Unfinished works needing feedback.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Unfinished works needing feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unfinished works needing feedback.

Hey,
    I'm new.
    To follow: Old photoshop works that never got finished because I don't quite know what to do with them.
    also to see if I can manage getting all this to work.

The Littlest of Mermaids

Little kid being sheltered from the rain. Still SUPER sketchy.

Color or not? Background or not? Letters thrown in as an afterthought.

Could be more finished, but I've left it because some people love it watercolor-ish

Someone else's line. Picked it up randomly to color, never got it done (Line art used with artist's permission)

Last edited by defiance13; November 3rd, 2005 at 05:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, first thing, you really need to practice and learn how to complete a work...You post 5 images, and not one is finished, although you have a good excuse for each one.

What good does C&C do you? So your next half-assed attempt will be better, although still unfinished?
    You don't need advice, you simply need to follow through with your projects.
    You DO need to follow through with more effort than you've shown thus far, though.
    Your linework is sloppy or non-existant. I would strongly suggest you work on your rendering skills, as the ability to cleanly draw an object is one of the basics of a good foundation in art...

You also need to practice being consistent with your brush strokes. It impresses no one to see scribbly strokes going in all different directions, with no rhyme or reason (the mermaid picture). Slow down enough to be conscious of the marks you make.

The "watercolorish" piece can still look watercolorish, but detailed. All it is now, is just a vague wash...

The Punk Cabaret could be a VERY powerful piece, but as is, looks like an idea that never made it to completion.

And showing someone else's linework that you never bothered to finish makes you look even more like a slacker...You don't draw detailed drawings, you don't finish the broad, extremely sketchy blobs you start, and then you can't even complete a well established piece of linework someone else let you use? Dude....REALITY CHECK.

Why are you here? Why are you showing a bunch of stuff (OLD stuff at that) which you can't be bothered to finish? What use could ANY advice on coloring, smoothing, composition, or design be to you, if you do not put it to use for anything but more UFO's (UnFinished Objects)???

I suggest you take the Punk Cabaret piece (1. It's somewhat well composed, and 2. It's B&W, making color choices easy), and take 3 days to REALLY clean up the linework, DRAW the details, and then color it cleanly. Post THAT, and show us your abilities...Then we will have a better idea of what technical skills you need to work on.

~M

Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thank you like woah

So, I just want to thank you for saying something besides "oh that's so awesome"

I've been using Deviantart as my space for putting up art for years and regardless of what I put up I always get 13 year olds who can't manage more than a stick figure telling me my work is awesome.
    Everything I posted here, I've posted on DA and it's gotten positive feedback. Which is bullshit.

When someone tells me my shit is so awesome, I loose all my steam and never finish it.

So thank you, b/c you made me angry and uncomfortible, and all I want to do is make something that is worthy, not half done shit.

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh, you get the Super Madster Gold Star of the day.

I Disturbed you enough to make you want to show me you can do better, MUCH better.

Good for you. I LIKE your spirit. Feisty, but smart enough to show me, not talk poop.

Go for it. You HAVE talent, you HAVE an eye. Now, show us all that you can make it look good as well.

I'm not the only one who will be waiting and rooting FOR you here.

Of course, I'll still rip you a new one every chance you give me...

~M

Last edited by madster; November 6th, 2005 at 03:49 PM.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im glad i read this thread.

I do agree with madster that you really need to finish something.

I have the same problem, and I just made a promise myself that I wont start anything new until ive finished what im doing right now. which isnt to say im not doing anything else, but i do jot down sketches and whatnot to save for working on a later date.

btw madster i need some harsh critisizm in my thread lol....

My Sketchbook

the world is a diaper; let someone else change it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I noticed is that you tend to use very small brushes (especially pronounced in the 'mermaid' drawing - as a side note, her flipper is lost almost completely in the rock(?) she's sitting on). This creates a very sketchy look to a piece since there are tiny lines running everywhere. Try using large brushes to slap in large areas of color and then bring out details with smaller brushes. But don't let those small strokes erase that base layer of color! That's your anchor. What good does it do you if you lay it down and then proceed to scribble all over it?

Finish the punk ballerina piece. Leave it B&W. I suggest getting rid of the typographical elements - they're just distracting you at this point. Both figures are in very intense overhead light, so really push the contrast on them.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.