Thanks

I'm buying a computer...

Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking into getting a computer of my own finally. I really want to start working digitally, in painter primarily. I guess i just need something that can handle graphic programs the best. I really like the new iMac or the G5.

I realize this question must get asked a lot but, I guess my question is:
    Does anyone here have any recommendations?
    Also: I've never really used a walcom tablet before, just a little bit in school a few years back. Are there any basic ones that anyone would like to recommend as well. I'd like to keep the budget as reasonable as possible.

Thanks everyone
    j.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I would stay away from the iMac. Over all its a sluggish machine...the whole line is. I would recommend a PowerMac dual g5. It will have enough kick you will never see it slow. Just make sure you get a gig of ram and you are golden.

As far as a wacom tablet, if you can afford one, get an intuos tablet, but if you want to save some money go graphire. The area is more to be decided by your drawing style. If you draw with your whole arm moving, then get the larger surface. If you draw with your wrist resting most of the time, then the smaller area will do you well. I use an 8x6 and absolutely love it.

I know a lot of people here use PC's, but if you can afford a mac get one, it breaks less and you don't have to worry about virii or spyware/adware. It will cost a little more, and you will have a smaller selection of applications, but everything you really need is available. I mean...if video game selection means so much, get an Xbox.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Thanks Lord Blue that helps a lot...the G5 costs a little more, but looks like it's probably worth it. And i never really thought about the "wrist" factor...that makes a lot of sense too.

thanks.
    My Sketchbook :: Phantasmagoria
    Illustration Portfolio :: jasonsnair.carbonmade.com
    Design Portfolio :: jasonsnairdesign.carbonmade.com
    My Blog -- Feed Me Toast!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Snair
    I'm looking into getting a computer of my own finally. I really want to start working digitally, in painter primarily. I guess i just need something that can handle graphic programs the best. I really like the new iMac or the G5.

I realize this question must get asked a lot but, I guess my question is:
    Does anyone here have any recommendations?

This is a tough answer to give since there is so many ways to go about it. The price will depend on if you have anything to salvage from a previous computer and just want to upgrade or buy a complete package. The mac/pc battle has been around as long as dirt and there is no clear winner, it's a matter of personal preference. While I won't tell you a computer to get, I can tell you the one I literally just got yesterday. My old computer served it's purpose but I ruined it when I accidently chipped the processor and had to choose between replacing a dinosaur and finally going through with a much needed upgrade.

New computer:
    AMD Athlon64 3400 Processor
    Asus K8V-MX Motherboard
    1GB PC3200 400FSB DDR Ram

Old computer:
    AMD Athlon32 2000 Processor
    Asus A7N266 Motherboard
    512MB PC2100 DDR Ram

The decision was fairly easy for me since I could salvage most of my old computer and I wanted to keep the same motherboard company since I was really happy with my last one. For me, the Athlon processors have worked really well. They run cool and work harder.

Basically if you want performance make sure you get a computer with a fast processor and have as much memory as you could possibly get. My new one should work wonders with graphic programs as well with games but I still need to upgrade my graphics card so I can play some of the new games that are out. My GeForce 4200 Ti doesn't support some of the new technology thats available in games like Battlefield 2.

www.pricewatch.com is a good place to watch for good deals on computers if you want to build your own.