Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Sex, drugs, and alchohol.

well maybe just Drugs and alchohol. I just wanted to know what you guys think the influences of drugs and alchohol are on creativity. I decided about a year ago to stop taking all drugs...Which did help alot but now i chain smoke and drink. Do you think giving up these habits will do anything?

Peace
    -Vince

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Are you looking for an excuse to not stop ?

Sorry for being direct but .. what reasons are there for smoking & drinking full-time ?

Thanks
    I would'nt have a problem stoping. Im just curious if most artist having given up these vices entirely.

Thanks
    They just damage your head and your ability to think of new creative and original things
    Some mashup idea in your head that makes you be like wow is not gonna translate on paper

Drugs are wicked but i feel ive lost something productive in my brain
    they can make you proper apathetic too

Quote Originally Posted by Poohgee
    .. what reasons are there for smoking & drinking full-time ?
    there are quite a few though

Thanks
    I think giving up these habits will keep you around longer. . .

I use to have a heavy drug problem/drinking problem, It cost me a lot- but i had my reasons and I wouldn't take it back if I could. Did they help "stir" my creative juices? No, in fact they caused me to waste a lot of my time and energy better used at perfecting my craft. My mistake was confusing the art with a glorified idea of "living like an artist" (atleast the bohemian sense of it all)

I still smoke, and I can drink with the best of them. I don't do it as much anymore-
    I produce more artwork now then ever, I have more projects going on then I could dream, and I can handle the responsabilities that I once would have been unable to do 'cause i was fucked up.

Stop smoking, drink less, and draw more. . . you might not be more creative, but you'll get more done.

Thanks
    well, when i used to smoke alot i could come up with some crazy ideas...when i felt like it. But now, after stopping, i definately suffer from some amotivation syndrome, like alot of it. Was it worth it? absofuckinglutely not. should have stopped after the first couple times. i can produce alot more now, though. the damage is irreversable, sadly. sometimes i find it hard to think clearly, even though ive been clean for a good 6 months, at least.

Thanks
    This happens to be a specialty of mine on a few levels......which I won't share! Just remember everything in moderation. Make the bad things you like an occasional treat not habitual: balance in everything is key!

Thanks
    like recreational heroin use

Thanks
    Im not concerned about creativity. My issue is that for some odd fucking reason i no longer enjoy art. It used to be like "oh shit i have a free hour, Ill go draw." Now its like "I should probobly draw....but video games are more fun." My only concern is current lack of motivation.

Thanks
    Smoking pot doesn't help you become any more creative than someone who doesn't smoke pot. All pot really does is make you a-motivational. You will get LESS work done. If you feel that you need pot to be creative, you should re-think your carrer.

Drinking alcohol isn't any better, but it's not as bad.

Smoking cigarettes is the only vice that doesn't fuck up your brain. If you want to do something, just smoke cigarettes. But it does fuck up your lungs and give you bad breath.
    Last edited by CaptainInsano; November 3rd, 2005 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks
    centripetal,
    Pro's vs cons.....every decision in life boils down to one of two motivations, the persuit of pleasure and the avoidance of pain. People will avoid pain before they will persue pleasure. Thus, maybe you didn't get enough positive feedback (pleasure) on your art so you use video games as an escape...much like an addict uses a drug.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by centripetal
    Im not concerned about creativity. My issue is that for some odd fucking reason i no longer enjoy art. It used to be like "oh shit i have a free hour, Ill go draw." Now its like "I should probobly draw....but video games are more fun." My only concern is current lack of motivation.
    You draw as part of you dedication to becoming better, not because you feel like it.
    Sure you try your best to have fun in the meantime, but really motivation or not you need to ask yourself, do i want to be a great artist?

Thanks
    I'm a smoker so I can't judge but know that there are over 300 carcinogenic chemicals in every cigarette, a more diverse concentration than any other known to man; not even biological warfare is that well versed.

