Art: An Unforseen Problem with Bristol Board
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: An Unforseen Problem with Bristol Board

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry An Unforseen Problem with Bristol Board

For my color theory final, I decided to do a series of five images influenced by the style of Alphonse Mucha. I researched Mucha's work and saw that the majority of his works were lithographs. Naturally I wasn't going to do something that intensive, so I changed my strategy and decided to do the pieces in colored pencil, using watercolor pencil to get the washy background effect I admire so much in Mucha's work.

Problem? My first two pieces are drawn on bristol board. And wouldn't you know it, it wasn't until I whipped out my newly purchased watercolored pencils to do a little test run on a spare sheet of bristol that I discovered bristol board doesn't like water any more than regular paper does. Bummer, huh?

So, my question to the conceptart crowd: Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can achieve the effect I want without utterly destroying a good few weeks of work? I've discovered that applying a very, very thin coat of water with the tip of my finger keeps the paper from buckling and does give an effect similar to what I want, but that was only on a small block of color; I can already imagine what the background of my piece would look like if I tried that method on the whole thing.

The project isn't due until November 16th, but I've still got to draw, ink and color four other images. Any timely help would earn you my undying worship and affection.

Pleeeeease?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Describe your first two pieces?

what medium did you use for it?

Ink?pencil?

Im Arif

Dutton Guest
    I'd suggest using Prismacolor pencils (which are oil based) and turpenoid for the same wash effect. The turpenoid evaporates fairly quickly without warping the board with the added bonus of it being easier to apply drybrush effects with prismas on top of your washes. Watercolor pencils tend to have a slick buildup on the surface that makes additional layering difficult without spraying it.
    For future work, I'd consider using illustration board over bristol. Make sure it's illustration board all the way through (Strathmore) and not a piece of bristol that's mounted onto cardboard. It's a little pricier than bristol, but if you're going to be doing something as elaborate as Mucha-style work, I'd go the extra mile and make your materials work for you and not against you.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reef: My first two pieces were drawn in pencil then inked with waterproof acrylic ink. Each one is 14x9 or so, so this project is going to take me forever. ;_;

Dutton: Thanks for the suggestion! I've heard of that technique but hadn't thought of using it. That will definitely make my life a lot easier.

I've never used illustration board before, though I have seen it in the local art store, and I didn't think of using it until I saw the results of my bristol/water experiment. Hindsight is 20/20, as they say. I think I'll invest in some of that for future projects.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.