Thread: blocks

Thanks

blocks

hi my name is perry i'm a 23 year old tattoo artist and i was wondering if any of you guys had any tips to get out of creative blocks........

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hey Perry, well I usually go see a movie to get my mind buzzing, or take a break just forget about drawing altogether - reboot my brain in a sence :].
    Or try drawing something new experiment with other styles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    wrong area to post this dude, welcome all the same, but if you have questions that arent linked directly to your own personal artwork, try the Lounge area

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Yes, find a good, inspirational forum (like this one), and then take enough time to look around before rushing to hit the submit button to try using the SEARCH function and read any of the at least half dozen or so threads on the same subject.

Then, before deciding that even though the topic has been covered ad nauseum, and you still need to start a new thread, take a few minutes to at least try to find the correct portion of said forum, rather than cluttering up specific areas like a Critique Center, where such esoteric threads do NOT belong...

I'd suggest a separate sub-forum to deal with this issue, as it seems we have this subject asked in a new thread on an almost daily basis, but since no one even bothers to read the forum definitions, they'd probably still end up posted in here....ACK!

Here are my tips.
    1. Get over your creative block enough to approach your "cry for help" in a bit better manner than you have.
    2. Step away from you computer, get a sketchbook, open your front door, and go fill a minimum of 5-10 pages with a minimum of 10-15 sketches based on the first letter of the first object (NOT PERSON) you see. A dumpster, a dog, a dent in a car, a dead pack of cigarettes. etc., or the curb, a cat, a can, a chunk of asphalt...

Just do it. BRAINSTORM a bit. THINK! Get off your arse, and go do something that makes you look and observe, and then create. Grab your camera instead of a sketchbook if your time is more limited, or your quick rendering skills not as refined.
    Then try to make a single composition incorporating what you found...

It's not that hard, and you don't need to ask people to suggest things for you to do. Particularly when the question has been asked (and answered) so many times previously that you don't even need to ask it, just go read the answers already given.

~M
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    madster, just make a generic sticky of this, for the love of bob! *bangs head on wall*

Thanks
    Maybe I'm not getting this block thing but as a tatoo artist don't people come in and tell you what kind of tatoo they want?

I don't have any myself but there are some good ones.Yep I have seen some real good tatoo art.

BP

Thanks
    Sensory deprivation does wonders. Toss yourself in a 98° bath with earplugs in total darkness, and watch your inspiration come back at you at a thousand miles an hour. It helps because it forces you to come to terms with whatever is causing the block so you can get past it.
    My work: [link]