Monk

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Monk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Monk

As you hopefully can see, it's a monk. I was inspired by a book I read, with a medieval setting. I plan to make a similar painting of a prelate later.

Wacom and Painter Classic

Monk

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Jane!

Firstly, I really like the expression, and I think that it's a really recognisable, solid face. Not an easy task at all.

If I was going to pick you up on one thing it's that your values seem a little compressed. The eye is normally drawn to the areas of highest contrast, and as the facial values are all pretty similar, we're not drawn in in quite the way we should be. Also it's really close, but it's not quite 'together' looking due to the darkness of the cloak being so much greater than the face.

So yeah, punch up the darks on the face and I think you'll be onto a winner.

Cheers!
    DC

Thanks
    Thanked 1,017 Times in 286 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    the face itself is nice, but it reads as a little too femanine at the moment imo.. i think due to the soft pink of the lips and the lack of definitive jawline, mostly. his cloak could use some detailing, remember traditional monk dress included things such as a hood, perhaps some religious paraphenalia (a crucifix or something equivalent). the hair needs some work, as his bangs are slicked flat to the contour of his forehead, whilst the hair at the back is massive and sticks out too far (that or his head is abnormally shaped). this has great potential, and i think you could push it further if you incorperated candles into the piece, at the very least the light from a candle or two, which would darken up his facial values as dirty c suggested, and would be more in keeping with the piece as monks lead generally recluse lives in monastaries; their only light being that of candles. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the crits that have been posted. You need a little more contrast to really draw the viewer in.

This may sound funny, but I really like the strokes you have used in the background. They are nice and "painterly"--that is, they give the feeling of real paint and brush marks.

best!
    emily

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you people. Your comments are helpful to me. I rarely start working on pieces I, for myself, concider finished, but I will remember what you have said for my next pic. I'll try to think about the contrast and how to 'draw closer' the viewer, I really didn't think much about that. Shame om me.

Emily g: Yyeah, I like the painterly style. I always admired those professional oil paintings, and I try to get a feel of thick paint in my pics. Well, I still have a lot to learn...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The head is a little too much on the backpart. I don't think you can see much behind the ear from this angle.

Skin tone looks nice so far, but I would like to see darker shadings add to it, just to match up with the dark shirt he's wearing, also because the background suggest it's a dim place instead of a sunny bright one.

Nice nose by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look: Thank you. It was supposed to be the hair, not the head, but I guess it came out wrong anyway. I'll keep a closer watch to such things next time.
    And I kind of thought the nose was too small...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have anyone noticed the angles yet?

I think the entire head is skewed the wrong way, please notice that it looks like a frontal view with a side view, the nose gives away the perspective error of the rest of the face.

I mean if the face was real, then it would have a wicked nose or a inward corner face deformation. ( like he crashed rectangular pillar)...thats keeping the entire piece as unrealistic despite the realistic details the face haves.

I guess that, to fix it you need to draw the perspective lines over it , you will find out that his head is not in a cube in that perspective. As i said at the beggining, is skewing the other way around ( opending no closing like it should)

Hope it helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh my goodness, you are right! Yeah, I know about the perspective lines, but I did not use them much. Man, I wish I did...
    Thank you for your comment, it really helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.