Art: Some first time figure drawings

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Some first time figure drawings

Hey, yep the title basically says it all. Last night I went to my nude model drawing session and must say I enjoyed it immensely. Working from a living person is always better than photos; plus the timed poses were great practice. Anyway, I definitely want to improve on my figure drawings and looking around this forum I see so many amazing drawings people have done; looking around here also made me realize just how much work I need to do lol.

Well yea all these were done in pencil, and please any and all comments are welcomed (and wanted ).

These first 3 were one minute poses

Some first time figure drawings

These next 2 were 5 minute poses

This one is a 10 minute pose

And this last one is a 20 minute pose

Well there ya go, I was happy to learn that a nearby museum holds free figure drawing sessions every Wednesday (least they should; still need to check for sure) , that there are 2 models planned for my drawing classes in the next 2 weeks, and that my school has 2 more open drawing sessions planned for the rest of this semester. So I should be back with more at some point!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are actually fairly good for a first time figure drawing session! Keep on working on it with yoru classes and different workshops, and they will get definitely much better.

I would say that you should try to get longer lines, less lines that curve around capturing the gesture of the pose will give your drawing more confidence.

Keep in mind the general volume of each of your limbs, in each of your studies, there are size and volume discrepancies (head too small / lower legs too small / arms too skinny, too long... It all depends on each of your figures.) Try to also get the gesture line of the figure as a basis before you start laying everything down, it will make the figure more alive and graceful.

I saw the flowers die
    grand beauty turn to dust
    under wings of cold white death

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Autarkis- hey thanks for the response! Yea I can see what you mean with the proportion discrepencies; looking at the drawings after having done them strange I can definitely see the big proportion differences. I'm definitely gonna follow what you said; it felt like I got the forms a bit better with the gestures while I was doing it, but when we got to the longer poses I kinda just didn't do them for some reason Yea though I'm definitely gonna try to go to as many of those classes as I can I can see how they are great for learning.

Again, thanks for the advice, I'll post again once I have some more drawings to show!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes please do post more , I'd love to see your progress!
    Always start with a gesture pose, the first 2 minutes (at least) should just be finding it on the page, with big sweeping lines to define the movement. It will help you in the end to retain a strong sense of life and movement with the figure, and with the general volume of everything

I saw the flowers die
    grand beauty turn to dust
    under wings of cold white death

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.