Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Super realistic artist. U gotta check this out

It's almost impossible to tell that his paintings aren't pictures. (his oil and acrylic paintings)

Check it!
    http://www.helnwein.com/

-ink
    -http://iwasink.com/-
    DS Illustration
    "Get reference.
    There is nothing wrong with using a photo to help you see things.
    No one complains about life drawing,
    so take a photo.
    its easy, and will improve your piece greatly."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    wow! his realistic watercolors are pretty damn phenominal too.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    but it leaves me asking "why?" as I do anytime I see a truly successful photorealistic painting

Thanks
    He is crazy good. but I gotta say some real screwed up subject matter, I hate looking at that stuff. But his technique is outstanding!
    TIFFANY PROTHERO
    www.tprothero.com

Sketchbook Thread
    WIP Thread
    Finally Finished Thread
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    SSG Gilded

Wertle : Snowsfall : redFIVE : Danomight : Interceptor : bengonzalez : Kittywolf13 : Poise

Thanks
    Raur.. his acrylics are sick. Damn!

gotta love them watercolours too

Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks
    wish i could see these in person i feel cheated seeing them online on this scale.

Thanks
    Wow, sick subject matter, but man the dude is good. I feel depressed now.
    -Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo
    but it leaves me asking "why?" as I do anytime I see a truly successful photorealistic painting
    agreed. Its always been my thought that a drawing isnt to be like life.. its sposed to be better. whether clearer, more revealing, more fantastic.. etc. I can see doing it once or twice just to prove you can.. but not over and over. But whatever keeps the muse quiet I spose

the watercolors are amazing though. that's some extraordinary work.

Thanks
    i´m slightly surprised that you haven't heard of him before.

Thanks
    OKay, I'll bite..without clicking on his link, what exactly is his screwed up subject matter?

Thanks
    I love him. Hes one of my fave artists.
    Although his superrealistic watercolors are incredible, i still like his drawings. his sketchy, scribbly style comes together to make some damn impressive renderings, and his subjects are both disturbing, halarious, and bitingly sarcastic.

... i did not mean for that to be hearty eyes things. i do not use emoticons.
    so.
    lessthanthree.

Thanks
    I think his techical skill is off the scale, but his images do not speak to me.

Thanks
    this is like a slightly less disturbing odd nerdrum

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    I'll give you one possible reason...
    We are bombarded with images every day of our lives, and most of them, even the most dramatic or beautiful or horrific, simply wash over us. But, if you take a photographic image and reproduce it by hand, down to the smallest detail, people will pay attention to it, and see it, in a way they never would otherwise.
    Also, as jrr pointed out, this kind of work is inherently diminished by reproduction. Scale, surface quality, and the unique quality of "the object" play a huge part in its impact. Take those away and you are left with a copy of a copy of a copy of reality.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell
    I'll give you one possible reason...
    the question to me kinda implies a lack of interest in possible reasons

Thanks
    Well- One thing- It takes alot of fucking skill to reproduce reality. Moreso than anything else- Because we can't see beyond this plane. Recreating reality is a way of displaying skill- not to mention, some people just plain LIKE realism.

And I hope http://www.helnwein.com/stc/ghpicts/gh1732.jpg is 2 pics modified into one- Because she looks damn young.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan.v.D.
    the question to me kinda implies a lack of interest in possible reasons

Never stopped me before....

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    that might be the most beautiful cardboard on earth. But again, this is old news.

Thanks
    I hear you, and I totally appriciate the skill required to produce such a painting. But it's just not my thing I guess. Like an abstract piece that needs a title or explanation to be effective, the problem I have with photorealism is that it doesn't stand on its own as an image. You need to be told that you're not looking at a photograph. So impressive? By all means. But not a success as a painting if you are not aware that it is one.

Let's not confuse realism and photorealism either. I love realism. But I find photorealism cold.

I was looking through Alla Prima last night, and I find that style so much more interesting, because you're simultaneously aware that what you're seeing is paint (and quite harsh at times), but it's so beautifuly capturing the objects it's meant to represent.

Of course, it's all a matter of taste. And as I said, I certainly respect the skill required to achieve these paintings.

Thanks
    also want to make clear that I'm specificaly talking about the photorealist stuff (mixed media section so far as I see), not the watercolors, which I find much more interesting

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    exactly my thought. everything just left me cold - except for some landscapes i saw by him a couple of weeks ago.
    tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    the originals are rediculous. i have seen a couple of his shows. they are amazing. lewellyn drew his daughter nekkid as well -c36

Thanks
    Geeez - did you guys check the pics on his studio/house?

does anyone know anything about his working method? Does he use the grid method (alot of photorealist use that method - Chuck Close for example) ?
    just curious
    *:*www.scottaltmann.com*:*

Thanks
    Like an abstract piece that needs a title or explanation to be effective, the problem I have with photorealism is that it doesn't stand on its own as an image. You need to be told that you're not looking at a photograph. So impressive? By all means. But not a success as a painting if you are not aware that it is one.
    This is one of the problems with seeing reproductions. A reproduction of a photorealist painting should, by it's very nature, look like a photo. But a six foot tall painting doesn't look like a six foot tall photo enlargement. It looks like a painting.

BTW Dave, I basically agree with most of what you've said.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    a six foot tall painting doesn't look like a six foot tall photo enlargement
    a good point, the only photorealistic work I've ever seen in person has been on a pretty modest scale, which doesn't cary such impact

Thanks
    I would love to stand up in front of these with my nose to the canvas and just... stare
    I'm sure they are breathtaking in person.

Thanks
    Yeah I agree with Elwell, you gotta see work like this in person. I got to see some of Chuck Close's work in DC a long time ago, it just kind of strikes you. Looking down the hallway to see a gigantic realistic looking person made out of thumbprints.. its awesome.
    Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man
    I'm sure his pencil works would speak to most people - but about things we'd rather not hear.

Thanks
    hey dave check http://www.helnwein.com/werke/leinwand/bild_393.html]this[/URL] and look at the mouth and the skin texture and everything that's not only "photo realism" it´s more.
    it looks realistic but if you really look you'll notice so many things that are a matter of interpretation of the artist and there are so many descisions the artist had to make with every stroke.
    why are thousands of musicians trying to perfect their parts of certain symphonies when it´s already been done thousands of times before and there are hundreds of exellent performances available on cds? i´d say because there's a certain magic to exellent human performance that never gets old. every human performance no matter how perfect it seems at first glance has has a multitude of nuances that are different everytime and can never be exactly reproduced. another thing that always makes me wonder ist that if you make 5 of the best realist painters and make them paint the exact same thing chances are that the 5 results won't have much more in common than the results of 5 beginners.

i can of course understand where your coming from, but i think that one of your subconscious reasons is the fact that you're trying to be an artist yourself and trying to find your style and place in the art world, and therefore have to decide what you want and and what not. so you are necessarily very biased regarding topics affecting that which you do.

my guess is that 7 out of 10 normal non-artist people will be more affected by something photo realistic than by a richard schmidt painting. and to discard that fact is to discard an important tool.

that topic really got my thinking again since yesterday and those are a few points that came to mind. someday i´ll visit a "make a proper article out of a stupid rant" school haha

Thanks
    Not my "type" of style...but I like it a lot.

Having said that, I realized different artists will find their niche with their skills. I can't remember which artist it was, he's a hyper realistic airbrush artist. And while I think going towards hyper realism is not quite productive as an artist, what he said applies. Basically photography today still cannot achieve certain composition, angles or detail that his clients soemtime require. So they turn to him.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast