Industrial Design of the Week: TOPIC SUGGESTIONS - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    torture devices - make a machine/device that delivers as much pain and carnage as possible

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bRØk3n_sPiRiT
    This isnt a topic suggestion, but I think there should be a winner gallery like in the other weekly activities. I think it could draw more popularity to the activity.
    I agree, it would be cool if all community activities had their own galleries and "reward" system, stars, etc. (although I think the reward is basically seeing the other cool ideas, every little bit helps).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The perfect pen

...or you know some other everyday-common item. Maybe it would be fun to try a "down-to-earth" topic.

My Sketchbook
    "Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes you’re behind, the race is long, and in the end, it’s only against yourself."
    Photoshop color picker | Adjusting tablet sensitivity: Manually or Utility

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Sustainability

Sustainable architecture: Waste-neutral transportation, housing, dry-cleaners, resturant kitchen, etc.

Deforestation: Circular clearing machines, linear clearing machines.

Surveying: Deep space probe/High power telescope array to detect Earth like planets, Composite scanning satellites to find pockets of oil/minerals in the Earth's crust.

Powerplants: Innovative designs for harnessing solar, hydro, geothermal, cosmic, wind, and ocean power (or a new form of power if you're REALLY creative).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eskay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sticky this thread?

looking through the EOW suggestions thread, i saw someone mention an upside down world and had this idea - a device that lets you walk/live rightside-up in an upsidedown world.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A futuristic stove

An anti-nuclear missle system for the US (that works)

The next generation of personal watercraft

Next gen. toothbrush

New design for bicycle

Prostetic limbs in the year 2050

Autonomous surgical system for military zones

Next generation swat armor for post-earthquake california crime suppression

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -earth defense station
    -next generation battle tank
    -public transportation that stretches globe
    -the next entertainment industry(first it was shows, then books, then movies, now the internet, then ____)
    -the new surgically attached cybernetic upgrades

just trying to throw some stuff out there to get this section thought about again.

No. No. Uh uh. No way. Ain't happening.

alright, gimme a sec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asteroid harvester

Medical scan (sort of like a MRI machine)

Supersonic cannon (like that oooooold dune game)

vault or safe

earth mover (like the crane with bucket )

I really like what has been said before about technology going in other directions like an old zepplin
    or heavely influenced culture technology ( like mayan, polynasian, aztech...)

My Internal Organs ... my "sketchbook"
    To visit my portfolio, http://www.simonrainville.com
    my best friend

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to see an occasional non-scifi, non-modern IDW.

Like...

Mechanized repeating crossbow

!! Functional armor and weapon construction for a medieval culture with no access to metal

Siege Weapon (could be fantasy or scifi)

Bronze Age tech flying machine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chair for intelligent species with backwards knees.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Environmentally Destructive Mode of Transportation.

I'm talkin' ridiculously destructive. Something that belches out obscene amounts of pollution, or lays waste to acres of land as it travels. It could be highly futuristic, or low-tech steampunk kinda stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ultimate Spy Aircraft

Design an aircraft (manned or unmanned) that uses 1: stealth, 2: long endurance flights of 2 days or more, and 3: that after identifying a target, can engage and destroy it in minutes if not seconds.

The Ultimate Road Trip Vehicle

That about sums that one up. A vehicle that you and your friends could use going to the beach or across the country and would be ergonomically and technologically decked out to provide the ultimate amount of comfort and entertainment while traversing from point A to point B. Could be a mod of a modern or older car, or an entirely new design.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just went through some of these entries, all the way form the start and here are some I like the best:

-spacefighter cockpit
    -Target seeking landmine bot in turd disguise (hehehe, I'm kidding)
    -Environmentally Destructive Mode of Transportation

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    suggestions :

design a military ornithopter for use in mountainous kingdom. It should be able to deliver real firepower while maintaining balance and altitude.

design a tank for the british empire c 1815 that can be used both on board ships and on land, intended for use in the Americas, Europe, and the Orient, which sport a variety of different terrains and enemies.

the amazing motorcoach, transportation of the future

2164, the newly elected king Louis XX of the Avignon colonies wishes to bring back the flavor of his Bourbon ancestors, feeling that it will inspire a sense of nationalism on the new planet. Design the king a royal outfit like those worn by the Carpetian kings, with all the modern conveniences of post-terran technologies.

Neo-Chavalier - design a modern-day warrior for a people who never developed firearms.

and i really liked
    !! Functional armor and weapon construction for a medieval culture with no access to metal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A laboratory or factory, that designs and manufactures or breeds organic technology and/or organic spacecrafts.

An organic household item, that serves as food-source and creates and prepares food for it's owner from itself. (So it could grow it's own meat or vegetable on it's inside for example, could deposit it on a plate, heats it and secretes a delicious sauce or dressing)

The Sky-Needle. A very tall and thin tower constructed of superstable material that reaches high into the atmosphere (or maybe into space), and where the elite of scientists reside and research. It may could work as the base for a space elevator as well.

A doomsday device. The last and ultimate (and perhaps rather sinister?) weapon of humanity, that will stop them from fighting in wars forever. (Perhaps it is able to accidently destroy the earth to state the point that noone could ever win in a society, that only develops stronger weapons than their imaginary enemies, perhaps only wipes out the humanity and enables another species to evolve into the dominant species of earth in hope, that this species would make anything better, than the humans. Or at least it could simply destroy the more agressive humans, or it alters the human genome and anatomy on an microscopic level to disable almost any agressive tendencies and recreate the mankind as a peaceful and non-territorial species, that is unable to feel anger, hate and that could wish any revenge and results in a total rethinking by mankind and create a new, multicultural and global human society in the now heralded golden age of humanity.)

A modern design for a Perpetuum Mobile.

A rather unusual, beautiful and artistic satellite-design in the artistic decade (or even age) of the 36.th century, where almost every piece of technology and industry will be designed by artists and visionaries. Here is, what I thought of: (The view could be from above, looking down onto the satellite that orbits earth. Despite it's intended functions it could be a piece of human creativity, craftsmanship or mechanical elegance, that greets and welcomes visitors to earth at first look, when they are reaching our planet.)

The smart house of the (not so distant?) future.

Sanitary arrangements like showers, bath tubs, wash bowls and toilets or complete bathrooms for aliens with non humanoid anatomy. (I really would like to see a rather unusual waste disposal unit or toilet for aliens.)

The last suggestion about aliens with non humanoid anatomy could work with other concepts like beds, public or private transportation, multimediatechnology or kitchens as well.

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or else what's heaven for?" - Robert Browning (7th May 1812 - 12th December 1889)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Streifi those are some nice suggestions. I liked reading your thoughts on the human race. You are a thinker. That is good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A device capable or harnassing the full power of a star.

A device sent from our future back in time limited with a mass of no more than 10000kg and capable of altering the future in favour of the conutry which sends it. Must not be self capable (must be piloted or require human interaction of some kind.) If you have seen the movie biggles where a modern helicopter appears in ww2 you will have a fair idea of what im thinking, a visual displacment, clash of design looks etc. The design must be user friendly for the time into which it is being placed to allow for intuitive operation by people of the time.

A device for a child designed in 2050. Though the child is to see it as a toy/friend, the unit is tasked with the care and monitoring of the child while the parents are absent due to work etc. For the purpose of usability the design must be capable of working in a normal urban environment and interacting with objects designed for human use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi ppl
    iam student in faculty of industrial desing and i really need help with sketchs about proudcts like cars mobiles and stuff like that..... it will be great if u help me : P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mechanicals ;
    Chip Home;
    Circuits;

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    barbaric, low-tech tank. it's brutal, it's medeival-esque, it gets the job done without the aid of sophisticated electronics. WWI meets Conan the barbarian. Describe its role in the conflict that you invent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Melee weapon of the not-so-distant future! Allows a skilled warrior to get down and dirty and up close and personal in this modern age of assault rifles and fragmentation grenades. Easily negates the defensive advantages of Kevlar and other Bulletproof garments. Also, it should elicit a "We're fucked" moment from a foe who sees it. Perhaps it comes with some other gear to make it useful, like a Jetpack or shield.

Was looking at The Art of Halo today, and a comment caught my eye in regards to the Chief's armor "We wanted to make it look like a modern tank". Maybe a suit of Armor that'll give a man the stopping power of a tank.

Last edited by SephyCloneNo15; February 3rd, 2007 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Machine that can launch into space without thrusters
    Airplane suit
    One wheel vehicle
    Hoverbike

I'd love some constructive criticism : my sketchbook TY for taking the time
    Let's all just be friends and chill the f*** out, k ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about this?

Tactical design project.
    Spanning 10 weeks.

A major undertaking, the purpose of which is to provide the participants, at the end of 12 weeks, with a fully realised race at war. The true benefit of this, is to be able to present in job applications an ability to invent a variety of designs with a shared visual iconography with the intended use being the games industry or mod scene.

Two absolute necessities are required for each design.

First - three orthographic views. These are annoying to some, but would be vital for modellers to work from. It would be part of your job IRL, so get used to it.

Second a colour render as is standard in idotw.

Needless to say, this gives an entrant a great breadth of scope overall for what kind of conflict is being undertaken. Is it civil or inter galactic war?? Humans or aliens? Are your race aliens and what design challenged does that bring. Has davinci been forced to create a new army so that rome might conquer the world. Is an alternate earth fighting an alternate second world war with totally different, but technologically correct designs? Is the whole war fought under water by sub aquatic species??

All that is up to the artist. But once a theme has been settled on, it must be carried through to the rest of the designs.

topics in order

Infantry unit.
    The cast iron slug on which the rest of your war machine will ultimately be built. This challenge requires the design of your infantry gear, including helmet etc. It also gives those planning an alien race a chance to flesh out the size , and major design difference in anatomy that might affect future ideas. A rough weapon can be included, but is not the point of the exercise. You would also at this point define some of the basic logos that would be carried through your designs like a national flag or army symbol. The infantry standard may also be an armoured mech suit. In this case all other designs must accomidate this as standard.

Weapons
    This covers not every concievable weapon, but rather establishes the basic weapons technology available to you in later designs. Will your weapons be lazers, will they need large heat syncs to cool them then? etc etc. This will provide the visual cues that make your weapons all look like they were made by the same people. And which can be expanded into the weapons mounter on larger vehicles. It provides the beginnings of the restraints which will dictate the iconography of your designs. 3 weapons are required. anti infantry anti mechanical and heavy anti mechanical. e.g when dealing with infantry, ballistics may be sufficent, but when dealing with armour, lasers might be the standard. Light mechanical would use the technology of your anti infantry, say bullets and scale it up. for example, a gatling gun is good , or fighter mounted machine gun in an infantry carriable package.

ground based Troop transport/apc/anti infantry
    Utilising the basic ideas of your weapons tech, and your knowledge of your standard troop size, design a vehicle to transport a 4-6 man team. The vehicle must be capable of defending itself. You are limited to only 1 mounted anti infantry gun position. This could be anything from an apc to a jeep like vehicle.

Ground based anti armour design.
    This would fit the role of tank, mech or something that would fight from the seabed as opposed to moving through water etc. It would be required by design to be operated by no more than 3 people. You would be limited to one main gun position and two one anti infantry gun positions. The unit should be a balance of firepower, armour and speed.

Anti-aircraft unit
    A mobile or entrenched unit designed to disable or destroy large numbers of incoming aircraft.crew of 4. It must be capable of firing for prolonged periods, thus, an emphasis on ammo storage must be placed over defensive abilities or speed if mobile.It could even be a mobile vehicle magnetically sealing to the exterior of a large space vehicle providing anti space figher support.

Vehicle transport
    A large airborne vehilce which must be capable of transporting the following.
    one of your anti armour units or one of your anti air units
    and
    two of your troop transport units

and deploying them to the battlefield. Due to weight restrictions, only 2 light weapons platforms are included in the design itself. Due to its design needs, the vehicle will require a lot of engine power. As a result, armour and offensive ability is compromised. This is where your previous work pays off. This is about designing a vehicle around your other 2. Figuring out the design challenges associated with that. If you have skipped previous works, a default box size for the vehicles which need transport will be provided.

Fighter intercepter
    A one man fighter designed for support roles, protection of vehicle transports etc. Depending on your conflict, this could be more akin to a chopper. Undersea this might take the form of a fighter submersible. Speed and weapons are a priority over defence. You are limited to 4 light anti mech , or i heavy anti mech weapon platform.

heavy Fighter /bomber.
    A 2 -4 man heavy figher or dedicated bomber designed to attack large targets on the scale of air craft carriers.

Mobile command/attack staging vehicle

this would be a 4 week design.

This covers the basic concept of an aircraft carrier. A massive vehicle designed to carry and deploy the rest of your designs. This could be flying, space based, under water. anything, so long as it sustains and resupplies the compliment of units you assign to it. It must be capable of maintaining the following

24 fighter interceptors.
    8 heavy fighters/ bombers.
    32 troop transport/apc/anti infantry.
    16 anti armour vehicles.
    16 vehicle transports.
    16 anti air units.

basic crew of 2000 plus 2000 infantry.

This is the big payoff in a way, similar to the vehicle transport, in that you are designing around your other works. Bringing everything together.If you have skipped previous designs, box sizes for units will be made available. Remember to design realistically, assigning space for fuel and ammo storage for the ship itself, and all the vehicles it supports, crew quarters. etc etc etc.

We are looking at something big here, akin to a battlestar or aircraft carrier in scale terms. probably bigger.

The additional time given would demand additional results, in the form of an additional mandatory cutaway diagram. this could be an enterprise like simple side cutaway or an ambitious starwars like uber illustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    evamonkeyn2 - interesting idea, I would be interested in something like.

It might be difficult to keep people onboard for that long, things might come up that prevent people completing some topics but it would be really good to see a fully completed series.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks! the idea would be that it wouldnt matter if you were in for one or two and not the rest. if you didnt do the two vehicles required for the vehicle transport for example, and wandered in and wanted to do that, you would simply have to design one to fit vehicles of dimensions set in the topics.

So for people carrying on from previous, they use their own dimensions, and those just having a randow go use dimensions consistent with real military vehicles. It caters to both the causal and the hardcore. hopefully.

I also agree though, that for those who stick it out, a completed series, well illustrated would be a portfolio gem.

personally id be torn between an alternate ww2 , with mecha like designs and just going as proverbs would say 'ape shit' with something utterly sci fi. realistis but futursitic, down the lines of starship troopers. whose starships i loved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, that would help it to work – definitely would be worth being in for the long haul.

There would be so many temptations for which direction to follow, need a week just to think on which way to go – ah’ the possibilities.

MY SKETCHBOOK Updated 05/08/08 - Critique and comments encouraged

Industrial Design Weekly Enviroment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steam Punk Underwater Castle.
    Alien Subway Train.

Thats all I can think of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How about ...

Robotic butcher

Stone Vegetation

Gasoline powered turtle neck sweater

Electric Dog polisher

Fur sink

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

nanobots

I posted an idea on the EOW thread... this is linked to that:

Nanobots:

Tiny machines (invisible to the naked eye) which are released into the atmosphere to perform a wide variety of tasks. Somethimes the bots can link up to perform larger tasks.

Examples of nanobots:

Spybots - military spec bots designed for espionage, need to be hard to detect
    Anti-spy bots - used to detect and destroy spybots (at any one moment there is a war raging between millions of nanobots, often without any human noticing)

Military/combat bots - how could nano bots become weapons?

Medical bots - pass through the human body cleansing, fixing, scanning...

NarcBots - travel up the nasal canal into the brain to administer narcotics to the customer (generally frowned upon by authorities)

SexBots - Attach themselves to customers erogenous zones in their billions, and then oscillate at certain frequencies.

Repair bots - repair fellow nanobot.

Remember - these things are SMALL... think of how the tecnology will look on such a small scale.... what materials will be used? how will the bots communicate? how will they be controlled? Fully autonomous or via a remote operator?

I think there is a lot of scope here...

Fall down seven times, stand up eight...
    My Sketchbook
    My tumblr

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 31