Would you buy this?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Would you buy this?

Would you buy this?

This is one of my drawings, it took me about 4 days to complete. The original sold for almost 200 hundred dollars. I'm thinking about going to the person I sold it to and getting professional prints done of it to sell. It's either 12x18 or 18x24.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're selling copyrighted art? isn't that illegal?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ParkerD
    you're selling copyrighted art? isn't that illegal?
    Exactly what I was thinking.

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't sell it? I thought I could because it's an original drawing done by me. I understand it's spiderman and it's a scene from the movie, but it's not like someone else drew it and is selling it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So how come all those people who sell artwork in time square don't run into these problems?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The actual physical drawing may be yours, so you can sell THAT (which you already have) but "Spiderman" is a copyrighted character. My understanding is that you can NOT make reproductions of a work containing copyrighted characters without permission.

Most likely the guys in Time Square either have permission, or they're ignoring the law.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that really sucks then. Because that's the best drawing I've managed to pull out in a long time and I know people would buy it. Damn... I guess I'm going to have to start drawing celebrities or something, which I think is very lame.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why not draw something original?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    because they don't come out as realistic looking. And I currently don't have the mind to produce original art that has the ability to wow people and thats my major problem I believe. Like I can draw the characters fine, but the backgrounds/concept/and composition is something that I need to improve on alot.

With pictures that I have reference to, I can create original scenes that look great, but they're still not my characters.

Obviously, I still have a long way to go before being as great an artist I aspire to be. And I really need the cash. living in manhattan is not an easy task. I'm living on the SVA campus and I only have a dollar in quarters right now. Which is why I was looking forward to selling that because I know I'll get good pay for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fan arts are usually easy to sell. And some comic convensions even let you sell prints of them, legally. But then they would still have rules like no exact copy from existing work, such as official art or scenes from the movie/comic.

If you need money, get a part time job. We would all love to make money off our art, but it's not easy. Until you are good enough to make that happen, you need to have some back up plans. (Also, you may be able to sell that for 200 dollars this time, it's no garuantee you can have customers like that all the time, or at least not enough to make up your rent)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have applied for some part time jobs. I haven't heard anything yet. I've tried a few gamespots and a Bestbuy. I'm going to local movie theaters this weekend to fill out applications.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    guys in Time Square, along with guys on ebay, at conventions, in narrow alleys, etc. do this because there's little chance that they will be reprimanded. The trouble and expense of just locating everyone who's breaking Marvel's copywrites is too great for them to bother. If it's brought to their attention, they will most likely address the problem by asking you to stop, which would be followed by legal action if it was cost effective to them to pursue it. This doesn't mean that it's ok for people to be doing this, but they know there's little chance of them getting into serious trouble unless they're making serious money. Shoplifting a pack of gum is illegal, but people do it.

I don't recognize the image, but from the discussion, I gather that it's a copy of another artists' work? You say that you can't draw a realistic image without making a copy of pre-existing material. That's called using reference, and it can be done without just ripping off another artists work. Why don't you go shoot some photos of some friends and draw from those? Or copy from anatomy books to improve your mental database of the figure and then you'll become less dependant on reference. Develope your own skills and you wont need to rely on the work of others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure about jobs.. but as far as art goes. Instead of copying images all the time to sell. I suggest learning to draw properly so you can make whatever you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think he's been saying that he's working on it, but for now his abilities lie in copying and he wanted to use that to make some money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    guys in Time Square, along with guys on ebay, at conventions, in narrow alleys, etc. do this because there's little chance that they will be reprimanded. The trouble and expense of just locating everyone who's breaking Marvel's copywrites is too great for them to bother. If it's brought to their attention, they will most likely address the problem by asking you to stop, which would be followed by legal action if it was cost effective to them to pursue it. This doesn't mean that it's ok for people to be doing this, but they know there's little chance of them getting into serious trouble unless they're making serious money. Shoplifting a pack of gum is illegal, but people do it.

I don't recognize the image, but from the discussion, I gather that it's a copy of another artists' work? You say that you can't draw a realistic image without making a copy of pre-existing material. That's called using reference, and it can be done without just ripping off another artists work. Why don't you go shoot some photos of some friends and draw from those? Or copy from anatomy books to improve your mental database of the figure and then you'll become less dependant on reference. Develope your own skills and you wont need to rely on the work of others.

The drawing is my own. NO ONE has done this drawing that I know of. I paused the movie and drew it from it. But what I want to do is make copies of the original, which I sold for $195 and sell them to make some money.