Thanks
    ...and no L.E.B. the "dragon" is no longer on my list of recreational options.

Thanks
    Thank you everyone for your input......I think this thread just made me stop smoking and drinking.

Thanks

Drugs are a crutch to anyone who uses them. They're a convenient EXCUSE for everything. Why you're stupid, why you're antisocial, why you are or aren't creative.....If you can only function creatively while high, then you have to wonder, is that the real you that shows through in your art?

I don't smoke, drink or do drugs, and function just fine, mainly because I've come to the conclusion that I've only scratched the surface of my creativitiy, and that's while I'm sober.

Give it a thought

Thanks
    try Yoga

Thanks

sounds to me like it's more of a video game addiction problem than a drug addiction one. video games are fun, but like with a lot of drugs, what you're doing is taking yourself out of reality and putting yourself into a world of fantasy. which, don't get me wrong, is really fun on both accounts, but neither is a suitable replacement for reality.

i can't tell you to stop doing drugs and stop playing video games, but it sounds to me like you need to balance that with something. even if it's a forced balance (i.e. - forcing yourself to draw or paint for a certain number of hours a day).

i'm of the mind that moderation is the best path.
    Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    If you enjoy beeing high/drunk, then smoke weed and drink. If you don't then stop. Unless you're abusing the shit it won't have any significant impact on your life or your personality. Light up or get drunk and you'll be lost for a few hours, but when you sober up you'll be the same person you were before. As someone said, don't use drugs as an excuse. If you like it, fine. If not, stop. It's as easy as that.

I drink moderately, get high about once a week (maybe less even) and smoke half a pack of cigarettes a day. Neither is good for me, I know that, but I enjoy all of it so I'll keep it up til I get a little smarter.

Thanks
    I think you guys are all misunderstanding me a bit. Im not saying im a huge druggy alchoholic that needs help. Im saying that im the one kid, Probably in my entire school that has quit these substances. My friend was talking to me the other day and asked why i dont smoke any more if im into drawing becuase he claims it is the only way to be creative. I told him that it was the exact opposit and that when I have any chemicals in my system i dont function like i should.....So i geuss the reason i posted this thread is because i am sick and had nothing better to do and i wanted to hear what you guys thought about it.

Thanks
    some people say it makes them draw weird stuff:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...ighlight=drugs

I for myself don't feel like that... I guess it's different for everyone...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts

Question

I decided about a year ago to stop taking all drugs...Which did help alot but now i chain smoke and drink.
    You do realise alcohol and nicotine are drugs too, yeah?

Legal ones sure, but most definitely drugs.

Thanks
    so is coffe

Thanks
    If you're certain that you need to do a drug, just stick to caffine and tabaco. At least those won't deteriote your brain. The other drugs will.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Coffee's not a drug, it's a food group- like "protein" and "lard".

Thanks
    caffine is a drug.

Thanks
    I would'nt have a problem stoping. Im just curious if most artist having given up these vices entirely.
    wtf, sex is not a vice.

quit the other things because they fuck up your body. there's really no better reason.
    solo de errores se aprende
    y hoy se que es tuyo mi corazon
    mejor te guardas todo eso

Thanks
    Read my first post, I said sex doesnt count...

Thanks
    I just thought it would be funny to show you guys this doodle i did while i was thinking about what you guys said.

This is me in 20 years if i keep drinking.

Sex, drugs, and alchohol.

Thanks
    Since when are cigarettes and booze not drugs? Just because it's not illegal doesn't mean it isn't a drug. I've never smoked so I can't really comment on that, but I've never felt any increase in creativity when I've been drinking. If anything, it's the opposite. May be different from others, but I figure if I take those sorts of substances often it'll likely shorten my lifespan significantly, especially considering my family history of heart disease and cancer. If my lifespan, especially my healthy lifespan, is shortened, it'll be less time I can devote to art and creativity, so I won't be able to reach whatever potential I might have otherwise.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast