the mchanic picture honestly. i think maybe there should be a small pile of debris behind him in some way. just to show he knows what he is doing. i am not a fan of digital art but yours i actually like. going back to your first post with the forest protectors i like the idea. if you ever want to or feel the need to id def develop those into a scene of some type. good luck and ill be watching this thread alot more and trying to comment=)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pics show up fine.
    Most people in the crit forum usually only put one or two pieces in their posts.
    Maybe people just figure they have already looked at your piece and so don't venture in again.

if you have one piece that you want comments on why not try starting a new thread.

Craig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    unkown epiphany : Thanks, ill try not to disaappoint you.

Craig D: Thanks, i undestand the problem, ussually the critique center doesnt have to many post, so intead of creating a new thread ill just change the title .

EDIT*: Changed my mind, ill folow your advice Craig ...pics removed to another thread.

Last edited by Shamagim; November 23rd, 2005 at 12:16 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.