What I'm saying is that at this point, my best artwork comes from me drawing things that is seen rather than using my imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    I'm not sure about jobs.. but as far as art goes. Instead of copying images all the time to sell. I suggest learning to draw properly so you can make whatever you want.
    I can make whatever I want. But there's a big difference in my drawings when it comes to me drawing something real or referenced and when I draw something from my imagination. And I think it may have to do with light and shadows along with knowing how they appear on the structures of the face, muscles, etc...

When I do imaginary characters they do come out well, but like I said, background and composition are things I need to work on. Now drawing something that's already pre-defined allows me to give a near photo-realistic piece of art that's attractive to the eye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gauge
    I think he's been saying that he's working on it, but for now his abilities lie in copying and he wanted to use that to make some money.
    correct, though I am perfectly capable of doing imaginary work, just not as good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Drakdragon]The drawing is my own. NO ONE has done this drawing that I know of. I paused the movie and drew it from it. QUOTE]

You're NOT getting it. All the images in the movies and the character itself, are copyrighted to the owners and or creators of the work.
    You may not get in trouble but you are ripping off someone elses stuff.

Copying for your own amusement, education etc. is often perfectly legal in many countries but commercial sale of others work is not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [QUOTE=Craig D]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakdragon
    The drawing is my own. NO ONE has done this drawing that I know of. I paused the movie and drew it from it. QUOTE]

You're NOT getting it. All the images in the movies and the character itself, are copyrighted to the owners and or creators of the work.
    You may not get in trouble but you are ripping off someone elses stuff.

Copying for your own amusement, education etc. is often perfectly legal in many countries but commercial sale of others work is not.
    Yea, I know that. Which is why i've e-mailed marvel about it and seeing if i can attain permission to do so. It never hurts to ask.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,475 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    but all that asside, I'm not understanding why you need to pause a movie and draw the image. There's no shame in shooting and using reference in your artwork. Nearly every top illustrator I know of used/uses reference. So why are you not shooting your own reference and creating your own compositions?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The drawing is my own. NO ONE has done this drawing that I know of. I paused the movie and drew it from it. But what I want to do is make copies of the original, which I sold for $195 and sell them to make some money.

What I'm saying is that at this point, my best artwork comes from me drawing things that is seen rather than using my imagination.
    Simplicity in itself. Draw landscapes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    but all that asside, I'm not understanding why you need to pause a movie and draw the image. There's no shame in shooting and using reference in your artwork. Nearly every top illustrator I know of used/uses reference. So why are you not shooting your own reference and creating your own compositions?
    Because the picture was drawn for a friendly competition. One of my art buds said he was better than me so we had a face off. My art teacher set the rules, the only stipulation was that the picture had to be from a movie. I won the challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JERI
    Simplicity in itself. Draw landscapes.
    I don't do landscapes...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If your big hurdle is coming up with good backgrounds and settings for characters, seriously - listen to DavePalumbo. Take photographs of all kinds of buildings and parks and trees and roads and bridges and whatever you can... from all different angles. When you make a new picture, use your own shots as reference for the setting.

Granted, people walking down the street are more likely to stop and shell out a few bucks for a print of Spiderman than an original character they've never seen before. Since you've already contacted Marvel, wait and see what their legal dept says. I doubt they'll flat out refuse, but they may ask for more money than you're prepared for.

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't do landscapes...
    Have you tried? I've been told if you're not good at drawing a particular thing... PRACTISE DAMNIT!
    ~Lover~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Lover~
    Have you tried? I've been told if you're not good at drawing a particular thing... PRACTISE DAMNIT!
    ~Lover~
    Yea, I've done landscapes from pictures before and they come out just as great as my other referenced drawings. It's just that I don't like doing them, like I almost dont care to do them. It's just recently I've started drawing my characters in backgrounds. They're time consuming (as they should be) and I'm the kind of person who likes deal more with the characters and/or action of what i'm drawing.

I'm sure it's something that I'll have to get used to soon though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Q. Would you buy this?

A. No I wouldn't.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    Q. Would you buy this?

A. No I wouldn't.

...nothing more to add

-----------------------
    Available for freelance work! contact me via : cgrobelski@gmail.com

PORTFOLIO

cgbrush.org

deviantart

Follow me on Twitter!!

aaaaaaaaand

friend me on Facebook!!!!

.....bitches!

Finally Finished

Da sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gloominati
    ...nothing more to add
    Agreed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Asoir
    Agreed.
    Same.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.